How to use a gamepad to play games online?

Booting, installing, newbie
Italynux

How to use a gamepad to play games online?

#1 Post by Italynux »

Is it possible to use a gamepad to play online flash, java and so on games instead of the keyboard?
Thanks!

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

I suppose that'll depend on what you've got there. Check- might be worth further investigation..

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

There are also utilities that let you map your gamepad pad and buttons to whatever keys you want, like Rejoystick (if I remember the name correctly).
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Italynux

#4 Post by Italynux »

Makoto wrote:There are also utilities that let you map your gamepad pad and buttons to whatever keys you want, like Rejoystick (if I remember the name correctly).
Thank you!
It's what I was searching for! 8) :wink:

Italynux

#5 Post by Italynux »

Makoto wrote:There are also utilities that let you map your gamepad pad and buttons to whatever keys you want, like Rejoystick (if I remember the name correctly).

ehm.... sorry, I need a little more help
I downloaded rejoystick (tar.gz)
I unzipped in a folder.
Now, help file stats to execute ./configure, then make and make install
ok, but where?
I tried in roxterm, navigated to rejoystick folder, but ./configure returns to me "no such file or directory".

thanks for your attention

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

Unfortunately, the last time I tried to compile rejoystick was quite a while ago, so I don't remember much about it (such as whether or not I was able to get past the configure step). You might try making a post about rejoystick in the Games subforum, so that others might see it and be able to help.

sc0ttman has a version of rejoystick compiled for Puppy Arcade (RejoystickCC, if I remember correctly), but I'm not sure if he's made it available separately. You might also try xjoy2key.

I haven't really tried using either program, so I probably wouldn't be much help in getting them working. :oops:

(Edit: Just to be safe, you do have the devx .sfs/environment for your version of Puppy installed, right? :) )

(Edit #2: Where did you download rejoystick from, and how did you extract it? I downloaded rejoystick-0.8.1.tar.gz from http://rejoystick.sourceforge.net/, extracted it with

Code: Select all

tar xvf rejoystick-0.8.1.tar.gz
...and configure was in the base directory of the extracted rejoystick folder.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Italynux

#7 Post by Italynux »

Makoto, thanks so much!

xjoy2key works well! I need only to configure my pad keys in order to have the exact output but it's ok!.

Now I wish to try rejoystick with your last hints, but you solved my problem.
Thanks again 8)

darkcity

#8 Post by darkcity »

added to wiki

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InputDevices

anyone fancy writing a wiki page about game pads? :twisted: