Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 08:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Lose Glipper icon in taskbar
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
tytower

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct 2011, 06:16    Post subject:  Lose Glipper icon in taskbar  

With 5.28

After D/L of Firefox 5 I loose the Glipper icon in the tray .On boot it shows up for a second then the tray does a refresh and the icon is gone .

I don't seem to be able to get it back?
666philb

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 09:25    Post subject:  

hi tytower

see if this works....
navigate to /usr/local/bin/ and then drag and drop 'glipper' to /root/startup/ and choose 'link relative' from the options that pop up.

Luluc

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:00    Post subject:  

That has been happening to me for a long time, I just don't know when/why it started and if it has anything to do with Firefox.
tytower

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 13:54    Post subject:  

I did as 666philb suggested saved and rebooted but to no avail
magerlab

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 14:00    Post subject:  

I notice this happens every time fbpanel refreshes
so i use parcelite instead

tytower

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 14:50    Post subject:  

I just kept fiddling.
By using PupControl from the menu/utility i went to Manager and clicked on and off the Clipboard icon and up it came !

Whether it stays or not is another thing but I did a pupsave and a backup copy at that point so heres hoping
disciple

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 15:50    Post subject:  

I'm curious:
1. Do you have glipper-lite, or the old version of glipper? (I can't see any version in the 5.x repositories).
2. How is glipper being started? Is it by code like this in ~/.xinitrc?
Code:
[ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && glipper &

I don't know why glipper would be disappearing, but I suspect it would be solved if there was a delay at startup before it is run. I think 666philb is correct that starting it via /root/startup/ would introduce a delay.

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
tytower

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2011, 21:09    Post subject:  

glipper 0.89

I am not familiar enough with Puppy to find the xinitrc file. Where exactly would it be ? I do not see it in my ~/ directory?

The above fix to bring back the taskbar icon only lasts the session and must be done each boot.

I did as suggested above so now I suppose its started by the above procedure . Usually when you leave them on in the task bar they start auto at boot and this one does so as I can see the icon on first boot but then it disappears on what seems to be a refresh of the taskbar

And YES it does it every time I do a fbpanel refresh ! It disappears !

Thanks to the posters , at least now I can get it when I need it
disciple

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 01:56    Post subject:  

Quote:
Usually when you leave them on in the task bar they start auto at boot and this one does

FWIW nothing can autostart at boot depending on whether it was running at shutdown (although it could if Puppy and it supported session management). One of the startup scripts needs to start it. In the case of glipper, .xinitrc starts it depending on whether or not /root/.glipper_on exists. Try right-clicking on glipper and closing it. It will still start next time you boot.

Back to your problem - I might install fbpanel to try to see if it is a problem with fbpanel or with glipper.

- - -
disciple

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 07:55    Post subject:  

OK, I haven't tried fbpanel, but I've realised if I exit then restart jwm (without exiting X) that also kills glipper(-lite).

So:
1) glipper should be improved so that it survives if the tray disappears. Some more work on glipper-lite is maybe no. 3 on my software todo list, so I'll see if I can sort that out.

2) Presumably fbpanel does not really support refreshing (e.g. to update the menu). Can anyone confirm which of these two options is the case?:
a) fbpanel has a restart command similar to jwm, or
b) fbpanel is being restarted by a script someone has put in Puppy (perhaps as a side effect of a script designed to kill it and then restart it to update the menu). I don't see why you would want to refresh the panel immediately after opening it, so maybe try to stop that.

magerlab wrote:
I notice this happens every time fbpanel refreshes

Does fbpanel refresh by itself? Or do you have to refresh it manually?
Much as I prefer glipper, I'd have to say magerlab's suggestion is easiest - try the latest version of parcellite instead.

- - -
boolean

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 08:23    Post subject:  

That how i fixed this problem for Glipper and Truecrypt:
i changed this in /usr/sbin/pfbpanel: what's between ########

Code:

killall vattery
  killall powerapplet_tray
################################# 
  [ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && killall glipper
  [ -f /root/.TrueCrypt-lock-root ] && kill $(pgrep /usr/bin/truecrypt)
################################# 
  #now kill and restart the panel...
  killall fbpanel
  fbpanel &
  sleep 1
  [ "`which freememapplet_tray`" != "" ] && freememapplet_tray &
  [ -f /root/Startup/freememapplet_tray ] && /root/Startup/freememapplet_tray & #100518
  sleep 0.1
  [ "`which blinky_tray`" != "" ] && blinky_tray &
  [ -f /root/Startup/network_tray ] && /root/Startup/network_tray & #100518
  sleep 0.1
#################################  #################################
  [ -f /root/.glipper_on ] && glipper &
  sleep 0.1
  [ -f /root/.TrueCrypt-lock-root ] && /usr/bin/truecrypt &
  sleep 0.1
#################################  #################################
  if [ "`which retrovol`" != "" ];then
   if [ "`retrovol -help 2>&1 | grep '\-show'`" != "" ];then

Last edited by boolean on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 08:43; edited 2 times in total
disciple

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 08:31    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
OK, I haven't tried fbpanel, but I've realised if I exit then restart jwm (without exiting X) that also kills glipper(-lite).

So:
1) glipper should be improved so that it survives if the tray disappears. Some more work on glipper-lite is maybe no. 3 on my software todo list, so I'll see if I can sort that out.

It turns out I reported exactly the same issue with exactly the same messages for retrovol, and Pizzasgood fixed it in version 0.6. So I guess it should be possible to apply essentially the same fix. I think I might have some time Thursday night to find the place to apply it.
Code:
(glipper:27370): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkWidget'

(glipper:27370): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_display: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(glipper:27370): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkWidget'

(glipper:27370): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_get_display: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_xid_table_lookup_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault

http://puppylinux.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/puppylinux/retrovol/trunk/src/main.cpp?r1=141&r2=140&pathrev=141

- - -
tytower

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2011, 14:31    Post subject:  

In the interim I can report boolean's change worked for me atm.
file was in /usr/sbin in Puppy 5.28
Thanks
disciple

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:06    Post subject:  

Please see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=571240#571240 for a fixed glipper.
- - -
tytower

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2011, 00:15    Post subject:  

disciple wrote:
disciple wrote:

So:

It turns out I reported exactly the same issue with exactly the same messages for retrovol, and Pizzasgood fixed it in version 0.6. So I guess it should be possible to apply essentially the same fix. I think I might have some time Thursday night to find the place to apply it.
Code:

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

(glipper:27370): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_xid_table_lookup_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation fault

http://puppylinux.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/puppylinux/retrovol/trunk/src/main.cpp?r1=141&r2=140&pathrev=141

Guess this is just another fall by the wayside fix , not worth the paper its written on.
Probably why it still isn't fixed in the latest version.

When I was at my busiest I had a foolscap pad witth everything I had to do written on it immediately it came up.
When I did it I crossed it off. From time to time I would transpose the undone things to a new list.
Best system ever , I never forgot to do anything. It ran to 4 full pages sometimes!
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: