2.14x
29%
Other: 2.14x only
32%

Total votes: 38

wuwei

#4621 Post by wuwei »

kardenas3 wrote:I have a question
where I can get software for that distro?
All in this very long thread.
Excerpts here:
http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html

wuwei

mounting partitions in 214x

#4622 Post by wuwei »

@ ttuuxxx

wonder if you can help me out.

I am automounting several partitions at startup using /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.d/rc.local with these entries:

Code: Select all

/dev/hda1	/mnt/hda1		ntfs		defaults		0 0
/dev/hda2	/mnt/hda2		ntfs		defaults		0 0
/dev/hdb1	/mnt/hdb1		ntfs		defaults		0 0
/dev/hdb2	/mnt/home		ext3		defaults,noatime		0 0

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 
mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 
That, however, mounts the partitions "read only".
I can get the partitions mounted read/write with pmount, but I have no idea how to do that at startup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

greengeek

#4623 Post by greengeek »

How difficult would it be to alter the dhcpcd routine used by the 214 series?

When I have been using a combination of any 214 release and dhcp to connect to my internet router I have connection problems that are the same as problems referred to by BarryK in his recent blog comment that mentions dhcpcd problems having crept back into Wary due to an oversight.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02352

In that case the problem is resolved by simply loading a .pet that I guess changes to a new dhcpcd file. (The fix works perfectly on the Cielo Wary5 install I was testing so it made me wonder if the same thing would work on my 214 installs)

Do you think I can try that same .pet on 214? Or does anyone know of a similar pet for 214?

There seem to be many issues with dhcpcd code in older puppies, and it prevents correct, reliable allocation of dhcp lease from the router and causes unreliable or nonexistent connection to the internet.

I reported my specific symptoms on p302 . Basically the incorrect dhcpcd code causes my router to go into a state of confusion, and the router itself stops issuing dhcp leases to any device (and can't be used until the router is power cycled, with the 214 install taken offline or put in static IP mode). Yes, I could blame the router - BUT - this fault goes away when Barrys .pet is loaded on a Wary install, and the behaviour doesn't occur when using Puppy 4.3.1, so I am extremely hopeful that someone might be able to suggest a recent and compatible dhcpcd pet that can be grafted back into 214.

Thanks in advance.

sullysat

#4624 Post by sullysat »

wuwei wrote:
kardenas3 wrote:I have a question
where I can get software for that distro?
All in this very long thread.
Excerpts here:
http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html
I've been away for a while, but I'm back now and will have an update for the 214 website asap.

Sorry for neglecting you guys.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

James C

#4625 Post by James C »

sullysat wrote: I've been away for a while, but I'm back now
Good to see you back. :)

Daevyd

Missing dependencies

#4626 Post by Daevyd »

I use Thunderbird for my email on my Linux Mint machine so naturally I installed it on my laptop but it's missing GTK+. The installation report only lists GTK+. I've searched all over the place with no luck. Where do I find this?

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A55 w/o an internal hard drive. I'm booting with the live CD and am using a USB thumb drive to save. I started out running Lucid but all browsers kept disappearing so I went "backwards" if you will hoping to get a system with a browser that would allow me to view web pages that didn't look like I was using a "mobile" device. This version (Classic Pup 2.14X) is a lifesaver!! Much thanks!!

wuwei

Re: Missing dependencies

#4627 Post by wuwei »

Daevyd wrote:I use Thunderbird for my email on my Linux Mint machine so naturally I installed it on my laptop but it's missing GTK+. The installation report only lists GTK+. I've searched all over the place with no luck. Where do I find this?
Thunderbird doesn't have to be installed, not even in 214x, provided it is a frugal install (normally recommended).

Get the tar.gz from the Mozilla site
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all.html
and unpack it to the root of your USB flash drive. Now drag the executable /mnt/home/thunderbird/thunderbird to your desktop and you are in business.
Icons are in /mnt/home/thunderbird/chrome/icons/default

Daevyd

#4628 Post by Daevyd »

wuwei wrote:Thunderbird doesn't have to be installed, not even in 214x, provided it is a frugal install (normally recommended).
Thanks, Wuwei. I haven't installed the OS to anything. I'm just using a save file since my laptop BIOS has no USB boot capability. I decided to use the Webmail Notifier add-on instead.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to install to a USB stick and make a boot floppy with a CD? I'm still learning all this stuff.

wuwei

#4629 Post by wuwei »

Daevyd wrote:
wuwei wrote:Thunderbird doesn't have to be installed, not even in 214x, provided it is a frugal install (normally recommended).
Thanks, Wuwei. I haven't installed the OS to anything. I'm just using a save file since my laptop BIOS has no USB boot capability. I decided to use the Webmail Notifier add-on instead.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to install to a USB stick and make a boot floppy with a CD? I'm still learning all this stuff.
d'accordo for the first part.

The second paragraph is not quite clear to me. What is it you want to do?

1. Create a boot floppy when running the LiveCD?
I am not in 214x right now, but if I recall correctly there is a Menu item "Wake Pup". That should create a boot floppy for you.

2. You want to boot Puppy from a CD?
That is one of the original ways of booting Puppy. Burn the ISO with Burniso2cd (in Puppy) or ImgBurn (in Win) and then use this CD to boot your Computer and Puppy.

Now the issue of "install to a USB stick":
You don't have to "install" in this case. Just run Puppy from CD and when you shutdown or reboot Puppy will prompt you to create a savefile. Do this by saving it to your USB stick.
From then on you can always boot your Puppy with the CD and the stick inserted. The OS is on the CD, your settings, changes, chronics, drivers and programs are in the savefile.

Daevyd

#4630 Post by Daevyd »

wuwei wrote: Now the issue of "install to a USB stick":
You don't have to "install" in this case. Just run Puppy from CD and when you shutdown or reboot Puppy will prompt you to create a savefile. Do this by saving it to your USB stick.
From then on you can always boot your Puppy with the CD and the stick inserted. The OS is on the CD, your settings, changes, chronics, drivers and programs are in the savefile.

Nevermind. I'm doing all right as is. Nothing broken, nothing to fix. Thanks for your help!

kardenas3

#4631 Post by kardenas3 »

cthisbear wrote:" which is the latest version to download? "
>> 214x-Top9.0 ISO

First post.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553

214x-Top9.0 ISO

http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/2.14X/i ... X-top9.iso

md5sum 73b263504a4b92dd174c73b6f6846d30

And welcome to Puppy...Chris.
thank you, did not know which download

Dewbie

#4632 Post by Dewbie »

OK, figured out problem with BarryK's cut-down SoftMaker Office 2008 and 2.14x.
Edited post here.
How-to here.

mama21mama

#4633 Post by mama21mama »

user to: 214x-Top9

something about hiawhata webserver.

always loads at startup, do not know why.

BootManager this off: s

Sit Heel Speak

#4634 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I have posted an .sfs of Opera 12.00 pre-pre-alpha, Build 1085, taken yesterday. Tested in 214x-top9, works:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64599

MinHundHettePerro

#4635 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

mama21mama wrote:user to: 214x-Top9

something about hiawhata webserver.

always loads at startup, do not know why.

BootManager this off: s
In 214XRC5 I just made /etc/init.d/hiawatha.run non-executable (right-click - properties - un-tick the three exec-boxes).
I see that in 214X-top9 (not running it at the moment, so cannot verify) there are more files involved

# ls -go /etc/init.d/*atha*
lrwxrwxrwx 1   27 2011-10-10 23:03 hiawatha.run -> ../rc.d/init.d/hiawatha.run
-rwxrwxrwx 1 1713 2010-08-22 16:45 rc.hiawatha
#
I'd suggest to first try if making /etc/rc.d/init.d/hiawatha.run non-executable is enough. If not, I'd continue with making /etc/init.d/rc.hiawatha non-executable. And if hiawatha would still be auto-started, I'd simply delete all three files (provided I'd have no intention of running hiawatha later on).

Hope that helps :)/MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

ttuuxxx

#4636 Post by ttuuxxx »

Here's the latest netsurf browser, took a bit of compiling time and altering the usr/include/gtk2 files about 20 of them.
enjoy
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

James C

#4637 Post by James C »

Working fine on Top 9. :)

JonT

#4638 Post by JonT »

All of a sudden, I could no longer connect via WPA wireless with any of the 214X's I tried. Other puppies had no problem. Far from being an expert, it took me a bunch of time trying to figure things out. The network wizard was unable to make the WPA connection. I tried tempestuous's excellent HOWTO on making manual wifi connections (including adding cryptograhic modules, with no success) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469 and further verified that wpa_supplicant was the point of failure.

To make a long story short, it seems I had changed the router to use AES encryption instead of TKIP. I changed it to TKIP and all is well now.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to improve 214X; some people have not be able to use 214X wirelessly, possibly for the same reason as I had. Is it possible to compile wpa_supplicant such that it supports both AES and TKIP, or change configuration files? Other puppies seem to be happy with either AES or TKIP. Sorry I don't know enough to take this further.

HTH,
Jon

clarf

#4639 Post by clarf »

JonT wrote: To make a long story short, it seems I had changed the router to use AES encryption instead of TKIP. I changed it to TKIP and all is well now.

Perhaps this is an opportunity to improve 214X; some people have not be able to use 214X wirelessly, possibly for the same reason as I had. Is it possible to compile wpa_supplicant such that it supports both AES and TKIP, or change configuration files? Other puppies seem to be happy with either AES or TKIP. Sorry I don't know enough to take this further.

HTH,
Jon
Hi John,

That´s a nice feature request,

I think we need some guide from Thempestous to be able to add it.

Regards

JonT

#4640 Post by JonT »

Thanks clarf for the support for the idea; I think I have found the beginnings of a answer.

Nothing more scary than ignorance in action. I was preparing to take a stab at recompiling wpa_supplicant (scary), but it turns out that's not necessary.

Searching for information on wpa_supplicant.conf (one reference here) indicates the lines in that file starting with "pairwise" and "group" typically default to

pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP WEP104  WEP40
The default has only TKIP. I won't be using WEP so I left off the last two, and can now connect to my router in either AES or TKIP.

Someone more knowledgeable than I (not hard) should specify a conf file to fit most people.

Linux can be so logical; TKIP for TKIP and CCMP for AES. Love it.