Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jhecht

#381 Post by jhecht »

I just installed Lucid Puppy 5.28 and am deliriously happy with it! Then I d/l the Instant Update 001 and ran it. IIRC, the prompt at the end said to look for a menu entry under 'System' to run the update. I looked - but no entry. Is there a way to find out if IU 001 installed?

Beaucoup thanks to all for such a great Puppy and rapid fixes! :D

rerwin

#382 Post by rerwin »

playdayz, scsijon, majorfoo,
At last, I have the changes for making a boot disk without the popup and retaining the selected language/locale! The attached "patch-7" is the same as patch-6 plus updated versions of the delayedrun and remasterpup2 scripts. Here is how it works.

To make a boot disk, run the remaster function and select to customize the /etc directory. In addition to the way customization has always worked, now the locale in effect when the remaster is done is propagated to the new CD. In addition, if the Personalize Settings function is part of the distro, a flag is created to cause the popup to be skipped.

I consider this to be an extension of the customization option. If one needs to use a boot disk with multiple locales, each locale must be remastered onto its own CD. Non-customized remasters are not affected, at all.

If anyone objects to the change in customization, please report that here so I can address the issue. Also, I hope several of you who use locales other than en_US will test this, to be sure everything related to locales still works as you expect with the remastered CD. Thanks.

Regarding majorfoo's concern about the "message that puppy was not shut down properly" when booting a remastered CD, the indication of that, hidden file /etc/.XLOADED, does not get copied into the remastered CD image. At least I don't see how it could be, in the remasterpup2 script. Please try again with 528 to see if it still happens, and let me know.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 01:30, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#383 Post by playdayz »

Is there a way to find out if IU 001 installed?
jhect, Yes. Click the Install icon on the desktop, then click the bottom button on the dialogue that opens, Run Puppy Package Manager. Then look in the bottom right corner of Puppy Package Manager to see if Instant Update 001 is listed as installed.

There should be on "pup-up" titled Alert that is about PupControl. That will take effect the next time you start so don't worry about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you rerwin. I am starting to assemble Instant Update 002 now. I will post a test version in a few days.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 01:12, edited 4 times in total.

playdayz

#384 Post by playdayz »

I boot 'all puppy's' from a CD
sszindian, This is going to sound weird, but I have seen it myself, that's why I asked. Sometimes Puppy would give me a Kernel Panic when booting a Live CD. I was puzzled and frustrated but on a whim I rearranged the CD and HDD connections to the motherboard. With SATA drives there are several possible connections for each. Believe it or not, Lucid then booted where the same CD had given a kernel panic earlier. I can only conclude it is something about timing or priority of the drives, who knows. This has happened twice with two different Lucids--5.2.8 was one of them. I am not suggesting you rearrange your drive cables--a Live CD should not have that problem, but as I said, I have seen it twice and rearranging the cables fixed it both times. However, as far as I can recall, the problem arose in trying to boot the LiveCD, not after it had booted and created a savefile. In fact, consider carefully if you are not comfortable inside your computer.

Why this happens in some versions and not others??? No idea.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 16:30, edited 2 times in total.

scsijon

Report on full upgrade of 535 to 528 for rerwin/richard

#385 Post by scsijon »

Sorry it's a bit long winded, but richard did ask for a detailed report.

Problems found are listed with a line starting with #
Comments are listed with a line starting with !
and Questions listed with a ?

-----------------
PRELIM Specs

Workstation ID
Box1

Partition Used
/sda1

Install type
Upgrade without removal of old data / files

hardinfo
---------
-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 3107MB (191MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time :
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Receiver
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF
hp_deskjet_3320
pdf_writer : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA Hitachi HDT72101
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N
---------------

box1-lspci
------------
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub (rev 04)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 04)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 04)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
03:01.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 11) (rev 11)

-----------------
upgrade starts here:-

Install from CD using "puppy pfix=ram,noswap"
-----------------

all ok through selecting zone and video to desktop
! why is en-us the default and not en-au

menu>setup>puppy universal installer

!all ok to clicking upgrade button
!I wonder if it should include the word upgrade in pui's first screen?

!executing rc.update script

?newgrub.txt is missing the grub menu script part, it only has grub4dos

-----------------
all seems ok with upgrade, reboot next
-----------------
shutdown

?0 it wanted to create a savefile, I did so with defaults
?should this step be missed with a full upgrade?
-------------------
reboot
------------------
!1 Had to re-setup zone and video again after reboot, why?

#2 Upgrade has reset the desktop defaults to default, not left them to the
changed values, also has reset font type and size to default. !these
settings should not change for an upgrade!

#3 I was in jwm before upgrade, I have been reset to openbox. !these
settings should not change for an upgrade!

!4 The words below the connect and quickpet icons are overlapping, making
both hard to read. !maybe a double rowspace or a blank needs to be added!

?5 PPM shows applications that are already installed back in the uninstalled
lists, even though they are also shown in the installed list. !does this
relate to the versions in each I wonder!

#6 /usr/share/backgrounds has deleted my added backgrounds and installed and
set it's own, !had to reinstall and setup again. ?could an upgrade be set
so it doesn't delete and change defaults, just add the missing ones?

#7 There needs to be a check if the earlier devx is installed (in my case it
was lupu_devx_525.sfs) and somehow uninstall it's components so that there
is no clashes between revisions(, a devx does NOT show in ppm as
installed).! I did it manually, took about an hour, think/hope I got
everything! Installed lupu_devx_528.sfs afterwards, basic commands now
work, yet to test a application build though!

?8 I seem to have lost some 5gig of files in the upgrade according to partview,
I expected to loose some in the upgrade cleanup, but also expected others
to have replaced most of it, surely there was not that much junk left from
the earlier 520>525 upgrade? !see #10 for part of it, the rest I still
have no idea of!

#9 The old problem of application window and screen boundaries are back! !it
seems like to left and bottom edges are correctly placed, but the top and
right edges are extended beyond the desktop, even when it's been set for
only ONE virtual desktop!

#10 Found my /opt has lost it's added applications, we were back to having only the java link, applications that were located there are still listed in the ppm as installed.!reinstalled ok.

#11 Found the jwm tray settings were also reset to default, had to change back
three times before they would 'stick', even with restarting jwm. !these
settings should not be changed for an upgrade!

!12 I dropped from jwm to the #prompt (shutdown>exit to prompt), manually
started xwin in openbox with 'xwin openbox', found I had to setup timezone
and video again as if a new install. !Ok on drop out again and restarting
either openbox or jwm again!

!13 Upgraded jwm with barry's jwm2-505 pet. !A WARNING needs to be added as a
splash screen to the preinstall of this pet that it shouldn't be backed
out as it will remove just about everything relating to jwm. !It also
returns jwm's menu's to it's old format (pre v5).

#14 Found the application offedge problem, however also found that for an
application with tabs, sometimes the tabs only work when in this mode,
if using the maximize button, sometimes the tabs no longer respond when
maximized.

#15 Found that the mouse-arrow-tip is actually offcentre, looks like it's now
the black part of the tip not the white border tip has become the contact
point.

?16 A shutdown now says "Lucid is now shutting down", ?didn't it use to say the
puppy version at this point?

------------
Other than the the application window boundaries being affected, the missing
apps in /opt and desktop defaults being reset everything seemed ok at this
point....

However,
------------
#17 I also found out that /etc/profile file had also been replaced with
a new one and the old was no more. This would normally cause no problems,
except a number of installed applications had added a few 'set ..... and
PATH="$PATH:/.... additions, these were now lost. Maybe the old one needs
to be renamed profile.old or something and if different, a splash screen
is added asking for it to be checked after upgrade.

--------------
I'm up, running again, after a few probems and obvious fixes. I still need
fixes for some of them though, the #9 / #14 problem to start with must be a priority.

Instant update-001 has been added! No noticed changes at this point!

!Over too you....................

regards
scsijon

EDIT 1: 12 Oct 2011
For Problems #9 / #14, a temporary solution has been found, however i'd rather a better one that doesn't alter sizes of characters on the screen.
Problem seems to relate to the space needed to display the overall data in it's window.

Possible solutions (that work) are to either,

1/ Reduce the Global Font Size (Menu>Desktop>Desktop Settings>Set Global Font Size),
or,
2/ Increase the Xorg Screen Resolution (Menu>Setup>Xorg Video Wizard>Resolution Changer)

I shall continue.... :wink: debuging.
Last edited by scsijon on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#386 Post by playdayz »

Does anyone happen to know/remember whether it is better to set the default in mplayer/gnome-mplayer to deinterlace by default or not to deinterlace? Thanks.

pemasu

#387 Post by pemasu »

Interlaced is for CRT monitors. LCD and plasma screens needs deinterlaced video.
Gnome-Mplayer has deinterlaced enabled as default, I think.

bigpup

Re: Report on full upgrade of 535 to 528 for rerwin/richard

#388 Post by bigpup »

scsijon wrote:upgrade starts here:-

Install from CD using "puppy pfix=ram,noswap"
-----------------
menu>setup>puppy universal installer

!all ok to clicking upgrade button
!I wonder if it should include the word upgrade in pui's first screen?

all seems ok with upgrade, reboot next
-----------------
shutdown

?0 it wanted to create a savefile, I did so with defaults
------------------
Anytime you run a live CD of Puppy with the option puppy pfix=ram.
When shutting down or rebooting, it wil ask to make a save file. It was running with no save file so thinks you need one.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Geoffrey

#389 Post by Geoffrey »

playdayz,

It appears that there is a problem, I noticed this when running Menu Entry Maker from the terminal and select the combobox for Start with or Category

Code: Select all

(gtkdialog3:2385): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8518a70' 
can anyone else confirm this is the case, I've posted this error on the Gtkdialog Development thread.

Geoffrey

EDIT: it appears that combobox widget (deprecated)
Last edited by Geoffrey on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#390 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:
Regarding majorfoo's concern about the "message that puppy was not shut down properly" when booting a remastered CD, the indication of that, hidden file /etc/.XLOADED, does not get copied into the remastered CD image. At least I don't see how it could be, in the remasterpup2 script. Please try again with 528 to see if it still happens, and let me know.
Richard
When I remaster a live cd, after adding all the changes I want, I delete /root in /tmp directory and copy changed root directory to /tmp.
Next I delete /etc in /tmp directory and copy changed etc directory to /tmp.
Reason for this is to insure that ALL changes I made carried forward to the new iso.
My method apparently is what caused the minor problems that I mentioned.

I installed update 001 and your patch 007, remastered and still had the personalize settings screen on reboot of remastered cd and the error that puppy was not shut down properly.

Tried again following your instructions above and did not receive any errors.

Apparently I am only user remastering this way. Not a problem as I know how to work around it .

thanks for your help

majorfoo

radky

#391 Post by radky »

playdayz

#392 Post by playdayz »

Interlaced is for CRT monitors. LCD and plasma screens needs deinterlaced video.
Gnome-Mplayer has deinterlaced enabled as default, I think.
Thanks pemasu, that confirms what I have discovered also. Yes, gnome-mplayer is deinterlaced by default. XineDVD was not however and that will change in Update 002.

playdayz

#393 Post by playdayz »

I noticed this when running Menu Entry Maker from the terminal and select the combobox for Start with or Category
Code:
(gtkdialog3:2385): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8518a70'

can anyone else confirm this is the case, I've posted this error on the Gtkdialog Development thread.
Thanks Geoffrey. That appears to be a Warning. Did the program crash or keep running successfully? If it crashed then I need to do something, but if it kept running successfully then I don't--maybe the gtkdialog team does ;-)

Geoffrey

#394 Post by Geoffrey »

playdayz wrote:
I noticed this when running Menu Entry Maker from the terminal and select the combobox for Start with or Category
Code:

Thanks Geoffrey. That appears to be a Warning. Did the program crash or keep running successfully? If it crashed then I need to do something, but if it kept running successfully then I don't--maybe the gtkdialog team does ;-)
The program still runs fine, might have to rewrite it at a later date though, I guess some of the other older scripts will suffer the same fate.

The only reason I was concerned was that when I tried writing a small script using combobox it didn't function as it should which left me scratching my head.

Geoffrey

rerwin

#395 Post by rerwin »

majorfoo wrote:When I remaster a live cd, after adding all the changes I want, I delete /root in /tmp directory and copy changed root directory to /tmp.
Next I delete /etc in /tmp directory and copy changed etc directory to /tmp.
Reason for this is to insure that ALL changes I made carried forward to the new iso.
majorfoo,
I don't think puppy should make that necessary, since a remaster is intended to include your changes. By overriding what remastering does with the /root and /etc directories, you included files that should not get propagated (.XLOADED) and lost the flag set by remaster to suppress the popup.

As I understand, remaster overrides only those /root and /etc files that are essential for puppy's internal integrity. Since I am still messing with remasterpup2, could you point out specific files that you need to retain but that puppy replaces, so I can look into making remaster more accommodating?

One file might be /etc/profile. I am not sure which components modify that file, but I gather that some applications update it. In my patch-7, I copy the selected language/locale into it, but leave the rest as in the puppy-distro version. I assume Barry does not simply copy that file into the remaster for a good reason. But it also seems that one would want to keep items needed by added applications. So, I am being cautious about copying the entire file, until I hear more about what is needed. This sounds like a file that has too many updaters, for different purposes, so it is difficult to sort out which parts are controlled by puppy, and which by others.

If you can give me details, I might be able to simplify your remastering process. But keep in mind that the process already gives you the opportunity to modify /root and /etc, to add your own individual files. Thanks.
Richard

majorfoo

#396 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:
If you can give me details, I might be able to simplify your remastering process. But keep in mind that the process already gives you the opportunity to modify /root and /etc, to add your own individual files. Thanks.
Richard
I boot live cd and add my preferred pets and changes such as browser, xscreensaver, wbar, audacious and others.

During the remaster process at the screen where you can make changes to root directory, I do folllowing

Open rox and go to /tmp directory. There I delete the /root directory

Open rox again and copy /root directory to /tmp directory and click ok

On the next screen which allows changes to etc directory
I click yes
on the next screen where it allows you to modify files in /tmp/etc directory,

Open rox and go to /tmp directory. There I delete the /etc directory

Open rox again and copy /etc directory to /tmp then click yes to continue

Following these steps, when I boot the remastered cd I get the message that puppy was not shut down properly last time and also get the personalize settings screen on the desktop.

If I DO NOT delete the /etc directroy in /tmp and simply click yes on first screen and yes on second screen, then everything works properly. No message about prior shutdown and no personalize settings again on desktop.

The reason I delete the etc directory in /tmp and replace with other copy is to insure that all changes I have made are carried forward to the remastered cd. In particular, I modify rc-shutdown n /etc/rc.d by commenting out lines 721 through 735 so that the remastered copy will not ask to save to cd, save to file, do not save.

Hope this makes sense

majorfoo

Geoffrey

#397 Post by Geoffrey »

Geoffrey wrote:
playdayz wrote:
Code:

The program still runs fine, might have to rewrite it at a later date though, I guess some of the other older scripts will suffer the same fate.

The only reason I was concerned was that when I tried writing a small script using combobox it didn't function as it should which left me scratching my head.

Geoffrey
playdayz,

It looks as if combobox functionality is limited now, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 807#572807

rerwin

Patch 8, for remaster issues

#398 Post by rerwin »

Playdayz, scsijon, majorfoo,
The attached patch-8 is the same as patch-7 plus updated versions of 3 scripts:
  • - remasterpup2 - omits some modem daemon and other user-space components that get installed as needed from firmware tarballs, so do not need to be there twice.
    - remasterpup2 - Accommodates user replacement of the generated /root and /etc directories with the complete directories, preserving the no-popup indicator and removing .XLOADED (to avoid a message during each boot of the CD.)
    - rc.shutdown - skips prompting for saving of personal data if this (null) file is present: /etc/personal_data_save_disabled. The user must create that file, as no other creation tool is included.
    - puppyinstaller - For update of a full installation, the /etc/profile file is copied as /tmp/profile-before_upgrade, so the user can retrieve its content for merging into the generated profile file.
While the installer mod is a partial fix for scsijon's issues with full-install upgrades, the rest are further support for creation of CDs used for running without saving personal data (boot CDs).

Majorfoo's technique of remastering the entire /root and /etc directories seems to help with getting complete remasters, but may propagate some files that are not desired. I consider this somewhat experimental, but want to facilitate the process where I can. One thing: the user should not remove the .XLOADED file manually, as it is used to detect that the full directory is to be remastered, and is then removed.
Richard

scsijon

#399 Post by scsijon »

thanks richard, that should at least fix that problem!

Has anyone got a pet of zenity around for 528? I have an unknown app on my box that seems to want something from it, but I can't find which one as ppm's dependancy checker says no against each package. I just get annoying popup's ocassionally saying their missing and asking for them. The strange thing is the box also wants openssh and xdelta3, which are already there.

thanks

scsijon

majorfoo

Re: Patch 8, for remaster issues

#400 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:
Majorfoo's technique of remastering the entire /root and /etc directories seems to help with getting complete remasters, but may propagate some files that are not desired. I consider this somewhat experimental, but want to facilitate the process where I can. One thing: the user should not remove the .XLOADED file manually, as it is used to detect that the full directory is to be remastered, and is then removed.
Richard
Booted live cd of lucid-528
Installed Update-001 and Patch-008

Made changes and ran remaster script

Replaced /root in direcotry /tmp
Replaced /etc in directory /tmp

Booted remastered cd and everything works. No message about previous shutdown and no personalize settings on desktop.

Remastered again

Replaced /root in directory /tmp

This time I DID NOT replace /etc in directory /tmp

Answered yes to both screens regarding /etc

Booted remastered cd and everything works.

Thank you for these changes.

majorfoo