Woof Archlinux

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
disciple

#41 Post by disciple »

Some upgrades will install new config files which then have to be merged into your existing files, and this step has to be done manually, file by file. Once you know how it is not difficult
What do you mean, "once you know how"? Is there somewhere that tells you "how"? Does it somehow avoid overwriting the old config files, so you actually still have them to merge with the new ones?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pizzasgood

#42 Post by Pizzasgood »

For example, if you already have the configuration file /etc/someconfig.conf, and the package wants to install a new one, the new one will be installed as /etc/someconfig.conf.pacnew. It will then tell you that it was installed as such. It is up to you to compare them and figure out what you want to do about it.

It's usually pretty easy to deal with. The new config files will usually just have a new option or a renamed option or trivial stuff like that. So the process is normally to just update your copy accordingly, or else add your desired settings to the new (vanilla) version and move it over the old one.

I like to use "vimdiff" for that, personally.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

ajbibb wrote:I've now moved over to trying and create an Arch system that can boot from USB and save and load user files like a Puppy.
I guess them are into grub2? What about making that Arch thing of yours
truly Puppy like in that it can boot on NTFS internal HDD in frugal install
using grub4dos? That would be cool! :)

Even TinyCore can do that now so why not Arch.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ajbibb

#44 Post by ajbibb »

What about making that Arch thing of yours truly Puppy like in that it can boot on NTFS internal HDD in frugal install
Your question touches on something I've been pondering: what is it that makes Puppy a Puppy, or for that matter what makes any distro what it is. In my own mind I've come to the conslusion that it really boils down to the startup scripts, and to a lesser extent the shutdown scripts. Seems to me everything in between can be found in some form or another in any distribution.

If it is the startup and shutdown scripts that define a distro then I doubt what I'm working on will be a true Puppy. I'm planning to use as much of the Arch stuff as possible since the kernel, xorg, scripts and all the other things come from their repos and are built to operate together. My Woof attempts with the kernel from Lucid, packages from Arch, and a few PETs from T2 were, not surprisingly, a disaster in that nothing wanted to play with anything else.

A frual install is something I would work towards (mainly because I'd use it), but it will be down the road a bit. I don't think that where I'm trying to go will be a true Puppy, more like a FrankenPup.

Pizzasgood - thanks for answering that question for me. I use Meld for the diffs, probably very similar to vimdiff I expect.

nooby

#45 Post by nooby »

I found what this guy did rather cool. I've tested to boot at least three
Arch variations and his was the only that actually booted frugally.

Archiso-live 20110104 Release « Godane's Development Blog
godane.wordpress.com/.../archiso-live-201101...
Be the first to like this post. ~ by godane on January 5, 2011. Posted in archiso-live, release. 10 Responses to “Archiso-live 20110104 Release
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ajbibb

#46 Post by ajbibb »

There is an announcement regarding this topic in the Announcements section.