Midnight Sun Pup 002 with 2.6.35.7 and 003 with 2.6.38.4

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
smokey01

#161 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu wrote:I believe MNS-002 misses the needed close app for dvd`s. Without it finalizing aka closing the dvd fails.

Sorry mate I should have mentioned I'm using 003. I guess it has the same problem.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... ools-1.pet

Will this fix 003 too?

Also, there is something else about Pburn here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 554#559554
Yes, just noticed that.

Thanks

Colonel Panic

#162 Post by Colonel Panic »

Sorry, had to give up using Midnight. Firefox was grinding the hard drive for some reason (maybe it was running out of RAM and not picking up the swap).

I'd rather tell you than drift onto another Puppy without you knowing. I tend to hop around between Puppies quite a lot anyway (mainly because I love Puppy, the isos are small and CD-Rs are still cheap).

I've still got the Midnight CD-R if you want me to run any tests to figure out what's going wrong. It might just be my old machine; it wouldn't be the first time (I've had the same problem with Lighthouse 3.01 in the past).

Best,

CP .
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

pemasu

#163 Post by pemasu »

Colonel Panic. Well, next Midnight Sun will be the product of newest woof and many stuff will be updated. Firefox will be the latest, Flashplayer will be newest and so on....

Every release is build of versions available at that time.

I think that debugging is not very useful...if you dont know anything spesific reason of some failure.
Of course xerrs.log might record spesific reasons but it has a lot info of normal behavior. So...it is sometimes like tracking needle from hay stack.
Also kernel 2.6.38.4 time is over now. I will use 2.6.39.3 now or newer in the future.

Dont use your time too much with debugging.

I havent forgotten Midnight Sun altogether. I just dont have time to support all my releases all the time.

smokey01

#164 Post by smokey01 »

Huston we have a problem.

When I started MidnightSunPup-003 this morning, X would not load. I tried XorgWizard a number of times using different video drivers to no avail.

This has been working well since it's release. The only thing I have changed is adding the DevX file with sfs_on_the_fly. I was doing a bit of coding and compiling, nothing startling and it was working fine.

Is there a known bug in this distro with sfs_on_the_fly?

What is the best way to delete the video information and have Xorgwizard start fresh, or is there a better way.

pemasu

#165 Post by pemasu »

Smokey. Sorry to hear that you have problem with MNS. There should not be problem with sfs on the fly, I think I have used recent enough version with it.
I am sure I tested devx sfs loading on the fly, since I compile all the time.

To debug the problem. Only way is to start check log files. Xerrs.log is probably first to check what problems it logs. Use the method which is familiar for you in console state. There are several console text editors or just in console cat /tmp/xerrs.log or cat /tmp/xerrs.log | less
You need to try to start X of course first.

You might find errors of loading something or something other relevant....

pemasu

#166 Post by pemasu »

I think, I might update MNS at some stage, but I would like to use newer kernel 2.6.39.4 with it.
Could you, Smokey01, test some of my 2.6.39.3 - 26.39.4 puplets so that I would know if they will work for you.

smokey01

#167 Post by smokey01 »

pemasu wrote:I think, I might update MNS at some stage, but I would like to use newer kernel 2.6.39.4 with it.
Could you, Smokey01, test some of my 2.6.39.3 - 26.39.4 puplets so that I would know if they will work for you.
Absolutely I would.

Colonel Panic

#168 Post by Colonel Panic »

pemasu wrote:Colonel Panic. Well, next Midnight Sun will be the product of newest woof and many stuff will be updated. Firefox will be the latest, Flashplayer will be newest and so on....

Every release is build of versions available at that time.

I think that debugging is not very useful...if you dont know anything spesific reason of some failure.
Of course xerrs.log might record spesific reasons but it has a lot info of normal behavior. So...it is sometimes like tracking needle from hay stack.
Also kernel 2.6.38.4 time is over now. I will use 2.6.39.3 now or newer in the future.

Dont use your time too much with debugging.

I havent forgotten Midnight Sun altogether. I just dont have time to support all my releases all the time.
Fair enough, and thanks for taking it well.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.