Lucid Puppy 5.28 X/ALSA/FLASH crash

Please post any bugs you have found
dio444

#41 Post by dio444 »

Well I gave wary5141 a spin last night, and within 2 hours I dropped it again. It seems to have similar problems to lupu528, though when X crashed (3 times in that period) it didn't drop to console shell, it dropped to console login, and I failed to login. The account credentials must be right, root:woofwoof, because supplying something different responds as invalid and that credential just sits there and never makes it to shell.

Now, I'm back in Lupu528. This is a fresh save file. So far: installed the 528-001 instant update, iron12-lucid, flash (using the included downloader), the alsa-downgrade and alsa-info, reboot, create save, load devx. Writing now, about to reboot and go into normal use pattern. I'll post any results. (I do NOT plan to use the session save 0 workaround).

Tom

PS: It's possible the connection to flash is a red herring. I am just addicted to flash video/radio for YouTube&other site politics&religion discussions, so it's literally running constantly while I'm in puppy.

PPS: The instant update installed was the one on ibiblio I d/l'd the other day. I just got yours, and have it ready to go in my pet archive if you think I should run a test with it.
Last edited by dio444 on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

dio444

#42 Post by dio444 »

Allrighty. The dreaded crash happened within about an hour. Downgraded alsa doesn't seem to have helped. Reboot was required to get X back, alsa broken exactly as before. Just in case you can see anything from the crashed version, I re-ran the alsa-info script, and attach the result.

I'm leaving this save file broken for future reference in case anyone can think of any info to glean from it. Back to the puppy that's working fine for me "MyWolfe028". If anyone wants info from it to compare I can post that too.

Tom
Attachments
alsa-info.txt.gz
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

rerwin

#43 Post by rerwin »

dio444,
I am relieved to hear that wary has the same problem. Crashing after a long period just sounds like something is running out of some kind of resource, usually memory. I think the most effective route, now, is to report the problem in the wary feedback (bugs) thread, so that Barry can get involved. I am sure he has better insight into the possibilities for resolution. He is the person to make the significant modifications to the long-term puppy.

About my latest patch posting: you could add it to your installed packages, but I doubt it would fix anything regarding the crashing.
Richard

dio444

#44 Post by dio444 »

rerwin said:
I think the most effective route, now, is to report the problem in the wary feedback (bugs) thread, so that Barry can get involved.
Ok... I have a few hours to conduct some wary tests. I wasn't particularly interested in wary, I was much more interested in lupu. But if the issue is the same (and I'm not positive it is the same, just similar), It totally makes sense to try and get closer to the source of all things puppy with it... ;)

Tom

dio444

#45 Post by dio444 »

Well, I've been using wary 5.1.4.1 for about 2 weeks now as my primary, and while it has crashed a few times in ways I can't explain, it is NOT the same. Wary has yet to eat its savefile like LuPu was reliably eating its savefile. I've had to reboot to get X back after a crash, but have yet to need to start my save file over to recover. This LuPu 5.28 crash that this post is about is definately unique to LuPu.

Tom

dio444

Answer Found!

#46 Post by dio444 »

So, I finally figured out the real problem causing all of that stuff I experienced in this thread: the HDD on this machine was failing (according to the drive's SMART info, it had 7.6 years of spin time, and was failing about 50% of all operations on the first try, though it was not obvious there was an issue because it was almost always succeeding in the first few retries so did not return a fail state to the OS), and as it's got kinda minimal RAM (256mb), the swap space on the HDD was seeing heavy use. Heavy use of the failing HDD as virtual memory is, of course, likely to generate all sorts of funny problems as occasionally something in memory gets corrupted. Since replacing the HDD about a month ago, all such symptoms disappeared.

Anyway, sorry for resurrecting this zombie thread, but I wanted to post what the actual issue was and the solution.

Tom

cthisbear

#47 Post by cthisbear »

dio444

Thanks for the problem solving mate.

Chris.

aarf

#48 Post by aarf »

Nah, i'd say not solved. Only read first and solution posts but i have posted this same x crashing in luci 004 thread . Mine is SSD and not failing. Problem only occurs in the luci and not in any of the other puppies i use.