Samsung Printer/Scanner Drivers - Updated 2013

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
mox

#21 Post by mox »

Thanks for the reply, I installed the CMS package but still not working.
Using the driver foo2xxx (including foo2xxx icm-1.0) the printer work well only in black and white, with the colors does not work.
This is the error message:
usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip Failed
However, we took a step forward, at least I can print. :D
Thanks.

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which version of foo2xxx are you using? I have posted a new one dated 2011-10-06 that lists your CLP-325.

I tested it in Lupu-528 with two printers from the foo2xxx group and could not get your error. I then did a simulated install of your CLP-325 and it appeared to work.

Usually, if a printer works in mono mode, switching to colour should not throw that kind of error message. In the CUPS settings, open the Adjustments section and select "No ICM Color Correction". See if that makes a difference.

mox

#23 Post by mox »

I changed the setting NO ICM Color correction, but unfortunately with color printing, there are still problems. If I print the test page, the file is processed, but the printer does not print anything, cups does not display any error.
If I print a file from abiword, the error reappears "foomatic-rip failed".

The version of foo2xxx is the last that you posted.

If it can be useful, I can post the cups error log.

rcrsn51

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

mox wrote:If it can be useful, I can post the cups error log.
Please do. But first, open /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and change "Loglevel info" to "Loglevel debug". Then restart CUPS with the command "/etc/init.d/cups restart". Print something from Abiword.

The Samsung CLP models have always been an issue in Puppy because there are several packages that claim to support them and little reliable testing.

I have an OKI colour laser printer that uses a different filter from the foo2xxx package than your CLP-325. I cannot get it to throw your error message no matter what I try. But I notice in the foo2xxx change logs that there were problems with the CLP-325.

So I don't know if your problem has to do with your particular Puppy version, Samsung CLP's in general or your particular model.

We could try a variation of the official Samsung package again, but it only supports the "CLP-320 series", not the 325 specifically.

mox

#25 Post by mox »

Here's the log with debugging, thanks for your patience.
Attachments
cups_log.tar.gz
(36.06 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times

rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

There is definitely an error and it refers to "/tmp permission denied". Check your permissions on the /tmp folder. Is it writable for everyone?

Code: Select all

chmod 777 /tmp
I duplicated your setup, took the write permission off /tmp and got your error message!

What kind of Puppy install are you using?

mox

#27 Post by mox »

Ok finally resolved! , right now with my puppy, I can also print in color.

You hit the problem. :D

"/usr/bin/foo2qpdl-wrapper: line 541: /tmp/icc7524.usecie.ps: Permission denied
/usr/bin/foo2qpdl-wrapper: line 547: /tmp/icc7524.usecie.ps: Permission denied
/usr/bin/foo2qpdl-wrapper: line 555: /tmp/icc7524.usecie.ps: Permission denied
/usr/bin/foo2qpdl-wrapper: line 566: /tmp/icc7524.selcrd.ps: Permission denied"

My installation is frugal, and I have no other operating systems in this old Pentium 3.
I do not remember having changed the permissions, the only thing I have done is added the user password, but I do not think that it is influential.

Thanks again, great job.

rcrsn51

#28 Post by rcrsn51 »

And thank you for taking the time to do the necessary trouble-shooting.

If you want, you can do one more test for me. Uninstall the ICM colour package, set the printer on "No Color Correction" and see if you still get colour output.

mox

#29 Post by mox »

I uninstalled ICM color package, and the printer does the same with color prints. But doing this test I found that works well with Abiword, jpg files (with gimp) and even the test page is ok, but with some pdf files there are problems. I reinstalled ICM color package but the problems are still there, surely there before but only now I realized.
I can not print PDF files with color or images, it would seem that prints well only when the file is text only. Another detail that I noticed is that the options Wiewer Pdf (ver 0.1.7) I do not have the possibility to choose the color, but is available only to grayscale (only with the Samsung).
I tried to install FoxitReader, but as I open any pdf file goes in crash.

This is the error message that indicates Cups:
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstopdf failed"

In the log there are three works, a printed correctly (# 72) and two others with error, the printer produces a blank sheet.

rcrsn51

#30 Post by rcrsn51 »

One of the errors in the log refers to invalid fonts. This was a problem with printing PDF files in early versions of Lupu and was fixed. Try the attached patch.
Attachments
Fontmap-8.11-lupu-1.pet
(1012 Bytes) Downloaded 1177 times

mox

#31 Post by mox »

Very well, I installed the patch, and even PDF files are printed correctly.

In summary, the printer works in color, also without the ICM Colour Package. I tested ABW, JPG, PDF files and Cups test page.

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. I believe that you must have an early version of Lupu. Both problems - /tmp having the wrong permissions and missing fonts - were resolved in later versions.

In any case, the CLP-325 driver sounds reliable. The foo2xxx package makes a big deal about colour correction and ICM files. But I don't understand enough about this to know when the ICM files are important.

I guess we need an artist to explain.

Hernâni

#33 Post by Hernâni »

Hi rcrsn51!!
Thank you for your great job!!! Thanks to you, I have already my printer working.

First time that I installed the driver, for some reason it didn't work correctelly, but now it works fine but only with the cable USB. For while I don't know How it can work with wifi. This printer is Samsung SCX3205W and if it is possible I woud like to be able to use the wireless function. Is it possible?

Thank you for your work

Hernâni

rcrsn51

#34 Post by rcrsn51 »

Most wireless printers are auto-detected by CUPS.

Have you done the wifi setup and assigned the printer an IP address?

Does the printer work wirelessly in Windows?

If it is not being auto-detected, try setting it up manually. Select "AppSocket/HP JetDirect". Enter the URI as:

Code: Select all

socket://aaa.bbb.ccd.ddd
Use the printer's IP address and the same make and model as with your USB install.

Hernâni

#35 Post by Hernâni »

Thank you rcrsn51 for your quicly replay.

The wireless function is already working. Thank you for your help.

It was necessary to install both packages of software: the “samsung_scx3200_ppd-3.00.71.pet

kevin bowers

ML-2165 working in LUPU-PlusLibre

#36 Post by kevin bowers »

[quote="Hernâni"]With the installation of “samsung_mono-3.00.65.pet

rcrsn51

Re: ML-2165 working in LUPU-PlusLibre

#37 Post by rcrsn51 »

kevin bowers wrote:I did have this same problem while installing the ML-2165.
I have updated the PET to v4.00.35. It now supports your ML-2165.
Note that this will not work in the absence of samsung_mono-3.00.65.pet, as I discovered on another computer. Install that first.
That's because you also need the CUPS Samsung filter that is part of the PET. A PPD file by itself is rarely sufficient to install a printer.

amj

#38 Post by amj »

I've been able to get my Samsung ML-1520 printer working on Lucid Puppy 525 using a splix driver I found here.

rcrsn51

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

@amj: Are you saying that the samsung_mono-4.00.35.pet posted above did not work for you? If so, I would like you to try the previous version.

amj

#40 Post by amj »

rcrsn51 wrote:@amj: Are you saying that the samsung_mono-4.00.35.pet posted above did not work for you?
No, I'm not saying that. Apparently I've been using Linux long enough to already be carrying unnecessary baggage. On other Linux distros I've used in the past I've needed splix to get the printer working. If there is something better available I will happily give it a try. I'm currently building up a new lupu 525 system, adding in as much useful functionality as I can find. By chance I stumbled across that splix driver yesterday and thought hey lets give it a go ...

~edit~

OK, here's my feedback on the samsung-mono driver.

I had installed the splix driver on a toshiba laptop running lupu 525. I installed the samsung-mono driver on a samsung netbook also running lupu 525. I prepared a test page to print using abiword.

During the installation I noticed some differences between the two drivers so I checked these out.

Via the CUPS panel under administration there is the opportunity to print a 'standard test page'. The splix driver gave me a nice test page which included details of the splix and CUPS versions I was using. The samsung-mono driver returned an error when I asked for a test page (unsupported format).

Via the CUPS panel under maintenance there is an opportunity to 'set default options'. The samsung-mono driver gave me three options I could change. (I switched from US paper size to A4). The splix driver gave me eleven options I could change. Some of the eight extra options are things I am unlikely to want to use, but others are options that are quite important to me.

For example splix includes options for setting up double sided printing. But most important of all, splix allows me to set options for toner use. I know from experience that when my toner cartridge is new I need the toner setting on 'light'. As the toner empties, I move progressively through 'medium' to 'dark'. This is necessary to maintain the quality of the printing. At the moment my toner is a little on the low side and I switched the toner setting to 'dark'. (splix defaults to A4).

I printed my abiword test page via both drivers. Because of the toner setting, splix gave me a clearer print than samsung-mono.