Slacko B3

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#81 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:Guess its time for me to investigate the CORRECT driver for my HP Photosmart instead of the 'close enough' Gutenprint one. I think that means the whole HPlip thing :)
It's not a big deal. Get them here.

mikeslr

How about a Printer-Driver Dialogue

#82 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & All;

rcrsn51 -- Quote:
I just received a PM from a user suggesting that Puppy should include drivers for EVERY printer.
01micko:-- Quote:
Erm, wouldn't that double the size of the iso.. and then some? I don't think an OS that exists can ship with EVERY driver.
Connectivity is needed by almost everyone. I, myself, rarely print anything; I don't even set up printing until I need it and running several Puppies only need it on one. Fixing printing for a few at the expense of connectivity for everyone sound like a poor deal. Having to carry a printing driver whether it is needed or not sounds like a poor deal.
Surely this is arse backwards?
How about treating this problem like we do graphic drivers in some Puppies? i.e., the build-in module which determines which hardware your system has, a suggestion as to which would be the "driver" your system needs with an option to download it?
Note "driver" as used here would have to include everything necessary for it to function.
It would conserve space needed by ISO but, of course, need work by someone who knows what he's doing -- which leaves me out.

mikesLr

DaveS

#83 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Guess its time for me to investigate the CORRECT driver for my HP Photosmart instead of the 'close enough' Gutenprint one. I think that means the whole HPlip thing :)
Thanks. Installed. Works. Bookmarked. Brilliant. :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

JonT

#84 Post by JonT »

Manual frugal install and first boot of slackob3 went smoothly. Overall, very nice.

I tried pns-tool; it connected fine. I followed the instructions about editing files. On reboot, wlan0 was re-established but the dhcp connection was not made. Should it have been? Perhaps I erred in the file alteration steps. Rerunning pns-tool, not bothering with file editing, worked again. Noted that the editing features are not yet implemented. I have had good luck with SNS, Dougals' and Frisbee - advantages of being behind the times with hardware.

Brookdale black screens appear, sometimes, on reboot, not unexpected; however b3, unlike b2, gives me the the famous MHHP kaleidoscopic patches, sometimes. Disadvantages of being behind the times with hardware.

I notice that right-clicking the networking tray icon gives network status info; it didn't for me in b2 (didn't report it).

Yep, had to use flloopfix to get good synaptics touchpad behavior. It is necessary to run flsynclient first (or create some files manually) and save the settings before running flloopfix, then an X-restart after.

I am not so presumptious to assume I can tell you, 01micko, something that you don't know on any linux subject but you did ask for help.
01micko wrote:*Synaptics is still a pain! I rolled back to flsynclient-0.6 but still need to run flloopfix.. help!
Here's my best shot. I note that lupu 528, and perhaps others, have a pre-existing file /usr/share/synclient/xorg.conf2-Synaptics containing default settings for synclient, utilized by /usr/bin/synclient.sh. Perhaps this approach would work for you rather than having to create a file via flsynclient (in flloopfix) to insert into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Please ignore this suggestion if it is on the dumb side of OK. Here's the small file,synclient.sh, (remove .tar.gz extension to read) (Edit: fixed BBCode for quoting)
Attachments
synclient.sh.tar.gz
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Last edited by JonT on Mon 19 Sep 2011, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#85 Post by majorfoo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
01micko wrote: I am leaving gutenprint out of the main iso with a message to down load it from the Setup menu in PPM (not until B4 :wink: ) That will save 3M, but it is already spent mostly by broadcom.
I just received a PM from a user suggesting that Puppy should include drivers for EVERY printer.
I have a Brother-Hl2140 laser jet printer which was not recognized in 4.99.5 until I d/l the usb pet provided.

rcrsn51 - I have a question for you. The Brother HL2140 is not shown in list where you browse for printer. I have been using brother-2040 which was recommended printer in other versions of puppy. Should I continue with this or d/l driver for this specific printer?

thanks
majorfoo

MinHundHettePerro

#86 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

JonT wrote:Brookdale black screens appear, sometimes, on reboot, not unexpected; however b3, unlike b2, gives me the the famous MHHP kaleidoscopic patches, sometimes. Disadvantages of being behind the times with hardware.
Rats ..., thought I suggested a smart (!) Brookdale remedy, but maybe it only works with my set-up :roll: :roll: /MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

ecube

Vanishing tray buttons

#87 Post by ecube »

I am having problems configuring jwm.

When I add panel buttons, the buttons at the right corner of the tray disappear (jwm0.jpg).
My new launch buttons show up in a normal way. (jwm1.jpg)

Any suggestion about how to recover the lost buttons will be most welcome.

[/img]
Attachments
jwm1.jpg
New panel buttons
(11.83 KiB) Downloaded 896 times
jwm0.jpg
Vanishing tray buttons.
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 902 times

rcrsn51

#88 Post by rcrsn51 »

majorfoo wrote:I have a Brother-Hl2140 laser jet printer which was not recognized in 4.99.5 until I d/l the usb pet provided.
Please post questions about Brother printers here.

rodin.s

xorgwizard

#89 Post by rodin.s »

Something was changed in xorgwizard. I couldn't start X in 4.99.5. (I have integrated i810 and pci savage cards. Savage is active.). I have copied xorg.conf from 4.99.4 to start X.

JonT

#90 Post by JonT »

MHHP,
rerwin asked me do some testing some testing during lupu development. Here ishis conclusion and a followup.

He determined that my Brookdale (rev 3) was yet another subversion/subvendor than other rev 3's. It ignored his fixes.

Your efforts have surely been helpful to some; it just may be be a custom fix is needed for each subversion. I think mine is especially uncooperative.

Got excited the other day and thought my laptop was about to die but, sadly, it perked up again.

rodin.s: Your note just appeared. My Intel integrated graphics Brookdale works best with i810 and worked (some) better with b2... maybe you're in the same boat with me! Jon

ecube

Re: Vanishing tray buttons

#91 Post by ecube »

LJFR,

Your JWM Configuration Manager solved my problem.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01775

Olov

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

darkcity wrote:what problems are you having with frisbee?
None actually, I just did a pfix=ram boot, touched no net settings, installed Frisbee_beta-2.3-spup and it worked a charm.
I have integrated it into the main sfs, but there is a problem with it not working, the clue is that there is something in the pinstall.sh that needs to be run which is what I'm working on now.

Ecube, interesting about jwm, I'll try LJFR's tool. :) .

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

BROOKDALERS.. I'm going to need everyone's output of:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
I'll leave in the hacks for timing and try to filter out which ones work and not with MMHP's xorgwizard patch. The patch works on my rev2.

Known brookdalers:
JonT
MinHundHettePerro
01micko
James C
cowboy
charlie6

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

MHHP, you reckon we can fix the console font issue? I know we can't fix the small fontsize, I've tried to change res in console, I can only go up, not down! :shock: You know the issue I mean.

rodin.s, is your's a Brookdale video chip?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

Re: Vanishing tray buttons

#93 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

ecube wrote:LJFR,

Your JWM Configuration Manager solved my problem.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01775

Olov
I played a while with the /usr/local/jwmconfig2/panel-buttons-tool and found that after each run it deleted some lines from /root/.jwmrc-tray :shock: :shock:.

Methinks that button should be disabled in the JWM-configuration manager until fixed! Or, perhaps, this ljfr-tool can be a good replacement - haven't tried it yet :).

Cheers :)/ MHHP

MinHundHettePerro

#94 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:BROOKDALERS.. I'm going to need everyone's output of:

lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
I'll leave in the hacks for timing and try to filter out which ones work and not with MMHP's xorgwizard patch. The patch works on my rev2.

Known brookdalers:
JonT
MinHundHettePerro
01micko
James C
cowboy
charlie6
Ok, here goes:

# lspci -nn -mm |grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 "VGA compatible controller [0300]" "Intel Corporation [8086]" "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [2562]" -r03 "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [1462]" "Device [7148]"
I even followed JonT's link to rerwin's udev-rule-tinkering and edited /etc/udev/rules.d/00-i915_modeset0.rules to include the subspecs of my card - didn't reach X (with, or without my patch applied). Should've known better,really, since my earlier experiments with boot-params showed that modeset=0 is a no-go and modeset=1 is the way to go for this Brookdale sub-version :wink:.
01micko wrote:MHHP, you reckon we can fix the console font issue? I know we can't fix the small fontsize, I've tried to change res in console, I can only go up, not down! :shock: You know the issue I mean.
On this issue, I'm mostly grasping at straws, really. But, maybe a clue is to be found in JonT's links to rerwin's posts above; there is a mentioning of a rule ensuring that fbcon is loaded before Xorg-drivers, or something to that extent - haven't fully grasped it yet, will continue my pursuit .............. :roll: :).
As for now, I'd say ignore my console-fonts ramblings for the time being (i.e. the betas :P :) ) (I'm merely collecting pieces to, eventually, solve this :D :D :D) - unless, someone jumps in and provides the missing piece of this puzzle :wink: :) :).

Cheers :)/ MHHP

Jim1911

#95 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
It's not a big deal because of your hard work. We appreciate what you do to keep our printer/scanners working.

Cheers, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jim

JonT

#96 Post by JonT »

01micko wrote:BROOKDALERS.. I'm going to need everyone's output of:
Code:
lspci -nn|grep -iE "vga"
Here's mine.

# lspci -nn | grep -iE "vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device [8086:2562] (rev 03)
Admiring your tenacity,01micko and MHHP. :D I would contribute to the effort if I knew how,
Jon

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#97 Post by Lobster »

JonT wrote:I would contribute to the effort if I knew how,
Jon
Test everything. Report back. :)

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/NoobHelp
try todo and Absolute noobs section for suggestions

Puppy Linux
Run Free
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#98 Post by 01micko »

Haha! I may not bother trying to automate the Brookdale bugfix.. it may well be (and I have seen this) monitor dependent too, that would make it impossible to automate! I'm sure I'm not going to get every device ID of every possible monitor hooked up to a Brookdale! :lol:

Lucky I have Plan B :wink:

It works too :)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

STatus Reports

#99 Post by gcmartin »

Status reports attached.

Desktop started after initial video probe. All seems well. Live media boots OK on 3 systems.

A system report is attached which contains lspci info requested.

Hope this helps
Attachments
report-video-glx.tar.gz
System report also contains LSPCI info requested
(6.62 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

mavrothal

#100 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: None actually, I just did a pfix=ram boot, touched no net settings, installed Frisbee_beta-2.3-spup and it worked a charm.
I have integrated it into the main sfs, but there is a problem with it not working, the clue is that there is something in the pinstall.sh that needs to be run which is what I'm working on now.
If I remember correctly from XOpup the problem is that if other connection tools are configured will be started by rc.sysinit and this may conflict with frisbee.
Check the pinstall here for a possible solution
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==