Slacko B5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bigpup

#241 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote::lol:

There is only one argument to settle.

In the 2.6.39.4-smp version should I use xz compression (slower to decompress, smaller iso, 111M) or gz compression (faster decompression, larger iso, 124M)???

In my testing, the xz loads to 224M RAM (that's 256 with 32 for shared graphics) where as gz keeps the cd mounted. It should be ok though with 256 of dedicated RAM.

Thoughts?
I agree. If the speed difference is slower boot time. No issue.
If speed difference is actual speed of operation when running Puppy and programs, a faster running Puppy should be the choice.
Seems you are hitting the 256MB minimum memory support question.
Support computer older hardware or newer hardware capabilities?
Question?
Does the save file also get loaded all in ram or does it stay on storage device and get accessed and loaded as needed? Is it also compressed?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Jades

#242 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Actually, my vote is with gz too, I reckon jades would see the difference on the old K6.
At present that machine's quite flaky due to a suspect PSU but thanks for thinking of it anyway! :-) My main testing of Beta 5 has been on the Pentium D machine although, on the rare occasions that I could get the K6 started, Beta 5 seemed to work OK on the latter and that i486 FFMPEG pet you did allowed it to play MP3s from GNOME MPlayer.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

DaveS

#243 Post by DaveS »

+1 for gz
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jades

Re: Working!!!!

#244 Post by Jades »

sszindian wrote:Now only one slight problem... sr1 (main HDD) Icon isn't showing up on the desktop?
Probably caused by changing screen resolution. Try this:-

Run Menu -> System -> Puppy Event Manager.

Click on the Desktop Icons tab.

Tick the box next to 'Tick box to erase then redraw and realign existing icons.'

Hit 'OK'.

Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart X Server.

Your drive icons should now all appear in a neat row.

HTH!
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Tman

#245 Post by Tman »

Finally got around to testing Slacko B5. First impressions: not a fan of the default Jwm or Gtk theme, but the desktop icons are nice.

Detected the nv driver and the soundcard correctly on my 'Desktop2'.
Added Pwidgets, Startmount, from Lucid-repo and defaults-chooser. No crashes so far.

Major issue:
Gnome Mplayer would not play .VOB files, whereas version 1.03 in Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 works

Some minor issues:
- moved the lock desktop icon to a different place on the desktop, but it came back to it's original position on restart. Tried again a few times..sometimes successfull, sometimes not.
- .mkv files will work, but won't launch defaultmediaplayer automatically when the file is clicked on from ROX-filer. I installed the pet below, which resolves the issue. Most of the additions in the pet are redundant, but I added them to be safe, just in case they weren't there in other pups.

Overall, Slacko is good. No pup is perfect. Will continue further testing..
Attachments
Video-mimetypes.pet
mimetypes for various video formats
(666 Bytes) Downloaded 417 times
[url=http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/custom_search_html-1.1.pet]Custom Puppy Linux search page[/url]

Tasgarth

#246 Post by Tasgarth »

zigbert
You have a Master channel, but no limits are set
Will you please test the attached Pmusic to see if it detects a better channel for the volume mixer.
Testing pmusic2.1.8-test.pet :
The volume mixer does not work. :cry:
No difference with preceding version of pmusic...
I always had the same problems with retrovol regardless of the puppy except with lucid, lupu or 3HD

Thanks for the reply.

01micko

#247 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote: Question?
Does the save file also get loaded all in ram or does it stay on storage device and get accessed and loaded as needed? Is it also compressed?
No, pupsaves are not compressed and only needed parts are loaded to RAM. (for running applications, daemons, startup proggys and the like)

How Puppy uses RAM depends on the pupmode, A frugal to fast media (pupmode = 12) writes directly to the pupsave. RAM is kept free from changes you make.

On slow media (flash sticks, data cards) (pupmode = 13) changes get written to RAM and saved periodically. If you have no swap and small RAM you are in danger of RAM crashes as if you download and install lots of stuff before the save is made it fills up RAM, (changes also include browser cache).

Consider this, you can have a very large save file full of stuff and it still runs just fine with 256M RAM, even on a usb stick install. Only what's needed get's loaded in RAM.

The save file is on the top layer of the stacked filesystem (AUFS or UNIONFS). It gets read first, and of course is the only place that the layered filesystem can be written.

A good read for all devs and others interested is How Puppy Works ..aged but still relevant.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

DaveS

#248 Post by DaveS »

So if one installs various extra programs etc, ram usage does not greatly increase, but if one then re-masters, ram usage will increase? If so re-mastering on a machine with low ram makes no sense?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#249 Post by 01micko »

EU-bloody-REKA!

I solved my stupid devx bug!

Alss it was is a missing symlink libpng.pc to libpng14.pc in /usr/lib/pkgconfig ... was borking gtk/gtk.h.. a major showstopper.

Yippee.. no more Frankenstein devx!

-

Dave.. depends what you add and chop out as to whether it's worth remastering for a low RAM machine.

-

In other news..

I have my new (old) lappy.. an IBM r51, centrino, radeon-mobility, 512RAM, works well but PAE is unsupported by the CPU. I left XP on it, defragged (now that's something I haven't done for years :lol: ) and split it up into an ntfs, 19G, ext3, 18G, and 1G swap. Already run grub4dos and did a frugal with universal-installer, worked fine. That gives me room to woof when I head yonder.

Haven't booted my new kernel on it yet but 2.6.37.6 runs ok, needs the flloopfix though for touchpad. That should be redundant in 2.6.39.4-smp.

charlie6

Slacko4.9x.7 versus siliconmotion featured Laptop?

#250 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
I'm wondering if the way followed with 4.99.7 to get X working, could be applied to 4.9x.7 ?
I indeed did a manual frugal install of 4.9x.7 om my laptop (because its dvd-reader cannot complete reading of vmlinuz and initrd.gz - yes! this happens sometimes...).
And here also X hangs up as on 4.99.7 or don't start.
So I first manually installed the xorg-charlie-indian.pet and deleted xorg.conf in the manualy created slackosave.3fs file.
Then reboot , xorgwizard starts / "Choose" whatever siliconmotion or vesa /then get the siliconmotion warning -yes/ .../ TEST_X_NOW/ and get the prompt; doing "xwin" brings «X failed to start», but no hang up.
- only choosing "Probe" brings X to hang up.
So does siliconmotion_drv_so also need being recompiled as in 4.99.7?
Now sweet dreams ....
Cheers, Charlie

Stripe

#251 Post by Stripe »

hi all

just finished a standalone vlc-1.1.11 pet for slackware, (all deps and language packs included) works on both B5 and B5++ (mozilla plugin disabled) (compiled in 4.9.X.7)

please download and test to see if it is OK

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwWD08 ... 3&hl=en_GB

cheers

don

edited to add: mick I think smokey01 is compiling the latest psip for slacko

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#252 Post by Lobster »

I think smokey01 is compiling the latest psip for slacko
You bet your chicken korma they iz :D
Thanks for testing stripe . . .

Just been trying 1.2-pre of Puppy Phone (Psip)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 082#571082

and now for the off topic rant . . . :oops:
curry is now Brit's fav food
Ideal for Ozlanders as it is traditional
to have with copious quantities of lager
or for the wimps like me, order lassi
yum - better give my lassi recipe . . .
blend chilled yogurt, milk and honey (optional banana and vanilla)
Drink after curry (not during - which just sensitizes you tongue
for more chilli burn) :twisted:

Puppy Linux
Round the clock development, support and lassi recipes
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#253 Post by 01micko »

Just got a phone call.. I was going away working Sunday, brought forward to tomorrow! :roll:

Oh well .. RC is ready I'm just finalising the nvidia/radeon drivers. I could upload now but I want to test the drivers make sure they work.

Posting from RC now on the ne (old) lappy, used xz for the smp.. but it's only a 10 min job to change that.. WIll test gz see if it's better.

sszindian

Missing Icon!!

#254 Post by sszindian »

sszindian wrote:
Now only one slight problem... sr1 (main HDD) Icon isn't showing up on the desktop?

Jades wrote:
Probably caused by changing screen resolution. Try this:-

Run Menu -> System -> Puppy Event Manager.

Click on the Desktop Icons tab.

Tick the box next to 'Tick box to erase then redraw and realign existing icons.'

Hit 'OK'.

Menu -> Shutdown -> Restart X Server.

Your drive icons should now all appear in a neat row.

HTH!

'Thanks jades! that did it!'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Sage

#255 Post by Sage »

A propos the xz, gz question, presume it's irrelevant for a FULL install? Or is it? Does gz leave behind its debris? For FULL installers, the smaller file would reach more/more easily DUN users. ipso facto, forgive the question, perhaps a much smaller .iso could be provided for FULL installers? Has anyone attempted to build a Puppy like Tiny/SliTaz with web-based apps selection? Not, that is, a basic core for experts like Pizzasgood & co. intended for a unique .iso build. Way outside BK's intent, but the breed has matured with enough worthwhile apps and knowledge base to make it worthy as a standalone FULL installation, probably with a low resource base, suitable for really old kit which seems to have a resurgence of interest amongst some correspondents.

DaveS

#256 Post by DaveS »

Sage wrote:Has anyone attempted to build a Puppy like Tiny/SliTaz with web-based apps selection?
Web based apps seem to need high speed connections and seem resource heavy to me. Maybe its just the connection speed making them seem slow, but Google Docs Spreadsheet is dog slow compared to locally installed Gnumeric. Same for writer v Abiword.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#257 Post by Sage »

Web based apps seem to need high speed connections and seem resource heavy to me.
Does that depend on how they are packaged? The .pet s I use are speedy. The advantage of web basing is that apps can be added piecemeal - ideal for DUN users. In use, FULL installs relate 'speed' to HW, of course, rather than compression, memory, etc. Notwithstanding, HD access becomes limiting. I do not believe that 'speed' has been an issue for decades in many cases of domestic users. Most folks can't/don't think that quick. Mobiles are popular despite their one-finger typing, 600-1200Ghz cpu, wi-fi, etc. so there is always a subtle balance between real/perceived speed and functionality. For mobiles, physical size matters!

Tasgarth

#258 Post by Tasgarth »

Testing VLC .Stripe wrote:
Just finished a standalone vlc-1.1.11 pet for slackware, (all deps and language packs included) works on both B5 and B5++ (mozilla plugin disabled) (compiled in 4.9.X.7)
please download and test to see if it is OK
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwWD08 ... 3&hl=en_GB
It's good (language FR)
audio, video streaming,recording, playlist are OK...
And sound slider (taskbar) is... OK :D
Thanks
Last edited by Tasgarth on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

chrismt

#259 Post by chrismt »

01micko wrote:
I have my new (old) lappy.. an IBM r51, centrino, radeon-mobility, 512RAM, works well but PAE is unsupported by the CPU. I left XP on it, defragged (now that's something I haven't done for years :lol: ) and split it up into an ntfs, 19G, ext3, 18G, and 1G swap. Already run grub4dos and did a frugal with universal-installer, worked fine. That gives me room to woof when I head yonder.
I have noticed that my XP is faster I dunno why

Iguleder

#260 Post by Iguleder »

Good work, guys :)

I'm running Woof at the moment - I'm building my first B5 clone. Once it's ready, a big bunch of packages will pour out of it :D

This is the plan:
./fonts/fontconfig.sh
./fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf.sh
./fonts/dejavu-fonts-ttf.sh
./fonts/freefont-ttf.sh
./fonts/font-bh-ttf.sh
./fonts/LinLibertineTTF.sh
./fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera.sh
./fonts/ubuntu-font-family.sh
./fonts/ttf-droid.sh
./fonts/freetype.sh
./wmaker/wmsystemtray.sh
./wmaker/windowmaker-crm.sh
./wmaker/wmclock.sh
./e16/e16.sh
./e16/imlib2.sh
./e16/e16keyedit.sh
./e16/epplets.sh
./e16/e16-docs.sh
./e16/e16-themes.sh
./openbox/openbox.sh
./openbox/minipager.sh
./openbox/lal.sh
./openbox/docker.sh
./graphics/feh.sh
./graphics/giblib.sh
./graphics/scrot.sh
./office/gnumeric.sh
./office/goffice.sh
./office/libgsf.sh
./office/wv.sh
./office/abiword.sh
./office/librsvg.sh
./core/yad.sh
./core/advancecomp.sh
./core/optipng.sh
./core/squashfs-tools4.sh
./core/gtkdialog.sh
./core/dbus.sh
./core/dbus-glib.sh
./core/file.sh
./core/dhcpcd.sh
./core/bash.sh
./base/xsane.sh
./base/lxtask.sh
./base/mplayer.sh
./base/firefox.sh
./base/leafpad.sh
./base/emelfm2.sh
./base/rxvt-unicode.sh
./base/xarchiver.sh
./base/mhwaveedit.sh
./base/transmission.sh
./base/trayfreq.sh
./base/galculator.sh
./base/seamonkey.sh
./base/gftp.sh
./base/aumix.sh
./base/gtk-theme-switch.sh
./base/rgbpaint.sh
./base/ghasher.sh
./base/deadbeef.sh
./base/sylpheed.sh
./base/zathura.sh
./base/osmo.sh
./sdl/SDL_image.sh
./sdl/SDL_mixer.sh
./sdl/SDL_sound.sh
./sdl/SDL_ttf.sh
./sdl/SDL_net.sh
./sdl/SDL.sh
./fun/dosbox.sh
./fun/chocolate-doom.sh
./fun/scummvm.sh
./fun/openttd.sh
./midi/TiMidity++.sh
./midi/freepats.sh
./artwork/gtk-engines.sh
./artwork/gtk-xfce-engine.sh
./artwork/vanilla-dmz.sh
As you can see, all these are build scripts I wrote. There's a tool that builds those packages on another Puppy without having to install it first, so it's much easier. :)

I not sure if I'll have the time to upload all these, but if I do - it's the biggest pile of packages I ever upload at once :lol:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]