Slacko B3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#121 Post by 01micko »

yeah James! We know :) You must have the only brookdale chip on the planet that works 100% :lol:

Charlie, xf86-video-intel-2.15.0.txz is in the main iso anyway, you've no need to add it, but libdrm-2.4.25.txz I might update, we are at libdrm-2.4.23.txz

I've updated the mesa pet, it includes GLEW.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Tasgarth

#122 Post by Tasgarth »

Sorry to just report always the same problem and not suggest a solution : tray slider of sound did not work. (but sound is OK).

1) I tried changing its 'full window' or (and) its 'config window' => no action. It always displays CD
2) I then tried to modify the .retrovolrc script => tray_control=14 or 37 => no action.
What is the procedure to be followed?
Thanks

01micko

#123 Post by 01micko »

Tasgarth wrote:Sorry to just report always the same problem and not suggest a solution : tray slider of sound did not work. (but sound is OK).

1) I tried changing its 'full window' or (and) its 'config window' => no action. It always displays CD
2) I then tried to modify the .retrovolrc script => tray_control=14 or 37 => no action.
What is the procedure to be followed?
Thanks
if I have a problem I go to the config window and select the tray tab, then adjust the tray slider pulldown to what works. I don't know if that will help as you may have already tried.
I do intend to put another tray volume app in PPM for cases where retrovol fails, it's simply called 'volumeicon'. I don't have a current package as yet, but will in the coming days. The package will automatically disable retrovol, make alsamixer the default mixer and place it's own icon in the tray.

Thanks for the report :)

James C

#124 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:yeah James! We know :) You must have the only brookdale chip on the planet that works 100% :lol:
At least something is still working right.....I've had 2-2gb sticks of ram go bad,a hard drive suddenly develop a bunch of bad sectors and a dvd drive decide to quit reading in the last few days.Almost afraid to touch a computer....... :lol:

Anyway, Slacko is still working fine on my 2 frugal installs.No problems.

Tasgarth

#125 Post by Tasgarth »

I do intend to put another tray volume app in PPM for cases where retrovol fails, it's simply called 'volumeicon'.
OK
La patience est mère de toutes les vertus (Patience is the mother of all virtues) :)
I keep my goats back :D

01micko

#126 Post by 01micko »

Tasgarth wrote:La patience est mère de toutes les vertus
:? ( :) )

[if your sound uses OSS then I can recompile an OSS version, very easily]

EDIT: same pet, but with an uninstall script to reinstate retrovol
Attachments
volumeicon-0.4.3-i486-s.pet
replaces retrovol in tray, uninstall reinstates retrovol
(31.71 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#127 Post by Lobster »

tray slider of sound did not work. (but sound is OK).
I have developed this problem. It was not in beta 1 or 2.
The taskbar sound slider does not work and the icon for sound is always red (muted icon) but the sound works OK and right clicking on config window allows me to turn mic on and off, change volume etc

Glad to hear solution is planned :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jpeps

#128 Post by jpeps »

I'm currious about how slacko uses cache. There seems to be a wide variation, even on a fresh boot. Here's two consecutive boots:

Code: Select all

Mem: 1014724K used, 19788K free, 0K shrd, 19496K buff, 908328K cached
Mem: 222108K used, 812404K free, 0K shrd, 28940K buff, 132512K cached
Also, after subtracting out buff and cache, I'm already showing more memory used in slacko than lucid 525, and I've got a lot more loaded in lucid.. including devx, google-earth, more apps, etc.

Tasgarth

#129 Post by Tasgarth »

Hi Mick,
Testing VolumeIcon.pet.

Test I :
Install it > OK
mp3 > sound OK (pmusic) > tray slider > no action
right clic on it > open Alsa Mixer > NO ACTION :cry:

Test 2 :
Open GnomeMplayer > mp3 > sound OK > volume slider of GnomeMplayer : OK
Open Alsa Mixer >PCM > no action (up or down) :cry:
Test 3 :
Open GnomeMPlayer >preferences > audio out displays 'default' and not ALSA.
I modified ' audio out' and put 'ALSA' and... tray icon and Alsa mixer are OK now :D :D
But after a 'restart X server' or a reboot, ALSA mixer and taskbar tray icon did not run ( GnomeMplayer > Audio out again on Default' and not on Alsa :cry: :D :cry:
I modified again ' audio out' and put again 'ALSA' and...tray icon and alsa mixer are OK now :D :D

En progrès :)
Last edited by Tasgarth on Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.

Jades

#130 Post by Jades »

Testing Slacko on the Pentium D will have to wait until tomorrow as it's my Brother's turn on that machine. On Beta 2 it had the same WiFi problem with my Netgear WN111v2 as previously reported.

Will give it a shot on the K6 2 500 if I can get it to start, PSU is a bit dodgy ATM and needs replacing. The version of ffmpeg that comes with Slacko and Lupu is i686-only however so I'll need an alternative MP3 player that doesn't rely on it - I use Madplay on Wary.

I've remembered that I didn't give more details on the printer setup on the Pentium D. The printer is an HP DeskJet 720C, and on Lupu it is set up in CUPS with a ppd (IIRC) script downloaded via this forum. In order to work it needs a pet called pnm2ppa (IIRC) to be installed. Not entirely sure what it does, I think it's some sort of convertor for the data being sent to the printer. On Lupu, I downloaded it and its huge pile of dependencies from one of the Ubuntu repositories on PPM but of course Slacko doesn't access those.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

rcrsn51

#131 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jades: Here is a driver PET for your Deskjet 720C. It has been available in the forum for a while. This is a pretty basic driver, so I don't know why the other distros would add a bunch of dependencies.

Could you please test it in Slacko?
Attachments
hp_deskjet_pnm2ppa-1.12.pet
(135.55 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

01micko

#132 Post by 01micko »

jpeps wrote:I'm currious about how slacko uses cache. There seems to be a wide variation, even on a fresh boot. Here's two consecutive boots:

Mem: 1014724K used, 19788K free, 0K shrd, 19496K buff, 908328K cached
Mem: 222108K used, 812404K free, 0K shrd, 28940K buff, 132512K cached
Also, after subtracting out buff and cache, I'm already showing more memory used in slacko than lucid 525, and I've got a lot more loaded in lucid.. including devx, google-earth, more apps, etc.
Yeah that looks weird. Any output in the kernel logs? dmesg?

Have you tried 3 headed dog? Is it the same?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#133 Post by Lobster »

Tried the java SFS from Slickpet
Got the enclosed read out at the end . . .

There is a later jre here - that has downloaded to the correct location
that has taken . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JavaRuntimeEnvironment

# java -version
java version "1.6.0_27"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_27-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.2-b06, mixed mode)
# 
Java Puppy Linux?
We 'ava everything!
Attachments
java.jpg
(11.76 KiB) Downloaded 902 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#134 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Lobster :)

Presently grabbing a Java-* update 27 sfs, will test and upload if all good. BTW, the *24 version loaded fine for me with sfs_load.

Slacko B4 I am delaying a couple of days, I have made immense changes and need to test myself a bit more before release. None of the changes affect the core. They are all superficial, however they are critical to usability. Maybe some will be backported to woof :) (In particular, I have shrunk a lot of GUI .. mainly stock woof ones that look terrible if you don't have at least 1024x768 resolution.. think netbook).

Sage

#135 Post by Sage »

look terrible if you don't have at least 1024x768 resolution
At one time BK considered 640x480 as "standard" ! Certainly helps to get a picture - any picture - on strange and/or old kit. Resolution can always be adjusted afterwards.
Notwithstanding, shouldn't folks dabbling with compact distros be thinking 4.3" screens with ARM harware? There's a lot of it about and projections of a clean sweep within the decade. Perfect entrée for DPup if not Slacko? Android may be good but...

wuwei

Cups-PDF

#136 Post by wuwei »

Sorry if this was answered before:

But does anybody have an idea, why CUPS-PDF - in Slacko B3 - doesn't print pictures while it does print text?
I am trying to print PDFs from various web sites, but the pictures never come through.

DaveS

#137 Post by DaveS »

I heard Oracle are discontinuing Java for Linux?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#138 Post by 01micko »

DaveS wrote:I heard Oracle are discontinuing Java for Linux?
Wouldn't surprise :roll:

Tasgarth

#139 Post by Tasgarth »

Dont know if anyone else has had a similar problem with Slacko B3 :
shutdown > power off computer did not... start : the computer is 'rebooted'
With B2 : no problem.
For the fun ,I updated my B2 (frugal install) > B3 and now I cannot power off. It 'reboots' again :cry:

wuwei

#140 Post by wuwei »

Tasgarth wrote:Dont know if anyone else has had a similar problem with Slacko B3 :
shutdown > power off computer did not... start : the computer is 'rebooted'
With B2 : no problem.
For the fun ,I updated my B2 (frugal install) > B3 and now I cannot power off. It 'reboots' again :cry:
Confirmed
Same error on my machine.