MacChanger

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
admiralspark

MacChanger

#1 Post by admiralspark »

Hello everyone,
some of you might be familiar with the CLI utility called the GNU Macchanger. It's a small program invoked through the terminal to change the MAC address of any wired or wireless interface you have. I personally only use it with my wireless card (for security purposes, wireless is a bit more anonymous where I am). Some thoughts on what it's used for:
*If you're in an area that will share internet only with devices registering specific MAC addresses, you can spoof one of those.
*If you wish to remain rather anonymous while connected to a WAP, you can change your mac address so that it appears that some other wireless device is connected, say, if you were hogging bandwidth (bad you!) and you didn't want whoever's monitoring it to say "Aha! So and so with XX.XX.XX.XX.XX as a MAC is using it up! Now I can check my list and see who that belongs to!" Of course, it's certainly not a cureall for security, but it helps.

Here is the website: http://www.alobbs.com/macchanger/

It's up to your imagination for uses!

NOTE: I should probably do some fat trimming, this can be considered a testing version to make sure it compiled and packaged correctly.
Attachments
macchanger-1.5.0-i486.pet
Macchanger .pet file
(81.68 KiB) Downloaded 1531 times

Amgine

#2 Post by Amgine »