Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jim3630

#321 Post by jim3630 »

jim3630 wrote:
playdayz wrote:
The save file extension would be 2fs or 3fs depending on the partition type, not sfs. I set it up to append the date/time so it would not show up in the boot screen, since it is a backup.
Gotcha. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Firefox 7.0***

Here's Firefox 7.0 for Lucid and 3HD.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid525.pet

Flashplayer 10.3.183.10

There is a new Flashplayer. The Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8 has a program GetFlash under Internet. Flashplayer is coming so often now that it doesn't hurt to run that every week or so to stay current--running it does not use any extra memory--the new Flashplayer replaces the old one.

Opera 11.51

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Seamonkey 2.4

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid525.pet

Google Chrome 14

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

TOR-Browser 2.2.32-4
Surf Anonymously - Now with Firefox 6.0.2

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... ucid52.pet
woo hoo, thanks playdayz! looks like these are the same as posted for 529. are these interchangeable?
anyone know if these pets are the same as the ones posted on 3HD aka 529 thread?

playdayz

#322 Post by playdayz »

looks like these are the same as posted for 529. are these interchangeable
jim3630, Yes. These are the same as in 3HD Three-Headed Dog.

The most relevant differences now between Lucid 5.2.8 and 3HD are 1) that 3HD uses the 2.6.37.6 kernel, and 2) 3HD Version 2 has upgraded multimedia by default. But as far as I know everything that will run in 5.2.8 will run in 3HD--but as soon as I say that something will probably turn up ;-)

jim3630

#323 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:
looks like these are the same as posted for 529. are these interchangeable
jim3630, Yes. These are the same as in 3HD Three-Headed Dog.

The most relevant differences now between Lucid 5.2.8 and 3HD are 1) that 3HD uses the 2.6.37.6 kernel, and 2) 3HD Version 2 has upgraded multimedia by default. But as far as I know everything that will run in 5.2.8 will run in 3HD--but as soon as I say that something will probably turn up ;-)
ain't that the truth. thanks for the info after mixing browsers in the past, but that was 3HD and slacko, thought better check.

Hotdog

Can 5.2.8 Full Install Be Remastered to a Live CD?

#324 Post by Hotdog »

Puppy 5.2.8 is perfect for me. I did a full install and added all the extras that I wanted (Thanks to you guys and your .pet and .sfs files!). Now I'd like to make a new live CD from my machine both for show-and-tell and new installs. Even with lots of searches and reading many forums, there are only vague references to this topic. A hint of where to look for some info would be much appreciated.

To anyone here who contributed to Puppy 5.2.8, you did good!

jim3630

Re: Can 5.2.8 Full Install Be Remastered to a Live CD?

#325 Post by jim3630 »

Hotdog wrote:Puppy 5.2.8 is perfect for me. I did a full install and added all the extras that I wanted (Thanks to you guys and your .pet and .sfs files!). Now I'd like to make a new live CD from my machine both for show-and-tell and new installs. Even with lots of searches and reading many forums, there are only vague references to this topic. A hint of where to look for some info would be much appreciated.

here you go.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29754

Hotdog

#326 Post by Hotdog »

jim3630 wrote:
Hotdog wrote:Puppy 5.2.8 is perfect for me. I did a full install and added all the extras that I wanted (Thanks to you guys and your .pet and .sfs files!). Now I'd like to make a new live CD from my machine both for show-and-tell and new installs. Even with lots of searches and reading many forums, there are only vague references to this topic. A hint of where to look for some info would be much appreciated.

here you go.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29754
Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately, I went through how to search the forums and actually searching and experimenting on my own for a few days before signing up and asking for help. Thanks anyway. I'm the new guy and now I know my place.

smokey01

#327 Post by smokey01 »

Hotdog wrote:Thanks anyway. I'm the new guy and now I know my place.
Although this remaster tutorial is for a frugal installation it's an excellent one from catdude.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 703#559703

Here is another by catdude, this time for a full installation.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 595#364595

This link may also be of assistance. I'm not sure if the boot to desktop script was fixed in 528, it wasn't in 525.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 497#518497

Please don't feel you have been put in your place if someone tells you to search for answers. Once you master searching you can solve most of your problems simply and quickly.

This is an excellent search tool for Puppy.
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Have fun, and as we say, welcome to the kennels.

Volhout

#328 Post by Volhout »

Playdays,

With update 001 and (as I read 2 posts back) minimal 5 patches from rerwin, would it be time to package the whole thing in a 529 or instant update 002 ?

I tend to get out of sync easily when I don't read the 528 threads daily....

BTW: running 528 at work and at home every day. It is a good and stable package. Only inconvenience I encounter is not in 528: double printing of Opera (10 series and 11 series). This is still not solved in 11.5 and shows in several linux distro's.

The only thing I am really missing in (all) puppy series is a presentation manager (!@#$%POWERPOINT$%^$%&^&*). Something that (at least) can show a PPT presentation, but preferably also can make one. An alternative to this could be a convertor. A tool to convert a ppt into html so the browser can show it. Not sure anything like that exists.

Thank you for the 52x series. My PC's haven't seen Microsoft since 520 except 1 (for the PPT's and some tools that don't exist for linux, like a Garmin driver for geocaching). I have tried other distro's, sometimes they loaded with apps, sometimes more eye appealing, but none of them work/install that easy on the variety of my HW (4 different PC's and 2 different laptops). It is amazing. Whatever I throw at it, it simply works. WIFI type N USB dongle ... simply works. Printer sharing via wireless network with windows ... simply works ... replace monitor (from 1024x768 to 1280x1024) simply works .... (try that with Ubuntu haha.....)

Thanks !!

Volhout

playdayz

#329 Post by playdayz »

The only thing I am really missing in (all) puppy series is a presentation manager
Volhut, Do you know of one? I know it is huge, but have you tried LibreOffice? That is the only one I know of. Here's the latest from the Lucid repo. 01micko has a getlibreoffice program I will package up in a bit.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... S_sfs4.sfs

GetLibreOffice-Lucid (01micko) -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/GetLi ... -Lucid.pet

This might help http://linuxappfinder.com/office/presentations
would it be time to package the whole thing in a 529 or instant update 002 ?
Yes. In about a week is the tentative plan--a comprehensive Instant Update 002. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure if the boot to desktop script was fixed in 528, it wasn't in 525.
smokey01 and Hotdog, Yes, Rerwin did fix it and has tested remastering in 528 and given it a thumbs up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something to test for possible inclusion in the next Instant Update.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/alsa_ ... 1.0.24.pet

Especially please test this if you can if you are having any problems with sound. We also need to test to make sure it doesn't cause problems for people who are not having problems ;-) I am running it and haven't had a problem. Install and reboot. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, if you are having problems with sound, it might be worth the trouble to try Three-Headed Dog--which is based on Lucid 5.2.8 but with 1) a newer kernel, 2.6.37.6--the same as in Slacko, and 2) upgraded multimedia by default.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest Dillo 3.0.1 small & fast web browser

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid528.pet

jim3630

#330 Post by jim3630 »

smokey01 wrote: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 703#559703

Here is another by catdude, this time for a full installation.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 595#364595

This link may also be of assistance. I'm not sure if the boot to desktop script was fixed in 528, it wasn't in 525.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 497#518497

This is an excellent search tool for Puppy.
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
smokey01 thank you for the links as they were lost in one of my upgrades. have not done a remaster yet but is on the list of things to do. your hosting site is a gold mine!

jim3630

#331 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote: Here's something to test for possible inclusion in the next Instant Update.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/alsa_ ... 1.0.24.pet

The latest Dillo 3.0.1 small & fast web browser

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid528.pet
playdayz thanks for the pets, been using dillo in 5x8 it's the fastest ever used. will test alsa_driver and report.

rerwin

#332 Post by rerwin »

smokey01 wrote: I'm not sure if the boot to desktop script was fixed in 528, it wasn't in 525.
Yes, 528 does not require any special preparation for the boot-to-desktop feature. It was recoded to avoid that.

Volhout, The remaster function is promarily for creating clean updated versions of puppy, with all the added packages for it. Remaster may or may not be accurate for added application packages, because it does not include everything an application might need. It does, however, remaster everything in the /usr directory. If you need more detail, please ask, here.
Richard

Hotdog

#333 Post by Hotdog »

Smokey01, one of the links that you gave never showed up under any permutation of searching--and it is what I needed. Thank you!

Rerwin, getting added applications into a remaster is what I want. Thanks for the comment regarding that. I'll be especially watchful now for any extra effort that it may require. Having everything work from a remastered Live CD would be great. Second best would be to have all added apps visible in the new Live CD and use a companion .iso for an install.

smokey01

#334 Post by smokey01 »

Hotdog wrote:Smokey01, one of the links that you gave never showed up under any permutation of searching--and it is what I needed. Thank you!

Rerwin, getting added applications into a remaster is what I want. Thanks for the comment regarding that. I'll be especially watchful now for any extra effort that it may require. Having everything work from a remastered Live CD would be great. Second best would be to have all added apps visible in the new Live CD and use a companion .iso for an install.
Hotdog it is possible to have a standard Lupu-528.iso then make your own private myapps.sfs file. This sfs file can be loaded at bootup and all the additional software will show up in your menus just like the default stuff.

Look here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 6bf#552668

Puppy is pretty cool.

rerwin

Feedback on alsa driver 1.0.24

#335 Post by rerwin »

Larry,
In my investigation of the alsawizard and its use of retrovol, I see that the new driver version eliminates one of two error messages retrovol issues to /tmp/xerrs.log. This message is no longer produced:
  • retrovol: control.c:400: snd_ctl_elem_read: Assertion `ctl && control && (control->id.name[0] || control->id.numid)' failed.
Yay! However, this one remains:
  • Control hw:0 open error: No such file or directory
The speaker icon still disappears from the tray. Judging from lupu 5.2.5, the speaker should remain but with a tiny red X added to indicate "muted".

Now to track down why the hw:0 open fails.
Richard

Tman

#336 Post by Tman »

I found a problem with this Puplet.

When I tried to mount a puppy ISO file by clicking on it I got an error message.
Upon further investigation, I noticed that the same thing happens for me in many modern puplets and was wondering if anyone out there knows of the solution to get puppy to mount an ISO file by clicking on it?
Attachments
mount-fail.jpg
mount fails when clicking on the ISO file
(8.62 KiB) Downloaded 1532 times

Tman

#337 Post by Tman »

runtt21 found the solution for me;

Apparently the problem is occuring because I only have 1 main partition on this computer and the ISO was on this same partition. The ISO file needs to be on a partition OTHER than /usr/mnt/home.

I don't not intend to make another partition on this hard-drive, but I copied an ISO file to a USB stick and tried mounting it from there by clicking on the file.
It work like a charm, so this problem is now solved. :)

But it would be nice if the mounting option worked on the home drive.

bigpup

#338 Post by bigpup »

Tman,

I can not duplicate your problem mounting ISO file.
I can put an ISO file anyplace and mount and open in Rox.
Sometimes Rox will error, but closing and restarting Rox corrects.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

2byte

#339 Post by 2byte »

Playdayz,

Just a heads up, the JWM / Pupsave Hot Backup incompatibility has been resolved, and everything is smooth sailing now.

BTW, I notice that glxgears is producing about a 20% better fps than 511 with my built-in Radeon 200G and Xorg-High. 8) Lucid Puppy keeps getting better and better.

playdayz

#340 Post by playdayz »

I am helping to test Slacko from now until its release. I hope you will too. Thanks.

Puppy Projects -> Slacko B5 (currently)