gnome-ppp - GUI front-end for wvdial.conf

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

gnome-ppp - GUI front-end for wvdial.conf

#1 Post by muggins »

this is a tentative posting of gnome-ppp, a gui front-end for wvdial.conf. I say tentative as it doesn't like my dreaded winmodem, but appears ready to go.

could someone with a real modem try installling & see if it's a goer?

N.B. It does need you to first have /root/.etc/wvdial.conf file.
Attachments
gnome-ppp.tar.gz
(64.22 KiB) Downloaded 794 times

Billcnz

#2 Post by Billcnz »

I tested it on my laptop (Puppy201) with an ltmodem (although that's probably not the real sort of modem you were talking about). A hidden /root/.wvdial.conf file was automatically created from the info I typed into gnome-ppp but wvdial couldn't find my modem even when I typed in /dev/ttyLT0 and since gnome-ppp is a front end for wvdial it wasn't going to work. However I also tested in Grafpup 1.04 (I had to modprobe lt_serial first) and this time it instantly recognised the ltmodem and I was able to connect without a problem. It maybe that it's a different version of wvdial in Grafpup and maybe the one in Puppy was compiled to only recognise the standard serial ports (just a guess). Of course one can use Gkdial to dialout in Puppy2 which bipasses wvdial and works fine, but gnome-ppp is a nice dialler.

Bill

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

bill,

glad you got it working. when i first ran wvdial it wouldn't see my ltmodem but, after googling, did ln -s /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/ttySLTO,
and wvdial was OK, yet gnome-ppp seems to start connecting, but doesn't.

i'm quite happy using gkdial, just thought i'd put it up as an alternative.
thanks again for trying.

Billcnz

#4 Post by Billcnz »

I checked the Wvdial home page and it said support for ltmodems came in with version 1.5 and Puppy2 is using version 1.4. I copied the following files from my Grafpup install just to test as it is using wvdial 1.53:

/usr/bin
wvdial
wvdialconf
wvdialshell

/usr/lib
libwvstreams.so.3.7
libwvstreams.so.3.7

and bingo! now gnome-ppp finds the ltmodem and dials out OK, of course if you had a real external modem the old version would work fine.

Bill

oops, I was a bit hasty posting the above, it does dial out ok but shortly after the pppd daemon dies suddenly. Obviously one should compile correct versions of wvdial and wvstreams in Puppy2.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

This is very interesting!
I've just downloaded the latest wvdial (1.56) and will test as soon as I get off
the Internet.
I've got a plain ordinary serial hardware modem.

I was wondering why I never considered Gnome-ppp before, as I had done
exhaustive searching for dialup apps.
So downloaded the source, and in the changelog it says that dependency on
Gnome libraries was only removed about mid-2005. So, I probably looked
at it and rejected it.

I wish I had a linmodem to test on! Anyway, I'll report back.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

bill,

i just checked & my pupversion, 1.08, has wvdial 1.42. And it couldn't see ltmodem, until i symlinked as above, & now definitely can see it.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

I got errors trying to compile the latest wvstreams and wvdial, so I looked back
in my notebooks and discovered that I never ever succeeded in compiling
wvdial. It's one of those impossible-to-compile apps.
Both the 1.4 and 1.53 packages are binaries that we got from elsewhere.
the 1.4 binary was found by GuestToo, and I got 1.53 out of Mandrake 9.2.

Anyway, wvdial 1.53 and gnome-ppp works fine. I used it to get online, no
problems at all. I reckon this will be in the next puppy, v2.02!

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I would like to check this out with my SmartLink modems. Could you make the new wvdial available for testing?
Thanks.
Richard
Enthusiastic Puppy fan
- Toshiba Equium 7100S, 400MHz, 256MB, 4GB, Puppy+Vector-std
- IBM Aptiva, 400MHz, 160MB, 4GB, Puppy (test lab)
- Toshiba Satellite 2535CDS, 300MHz, 64MB, 4GB, Puppy
- 1.8 GHz, 512MB, 40GB+100GB+320GB, WinXP+Puppy (DVD)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

rerwin, the 'new' wvdial is not new. I'm using the unleashed 1.53 package
aivalable on ibiblio -- pupget doesn't list it though (must check that),
same as what Grafpup is using.

But, I have problems with gnome-ppp, see my Developer News blog.
www.puppyos.net/news/

Billcnz

#10 Post by Billcnz »

Barry,
I tried gnome-ppp again and it's not dropping out after dialing any more. What I did was tick the check box in the options panel that says:
"ignore terminal strings (stupid mode)". I think it was waiting for some string to come back from the ISP and it wasn't happening.

Bill

vodsonic

What happened to the old wvdial frontend?

#11 Post by vodsonic »

I liked gnome-ppp because it worked well for me, but what I really miss is the old barebones gui frontend for wvdial that was last seen in Puppy 2.01.

I started out using Puppy 1.0.8 early this year, and loved it. I'm out in the sticks and limited to dialup internet. Puppy's modem setup wizard correctly found and set up my modem. I spent a morning trying to get gkdial and xeznet to talk to my serial hardware modem (U.S. Robotics Courier Business Modem - really solid, and used ones are cheap on ebay). But even with a lot of searching on the forum and the web, I was unable to get gkdial or xeznet to work at all. Wvdial, started from Puppy's menu, worked like a charm.

I later installed Puppy 2.01, and my dialup kept working fine with wvdial. (I prefer to reinstall from scratch rather than upgrade - in principle, it seems less crufty - not that Puppy has much cruft to speak of.) I skipped Puppy 2.02 and went straight to 2.10r1, which, much to my dismay, no longer had wvdial on the menu. (Cruft, begone! - ???)

I could start it from the command line, but it couldn't find its configuration files. (In older Puppy versions, when you started Wvdial for the first time, it brought up the configuration file for you to edit, and then saved it for future use.) I hadn't backed up my old Wvdial.conf, so I spent some time on the web trying to figure out how to create it. I could get the modem to pick up the phone and dial, but it wouldn't talk to the ISP properly. I tried Gkdial and Xeznet again, but no luck.

So I pulled out my Puppy live CDs and started working backwards. The most recent version that includes a working Wvdial is 2.01. But 2.02 has gnome-ppp, which works great out of the box with my U.S. Robotics modem. I've been using 2.02 ever since, with no complaints.

I realize I should have backed up my old wvdial.conf before reinstalling, but I had no idea that the old way of setting up wvdial was going to disappear in the newer version of Puppy. If I could free up a couple of full days from work and other obligations, I might be able to tinker with things in 2.10 and find a way to get my dialup connection working. I noticed in the release notes that Puppy 2.11 rolls back to an earlier version of wvdial, but haven't tried 2.11 yet (waiting to go on a trip for some broadband - it would take me 6+ hrs to download the .iso here). But in the meantime, I'm stuck at 2.02.

I can't seem to download gnome-ppp or anything else for wvdial as a DotPup either. I do understand that Barry had some problems with gnome-ppp.

I know that there are size and dependency issues with any program, but the old graphical frontend for wvdial can't have been huge - it was dead plain. Why was it gotten rid of?

Apologies all round for my not-very-geeky, end-user perspective. I just wanted to point out that the old wvdial frontend is sorely missed around here.

MU

#12 Post by MU »

You can install gnome-ppp with Pupget.
Is it not listed in yours?
If not, you can download it from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... .23.tar.gz

Or use PSI, gnome-ppp is in "000 no category".
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10960

Mark

vodsonic

#13 Post by vodsonic »

Thanks, Mark.

gnome-ppp doesn't show up in my PupGet in Puppy 2.02, but I downloaded it from the link you provided.

PSI looks great - I look forward to trying it.

vodsonic

#14 Post by vodsonic »

OK. I installed gnome-ppp with PupGet in Puppy 2.10r1. Worked great, until I rebooted. After that, any time I connected, pppd would immediatly die, exit status 2 ("An error was detected in processing the options given, such as two mutually exclusive options being used," according to the man page.)

I finally was able to download Puppy 2.11 while on a trip, and tried it out today. Wvdial appears on the Network submenu like it did in pre-2.01 versions, and starts the old configuration wizard and console-window GUI.

So I'm a big fan of 2.11 already.