How to add usr_more.sfs to multisession Puppy?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
mn

How to add usr_more.sfs to multisession Puppy?

#1 Post by mn »

Hi,

I'm new to puppy and have not used Linux for years (Since REDHAT 6) I'm wanting to fatten up my Puppy which runs from a multisession CD/DVD

I downloaded the usr_more.sfs and put it where the pup_201.sfs is...

I have since rebooted...

Nothing appears to have changed...

Many programs I download with the puppy package manager do not work...

I just dont know wtf I'm doing wrong??? lol...

FYI my machine is more then capable of running puppy - 3.0ghz P4 Northbridge running @ 3.30GHz, 512mb ddr 400 running @ 440mhz, Geforce FX6600GT running @ 561MHz/1.02GHz

All advice would be much apprieciated... I tried loading the chat up but that dident work either... :(

Regards,

MN

mn

HELP

#2 Post by mn »

Can someone PLEASE help... I'm wanting to sort this out but I CANT GET SOD-ALL to work??? I downloaded the user_more-extensionmanager.pup and I dont mean to act really god damn thick because I work in IT but I cant get the ?@?~'/#/[ thing to install/work either!

I'm getting soooo angry I'VE SPENT DAYS ON THIS and I cant put usr_more in root as even though I have 349mb free mem and its only 215mb big It says no more space left...

Everyone is busy getting a great PUPPY experiance and I cant get much more then the web to work, my soundcard doesent even want to sork, neither of them (onboard or soundblaster)

Someonte please help I've scoured these forums and the web but NO ONE HAS THESE PROBLEMS????

Thanks for any help in advance...

MN

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

If you're running entirely from RAM with no swap on the hard drive, my guess it you don't have enough memory. Puppy seems to need quite a bit more RAM than the numbers would suggest.

I'm no expert, but I suspect you ought to make a new iso, which involves mounting the iso and making the changes you want, then burning it to a new CD or DVD.

I'm trying to do just that right now, to replace the vmlinuz in Puppy 2.01 with vmlinuz with highmem; so far without success.
Last edited by Flash on Mon 03 Jul 2006, 14:49, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

raffy

So many things went wrong

#4 Post by raffy »

You're on candid camera: :)

Am sorry that so many things seem to have worked against you:

1. Here's how multisession works as written by Barry: http://www.puppyos.com/multi-puppy.htm

2. New software and new hardware - although Puppy2.01 has corrected bugs, its use in very new hardware may still have problems. Puppy starters usually get Puppy into older hardware first. And as to software, the more stable ones are of course the older versions. Try version 1.08r1 or 1.09 first. (But it's likely the 1.0x versions wont work if your machine is multithreading...)

3. Packages to go with Puppy2 and later should be sourced from Barry's official repositories for Puppy. See http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm

4. Using uncompressed files - While you can get carried away using many uncompressed files in multisession CD via package installation, they can eat up memory quickly (files get loaded to memory at boot-up). So get experience in remastering your own ISO first before you try loading so much programs in the multisession CD. (Remastering compresses all the files.) Or simply add more RAM to your machine.

5. Once you use the Puppy CD as multisession, you can't put usr_more.sfs in the hard disk and expect Puppy to get it from the hard disk. The hard disk wil be ignored if the CD is already working as multisession (i.e., if the CD has been saved into in the past).

And please take your time. :) After all, you said that you've been away from Linux for a long time. Puppy can promise you lots of time saving in the future, and the only investment you have to make is patience.

Cheers!

Edit: And this is the IRC link (available from Barry's home page as well as from the Puppy2 welcome page): http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxIRC

mn

Thanks...

#5 Post by mn »

8) Thanks for your help...

I'm going to follow your advice... unfortunately I do have multithreading so I'm going to stick with the 2.01 version. I intend to run it on much lower powered systems, I just want it to be compatible as this is my main home system.

I am greatly impressed with the speed of PUPPY and that, coupled with the multisession working, is why I am soo interested in using it.

I think I I have been just more frustrated as I am someone that doesnt like to give up until Ive solved something and kept having to as the sun kept coming up outside LOL as I then realised I'd been up all night LOL!

If I was to install it to my 1GB usb stick and then update as required, to customise, and then burn a multisession, would this be a better, less memory intensive task? How do I then mount .sfs files?

How can I modify existing .iso files? As I can only seem to mount them in windows as read only devices? Just because I wish to retain the bootability of the disk...

Many thanks,

MN :)

raffy

More ?

#6 Post by raffy »

install it to my 1GB usb stick and then update as required, to customise, and then burn a multisession, would this be a better, less memory intensive task?
- Yes, right.

As to modifying an ISO to add sfs package, try magic iso (shareware) in Windows. Remember to use SAVE (not SAVE AS), to preserve its bootability.

Where to put sfs in multisession is not too clear to me, though. Barry has given advice about that somewhere...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Mark and Jesse, I am much happy to report success at replacing vmlinuz (the kernel) in Puppy 2.01 with highmem-vmlinuz. The way I did it might also work for mn -- or anyone else -- to add stuff to his iso.

Since no matter what I tried I couldn't find a way to use a loopback device to mount the iso, with or without the losetup command; I had to find another way.

Here's what worked: I used burniso2cd in Puppy to burn a CD-RW of the Puppy 2.01 iso, then mounted the CD-RW. That got me access to the files in the iso. I then copied (dragged) all those files except vmlinuz to a project folder I had created in /tmp, named "Puppy-201-highmem." Then I added the highmem-vmlinuz file to the folder, and used mkisofs to create a new iso, which I burned to a DVD. (I should mention that the first time mkisofs tried to make the iso it failed, giving an error message something like "there was not enough room on the device" even though ROX said the /tmp directory was 144 MB at the time and "free" reported over 300 MB unused. After I deleted the original puppy-201-seamonkey.iso file from /tmp to make more room, mkisofs made the new iso without complaint.)

Leaving this new DVD in the drive, I shut down, which saved all my old settings and email to the new DVD. It even saved programs I had added, Skype and Realplayer.

Now Puppy can see all 2,048 MB of the RAM in my computer. :D
Last edited by Flash on Mon 03 Jul 2006, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

mn

Cheers...

#8 Post by mn »

Cheers for the help and ideas, I'm gonna set about modding an iso!

For some reason I'm still having issues left right and center :?
I cant get a successful install to the USB stick... :cry: It Complains about a missing path or something and when I reboot it fails!
So I tried different formats, with and without a MBR and all attempts failed...
I then tried to use the USB as a swap partition (is this possible?) and I formatted it with fcdisk but that is not enough it seems??? How do I mount a swap partition like this??? its only temp so that I can compile my full puppy DVD!

Also can I remove un-needed apps easily?

Sorry for all this, I have read the forums and searched in google first but with no luck...

Many thanks,

MN 8)

Jesse

#9 Post by Jesse »

Go Go Flash, its excellent to hear that you've got it sorted!
Other distros out there have problems mounting loops on unionfs systems, and me too if I use the /tmp directory, but OK if I do it on a hard disk /dev/hdc7 !

Hi Mn,
Can you post the exact phrase that is printed out?
I realise this may be tricky, considering that boot fails, have you got a digital camera to take a snapshot, so you can post us the jpeg?

Jesse

mn

:evil:

#10 Post by mn »

:evil:

I'm not happy LOL...

Ok I put the usr_more.sfs in the root of the CD .iso and burnt my like 10th CD... and yet nothing... the instructions say this should mount the usr_more file automatically?

I'm getting sooooo depressed, lol, I cant seem to get even the simplest things to work??? I'm sorry if I am frustrating anybody with all the questions...

As for the flash drive, I'll take some pics soon, just dont have time atm after spending ages on it again... Its upsetting, I have some real big possible appications for puppy. If I can set up up right and it trials out ok I'll go further as to editing it and adding 1-2 more v.smal and simple custom apps I need.

I want puppy for the multisession ability, and its fast use in old computers, which will be of great use in my new business, if and when it takes off.

I want to be able to remove un-neccersary packages and add quite a few from the availiable ones, but it needs to be able to still work on less capable machines. At the moment I cant get even induvidually downloaded programs to function??? I'm dreading having to go through all these problems again when I do a Hard drive install on a PC when it comes in a couple of months

Again you help is very much apprieciated...

MN :roll:

mn

#11 Post by mn »

Ok I'm losing faith in this...

Any chance of someone trying to do what I am and giving me a step by step run through for installing an sfs to a cd and then also the automatic package downloader and the flash disk install?

I know its a lot but I HAVE gone through the slightly vague instructions on the forums and nothing is seeming to work for me...

If all else fails, anyone willing to make a base iso for me??? LOL

Cheers,

MN

raffy

Vague?

#12 Post by raffy »

I want puppy for the multisession ability, and its fast use in old computers, which will be of great use in my new business, if and when it takes off.

I want to be able to remove un-necessary packages and add quite a few from the available ones, but it needs to be able to still work on less capable machines.
Maybe what is vague is the connection between what you are trying to do now (add usr_more.sfs to ISO) and your goal, which is to use old PCs. :D

If you will eventually use old PCs, then you should do most things on the hard disk drive.

Tip 1 - Locate where your pupsave.3fs is - which partition? Put usr_more.sfs in the same partition. Then reboot - no multisession CD-mode this time.

Tip 2 - You can build your own sfs (bombayrockers posted this - cant find it now, but someone can point to the thread).

Tip 3 - When using Magic ISO to add files to the ISO, use Save (not Save As).

Also, please read this about hard disk installs and partitions. Good luck, and oh, tip 4 - get more sleep. :) It's easy to fumble when working very tired.

mn

Cheers

#13 Post by mn »

Thanks Raffy,

With the multi-session cd I did clkick save, the cd loads and runns I put the usr_more.sfs in the root of the iso and uit dident seem to work???

I'll look for the own-sfs post,

Cheers,

MN 8)

raffy

Puppy Version

#14 Post by raffy »

Perhaps this clarification is in order:

usr_more.sfs is used for versions 1.xx, like 1.09, while

anyname_201.sfs is used for version 2.01 (and so on with 200, 202 etc)

I have been helping you with 1.xx, as you've said you will use old PCs, so am always mentioning usr_more.sfs. :oops:
Last edited by raffy on Sun 30 Jul 2006, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

Yaverot

#15 Post by Yaverot »

I didn't read everything, but I keep seeing puppy 2 and usr_more.sfs.
Since it doesn't end in _201.sfs puppy 201 (use 200 for 2, _202 for 2.0.2 etc) won't autoload it.
rename the file to my_201.sfs
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks

theelf

#16 Post by theelf »

Kiso is a linux utility for creating and manipulating iso files
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Utilitie ... 2429.shtml

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

KIso project is a fronted for KDE to make it as easy as possible to create, extract and manipulate CD Image files.

KIso 0.1 and KISO 0.1.1 are completely written in GAMBAS. Due to the fact that Gambas itself is still Alpha and constantly changing and C++ gives more opportunities and is more independant, I decided to dare a rewrite in C++. So from KIso 0.2 on KIso is written in C++.

Here are some key features of "KIso":