Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 won't Play DVDs in Dell laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
Eastern Counties

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 won't Play DVDs in Dell laptop

#1 Post by Eastern Counties »

I use Lucid Puppy 528 on an ancient Toshiba laptop and on a slightly more modern Dell Dimension. The Toshiba has single CD/DVD drive; the Dell has a CD drive and a DVD recorder drive.

On the Toshiba, DVDs play automatically in Xine; on the Dell, I cannot get DVDs to play on anything. I've used Setup to select the CD & DVD drives. I also use Wary on the Dell, but it's the same story with DVDs.

Not desperately important, but just wondered why there is this difference

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Do you get a DVD drive icon on desktop when DVD is in drive?
If yes.
What happens when you click on drive icon on desktop with a DVD in drive?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

loubapache

#3 Post by loubapache »

I have a similar problem as OP when I set up for a friend an older Gateway Desktop.

The Desktop has a DVD drive and a CDRW drive. I booted Puppy with the CD in the DVD drive. Howevr, later on in installing puppy, the only way to get it work is to put the CD in the CDRW drive (to copy to the HD). Once Puppy was installed, Puppy won't recognize the DVD drive anymore. The drive icon is there but clicking on it generated some error.

I am not at the machine now but the error message was something about ISO 9600, etc. I can get the for sure message if that is useful.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

loubapache ,

Please make your own topic about your computer.
Very hard to talk about two different computers in one topic.
Problem may be similar, but hardware is not.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eastern Counties

Playing DVDs

#5 Post by Eastern Counties »

Thanks for your reply bigpup.

On the Dell desktop:
1. With Lucid 528, I do get a DVD drive icon. When I click on it, the disc spins, Xine opens, then brings up '1st message', below. When I click on 'More...', it brings up '2nd message' below.
2. With Wary513, I also get a DVD drive icon. When I click on it,the disc spins, Ogle opens, freezes for while then closes. At this point, the disc stops spinning.

John
Attachments
xine_1.png
1st message
(4.03 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
xine_2.png
2nd message
(17.88 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

By "dvds" I take your comment covers more than one. How`bout from a live run- the same?

Eastern Counties

Playing DVDs with Lucid Puppy 528

#7 Post by Eastern Counties »

Hi Semme

Thanks for your message.
How`bout from a live run- the same?
Not quite sure what you mean by a live run. I've tried with running Lucid Puppy afresh from the CD, but same results.

Data DVDs are fine - Puppy mounts the drive and files can be accessed, with the exception of photos I have backed up on DVD as jpgs - these bring up a 'No data' message.[/quote]

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Say John, were you guys talking about your Dimension here? Perhaps there's something "physically" amiss or not quite in order that's confusing Pup's hardware detection? This the original drive that came supplied with the box or an after-market? The one you used to burn these same photo dvds?

How about the video card..

Code: Select all

lspci | grep -i vga
.. have you tested it with: Quickpet > drivers? Running an updated version?

I know- so many questions....

rjbrewer

#9 Post by rjbrewer »

Try Pmount; does it show audio or video_ts files?

Try Mplayer-open DVD.

What kind of DVDs are these?

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Eastern Counties

#10 Post by Eastern Counties »

Again thanks to both of you for your help.

OK, so Semme,
Say John, were you guys talking about your Dimension here? Perhaps there's something "physically" amiss or not quite in order that's confusing Pup's hardware detection?
Yes, well spotted. I'd forgotten all about that (it was 2 years ago)! It was only when the Toshiba laptop started playing DVDs with Lucid that I tried again with Lucid on the Dell. I didn't ever take the case off and swap the plugs, but will try over the weekend.
This the original drive that came supplied with the box or an after-market? The one you used to burn these same photo dvds?
No, I added the DVD drive myself (could be the problem), but it is the one that I used to burn the photos to DVD.
How about the video card..
When I ran your code I got:
# lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
.. have you tested it with: Quickpet > drivers? Running an updated version?
I'm using Wary at the moment so no Quickpet. But tried Video Upgrade Wizard which told me no need to upgrade.

And rjbrewer ...
Try Pmount; does it show audio or video_ts files?
Yes, it does mount and show audio_ts and video_ts directories. The video_ts directory contains a load of .vob files. Clicking on any of them opens MPlayer, but nothing appears in the video screen window.
Try Mplayer-open DVD.
As above.

The DVDs are commercially produced films and DVDs I have created in Pburn (using this DVD drive)..

I think I need to check the setup of the drives.

Thank you both again

John

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Hi John, so you say you added the dvd drive yourself.... gets me thinking about r_hughes reply..

What's Pup call this dvd drive- before if you haven't swapped connections, after if you have?

Eastern Counties

#12 Post by Eastern Counties »

Hi Semme

Yes, all sorted now. I took both the CD and DVD-RW drives out (pretty easy on a Dell Dimension) and swapped the cable plugs and power feeds from one to the other. There is a single flat cable from the motherboard which piggy-backs from one drive to the other. I was surprised that the cable was conveniently stamped 'DRIVE 0' and 'DRIVE 1'. Previously, the DVD drive was on sr1 (and was recognised by Puppy as such) now it is on sr0 (and again recognised by Puppy as such).

The jumpers were set to 'Master' on the CD and 'Slave' on the DVD, so I changed them both to 'Cable Select'.

Now, with a DVD in the drive, clicking on the sr0 icon starts Ogle in Wary, or Xine in Lucid, and in both cases, the DVDs play perfectly. Interestlingly even the jpg photo files open correctly now.

So thanks to eveybody for their help. I'll contact r_hughes and thank him too.

John

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

John- GREAT! Great to hear.. Sometimes that xtra "nudge" is all it takes.

Incase it wasn't obvious- your response this morning is a pleasing one.