. . .
./fun/chocolate-doom.sh
Igu I was hoping that chocolate-doom
was related to 'death by chocolate' cake
http://chocolatecoveredss.com/2011/08/3 ... chocolate/
rather than:
http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/inde ... te_Doom.3F

Hope all goes well with Dpup 'Next' - could well be the basis of Puppy 6
Do try Puppy Phone on Next - new version should be out soon from the indefatigable team of James Bond and Smokey . . .

. . . and now back to the Slacko . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Icyos

#262 Post by Icyos »

Hi All

I am waiting for 5.3 rc and i am bloody bursting how long please i just gotta know. :twisted:

mavrothal

#263 Post by mavrothal »

Sage wrote: For FULL installers, the smaller file would reach more/more easily DUN users.
How so?...
I would think that for "full installers" size is the least important thing.
Sage wrote: ipso facto, forgive the question, perhaps a much smaller .iso could be provided for FULL installers? Has anyone attempted to build a Puppy like Tiny/SliTaz with web-based apps selection?
This issue has surfaced before several times.
The question is how Puppy would be different than these distros.

A bare-bones system with with kernel, firmware, Xvesa, connectivity, hardware initial support, window and file manager and basic linux utilities is 40-50MB and puppy can easily build an iso like that.
But then unless you know what you are doing, you are lost as a user.

In puppy things are even worse since PPM is rudimentary and pets are all over the place.
Tinycore and Slitaz have iron clad tool chance and carefully compiled and audited extensions and repos, assured to work with their cores. I do not even want to think of a person that will try to manage this for puppy.
But more important I do not see how this would be better than Tinycore, Slitaz or the current Puppies.

Puppy offers a fairly complete user experience at 110-130 MB and if you tailor it for specific hardware easily goes under 100 with everything included!

What would be really nice I think, is a script/programm that will automatically remaster the iso, getting rid of the extra video drivers, firmware, kernel modules videolibs etc and get a 20-30MB smaller iso for YOUR machine.
As an example, current puppies moded for the OLPC XO laptop are down to 90-100MB, by just removing some of these fit-to-all-hardware components from the sfs.
Then you can do any kind of installation you want with this...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#264 Post by 01micko »

Icyos wrote:Hi All

I am waiting for 5.3 rc and i am bloody bursting how long please i just gotta know. :twisted:
How long is a piece of string?

Sorry couldn't resist!

Soon.. very soon..
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Icyos

#265 Post by Icyos »

01micko wrote:
Icyos wrote:Hi All

Sorry couldn't resist!

Soon.. very soon..
Slaps Micko with a wet fish, now back to work slacker.......giggles.......get it......never mind thanks for reply hugs you all.

Sage

#266 Post by Sage »

mavrothal
Who are you? where are you?
Obviously you have an axe to grind about the OLPC, but you seem to have misunderstood just about everything else that I said about Puppy and it's users. Your conflation is at best inappropriate. Stop and think a little longer about users - the ultimate targets. Load up John's 50Mb MeanPup and you might begin to understand. Think about the legions of DUN users and how they are constrained. Think about landfill and it's avoidance. One gets weary of the 4-core, 4Gb, PAE brigade who are in the wrong Forum.

rcrsn51

#267 Post by rcrsn51 »

mavrothal wrote:Tinycore and Slitaz have iron clad tool chance and carefully compiled and audited extensions and repos, assured to work with their cores. .
This was originally the promise of Tinycore, but their endless tinkering with the project has tarnished its reputation.

Witness the three-month adventure to install a printer here.

jim3630

#268 Post by jim3630 »

without a position to defend just attack the other person. do take it somewhere else.
Last edited by jim3630 on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

charlie6

#269 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
thanks for the ... string
Sorry couldn't resist!
... neither do I ...! :wink:
Charlie

emil

scilab sfs

#270 Post by emil »

I briefly tested Q5sys scilab package (forum thread here) and it seems to work fine. (It also works in lupu 511 and in LHP).
Maybe this could be added to the repo.

DOWNLOAD AT (128 MB):
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... y5-slacko/

mavrothal

#271 Post by mavrothal »

Sage wrote:but you seem to have misunderstood just about everything else that I said about Puppy and it's users
This is conceivable but maybe you could explain yourself a bit better. Start with DUN, as we may have different understanding about it.
I also have a hard time seeing the conflation in my post. Could you elaborate?

Now regarding land fields, old hardware and puppy users, if there is some misunderstanding is not from my side.
What I could certainly be blamed foris not making clear enough that I do not advocate 4CPUs, 16GB RAM and 4 TB storage (actually find these machines ridiculous for puppy, but people can have fun anyway they like)

And back to the original point.
I have used TC and the likes and I do not like them. They certainly do not work well in old hardware because of their underline principles. Advocating making puppy "like these" is certainly not going to make it better for old machines.
What I suggest instead is customize puppy builds for your hardware after the first run (Gentoo is doing this for years). So pick the right kernel, get rid of extra stuff and work from there.
Given puppy's setup/pet versions, starting from a minimal environment and building up is not the way to go, I believe

Hopefully the above is clear enough and does not need a photo-ID

Back to Slacko now.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

emil

Gnuplot

#272 Post by emil »

I tested my old gnuplot package, and it seems to work well in slacko.
There is a slightly newer version of gnuplot in ppm (slackware-repo) but it has like 3 MB. This version has 1.4 MB (pet size is 880 KB).

forum link:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72356
download:
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... y5-slacko/

Sage

#273 Post by Sage »

Lost in translation. There's a certain shorthand.
When I write " Who are you...." It means you haven't edited your profile to show location and we don't know whether you're a developer, guru, coder, or regular clod like the majority of us. It doesn't mean: Tell us your name, address and where you work because we want to send you a Christmas card, or we will send the boys round.
When I say " ...like Tiny/SliTaz..." that's no endorsement, just noting the intentions of...
If you are a Spanish-speaking Mexican or a French-speaking Canadian, we love you, you are part of the family. That doesn't mean we love you or that we're related, but draw your own conclusions about your neighbours...
'conflation' is in the dictionary, try Google for DUN, it's a common acronym and of daily concern to somebody on this Forum less fortunate than YT.
Try to make your comments constructive.

playdayz

#274 Post by playdayz »

For Testing - Compiled in Slacko
Audacious 2.5.4 for Slacko

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet

There are currently 2 versions of Audacious. 2.5.4 is the version for gtk2. Audacious 3.0.3 is the version for gtk3. If they ever fix their web site I will try Audacious 3, but Audacious 2.5.4 is very good and stable. AFAIK Audacious 3 has no significant new features (I am thinking it is just the adaptation to gtk3.) The reason to wait for their website is that Audacious requires 3 extra libs that are linked on the web site.

The basic pet is nice and small, just 1.5MB--yes, I know there are smaller players, but I just like Audacious--it does what I need. Pmusic now has some features Audacious does not have, such as grabbing lyrics, etc., from the web. However, Pmusic cannot handle large (5,000+) playlists, which I need.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#275 Post by jim3630 »

Sage wrote:Lost in translation. There's a certain shorthand.
When I write " Who are you...." It means you haven't edited your profile to show location and we don't know whether you're a developer, guru, coder, or regular clod like the majority of us. It doesn't mean: Tell us your name, address and where you work because we want to send you a Christmas card, or we will send the boys round.
When I say " ...like Tiny/SliTaz..." that's no endorsement, just noting the intentions of...
If you are a Spanish-speaking Mexican or a French-speaking Canadian, we love you, you are part of the family. That doesn't mean we love you or that we're related, but draw your own conclusions about your neighbours...
'conflation' is in the dictionary, try Google for DUN, it's a common acronym and of daily concern to somebody on this Forum less fortunate than YT.
Try to make your comments constructive.
googled DUN and at least the first two pages had nothing computer related. your last couple of posts are off topic and sound condesending.

mavrothal

#276 Post by mavrothal »

Sage wrote:Lost in translation
Thanks for the understanding.
try Google for DUN
I can not help it but wonder if we mean the same thing with 'DUN". The definition is far from clear but my understanding was Dial-Up Network users, for whom having as small iso and then trying to download the rest live, is a nightmare (BTW have you ever used TC/slitaz or you just flew through the intro page).
'conflation' is in the dictionary
I'm also pretty clear on what conflation is and I still wait for you to point to the conflation in my post.
Try to make your comments constructive
:shock: :shock:
I can not help it but wonder, do your ever read what you write?

01micko

#277 Post by 01micko »

Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

sszindian

Pwidgets

#278 Post by sszindian »

Pwidgets (one from Slacko .pets in ibibilo and also standard 2.3.5)

Upon installing the weather option to the ones that default on installation, it pushes the top-part of the CPU Graph under the calender.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Tman

#279 Post by Tman »

Edit:
Attachments
fluffy_puppy.jpg
(114.87 KiB) Downloaded 2684 times

loubapache

#280 Post by loubapache »

Hi, playdayz:

Thank you for the Audacious 2.5 slacko pet. It is a very nice and efficient player.

I loaded it into Slacko 5.3.0.1 and it worked beautifully.

However, when I take the save file to a different computer, Audacious crashed.

1) I tried to launch Audacious, nothing happened.
2) I tried to launch again, it complained about another Audacious was already running.
3) I clicked cancel and started Audacious in a terminal. The error message was about the audacious.desktop file containing file extension for icon audacious.png (a very strange message).

Anyway, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. This time it went further. However, as soon as I added some music to it, it crashed.

On the other computer, Audacious has still been working beautifully. I wonder if the (different) sound card had anything to do with it, although I highly doubt it.

In Slacko, there are not a whole lot of choices for good music player. There is no rhthymbox, banshee, etc. I did give Pmusic a try but it is not my player.

Thanks.