Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Karl Godt

#361 Post by Karl Godt »

Here's something to test for possible inclusion in the next Instant Update.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/alsa_ ... 1.0.24.pet
Especially please test this if you can if you are having any problems with sound. We also need to test to make sure it doesn't cause problems for people who are not having problems I am running it and haven't had a problem. Install and reboot. Thanks.
It would be most convenient if any results of this test could be reported in the Lucid 5.2.8 thread. Thanks.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855
I had never really sound problems with the standard Puppy kernels [ but with self compiled ones [ especially configured to let udev manage the dynamic minors without mountig /dev at boot ] ] , but I tested the drivers dotPET on 2 older Puppies frugally installed with kernel 2.6.33.2 , and finally i managed to load the drivers for my soundcard . There are some probs not being automatically loaded at boot but thats no real problem for now .

Just out of couriosity i did download the alsa-10.24 src , too and diffed it to kernel-2.6.36.0 , which i had handy , sound directory .
The diff -uarNd became : TWO hundred TWENTYSEVEN thousand FOUR hundred FOURTYTHREE lines !!!!

Most differences are like
@@ -54,7 +54,7 @@
#include <linux/gfp.h>
#include "usbusx2yaudio.c"

-#if defined(USX2Y_NRPACKS_VARIABLE) || (!defined(USX2Y_NRPACKS_VARIABLE) && USX2Y_NRPACKS == 1)
+#if defined(USX2Y_NRPACKS_VARIABLE) || USX2Y_NRPACKS == 1

#include <sound/hwdep.h>
and only one line , but for example "Linux driver for TerraTec DMX 6Fire USB" is completely new !!!

The 2.6.36 and 37 kernels seem to have alsa-1.0.23 [ /include/sound/version.h ] , while the 2.6.33 kernel started with alsa-1.0.21 ....

So it would be a nice idea to add alsa-1.0.22 and alsa-1.0.23 as alsa kernel-driver pets , too .

playdayz

#362 Post by playdayz »

Having a savefile problem in 528!

528 loads perfect, able to do downloads OK, program works great, etc., the problem is at shutdown.

Everything in shutdown is normal right up to and including 'Creatin Disk Space' on the savefile I have named... but... It never asks for the next option to include files from the CD to HDD for faster loading next time, the computer then just shuts down.

On reboot (or startup) it asks for the savefile I want to load (have several on HDD). I select the savefile I want, it starts loading then I get the 'KERNEL PANIC' and computer STOPS!

Appreciate any advice on how I can get by this problem somehow?

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
I would try this: boot 528 without a save file and immediately Shutdown and create a save file, rather than installing anything--don't change window managers.

Hmm, if that doesn't work, perhaps boot 528 and install the Instant update 001 and then Shutdown and create a save file.

Then, do change window managers, Desktop Settings -> WM Switcher.

Are you creating the save file on a Linux partition?

Or short circuit the problem, and make a copy of a previous Lucid save file, then choose that to boot, and let 528 upgrade it. Do try this *with a copy* of a previous save file ;-)

I guess you are sure you have enough space on the save file partition--Puppy checks before it offers you the size choices, but who knows.

Please let us know. Thanks.

bigpup

#363 Post by bigpup »

Lucid Puppy is LTS (Long Term Support).
Very much needed in the Puppy world.
To often a version of Puppy develops, but never quite gets to 100% before it is passed over for a newer direction.
I see Lucid Puppy as the solid version of Puppy.
Bug fixing and program update (for needed improvement) should be the continued direction for Lucid Puppy.
I see Slacko as the bleeding edge version, to support the bleeding edge new hardware that requires the newer Linux kernels.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#364 Post by bigpup »

If I were to make a pet that would "Lupufy" Slacko, are there suggestions about what could be included? By Lupufy I mean add some of the "convenience/usability" features of Lupu.
Puppy Help 101
PupControl
No Blank Screen
Simple GTK GTK Theme Maker
JWM Theme Maker
Cloud Apps
RoxTerm
SearchMonkey file finder
Stay Connected to Internet
Xine DVD/DVD Player
HomeBank Help
Abiword Help
YaPI(any iso installer)

scsijon

#365 Post by scsijon »

majorfoo wrote: Couple of small suggestions on remaster process

1. When you boot the remastered cd, you are required to go through the personalize settings screens. Could this be eliminated? This was accomplished on original boot.
majorfoo,

Have you considered that the personalized screens would be needed to allow changes for moving to a different box, after some hardware change or even giving the remastered puppy to others?

just a thought

regards
scsijon

666philb

#366 Post by 666philb »

i updated and repackaged the 'toribash' game into an sfs. for lucid.
needs your graphic drivers installed

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xqoyfx35m ... d_sfs4.sfs
md5 298563af623e0b81a28d45ff18e0f9e3
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

gortonc

#367 Post by gortonc »

Your discussion with rerwin gave me the idea that after that we might stress remastering--how each person can create their own personal Lucid, with exactly the programs they want.
Here, Here - I second the motion! Keep up the good work folks, and thanks for everything.

Volhout

remastering

#368 Post by Volhout »

PlayDays, Rerwin,

Thanks for your continued support. If you plan to spend some energy in the remastering process, I am eager to follow that activity.

bigpup

#369 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Something to consider adding to PPM or putting in an instant update.

Easy way to do a backup of the save file. Adds right click menu option to make backup using Pschedule.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71976
YaPI(any iso installer)

osgradel

#370 Post by osgradel »

I'm still having sound problems. Posted also in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 192#571192 , I didn't know where I should post, sorry for the duplicated

sszindian

Savefile - Kernel Panic

#371 Post by sszindian »

playdayz wrote:

I would try this: boot 528 without a save file and immediately Shutdown and create a save file, rather than installing anything--don't change window managers.

sszindian replied: Didn't work... savefile problem persists!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
playdayz wrote:

Hmm, if that doesn't work, perhaps boot 528 and install the Instant update 001 and then Shutdown and create a save file.

sszindian replied: Didn't work... savefile problem persists!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
playdayz wrote:

Then, do change window managers, Desktop Settings -> WM Switcher.

sszindian replied: Didn't work... savefile problem persists
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
playdayz wrote:

Are you creating the save file on a Linux partition?

sszindian replied: my entire HDD is Linux, I don't use Windows for anything including storage space.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
playdayz wrote:

Or short circuit the problem, and make a copy of a previous Lucid save file, then choose that to boot, and let 528 upgrade it. Do try this *with a copy* of a previous save file

sszindian replied: Even when I use another previously working savefile from another Lupu version, I get the Kernel Panic on a restart and reboot.
playdayz wrote:

I guess you are sure you have enough space on the save file partition--Puppy checks before it offers you the size choices, but who knows.

sszindian replied: I have tons of available space.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I even installed and used shonobars savefile.pet creator and upon reboot or startup got the same Kernel Panic after selecting it.

Sure beats me, never had a savefile be so stubborn before?

And like I said.... on a shutdown or reboot from 528 loaded strictly in RAM, a savefile 'Is Created' but it gives the Kernel Panic on startup or reboot.

On shutdown, the savefile goes as far as letting me create the unique-name for it (and I've tried several) but the 2nd part where it is supposed to ask if I want to copy files from the CD to the HDD 'Never Happens!' It just starts creating the savefile to the HDD (which in fact it does) then shuts down (or reboots) according to my quiting command. Next reboot or startup.... Kernel Panic!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

playdayz

#372 Post by playdayz »

sszindian, Darn. Have you tried Three-Headed Dog? As I say often ;-) it is identical to 5.2.8, but with the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel from Slacko and upgraded multimedia components.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

sszindian

#373 Post by sszindian »

playdayz wrote:

szzindian, Darn. Have you tried Three-Headed Dog? As I say often it is identical to 5.2.8, but with the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel from Slacko and upgraded multimedia components.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes.... 3-hd'd dog works perfect... I found no problems at all with it so far in my testing.

I also tried:

lupu_528_k3.0.4_SMP(cpu)
new kernel 3.0.4
[ Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 ] wuxiandianzi

and that gives me the same Kernel Panic thingy! Although it (like the regular 528) initially loads and runs (like 528) and really works nice (very fast) I asked 'wuxiandianzi' if he would make a .pet of the 3.0.4 Kernel so others can try it in various puppy's, I hope he does as I say... the speed is very impressive in 528 version he made.

Anyway, because I get the same Kernel Panic in BOTH your 528 and his 3.0.4.Kernel-528, I am believing there is something in 528 itself, somewhere that is causing the problem.

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

Re: 528

#374 Post by playdayz »

Yes.... 3-hd'd dog works perfect... I found no problems at all with it so far in my testing

I am recommending that if one has problems with 5.2.8 they use Three-Headed Dog.
Anyway, because I get the same Kernel Panic in BOTH your 528 and his 3.0.4.Kernel-528, I am believing there is something in 528 itself, somewhere that is causing the problem.
Certainly that says it is not the kernel.

sszindian

#375 Post by sszindian »

playdayz:

Not a problem using 3-headed-dog, I just wanted you to know the problem with 528 (at least on my machine) as I'm sure you are likely to run into problems down the road with other users if 528 stays as a major distro!

I test whatever versions I can and try to help! It's a lot of work as I'm sure you know... one thing, would sure like to see the 304 Kernel in 3-headed down the road?

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

#376 Post by playdayz »

sszindian, I am still thinking, Is this a frugal install or LiveCD that has the savefile problem?

scsijon

#377 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote:sszindian, I am still thinking, Is this a frugal install or LiveCD that has the savefile problem?
Playdayz,
not sure if any help, but I get sszindian's problem on my oldest box (box3) IF I create a savefile, no savefile no problem on reboot, with savefile kernal panic. It also happens with barry's racy, however wary is ok just to confuse the issue.

scsijon

525 Full to 528 Upgrade

#378 Post by scsijon »

rerwin wrote:
scsijon wrote:?so now all I need is to await your pre-installer pet and I can go ahead?
Please do not wait. It does not apply to most upgrade situations and never to full installations. Proceed with your upgrade!Richard
A short comment:

Upgrade has gone well (sort of) 16 neusances to solve, all minor problems or warnings (I think). Will enter them within this comment tomorrow when I have sat time and we will see what can be done with them.

regards
scsijon
EDIT: It's below, I had a work problem to attend too!!!
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#379 Post by playdayz »

There have been reports of problems with sound in 5.2.8, especially with the snd-hda-intel.ko driver. My main test computer has that driver and I have not had a problem--which proves exactly nothing ;-)

I have prepared a pet that *might* help those people. It is ready for testing--if you have had a problem with sound in 5.2.8. Thanks.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 308#571308

sszindian

#380 Post by sszindian »

playdayz wrote:

sszindian, I am still thinking, Is this a frugal install or LiveCD that has the savefile problem?

I boot 'all puppy's' from a CD and only use the HDD for the savefiles.

>>>---Indian------>