How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
DaveS

#61 Post by DaveS »

OK, scanimage -L gave me the printer name as seen by CUPS which I then added as this config file.

Code: Select all

<uri>hpaio:/net/Photosmart_C4380_series?serial=CN83EF716W051Q?ip=192.168.0.2</uri>
Nothing else as it is a flatbed scanner.
All ok now... thanks for all the help.
Last edited by DaveS on Mon 03 Oct 2011, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

davids45

#62 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

It's been a long week-end here in NSW and I've been away from town visiting family, so missed seeing your reply (and the now deleted pet attachments) until now.

I cannot recall how I extracted the .rpm driver file - it may have been with one of MU's filer packages - it's been a few months since I did it.

Checking fujixerox again I see there's now a zip file for the linux driver for the C1110. So I may see if I can get that to be better and can provide currently missing or non-functioning files.

I would appreciate being able to obtain the cups-pdf pet if it's not too large for forum attachment. Is it distro-dependant, or could you indicate a download link?

Thanks,
David S.

rcrsn51

#63 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have restored the attachments above.

8-bit

#64 Post by 8-bit »

I stumbled across this thread and actually took the time to read it.
I have a Canon MP390 printer that has the printer partially supported in linux and it works to an extent.
But I had never been able to get the scanner to work with Puppy Lucid 520 until I tried your command line tests on it.
The good news is that I was able to scan a tif format image using the command line.
That printer was not listed in Sane as being compatible as to the scanner working.

Now I know that it will work, am I restricted to the command line for scanning, or can I use Peasyscan. with it?

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

8-bit wrote:But I had never been able to get the scanner to work with Puppy Lucid 520 until I tried your command line tests on it. The good news is that I was able to scan a tif format image using the command line.
1. What tests are you referring to?
2. What additional drivers did you install?
3. Have you tried Xsane?

rcrsn51

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

@8-bit: Are we done the discussion about your MP390? You never answered my questions.

davids45

#67 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,
Thanks for re-attaching your fujixerox driver pet (for the C1110 colour laser) and the cups-pdf driver.
I've now got them and can report that in slacko-b5, and with cups-1.3.11, the cups-pdf driver installed and makes nicely sized pdfs.
My fujixerox 1110 printer had worked in slacko-b5 with my old driver/ppd file and cups-1.3.11. But I'll try the colour-laser pet you prepared in the next few days with the other Full Pups I have at present on this computer (where I've generally replaced the 1.4.xx Cups with the 1.3.11 Cups).
I have a lot of Frugals installed that will still have the Cups included by the particular developer so I can see how the fujixerox pet goes with a range of Cups versions.
I'll report back in a few days with details.
Thanks again,
David S.

darkcity

#68 Post by darkcity »

I've added page to wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Printers

DaveS

#69 Post by DaveS »

OK, I have tried this every which way, but I cannot get Slacko to autodetect my wifi printer on my network. Dpup and others can. How might I de-bug this? Any ideas?
BTW, I DO have my printer and scan element working, but only because I know the network address.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#70 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:OK, I have tried this every which way, but I cannot get Slacko to autodetect my wifi printer on my network. Dpup and others can.
Do you have the firewall turned on?

DaveS

#71 Post by DaveS »

Yes... Ha Ha, using Racy just now.. how would I turn the firewall off? Currently trying to figure out the different syntax for the config file with the earlier CUPS.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#72 Post by rcrsn51 »

I just checked this in Slacko. Turning on the firewall will definitely keep "Find New Printers" from working. Right-click on the tray icon to turn the firewall off.

DaveS

#73 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:I just checked this in Slacko. Turning on the firewall will definitely keep "Find New Printers" from working. Right-click on the tray icon to turn the firewall off.
Great, that fixed it. Still struggling with 'no scanners detected' with Racy though.
Strange it was the firewall, yet in dpup exprimo it finds the printer with the firewall on. Good to resolve it though thanks.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#74 Post by DaveS »

Here is the terminal output from Racy

/usr/local/peasyscan/scan: line 4: 12047 Segmentation fault      $PEASYPATH/xscanimage-peasy $URI 2>/dev/null
Damn, Racy is difficult! Everything seems to need to be specially compiled for it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are not enough hours in my day to look at Racy. But you can try using Xsane from the command line with

xsane URI
using the URI from Peasyscan.

DaveS

#76 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:There are not enough hours in my day to look at Racy. But you can try using Xsane from the command line with

xsane URI
using the URI from Peasyscan.
LOL... I quite agree. Everything works really well with Slacko, so its a done deal :)

Edit: Gave it a shot.. it segfaults too.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#77 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, will it work in Racy connected by USB?

It may be that the HPLIP package needs to be compiled specifically for Racy.

DaveS

#78 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:Just out of curiosity, will it work in Racy connected by USB?

Will check tomorrow........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#79 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:Just out of curiosity, will it work in Racy connected by USB?

OK, it seems to work via USB.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#80 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the problem. The hplip_scan driver includes the library libnetsnmp, which provides networking services. For some reason, Racy needs its own version of this library. If you compile libnetsnmp specifically for Racy, then wifi scanning works.