Slacko RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
8-bit

#141 Post by 8-bit »

Did you check the md5sum of the ISO to be sure you got a good download? I have had bad downloads happen.
Just curious. I am running from it right now from a frugal install and it seems to be working fine on my desktop PC.

8-bit

#142 Post by 8-bit »

I went to the Bacon site and downloaded the slackware source for the Bacon converter and had a successful compile.
So if you want to give it a try, run the bacon.bash script from a terminal with devx and kernel source SFS files loaded.
You should end up with a working Bacon binary.
The tar.gz file does not include any examples though.
I guess you cannot have everything.
But other than adding slacko to the filename of the compressed package to specify what it is for, I did nothing else.

The original I downloaded would not compile the 99 bottles of beer source and this one does.
You will have to check the Bacon thread for links to get the examples.
Attachments
slacko-bacon.tar.gz
Bacon converter. Further info can be found in the Bacon thread.
(69.64 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

tasmod

#143 Post by tasmod »

otropogo,

That's strange because it is in the pet. :?

It's just a small text file.

I've attached a copy with tar.gz which it isn't, the forum won't take txt files..

Just rename it to just COPYING
Attachments
COPYING.tar.gz
(17.64 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

01micko

#144 Post by 01micko »

I'll need some help.

Emil and Shino have provided some useful sfs and pets.

I'm thinking to create a wiki page with direct links to these and other useful Slacko info and access this page from the Slickpet news tab. (Lobster?) At the moment I have very limited time and bandwidth.

I didn't see any feedback on coolpup's java package. (1.7). I'd like to direct link this in Slickpet as an sfs and have a pet in the repo.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jades

#145 Post by Jades »

Wireless performance with my Netgear WN111v2 USB wireless dongle still seems to be considerably worse than it is on Lupu. General surfing, like reading these forums, isn't too bad, but performance while downloading large files and watching video is still very poor. There's also audible interference when the speakers are on and trying to surf the net is giving me 80s flashbacks when pages are downloading. ;-)

I'm currently using a Live CD install using the pupsave I created in Beta 5 but will try to create a new save and see if it makes any difference. On a positive note, the icons in Network Wizard which had diappeared in the previous build have come back.

Other than the wireless issue, Slacko does seem to run well on the Pentium D. Unfortunately I'm currently unable to comment on the performance on the K6 as that machine's power supply has pretty much had it.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

charlie6

#146 Post by charlie6 »

deleted
Last edited by charlie6 on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#147 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko, coolpup, Emil, Shinobar et al,

coolpup's Java 1.7 sfs works for me.

Emil's Combined Maths sfs appears to be fine (but, it will take me some time to study tutorials on how I might try to use the individual programs).

When I have time, I will have another look in case I missed any of Shinobar's pets which may be useful to me.

My full time test of Slacko 5.29.5 continues to be stable and first class.

My regards to all and special thanks to all those mentioned in despatches and those who help behind the scenes.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#148 Post by Lobster »

I'm thinking to create a wiki page with direct links to these and other useful Slacko info and access this page from the Slickpet news tab. (Lobster?)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SlackoNews
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#149 Post by Sage »

power supply has pretty much had it.
'pretty much' - what does that mean? Either it's dead or not? If it needs cleaning just hose it and dry it + lube the fan. If it's dead, check the caps for bulges, fuses for continuity and varistors. Rarely anything else in a PSU.
Whatever, please edit your profile to show your location. If you are in the UK I can probably offer you a replacement, gratis.

Iguleder

#150 Post by Iguleder »

OMG! Slacko is so awesome.

Running it on a Core 2 Duo machine with an nVidia 7300 GS GPU, all detected correctly and working. :D

Here's a screeny of a nice trick I did - I'm running a SSH server (Dropbear, to be more percise - the best there is, about 100 K!) and connecting it from my cheap netbook so I can take advantage of the fast processor to compile packages for Slacko.

Today I improved the whole setup and enabled X11 forwarding (01micko: thanks for including xauth!); I can even run Seamonkey on my netbook while the PC does the actual surfing (e.g like a proxy, but with the brower running on the proxy with the window tunneled to the client over SSH).

Extremely cool Puppy, keep up the good work! :)
Attachments
dropbear.png
(123.2 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

otropogo

#151 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:Did you check the md5sum of the ISO to be sure you got a good download? I have had bad downloads happen.
Just curious. I am running from it right now from a frugal install and it seems to be working fine on my desktop PC.
Yes. Checked the md5sum of the downloaded iso, and again of the burned CD. No problems booting or running Slacko from the CD, only when trying with the freshly made ext3 2fs file.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

otropogo

#152 Post by otropogo »

tasmod wrote:otropogo,

That's strange because it is in the pet. :?

It's just a small text file.

I've attached a copy with tar.gz which it isn't, the forum won't take txt files..

Just rename it to just COPYING
You've lost me. What are you referring to in your post?

rcrsn51

#153 Post by rcrsn51 »

aarf wrote:Webcam app? I would have it as essential.
The guvcview package from Lupu works, but only after tracking down some dependencies. I could throw together a PET, but it would probably be better if it was made from Slackware packages.

tasmod

#154 Post by tasmod »

otropogo,

You mentioned problems with Xfprot missing a file. It should have been in the downloaded pet.
I checked and it certainly is, that's why I was puzzled it is missing.

I posted a copy of that missing file with the extention tar.gz

It's not a tar.gz file, that was just a rename so it could be posted as the forum can only accept certain file types in the threads.

Download the file and then just rename it to COPYING that's it, nothing else.

Place the file in the /usr/local/share/xfprot directory.

If all else fails, see my post in the Additional Software / Security section of the forum where you can download the complete pet.
Rob
-

tasmod

#155 Post by tasmod »

otropogo and Mick,

Apologies for this but the pet in the Security section splits itself up to two Xfprot main directories that aren't in the original. :? :?

I don't know why the pet did this.

I've petted it again in a fresh frugal install of Slacko and now it installs to correct directories.

This probably wouldn't have hurt it anyway as it launched but complained of the missing text file.

The Additional Software/Security section has a correct pet now.

EDIT: Ahhh got it now. I had Xfprot-2.4 directory which I intended to pet using dir2pet BUT there was also a Xfprot-2.4-i486 directory which dir2pet picked up and included as well.
Rob
-

otropogo

#156 Post by otropogo »

tasmod wrote:otropogo,

You mentioned problems with Xfprot missing a file. It should have been in the downloaded pet.
I checked and it certainly is, that's why I was puzzled it is missing.

I posted a copy of that missing file with the extention tar.gz

It's not a tar.gz file, that was just a rename so it could be posted as the forum can only accept certain file types in the threads.

Download the file and then just rename it to COPYING that's it, nothing else.

Place the file in the /usr/local/share/xfprot directory.
OK. I follow you now - a brief quote would have saved a lot of typing...

However, that wasn't the only error message, and I rather doubt that not finding the GPL notice would have prevented x-fprot from going online to pick up the latest signature file.

I wonder whether the problem stems from the fact that I hadn't made a first save yet, and had no 2fs file? It wouldn't be the first time that inadequate documentation has crippled Puppy.

If all else fails, see my post in the Additional Software / Security section of the forum where you can download the complete pet.
OK. Thanks. Unfortunately, since trying to install and run x-fprot I've encountered a fatal problem with Slacko - the inability to reboot with a 2fs file. At this point I'm deliberating whether it's worth the effort to go several more rounds and maybe waste several more hours on this distro. So far the error messages I've posted haven't rung any bells, and I certainly can't make any sense of them.

I'll try booting from the CD once more this weekend with the USB3 machine, just to see whether Slacko includes a USB3 driver. If it does, I'll try to address the critical problem of not being able to save my configuration. And if that works, then I'll look at making x-fprot function.

otropogo

DVD-RAM support in Slacko?

#157 Post by otropogo »

One thing I hoped to find in Slacko that definitely is missing in Puppy is support for DVD-RAM and the ability to write to a DVD as though it were a hard drive.

Has anyone tried this?

I mention it because SLAX is able to read and write to such discs formated in Windows7. Puppy, OTOH, can't even mount them.

rcrsn51

#158 Post by rcrsn51 »

otropogo wrote:Unfortunately, since trying to install and run x-fprot I've encountered a fatal problem with Slacko - the inability to reboot with a 2fs file.
That's not true in general. I just did a frugal install with a vanilla slackosave.2fs file and it worked fine. Please describe your setup.

otropogo

#159 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
otropogo wrote:Unfortunately, since trying to install and run x-fprot I've encountered a fatal problem with Slacko - the inability to reboot with a 2fs file.
That's not true in general. I just did a frugal install with a vanilla slackosave.2fs file and it worked fine.
I'm sure it did, but that's of no help to me.
rcrsn51 wrote:Please describe your setup.
Nothing extraordinary. I'm running an Intel 865GLC MoBo with 2GB of RAM, a couple of 250GB WD hdds, and a couple of monitors on a 256MB ATI X15500 video card. All of the above work fine with lupu 5.2.8 and Puppy 4.3.1, after a bit of wrestling with the xorg wizard over resolution and refresh rates.

At shutdown I chose saving to a Vfat partition on sdb2 using a 512MB ext3 2fs file, no encryption. There was plenty of room for it on the partition.

There were no error messages, but on reboot, the system locked up trying to load, displaying the lines I cited. It's the first time I've used the ext3 format for a 2fs file, so maybe that has something to do with the failure to load. Or maybe 512MB wasn't enough space for adobe flash, fprot, xfprot, Gimp2.7, and the repository databases?

I did notice the lack of a pmount icon on the desktop, and the fact that one of the drive icons disappeared from the desktop just by right clicking on it once. I had no idea how to get it back, and I confess it made me a bit antsy...

Update: Have just gone two more round with Slacko. First I booted a third time with the 3fs file, and got third lockup with yet another set of lines displayed. This time "BUG" didn't appear, butI got:
[48.613336] NULL pointer deference at 00004e
a few lines before everything locked up.

I then rebooted clean, reconfigured the display, downloaded fprot and xfprot from ibiblios again, and installed (no missing dependencies, no errors), got the warning that "copy" is missing, clicked "agree" on the blank window that should contain the text of the GPL. Then tried to update fprot again, and got the same error message as previously:
/tmp/xterm_simulate_hold.sh:line 2:null:command not found.
and txfprot failed to go online to download the latest virus signatures.

Finally, I shut down, and this time selected saving to a 2fs file of 32MB. Again, no error messages. On reboot, I got a menu of both the 3fs file and the 2fs, and chose the latter. And got a fourth lockup, with yet a fourth set of final texts on the display, including:
[87.423861] Code: Bad EIP value
And that marks the end of my investment in Slacko. I don't have time for this.

I hope that these posts will be of some use to others, and that this exercise will not be a complete waste. This experience reinforces my long-held view that there is simply not enough coding capability available in the Puppy community to create and maintain several distinct versions concurrently.

This bounty of choices may be the delight of tinkerers and for those who just play around with their PCs, but for those of us who need a reliable platform to perform important tasks, it's making Puppy unusable.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#160 Post by Lobster »

I hope that these posts will be of some use to others
All feedback is useful. :)

Our chief developer will be back in 3 days (apparently delayed) from his killing spree (gone fishing)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 290#572290
and will be compiling from the latest woof released today.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02542

Micko writes:
Hopefully by tomorrow I can get out rc2, or if not final in a few days.
Developing a new version is not easy. I have been using Slacko Puppy 5.3 (known as Spot at the time) since May 2011. For the first two weeks I could get not even get to the desktop. So testing is frustrating. :?

Have you considered fishing? I am still running from those fisher men . . . that relieves the tension . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 760#528798
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D