Hi Mick !
01micko wrote:BROOKDALERS.. I'm going to need everyone's output of:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
... just do ask!...here you are .... :D
from slacko 4.99.4 = B2 frugal install:
samsung syncromaster 913v monitor
with options i915 modeset=1
no additional file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (i.e. disable-composite.conf and i845G.conf)

# lspci -nn | grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 01)
# lspci -nn -mm| grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 "VGA compatible controller [0300]" "Intel Corporation [8086]" "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [2562]" -r01 "Fujitsu Technology Solutions [1734]" "D1521 Mainboard (Fujitsu-Siemens) [1003]"
# 
Also with the same Fuji Siemens PC featured with Brookdale video chip, runs nice also with modeset=1 with other monitors: samsung syncromaster 152B monitor ; compaq CRT monitor.

I have to mention I got (just) once stripped lines displayed + no more menu text after having dragged and dropped a video file on the Play icon for starting Gnome Player. All OK after reboot on the very same personal save file. I could not reproduce this; I then checked the good monitors video and power chords connections (disconnect then reconnect to "clean" contact pins ... sometimes electrical contacts got oxyded)...to be sure. Since then no new problem in a regular daily use ... I promise writing down a post if one would ever arise .

@ MHHP:
I feel you were walking the same path I ran two months ago ( might be then under 312.37 )...
Have a look on cccc's and Ignotum's posts here
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... page3.html
I've read you have spent ( a lot of ) time on this issue.
Maybe have you already tried to add the
disable-composite.conf
and
i845G.conf ( ! looking inside: this script is dedicated to rev01 - should be adapted to rev03 ! )
files in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
then reboot.
These are the files recommended in the links you mentionned in one of your later Brookdale's posts;
These are also contained in the slacko archive - 01micko has put them somewhere in it - Pfind should find them;
see also this link :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=552008
Brookdale's rev here is rev01 whereas yours is 03 ... would that make any difference...?
Hope this helps

Cheers ! Charlie
last edited:
@MHHP: your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/i845G.conf file content would maybe look as: ( (rev03) was (rev01) )

Section "Device"
    Identifier 	"Card0"
    Driver 	"intel"
    Option 	"Shadow" "True"
    Option 	"DRI"  "False"
    BoardName 	"Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)"
    BusID 	"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
Last edited by charlie6 on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

links files

#102 Post by jpeps »

Here are extra libs needed for links-2.3 (posted elsewhere)

http://jpeters.net/apps/links-2.3.pet

usr/lib/libdirect-1.2.so.9
usr/lib/libdirect-1.2.so.9.0.1
usr/lib/libdirectfb-1.2.so.9
usr/lib/libdirectfb-1.2.so.9.0.1
usr/lib/libfusion-1.2.so.9
usr/lib/libfusion-1.2.so.9.0.1
Last edited by jpeps on Tue 20 Sep 2011, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

jpeps

cups problems

#103 Post by jpeps »

I had to manually load localhost:631 (wizzard opened browser to homepage)

Cups didn't show my usb hp P1102w laser printer. Shows up in lucid.

rodin.s

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga" - my output

#104 Post by rodin.s »

# lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82810 DC-100 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller [8086:7123] (rev 03)
01:04.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: S3 Inc. Savage 4 [5333:8a22] (rev 04)
So I guess it's not Brookdale chip.

01micko

Re: cups problems

#105 Post by 01micko »

jpeps wrote:I had to manually load localhost:631 (wizzard opened browser to homepage)

Cups didn't show my usb hp P1102w laser printer. Shows up in lucid.
yeah, back on about page 2 or 3 is the libusb you need, or you can try the libusb-compat, next page, it was a woof thing. Printer should show then. Maybe that's why the cups page failed to open? :? I've never ever seen that though. Cups is pretty stock standard and has been pretty much the least of trouble in spup-slacko for about a year.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jasper

#106 Post by Jasper »

Hi 01micko et al,

My continuing experience with Slacko remains excellent and 4.99.5 seems less demanding on RAM and CPU than 4.99.4.

There are two small points:

(1) re Pburn: I did not manage to burn an ISO image because neither CD-R nor DVD+RW discs were recognized as being in the drive.

(2) re xorg_high: The download did not seem to be available via slickpet or install.

My regards

I used Burniso2cd instead (which can actually clean a DVD+RW before writing - I think that was a tip from Flash). Neither Pburn nor Burniso state they can deal with "+" varieties; so it seems ideal that these descriptions might be updated - by someone, sometime.

I don't need xorg_high (recommened for me by slickpet) though it does seem to improve access speed e.g perhaps in loading this Forum's posts/threads a bit faster.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#107 Post by Béèm »

Sage wrote:Thanks for your consideration, mick. I suppose it all comes down to the definition and use of 'decent'. Perhaps one could argue 'adequate'? Not sure how the guys over at Luci came to their strategy or how they implemented it, but it's nice to see choice pop up at an early stage. Politicians like to talk about choice, but they usually mean their choice! No need to parrot their behaviour?!
SeaMonkey is a decent browser. Using it for years without problems. 8)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

aarf

#108 Post by aarf »

Transmission at 1.2 is long out of date.

MinHundHettePerro

#109 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

On Brookdale chips:

01micko, your plan B looks promising, judging from the pic, I guess it's best to fix things like this before X is started.

I have no clue as to why your first fix, writing the xorg.conf.d files, didn't work for me - maybe because X was already running and restarting X was flaky with the running conf. It should have worked.

charlie6, thanks, yes I already tried with BoardName ...... (rev03), didn't make a difference, though ....

I now employ conf-files in xorg.conf.d :shock:, and it seems like the BoardName and BusID entries for the Section "Device" aren't needed.....
I might as well learn how to use the xorg.conf.d/conf-files ................. :)

Anyway, prepare to make fix-ups of this character also for other cards ........ See post 47 of this weeks DWW comments

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Stripe

#110 Post by Stripe »

hi all

update on flsynclient

I have got a fully functioning touchpad but I had to set it up in 528 and copy the root/.flsynclient file from 528 and overwrite the original slacko file (not ideal but it worked)

in 528 when I opened flsynclient I got a message saying it recognised my touchpad and to restart xserver, when I restarted x I could make changes to the touchpad and they were saved.

in slacko I do not get any message and all I can change is the speed of the cursor. no tapping but the vertical scroll works out of the box,

I tried installing jemimah's synclient-0.1.4.6.pet and flsynclient-.6.pet but this made no difference

what versions are we using so that I can try and compile it again to see if I can get it working? (some chance :lol:)

everything else seems ok

cheers
don

Just noticed that youtube are looking for html5 testers
http://www.youtube.com/html5

charlie6

Slacko versus Brookdale quest (Act n+1)

#111 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
:lol: here again ... as promised ...
1. Burned 4.99.5 after .iso md5sum check OK;
2. Booted at first nice; upon personal settings (PSet) got stripped caleidoscopico-multicoloured lines just at the place of the first PSet box together with Menu text disappeared.
2.1. At once installed (menu icon are still present and rox is also still running) the two /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d files (see my previous post) and restarted X ... nothing to do: black screen "fooorrreeeveeeer"...

3. Rebooted ( puppy pfix=ram pkeys=be-latin1 ) without doing anything at the personal settings. No more caleido.. strip nor missing Menu text.
3.1.Then installed:
+ the two above *.conf files
+ xf86-video-intel-2.15.0.txz
+libdrm-2.4.25.txz
+glew-1.5.7.txz
as also mentioned in the link in my previous post (link to "cccc's and ignotus's" post).
3.2. Reboot and save the personal file.
3.3. X displays nice. Could complete the personal settings and restart X to activate it.

(NB: I already have done points under 3. on 312.37 - so I had stored all the relevant files in an apart USB stick ... 8) ).

(IMHO:
1. I doubt about the need of the files under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ... :? as 4.99.4 didn't needed them here.
2. All these is inspired from informations found just browsing the net - so I cannot give any warranty about correctness)

Now, again thank you so much to you and other contributors !

attachment: report-video + lsmod comment + installed packages info ins the same report-video.txt.tar.gz : JUST RENAME it dropping off the .tar.gz tail to read it with whatever text editor.

Hope this helps
Cheers, charlie
Attachments
reportvideo.txt.tar.gz
report-video.txt.tar.gz : JUST RENAME it dropping off the .tar.gz tail to read it
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

jpeps

#112 Post by jpeps »

libusb-0.1.12-w5.pet worked to show printer; hp laserjet P1102w worked with foo2zjs drivers, and networking an hp deskjet 940c worked out of the box.

I still had to manually load localhost:631, I have defaultbrowser set to a firefox link. After seamonkey, firefox opens, but not to localhost.

edit: posted a links-2.3.pet link back one page, since it looks like my original posting is non-existent.

Brown Mouse

#113 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hi Micko

Probably not what you want to hear from a very inexperienced Puppy tester but I cant fault B3 in any way running on my desktop and I just love Seamonkey as a fast and perfectly suited default browser.

Great stuff as always :D

01micko

#114 Post by 01micko »

Brown Mouse wrote:Hi Micko

Probably not what you want to hear from a very inexperienced Puppy
[snip]
Why not ? :)

ah, thanks for letting me know about firefox jpeps, I may adjust things so firefox is supported (other browsers too).

-

In other news..

I have Frisbee working, out of the box.. what a pain! But it is fully integrated into the Internet wizard .. starts by actually installing it, then you are prompted to open it by either menu, icon on desktop or right clicking the network icon in the tray. Sns and Dougal's network are untouched and if you don't install frisbee it sits there forever uninstalled, I got the size down to about 250K as well, so it's not taking too much room on the main sfs. Seems persistent too.

Next stop.. flsynclient .. :roll:

rcrsn51

#115 Post by rcrsn51 »

jpeps wrote:libusb-0.1.12-w5.pet worked to show printer; hp laserjet P1102w worked with foo2zjs drivers, and networking an hp deskjet 940c worked out of the box.
And people complain about printer setup being difficult :wink:
I still had to manually load localhost:631, I have defaultbrowser set to a firefox link. After seamonkey, firefox opens, but not to localhost.
Look at /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and see if you are passing the right arguments to firefox.

exec firefox "$@"

cowboy

brookdale "r" us

#116 Post by cowboy »

01micko, here is my output for the lspci command given above:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 03)

initial report on B3 - probed, changed default to 1024x768x24. Set numlock, started Seamonkey from browser icon, and installed Flash. Restarted Seamonkey, and came over to the forum for this report. No problems yet, and will report if anything comes up. Will be running from LiveCD with a new savefile. Thanks!
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

jpeps

#117 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote: And people complain about printer setup being difficult :wink:
well, things are much easier with you on board, for sure.
Look at /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and see if you are passing the right arguments to firefox.

exec firefox "$@"
oh geez....yeah, I have a personal setting pet that automatically copied it in wrong. Thanks for your insight. It works. Sorry for the blunder.

01micko

#118 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for owning up jpeps! :P Saves me any bother. :)

MHHP, interesting about nouveau. It's in ppm .. I might add a pinstall.sh, or even a little sub proggy to add those lines to "50-device.conf". Nouveau works splendidly on my GeForce 8400 GS and ok on my old P3 with old vanta (which has sadly died :( ). There are many cards in between that have strange issues that's why nouveau was dropped. Perhaps in the future, with a new kernel, I'll bring it back.

Charlie, hopefully tonight I'll upload B4, it has the little "PLan B" brookdale extension to xorgwizard, based on MMHP"S and your work.
So brookdale 'r' us ( :lol: @ cowboy), thanks for the out put of lspci for your cards, but as I stated, I can get completely different results when changing monitors, so I think a choice is ok. IIRC, James C has some super brookdale chip that has never had a problem!
I may also mention in that dialog that "mesa" is recommended, it includes the libs you refer to Charlie, I should also mention the bios mem setting being set at 8M.

Jasper, "Xorg_high" is "Mesa" for all intents and purposes, it downloads ok in B4, due soon.

aarf, yeah old transmission (for size), works ok for me though, newer one is in PPM>Internet category.

Stripe.. seems this release the bugs are to do with the 3 F's... Fido, Frisbee, Flsynclient :lol: .. Status:
Fido: Usable (in B4)
Frisbee: Fixed (in B4)
Flsynclient: work in progress.(hopefully improved for B4)

:)

charlie6

Slacko versus Brookdale

#119 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,

..."Xorg_high" is "Mesa" for all intents and purposes...
mesa-7.10.2-i486-1.txz
(downloaded from slackware 13.37 repo)

That last Mesa version has ran OK on Brookdale here (B2 and earlier), together with the 3 .txz files mentionned in my previous post.

I remind mesa-7.9.2 did not work here on an earlier Slacko version (X crashed or something like that).

Charlie

James C

#120 Post by James C »

Better late than never I guess......

]# lspci -nn|grep  -iE "vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 01)
Still no problems on this box. :)