Customisation of SCIM-m17n - keyboard mapping

Using applications, configuring, problems
Abdurazak

Customisation of SCIM-m17n - keyboard mapping

#1 Post by Abdurazak »

In SCIM-m17n, we are forced to use the built in key map which is difficult to follow by those who are used to a different key map. This is not a problem in Google transliteration, because there is provision to customise key mapping. Is there such a facility in SCIM or Puppy Linux ?

Abdurazak

Customisation of SCIM-m17n [solved]

#2 Post by Abdurazak »

Veejay in his posting http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 66&t=63263 gives a method for customisation which seems similar to Google's method and is briefly described below.

1. Create the .mim file.
Here is a tutorial for creating .mim file http://www.m17n.org/common/m17n-docs-en ... orial.html. It can also be created by editing an existing file. This mim file is similar to Google's Scheme file

2. Install the following pets
scim-1.4.9-i486.pet
scim-bridge-0.4.16.-i486.pet
scim-tables-0.59-i486.pet (Optional)
scim-m17n-0.2.3-i486.pet
m17n-db-1.5.5-i486.pet
m17n-lib-1.5.5-i486.pet

3. copy the mim filt to /usr/share/m17n

4. Restart X. The method is ready.

The problem is solved

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

What is SCIM? I think I've seen it before, but I wasn't paying attention. :oops:

veejay

#4 Post by veejay »

Hai Flash,

In simply saying, SCIM is a interface for typing various languages with various type of keyboard mapping.

Look: http://www.scim-im.org/about/why_scima

thanks & regards
Veejay

Abdurazak

A short description of SCIM

#5 Post by Abdurazak »

I am also in search of a good tutorial on SCIM. Unfortunately, I have not found it yet. However what ever little I know is given below.

SCIM stands for Smart Common Input Method. It is used in Linux and some other operating systems to simplify the method of using languages other than English. The usual QWERTY keyboard is not sufficient to contain all the characters in many languages. In that case more that one key will have to be used for getting a single character. SCIM enables us to specify the desired sequence of keys for the characters in the language. In key sequence, a key in the QWERTY keyboard, is denoted by the corresponding type face. The correspondence between key sequence and the character is given in a table called SCIM table. SCIM tables have already been made for many languages and these are installed along with SCIM. In puppy, SCIM requires scim-1.4.9-i486.pet, scim-bridge-0.4.16.-i486.pet and scim-tables-0.5.9-i486.pet. After installing these, open the application such as Abiword and press Control and space. SCIM icon appears at the bottom right corner from which choose the language and start typing in that language. To stop SCIM press Control and space again.

Abdurazak

#6 Post by Abdurazak »

A CUSTOMISABLE INPUT METHOD FOR MALAYALAM

Malayalam is the language of the Indian state of Kerala. To use the method, SCIM and M17n must be installed. This method has been tested in in Puppy 5.28 using Unicode Malayalam font Rachana.ttf down loaded from http://sites.google.com/site/fontpacksi ... edirects=0 to the directory /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF.

Now open NicoEdit text editor (menu>document>NicoEdit text editor) and copy the portion marked in red below to the blank file opened and save it as ml_maleng_dt.mim in /usr/share/m17n/ and restart X.

(input-method ml maleng_dt) (description (_ "Malayalam Direct Typing"))
(title "maleng_dt") (map

(letters
("k" "ക") ("kh" "ഖ") ("g" "ഗ") ("gh" "ഘ") ("ng" "ങ")
("ch" "ച") ("chh" "ഛ") ("j" "ജ") ("jh" "

Abdurazak

Customisation of Hindi keyboard

#7 Post by Abdurazak »

Here is a mim file for Hindi. Save the red portion to a text file called hi-maleng-dt.mim and place it in usr/share/m17n/ and ua Unicode hindi font in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/. Restart X and the input method is available under Hindi as hi-maleng-dt.mim. For details see the Malayalam input method above.

(input-method hi maleng_dt) (description (_ "Hindi Direct Typing"))
(title "Hindi_dt") (map

(letters
("k" "क") ("kh" "ख") ("g" "ग") ("gh" "घ") ("ng" "ङ")
("ch" "च") ("chh" "छ") ("j" "ज") ("jh" "

Abdurazak

Customisation of Tamil keyboard

#8 Post by Abdurazak »

Here is a mim file for Tamil. Save the red portion to a text file called ta-maleng-dt.mim and place it in usr/share/m17n/ and a Unicode Tamil font in /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/. Restart X and the input method is available under Tamil as ta-maleng-dt. For details see the Malayalam input method above.

(input-method ta maleng_dt) (description (_ "Tamil Direct Typing"))
(title "maleng_dt") (map

(letters
("k" "க") ("ng" "ங") ("ch" "ச") ("j" "ஜ") ("nh" "ஞ") ("nj" "ஞ