Slacko RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aarf

#121 Post by aarf »

Webcam app? I would have it as essential.

8-bit

#122 Post by 8-bit »

Not to sound dumb, but I noticed devx for compiling in Slacko RC seems to be missing from the additional SFS files in Slacko's replacement for quickpet. The kernel source SFS is there, but not the devx.
Or am I looking in the wrong place?

My sound being muted on booting is now history and works fine.

Also, when I check /tmp/xerrs.log, I have to say that is the least amount of errors I have seen in any Puppy.
Of course, I have not tried installing desktop widgets.
That usually shows a bunch of errors on configuration files not being found and positioning errors as to configuration files also not found.

But I love to see an xerrs.log that is almost empty.
It tells me you are on the right track with bug squishing.
You must be pretty good at a game called "Bop the Mole". :lol:

I am still trying to figure out why a save to the pupsave file is so slow from the desktop when compared to shutdown or reboot.

Also, I did not mention this before, but I had tried to modify rc.shutdown to comment out the three parts that save to the pupsave and that is what initially got me into trouble as commenting out those lines also evidently breaks the desktop save.

James C

#123 Post by James C »

Just finished a manual frugal install on the old P3 test box.Really short and sweet.....no problems yet. :)

Iguleder

#124 Post by Iguleder »

Finally I was able to download the RC at a reasonable speed.

I'm running my package builder against it, small packages should arrive soon :)

I expect most of them to be smaller than those we use now, maybe we could replace some packages with those to save some size.

EDIT: here's a sample: 157 KB, while the package we use now is 284 KB.
Attachments
gftp-2.0.19.pet
(157.07 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Sage

#125 Post by Sage »

Webcam app? I would have it as essential.
Every other distro has one, at least in their repo. I've raised the issue already, but apart from some recent misunderstandings, it gets ignored. We used to have a live discussion by 'nickbiker' the world's leading expert on webcams, kams, cams, w.h.y., but he left the stage a long time ago. His website was still up, though about a couple of years back. More recently, I offered this link to BK:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... sb-webcams

As for savefiles, I have never ever used them, but recently ghost savefiles have been cropping up all over the place. These non-existent files have, inter alia, prevented making FULL installations. BK has found something amiss in the Wary code, so let's hope his new release clears up this 'feature'.

I vaguely remember how it was to be young, keen and thrusting, so to speak. However, apart from Moses, the greatest con trick perpetrated on the human race was by the guy whose name is synonymous with 'portal'. His sin was to become a serial releaser of defective SW in his quest to become the world's richest person - a kind of backdoor world domination envisaged by his predecessor three millenia earlier. Perfect software has been shown mathematically impossible. Notwithstanding, it would be nice if some developers would take the odd week/month off, have a few beers, spend more time with the family, smell the roses. Best inspiration comes when least expected eg in the proverbial 'bath'. The brain is a strange implement; it's easier for it to remember past events, resolve problems, etc when it is not presently engaged on that activity - kind of backgrounded. Limbic system?, subconscious? Who knows!
Clearly defined objectives help. This was the approach selected by john biles.
Accept new input without giving instant smart *ss replies. A lifetime of experience in the sciences suggest that some of the best ideas have come from outsiders who were not carrying the baggage of inside 'wisdom' - like that other great Aussie, Barry J Marshall.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#126 Post by Lobster »

small packages should arrive soon
igu 8)

Glad you made it
Downloaded and installed (seemed to include a logo which the original did not when I clicked on 'about') - version number is the same - so if smaller, this is great. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rcrsn51

#127 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:There is a report in the Printers section that a full install of Slacko5295RC may be making a /tmp folder that is lacking a full set of write permissions.

Can anyone confirm this?
Considering the number of community members who swear by full installs, I was hoping that someone would take a few seconds to check this.

It also affects any program run as a non-privileged user that writes to /tmp.

666philb

#128 Post by 666philb »

using the regular RC. alsa wizard doesn't work, just flashes up then disappears

I'm also getting an error in the PPM. When i choose a package from one of the slacky repos, and examine dependencies. It basically lists the actual deps, then continues starting at A and list every single package as a dependency. For instance, this is what i get for google earth... or any app.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Iguleder

#129 Post by Iguleder »

Ummm ... had some trouble building package because of spup's libraries, some are too new while the others are too old. Annoying.

I setup port forwarding and made the family desktop machine (which is quite powerful) run a listening NetCat that forwards all input to Bash, so essentially, it's a remote shell - I connect to it from my netbook and it compiles stuff at insane speed :lol:

This thing runs on top of the RC with 2.6.39.4 and I use it to build all packages automatically, through a seemingly regular rxvt-unicode window. Kinda funny - it feels "native" because this isn't PuTTY or SSH or whatever, but my netbook doesn't choke. :lol:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#130 Post by Lobster »

OK I know we have 5.3 youtube intros
here is one I did earlier . . .
http://youtu.be/H2M4wVGj64Q

Will add others here:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ArtSpot
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

majorfoo

#131 Post by majorfoo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:There is a report in the Printers section that a full install of Slacko5295RC may be making a /tmp folder that is lacking a full set of write permissions.

Can anyone confirm this?
Considering the number of community members who swear by full installs, I was hoping that someone would take a few seconds to check this.

It also affects any program run as a non-privileged user that writes to /tmp.
Running full install of Slacko.5.29.6 RC and see nothing in tmp directory regarding printer (Brother-Hl-2140)
Printed doc from abiword and spreadsheet from gnumeric. No problem

majorfoo

rcrsn51

#132 Post by rcrsn51 »

@majorfoo: Right-click on the /tmp folder and select Properties. Are all the "Write" boxes checked?

majorfoo

#133 Post by majorfoo »

rcrsn51 wrote:@majorfoo: Right-click on the /tmp folder and select Properties. Are all the "Write" boxes checked?
here is what I get - slacko-5.29.6 RC
Attachments
slackotmp.png
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 797 times

rcrsn51

#134 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thank you. That is definitely a problem.

James C

#135 Post by James C »

Yet another manual frugal install of 5.29.5.As expected,everything working on initial boot.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.29.5

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: " 1440x900 " Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
10872 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2174.400 FPS
10580 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2116.000 FPS
10872 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2174.400 FPS
10629 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2125.800 FPS
10520 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2104.000 FPS
10356 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2071.200 FPS

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 1034MB (216MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 12 Oct 2011 08:59:29 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Ethernet controller : ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
Multimedia audio controller : C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS]

8-bit

#136 Post by 8-bit »

I was trying to use Slickpet in Slacko RC 5.29.5 that reports a kernel version of 2.6.37.6.
It reported in trying to download that the file size could not be found.
But with a little investigation, I found that kernel source for Slacko at http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/micko ... atched.sfs.

But it is evidently directed wrong in slickpet.

But now I have both the devx and the kernel source for the RC barring any changes of the kernel and devx.

Trying to find updates in the thread is a bit rough and would be better if changes and links were listed in the first post of this thread.

As a for instance, one posted using RC 5.29.6 and I did not know that a update existed unless that is is SCSI version.

James C

#137 Post by James C »

RC 5.29.6 is the version with the PAE 2.6.39.4 kernel.
Last edited by James C on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

otropogo

First Slacko impressions

#138 Post by otropogo »

Was impressed that fprot and xfprot were in the pet manager repository (once I managed to find it...)/.

Less impressed when I tried to run x-fprot and got the following cryptic message:

Unable to stat:
/usr/local/share/xfprot/COPYING:
No such file or directory

A further attempt to update the sigs file got me this message:

/tmp/xterm_simulate_hold.sh:line2:null: command not found

FINISHED. pRESS ENTER KEY TO CLOSE THIS WINDOW:

The quest continued, but since I can't figure out how to copy and paste the lengthy error messages, I'll stop here.

I should mention that the "test"function worked, but without a way of updating the virus files, I don't think there's much point...

Looked for UFRAW and/or RAWstudio in the graphics repository, but no luck. Installed Gimp 2.7 in hopes that the UFRAW plug-in would be included, but the depencies check indicated a missing library (no idea what the solution might be).

I made a screen save but it's been too long since I last uploaded one to the forum, and I don't remember how.

I was able to open and run GIMP anyway, and it was able to display jpeg files, but not RAW...

So - I'm 0 for 2 so far...

What happened to the ubuntu repositories, btw. Is that but a fond memory now, or is access hidden away deeper behind the slickpet facade?

I just "updated" puppy packet manager, but can't figure out how to find "petget" as directed. When I click on the "install" icon, I get the same single option of OpenOffice. Sweet!

Looks like I'll have to stick with 5.2.8 if I want to view RAW image files or use Fprot...

Update: have now spent some considerable time downloading all of the repository databases and am wondering what size 2fs file I'll need to hold them, and whether puppy will tell me this...

I've figured out now that this is a Slackware based version, and so no ubuntu packages will be avaialble. I guess I should have figured that out from the start. From what I've read, that doesn't bode well for bleeding edge support, such as for USB3 or 3TB drives...

No idea where I would look for UFRAW or Rawstudio, let alone a fix for x-fprot (unless it just needs a 2fs file).
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

8-bit

#139 Post by 8-bit »

otropogo,
I can answer one of your questions. Since this version of Puppy is based on Slackware and not UBUNTU, it uses a different repository for files.
You have to update Puppy Package manager to display the slackware repository files.
And there is quite a selection of file to choose from.
Also, since this version is based on Slackware, do not expect packages made for Lucid Puppy to work with it.

Also, there is a message in Puppy Package Manager when you select update and choose the repositories you want displayed of having to edit a file to limit the repositories that get processed.
I ignored it and so the update got everything.

As to problems with xprot, I can not help you out there.
I seldom use a virus checker with Puppy although I did install Avast in Lucid 520. I did a scan and it came back clean.
My save file is 512 megs and holds the repository files just fine.

Others may be able to help you further.

otropogo

#140 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:otropogo,
I can answer one of your questions. Since this version of Puppy is based on Slackware and not UBUNTU, it uses a different repository for files.
You have to update Puppy Package manager to display the slackware repository files.
And there is quite a selection of file to choose from.
Also, since this version is based on Slackware, do not expect packages made for Lucid Puppy to work with it.

Also, there is a message in Puppy Package Manager when you select update and choose the repositories you want displayed of having to edit a file to limit the repositories that get processed.
I ignored it and so the update got everything.

As to problems with xprot, I can not help you out there.
I seldom use a virus checker with Puppy although I did install Avast in Lucid 520. I did a scan and it came back clean.
My save file is 512 megs and holds the repository files just fine.

Others may be able to help you further.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, my first run at Slacko has turned into a dismal failure.

I shut down and chose to save to hard drive using the ext3 format (for greater security, ironically). I selected the suggested 512MB size for the 2fs file, and also chose to copy the sfs to the hard drive.

There were no signs of any problems, but when I rebooted, the display froze with the following text:
[59.194736] double fault, tss at f6603580
[59.184736] eip=f5927b7c, esp=00000000
[59.194736] eax=f5927b34, ebx=f59c1500, ecx=00000000, edx=00000000
[59.194736] esi=f5927be4, edi=f59929c4
Being a bit stubborn, I booted again, and this time the display froze with different lines of text, including the following:
Loading kernel modules
[50.805088] BUG: unable to .... kernel NULL pointer deference at 00000410
(followed by another 15 or 16 lines of less intelligible text - the dotted line indicates a spot where I may have left out a word when transcribing, possibly "find" or "locate")

Not very encouraging...
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo