Fatdog64-520 Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#101 Post by kirk »

Is it necessary in Puppy to load MP3 functionality?
No, it's included.

Jim1911, is correct. I uploaded a pet package for BibleTime-2.8.1, It has a couple of bug fixes patched in. It requires the qt4, clucene, and sword packages installed. Please note the the qt4 package requires a reboot. Jim and Joe reported 'Install Works' wasn't downloading. That turned out to be a problem with the QT4 packages. I had some files in the qt4-dev package that should have been in the regular qt4 pet. I've re-uploaded the qt4 pets.

kirk

#102 Post by kirk »

jg.fw.tx ,

Thanks. Frugal (coexist) hard drive installs are recommended, full hard drive installs are not though. I would encourage you, or anyone else, to read the FAQs. Lots of helpful stuff in there.
How can I auto mount sdb1
You can open a terminal and type this:

Code: Select all

# mkdir /mnt/sdb1
# echo "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Note that to paste stuff into the terminal you use the Shift - Insert keys.

jg.fw.tx

Fatdog64 packages

#103 Post by jg.fw.tx »

please, Kirk, that was unnecessary chastisement - i HAVE read the FAQs and docs and most everything else concerning Puppy but particularly Fatdog64, thanks. before and after i've d/l-ed and/or booted'em. i'm not like some of my brethren in bits who never/rarely RTFM, although in accordance with Einstein's "why should i remember my own phone number when i never call myself?" question, i still may forget or miss things.

right now i'm missing how to get VirtualBox and LibreOffice loaded. there's no FAQ for that.

VirtualBox seems to have disappeared from the downloads and LibreOffice won't load because it says sfs 3 is required and the package is sfs 4. VirtualBox gave me the same error when i did d/l it earlier, but that d/l was lost in a failure to save to CD glitch. i even tried one LIghthouse64 version but it too failed to install. i've also tried moving the d/l-ed files out of the spot folders as was suggested elsewhere but to no avail. plus more i don't remember...

all i really need is VirtualBox up on a 64 bit Fatdog and then i can load up Win 8 for testing, along with a few other Windows and Linux distros for testing or servers or some other reason.

what's appealing about Fatdog is more than it's so fast in RAM or got a minimal footprint, it's that the 64 bit kernel uses all my RAM and processors, plus it's got all the drivers i need for my hardware (see prior post). and to be a VirtualBox host i need a 64 bit OS able to utilize the Intel VT-d capabilities and all the RAM, plus other devices, etc., to share those resources with any 64 or 32 bit guests - i can't run a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit Puppy VirtualBox host.

the alternative is for me to pull back, breath pure oxygen, delve deeply into the depths of kernels and compiling and sources to roll my own distro using T2 or Arch or even Tiny Core, but i'd rather put my time into doing what i want to do a couple of layers higher up the coding complexity chain. Assembly was fun when i had to write a compiler or PDP8s were big computers, but nowadays it's like "why type on a KB when there's voice dictation and gesture control?" or "why try to build a better mouse (trap)?" when effective tools already exist. like Fatdog64.

which brings me back to getting VirtualBox running on Fatdog64.

so, what can you (or anyone) suggest to make that happen, please?

jon

p.s. i'm in Fort Worth, TX, UTC-5, but i'm up all hours.

kirk

#104 Post by kirk »

please, Kirk, that was unnecessary chastisement
I'm sorry, it wasn't meant that way. Most new users just don't notice the FAQs.
LibreOffice won't load because it says sfs 3 is required and the package is sfs 4.
There's a fix for that on page three of this thread or better yet just use the BootManager. This will be fixed in 521, coming soon.

Caneri

#105 Post by Caneri »

@jg.fw.tx ,

Please be kind.

There is no need to use bold fonts as it looks like you are screaming at kirk.

I will ask Murga to stop you if you continue to post in bold type.
Be kind-rewind
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Jim1911

#106 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:
No, it's included.

Jim1911, is correct. I uploaded a pet package for BibleTime-2.8.1, It has a couple of bug fixes patched in. It requires the qt4, clucene, and sword packages installed. Please note the the qt4 package requires a reboot. Jim and Joe reported 'Install Works' wasn't downloading. That turned out to be a problem with the QT4 packages. I had some files in the qt4-dev package that should have been in the regular qt4 pet. I've re-uploaded the qt4 pets.
Thanks, your fix works great. :D

joe0855

#107 Post by joe0855 »

Jim1911 wrote:
kirk wrote:
No, it's included.

Thanks, your fix works great. :D
Sorry to be the spoiler Kirk, but after removing and re-installing the latest qt4 (rebooted), sword, clucene, and Bibletime, still nogo on being able to download via 'Install Works' feature. Again, while I have the modules I need (downloaded manually), just thinking about someone else who may need this feature. Thanks!

jg.fw.tx - Please lighten up. Kirk was just trying to help. Take care.

kirk

#108 Post by kirk »

Yep, your right Joe. I messed up the qt4 package again. It's fixed now and re-uploaded. Give it a try.

Just a misunderstanding with Jon, It's all good.

joe0855

#109 Post by joe0855 »

kirk wrote:Yep, your right Joe. I messed up the qt4 package again. It's fixed now and re-uploaded. Give it a try.
You're a good man Kirk. Re-loaded qt4, Bibletime is fully operational in Fatdog64.

Cheers,
Joe

entropyfoe

#110 Post by entropyfoe »

kirk-

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try that and reboot.

I rally like the frugal idea.
It is so easy to make backups of the fd64-520.sfs, and with the CD one can always revert to a known good configuration.

-Jay

entropyfoe

still no auto mount

#111 Post by entropyfoe »

kirk

sdb1 existed already in /mnt

so i copied your echo and pasted it in the terminal

a reboot still has non-mounted sdb1.

What am missing?

Thanks for your help.

-Jay

jg.fw.tx

uh...? oh...

#112 Post by jg.fw.tx »

Caneri wrote:@jg.fw.tx ,

Please be kind.

There is no need to use bold fonts as it looks like you are screaming at kirk.

I will ask Murga to stop you if you continue to post in bold type.
Be kind-rewind
Eric
i don't know what you are talking about, Eric, i wrote in the default font with a "large" font size (it says size=18) and that is NOT screaming in any kind of parlance i know of online.

i am quite aghast at the misrecognition of attempted humor here, @joe0855 and @Caneri, but @frankly it doesn't matter. what matters are answers. from a perhaps verbose post directed @kirk, only HE gave me one.

kirk wrote: Quote:
please, Kirk, that was unnecessary chastisement

I'm sorry, it wasn't meant that way. Most new users just don't notice the FAQs.
my humor is sometimes too dry for a few people, i know. no need to apologize, i understand users, new or used. i guess that's why i often prefer computers to people, even though they don't chuckle at puns. yet.
kirk wrote: Quote:
LibreOffice won't load because it says sfs 3 is required and the package is sfs 4.

There's a fix for that on page three of this thread or better yet just use the BootManager. This will be fixed in 521, coming soon.
BootManager did not work before - it does not find or see the VirtualBox package, the 2 i d/l-ed, anyway. even moving them out of the spot folder. BootManager did see a LibreOffice i d/l-ed, but tossed the sfs error at me.

as for "page 3", on my widescreen i have 7 full pages and 1 partial page of this thread, arranged newest to oldest, and even going backwards i cannot find a fix for the problem. perhaps i am missing something...? wait, one more rewind to be kind and i see an sfs-load-fix.pet. is that it?

i might not have to just wait for 521, lemme reboot out of Puppy into Fatdog64 and try...

appreciate the answer, i'll give'er all i've got, cap'n. regards, jon

---------------

There are none so blind as those who choose what they want to see.
Ancient Optometrist saying

kirk

#113 Post by kirk »

a reboot still has non-mounted sdb1.
Click on /etc/rc.d/rc.local. It should look like this:

#this file called from rc.sysinit
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
#
# If you need to change the scaling governor from the default "ondemand" uncomment le lines below
#modeprobe cpufreq_performance
#ONLINECPUS=$(cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/online | sed "s/-/ /")
#CPUPATH=/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu
#for cpu in $(seq $ONLINECPUS); do
#    CPUFREQ=${CPUPATH}${cpu}/cpufreq
#    if [ -d $CPUFREQ ]; then
#        echo "performance" > $CPUFREQ/scaling_governor
#    fi
#done

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
The last line is the important one. Also make sure the folder /mnt/sdb1 exists.

gcmartin

#114 Post by gcmartin »

FATDOG Development ... Thanks for the MP3 acknowledgement.

Did you see @Shinobar's post re: FATDOG sfs_load?

I am wondering if adding his Pesonalize Settings to the Menu>Setup would have a positive or negative impact in FATDOG?

Hope this helps

gcmartin

#115 Post by gcmartin »

No offense to anyone here with this offer.

@JamesBond helped me with an understanding of the steps REQUIRED to set up a VirtualBox on FATDOG several months ago.
I also understand the request being made here in this thread for VirtualBox guidance.
I also understand that when VirtualBox installs, it becomes one of subsystems similar as is CUPS or SAMBA or etc.

Question
Would it be appropriate to ask that someone start a new thread titled VirtualBOX discussion for the 64bit kernels that are now present in Puppyland?

I, for one, would also welcome an OTB VirtualBox (VB) solution that would use Puppy as a Host to exploit my 64bit systems and its RAM. I would consider this a new thread and a separate thread because of the additional elements that are unique in its use in a 64bit host.

In that forum thread we could discuss Host setup, Host assist, VM setup, VM assists, and specifically address the differing incarnations of Puppy Linux, (Live media-RAM based, Frugal based), Win8, Win7-Vista, XP, and other virtual machines that would run via the 64bit Fatdog/LightHouse64 Host(s). This has particular basis as the thread would certainly help in guiding and understanding some of the peculiarities within the host such that successful operations of the virtual machines, the network(s), and the internal operations of the peripherals that the individual virtual machines would see and attempt usage as they run under the auspices of the 64bit host.

The thread would allow everyone to contribute along the lines of VM Host and allow concentration(s) on the virtual machines that pose quirks when running in a VM host environment. Many of these things do not surface in the "normal non-VM" use.

Hope this helps. I don't feel that I have the skill level to start this AND IF IT IS STARTED, it WILL NEED THE ASSISTANCE of the 64bit Distro developers. The reasons for this need is obvious: Their distros will be host for the VM subsystems that will be added.

Lastly, before even going further, I have already reported to Kirk that there are remaining problems in the "hostname" implementation that SHOULD be fixed should progress with a thread like this move forward. This problem does NOT exist in the LH64 PUP implementation. This most certainly will need to be addressed at some point if for no other reason than the fact that using a VB host subsystem will allow any user to add multiple virtual machines to the LANs such that a means of being able to assign meaningful names to the virtual FATDOGs that may come into play will become even more necessary. Better to fix the problem now, than wait, I feel.

I am on record as highlighting the Great work of Kirk and Jamesbond on the product. I have been a user for quite a while. I believe that this continues to be a stellar within the Puppy Linux community And I again, applaud the work of everyone who has contributed items which have made this a great-great OS for our use.

Hope this help

Jim1911

#116 Post by Jim1911 »

Great! I for one would like to learn how to use virtual box.

jg.fw.tx

VirtualBox et al...

#117 Post by jg.fw.tx »

@gcmartin
Question
Would it be appropriate to ask that someone start a new thread titled VirtualBOX discussion for the 64bit kernels that are now present in Puppyland?
great idea, and yes, i'd be glad to contribute whatever tidbits i can glean from using any 64 bit Puppy in any host and guest environments. not that i'm by any standard an expert, more a lazy user. since i'm lazy i'm always trying to find the easiest, cheapest, fastest, least complicated way to do something.

while my own interests in VirtualBox are aimed at 64 bit because it's the only platform that offers effective and full use of all the base computer hardware, more than 3 Gb of RAM, and 64 or 32 bit guests, i realize there's lots of 32 bit users who could benefit from VirtualBox. there's a lot of crossover commonality.

but on the subject of threads - and everybody should be aware i'm a newcomer to the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum and its established protocols - i can see distinct advantages in forming a new "Advanced Topic" that addresses 64 bit things (as opposed to Puppy's de facto 32 bit).

regardless of the possible preponderance 32 bit machines and OSs in the wild, the industry trend toward 64 bit was irreversibly established some years ago. sometimes backward compatibility is overemphasized - but i digress... 64 bit is here to stay. yea, even though only 3/8 of my machines here are 64 bit they're my main ones.

so a 64 bit VirtualBox thread is one thing, but a 64 bit (Puppy Linux) thread would be broader and could include a lot more. that's my 2 devalued American cents.

regards, jon

jg.fw.tx

md5 sum

#118 Post by jg.fw.tx »

i was loading LibreOfffice - thanks, kirk, the pet worked - and tried to double check the md5 checksum against the downloaded .sfs file, but couldn't find any app to do that in Fatdog64. am i missing something...?

anyway, it did install fine anyway but then protested strongly there wasn't any JRE loaded. uhm. more dependencies...

the only JRE i could find was in Fatdog64's ibiblio index, but it's an .sfs. i'm wondering how fast i'm going to reach the 5 .sfs limt...

nothing is showing up in package manager, so i'm going to reboot and see if they pop up.

regards, jon

gcmartin

Re: md5 sum

#119 Post by gcmartin »

jg.fw.tx wrote: ... find any app to do that in Fatdog64....
In a terminal window, Try

md5sum fn.sfs   <=== The name of the d/l
Hope this helps

WillM

#120 Post by WillM »

This will check md5sum. Can also be added to right click menu.
Fixed the directory structure.
Attachments
ghasher-1.2.1-x86_64.pet
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Last edited by WillM on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 17:34, edited 2 times in total.