What happened to my storage memory?

Using applications, configuring, problems
XBlackChaosX

What happened to my storage memory?

#1 Post by XBlackChaosX »

Earlier today i had 760mb free of personal storage space left but after 2 hours of internet browsing and updating a few repos i now have 408MB left, ANy idea what happened and what can i erase to get my space left. I am running Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 off a 4GB flash drive.

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

So many people reading your question and none try to help you.

Unfortunately I am not a good helper either. But this problem you notice
has many solutions and spread all over the forum many good Puppy users have suggested very many solutions to it.

Most likely it has to do with Cache of Firefox and Flash adding a big list of sites them know try to exploit vulnerabilities in Flash player.

1. The puppy savefile which you refers to also don't delete it only mark files and then them are invisible but still there so that can also make it fast get used up.

So you need to get aware of all the little details and decide on how to deal with them.
2. You could look in /root/.mozilla/ for Firefox cache
you have to allow Rox to show hidden files by clicking on the "Eye"

Go to Edit Preferences and privacy and change how you have set up the history and cache there so it get deleted when you shut down FF.

That would make it eat up less space.

3. Another suggestion them have given us is to place the whole .mozilla outside of pupsavefile on /mnt/home/ that way it does not get saved to pupsavefile but get saved on your hdd which has many GB to allow for history if you want to keep all history and cache.

So try to search for all the suggestions them have given us this last year or two and try them one and decide which one is best for you.

One can always rename the savfile and start anew now when you know how to make it less bloated. Rename it in a way that it don't get loaded.

lupesave I rename to dupedave and that way it don't get loaded.
If the current one get corrupted then I only have to rename the corrupted one and rename the old one to the proper name and that backup will be the working lupesave file
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

Nooby is right, the most likely problem is your browser. Browsers use a cache file, which is basically a storage area for things it might need again such as graphics from pages you visit. This way, the browser can load those from the hard drive next time you visit that page, which makes you think the browser is very fast.
You can limit this storage area size in Firefox, Seamonkey, and Opera, but Chromium/Google-Chrome is a perfect s*d over this, giving you no way to limit it.
Set size in browser preferences, and also check clear on exit if your browser has that option. 5MB is a good compromise.
If you are using Chrome, you need to clear the cache via the browser menu, clear private data. When I forget this for a while, the cache in Chrome regularly exceeds 250MB... nuts!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

As part of what DaveS said, if you figure out where those cached files are written, you can move that directory to /mnt/home and then create a system link to it in the original spot it was located. The problem with trying to put it in the /tmp directory with a system link is that on a reboot, it disappears, but the link does not. So that could cause problems with the browser.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

I wonder about this.

You boot from a 4GB usb flash memory as I get you.

Do you have Ms Windows then on the internal hdd and don't want to
change any of that?

Do you own that computer or is it at School or Work or your parents or at friends you visit during a vacation something? You maybe work abroad and only borrow the computer?

I mean why don't you make a frugal install and that would make it more easy to get the whole hdd as a place for accidental big cache? :)

Is it really true that the cache that one delete does not end up on the USB either way? I know too little but it is not logical to me because I have read that the files in the pupsave file only get marked unvisible
and not really get back but why do them say that when I do remember that one can see that it does increase storage if one delete the cache.

so something is odd. or at least I am very confused. Which is more likely

anyway how one do the move of .mozilla to the /mnt/home/

Problem is that if you boot up from usb then your preferred partition on the hdd to put .mozilla on may not be mounted so you have to mount it each time before trying to start up Firefox.

So you have two boxes or windows open with Rox side by side.
one from the USB /root with .mozilla in view and then /mnt/home on the internal hdd also in view and you drag the .mozilla using the mouse
holding down the left button and then releasing it and then you get choices and chose move and then let it take its time. Several minutes?
okay at least many seconds. Then you do the opposite.

you click on the .mozilla and drag it back but chose make symbolic absolute link instead of copy or move.

And that will allow you to have some 20 mb plus cache of FF on the hdd instead of growing on the usb pupsave file.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

XBlackChaosX

#6 Post by XBlackChaosX »

Thanks to everyone for responding,

Sorry i forgot too mention that i was using Firefox 7.0.1. I did erase all history and saved data including cookies and cache via firefox settings and i set it up to delete all data after closing firefox (i'm using Lastpass & Xmarks so no need to keep data on puppy). I still have about 300MB of data missing, i'm purchasing a 16GB flash drive soon for puppy,XBMC (for streaming media purposes) and for all of my portable apps that i made for windows, but i still wanna learn how to manage data on here.

I still wanted to link the .mozilla folder to an outside folder on my flash drive but i did not know whether to choose the relative or absolute link options, Hopefully someone can help with that.

As this my first time using puppy and i'm kind of a noob in linux period so i'm still trying to learn how to mess around with puppy. Linux is so complicated but i'm trying, any extra help in learning how to mess with puppy would be very appreciated.

Too nooby concerning using my pc situation, I'm using puppy mainly on my desktop, i don't wanna use my HDD for puppy cause i wanna keep everything portable so if i'm using another pc somewhere else alway from home i would like to have access to my puppy save file.