Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1001 Post by pemasu »

Beem. By all means, do report your progress, failures, trials, I am sure many follow it.
I just meant what I said, my own competence is not adequate, but it does not disturb me or this thread when you report.
And you are right, stu90`s is good advicer in bluetooth connection problems.
Please, continue to ask and report. Many will benefit this now and later....

stu90

#1002 Post by stu90 »

beem. Mount info is in my post on last page about half way down. Posting from my phone so cant cut and paste rite right now.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1003 Post by Béèm »

stu90 wrote:beem. Mount info is in my post on last page about half way down. Posting from my phone so cant cut and paste rite right now.
Thank you, stu90
I did misinterpret the mount issue.

It's working now and I have my phones directory hierarchy in /root/bluetooth.

So conclusion so far.
In JWM these function push/pull work.
Apparently in E17 there is a problem.

Next challenge is to use DUN and connect a comm port to my Phone Explorer program, which is running in Wine.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#1004 Post by pemasu »

Beem, could you put together the procedures you did to get it working.
Simple, tight description is ok.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1005 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Beem, could you put together the procedures you did to get it working.
Simple, tight description is ok.
Well in fact I followed what stu90 did, but I will make something up in one document.
However the pin-code part is still fuzzy.
Sometimes I was offered to enter a pin and sometimes I had to use the one of the phone.
So I'll look into this to be sure I have a fool proof thing to write.

More good news.

I went to the forum for the my phone explorer software.
I found the procedure to bind the rfcomm to the wine com1.
So my software in wine connects to the phone now and I can use it in wine instead of Windows.

Also would you have an explanation that this bluetooth didn't work in E17
Time savers:

stu90

#1006 Post by stu90 »

Hi Béèm,
Glad you managed to get it working 8) Here is a general guide for setting up bluetooth.

regarding pin - on my phone (Nokia N95) in the bluetooth settings there is a settings menu for 'my phones visibility' containing three options ( i presume bluetooth settings on phones are much the same across different phones?):

Show to all: (means the phone is visible to every one like a wifi hotspot)
Define period: (means the phone is visible only for a defined period of time)
Hidden: (means no one can see your bluetooth that includes your computer if you haven't set up a bluetooth connection)

The best setting in my opinion to use here for establishing a bluetooth connection with your computer is Define period: then set the defined period of visibility to 5 minutes (shuld be long enough to set up the bluetooth connection) - after the 5 minutes your phone will switch back to being hidden meaning other in the local vicinity can't see your phone.

Note: If after the 5 minutes Defined period your phone switches back to Hidden and you haven't yet set up a bluetooth connection your computer will no longer be able to see the phone, if your computer cant see the phone you wont be able to set up a bluetooth connection - so you will need to set the Defined period again.

Now run through the bluetooth connection gui on the PC (right click on the bluetooth tray icons - 'set up new device') select your phone in the device window and click Forward - you should now be prompted with a pin on your PC screen and a Pin entry on your phone - enter the Pin number you see on your PC screen into the phone - once this is done go back to your phones bluetooth options and look for paired device
you should see your PC's name, you want to set this as an Authorized device
this is so you dont have to set up a new bluetooth connection or agree to accept file transfers and the like each time you connect your phone via bluetooth to your PC.

Part 2 to come - mounting phone as a drive.

Béèm

#1007 Post by Béèm »

Thank you stu90.
That's pretty much how I do it in JWM. (E17 no-go :( )
But I had two cases for the pin-code.
1° I am proposed a pin xxxxxx to enter when going to the phone. The same pin as in fluppy 13 btw.
2° I am proposed to enter the pin in the dialogue. in that case I have to enter the one of the phone when powering up.

As I tried different things (finding the PC device from the phone or finding the device from the PC) I don't remember anymore in which case I had 1° or 2°.

So I'll go over the possibilities again.
Time savers:

stu90

#1008 Post by stu90 »

A bit of D-lite minimalist tweaking of Exprimo 8)
Full res:
http://i.imgur.com/Pa3vI.png

pemasu

#1009 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. Dpups has really shown their flexibility for different wm`s and outlooks, lol.
Looks good.
Hmmm, we should produce one click pet installations for various desktop, app, wm`s.
Stu90`s D-lite look, Next WM look etc....
Just brainstorming. Nothing serious.

DaveS

#1010 Post by DaveS »

Will attempt a one click for fbpanel/openbox if you want..............
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#1011 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Your pets which I uploaded after little tweaking to shutdown fbpanel correctly, they are already ready packages. Fine pieces as pets already.

nancy reagan

My Exprimo does not connect on my other computer

#1012 Post by nancy reagan »

When I tried my Exprimo, with that pupsave, I could not connect to the internet.

Tried all kinds of setups network (says "I see a live network" and yet ...) including Frisbee.

MoebusNet

#1013 Post by MoebusNet »

Just wanted to chime in with great work on Dpup. I'm running 5.X.7 for uniprocessor systems from a frugal install to USB flash drive. Everything seems to be working so far except my CF card reader (worry about that when it becomes a release). Frisbee found & connected to my wireless router flawlessly. Only glitch so far was a trackpad issue (move finger left, cursor goes left then jumps right) which seems to have cleared up after first shutdown & save. Looking forward to this one! Thanks for the work on this one.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

backi

#1014 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Just a question about another topic.
Tried your LMMS 0.4.10 pet .....so far so good ...(don`t want to complain about something,i appreciate your hard work.) but i found one instrument plugin was missing , the SF2 player .
What`s the reason for this ?

pemasu

#1015 Post by pemasu »

Backi. I have no idea. It was my first compile of LMMS. When I compile it again, I check the ./configure etc...options.
I just played with it and checked that it seemed to work. I am no musician. So I need feedback from real users.
Your post will be recorded as wishlist to the next compile.

pemasu

#1016 Post by pemasu »

MoebusNet. I have kernel module support for cf card readers and also acer aspire one needed keucr module for ene card reader.
But you need to install sg3-utils, at least to have the cf card reader available. I think. I found one a little old info. I have no experience of cf card readers. I have used SD cards about 7 years now.

http://vic.gedris.org/linux-UsbMassStorage/

MoebusNet

#1017 Post by MoebusNet »

@pemasu

My apologies, I meant to say SD-card reader. My D255-2301 has built-in:

"Multi-in-one card reader

Supports optional MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital (SD) card"

according to the specs I can find on it.This is what I was referring to.

Do I still need the sg3-utils for this, or just the keucr?
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

pemasu

#1018 Post by pemasu »

Nope. My advice was meant for troublesome cf card readers. For SD ene card reader I have keucr module surely compiled. If your SD card reader is not recognized, I dont know straight what to do. Have you checked from the net, what kernel driver module is needed, is it keucr or something else.

Diamond

#1019 Post by Diamond »

pemasu wrote:I had same problem with my ATI HD 5650. You might have better chance by installing proprietary ATI fglrx driver.
Hi Pemasu!
Just to let you know,keyboard layot is working with official ATI drivers on Lucid 5.28. There is,of course some problems because layot is not showing in taskbar,but I can add new languages (there is no "error") and I can change languages,but I have some problems with a few characters,but I will manage it :)
Any chance that keyboard layot will be fixed in next edition of Dpup Exprimo ? Thank you!

pemasu

#1020 Post by pemasu »

Diamond. It sounds that my hunch was right. I am willing to create real guided how to compile latest ATI proprietary driver yourself. It really is not that difficult.
That guide would be useful for others also. In fact, the howto has been made before several times in several threads. But...I can made it as clear as possible.
For me...sorry. I just dont have time or motivation to create pet of latest ATI. I am not sure how long I will stay with this kernel. I dont bother making graphics drivers. I have already changed my kernel 5 times and I have made 30 kernel compiles which I have uploaded. I use my energy to that kind basic work.
Users...in my opinion...just need to learn to compile the graphics driver themselves.

I have stated my opinion several times....and I still stick on it. Lol.
It is just that I have priorities what I do and how I use my time with Puppies.
There are two apps, I wont compile and made pet anymore easily.
Browsers and graphics drivers. Browsers update so often nowadays. Graphics drivers are difficult to pet and they update also often.

If somebody show me the way how to grap all installed stuff after graphics compile and install, I will reconsider my opinion.