Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

#1 Post by pemasu »

Check md5sum of download before posting bugs !

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... mo5X31103/

Kernel sources (not changed): http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... ixed-aufs/

Kernel 3.1.10, core 2 and up optimized, SMP, hyperthreading, multicore-scheduler, hibernation

Firefox 11 with Fireftp, Adblock and Flashblock preinstalled.

New version presents Uget-1.8 and aria2c-1.14.2 which as couple handles torrent downloads:
Aria2c is powerful downloader itself, you can use it easily from commandline:
http://aria2.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/aria2/ ... ageExample

Uget-1.8:
Support for Torrent and Metalink file (with aria2 plug-in).
Add new plug-in that support aria2 version >= 1.10.
It might be that there isn`t much need for Transmission in the future and I can shave some weight off, alltough slim and small is not my first priority.

New apps, not many: aria2-1.14.2, rox right-left click MultiCopyPaste, libXxf86misc for Xscreensaver etc..

Updates: Uget-1.8, Pmusic-2.5.2 with track info fix, delayedrun script new hack, so that Flash download offer stays in queue until net connection has been established, pnethood-0.6.8.9 by Shinobar, tempicon-0.08. Broadcom wireless wl driver added, thanks Peebee.
Exprimo repo updated with google-talk-plugin and new Virtual box sfs...

Dpup 5.X.3.1.10.3 has been uploaded
Woof used: [8974b31b2c] Leaf: version used to build wary/racy 5.2.91 (5.3RC2)
-------> http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/timeline

For live CD...there is now for booting grub4dos menu by grldr, menu.lst and splash.xpm.

Pet installation and PPM uses Shinobar`s recent petget-20120331.pet with dpup modified deps_check.sh. Overwriting warning and missing deps downloading suggestion now implemented. Classic UI only.

Getflash fixed, no more changed permissions or ownerships. Also ipv4 only feature added to the scripts. James C should be happy.

Lxterminal now the default console....so that gtk-youtube-viewer right click panel works now. You can watch the added and queued youtube videos now with right click. Rxvt-unicode ie urxvt is still there. Removing all the script dependencies for urxvt is not my priority. Vte preinstalled so you can add other vte using terminals easily.

Gnome-Mplayer-1.0.6b1 and Gecko-Mediaplayer-1.0.6b1. Firefox 11
Postscript files opens now with left click and has also right click choice to open. They have also exportable a4paper definition in /etc/profile.d/a4paper.
Gmeasures added for unit conversion, Gplanner with preview (when you have created something to preview) fixed, xosd - osd_cat patched - recompiled, vbetool added and volume scripts added.
Small fixes which I dont remember anymore....

Check md5sum of download before posting bugs !

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... mo5X31103/

Kernel sources (not changed): http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... ixed-aufs/
Attachments
DpupEXprimo5X10.2SMP.jpg
(164.61 KiB) Downloaded 13274 times
dpup-exprimo-5X10.jpg
(42.8 KiB) Downloaded 16222 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 22:46, edited 46 times in total.

James C

#2 Post by James C »

Downloading now.I'll give it a good test run on this quad-core....probably make a multi-session dvd.

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.7 SMP multicore optimized version

#3 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to gateway desktop.
Installed mesa and the proprietary ati video driver.

Fri 16 Sep 2011 Operating System: Dpup Exprimo SMP-5.X.7 Linux 2.6.39.4
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5500 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: REDWOOD 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: vesa
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5570
OpenGL version string: 4.1.11005 Compatibility Profile Context

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Core 0: 2592 1: 2592 2: 2592 3: 2592 MHz

# glxgears
38164 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7632.698 FPS
39851 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7970.093 FPS

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Great ! Kernel source sfs usability test done. That is good news.

Edit. Your status info shows that you use vesa driver though.

Billtoo

#5 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. Great ! Kernel source sfs usability test done. That is good news.

Edit. Your status info shows that you use vesa driver though.
That vesa shows up in some other pups too, it's wrong because hardware acceleration is working, I already played a level of nexuiz and you can't do that with the vesa driver.

I'm not sure but I think maybe the tv tuner card (el cheapo) is causing the error.

James C

#6 Post by James C »

Haven't had a chance to do much exploring yet but.......Dpup Exprimo 5.X.7 live multi-session dvd.Sound,internet and screen resolution all working on initial boot.

Dpup Exprimo SMP, version 5.X.7 on Fri 16 September 2011
Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1368x768 pixels (414x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2854MB (173MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 16 Sep 2011 06:34:37 PM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1368x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Attachments
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.7.png
(40.97 KiB) Downloaded 15965 times
Last edited by James C on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#7 Post by jim3630 »

5x7 usual pfix=ram install with broadcom pet. unable to load wl driver. looked at bootloader for loaded modules and only noticed a bcm...something. perhaps it should get blacklisted?

Jim1911

#8 Post by Jim1911 »

Working great with all of my normal software, as usual. No problem installing Nvidia 280.13.

I hope that you are considering the new 3.0.4 kernel for this experimental version.

Thank you for sharing this,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(50.02 KiB) Downloaded 15628 times

jim3630

#9 Post by jim3630 »

made wifi connection with backup ar9170usb. reading the attached report noted could not find wl driver despite installed broadcom pet
Attachments
sys-info-110916.gz
(10.61 KiB) Downloaded 1279 times

pemasu

#10 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Two things. First is that my new kernel has new broadcom drivers included.
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
These drivers needs also firmware to be downloaded and installed from above link. Those firmwares are not included because the git.kernel.org is down. Something has happened in kernel.org.

Secondly. I forgot to add depmod -a execution command included pinstall.sh. You can do that execution in console yourself. Reboot.

Next thing. It is possible that you need to blacklist those new broadcom drivers also, not sure about that, you need to experiment.
The drivers are: brcmsmac and brcmfmac
If it is so, I can update the /etc/init.d/BC-wl script to rmmod them also.

I have reuploaded the broadcom pet so that it has now that pinstall.sh included which performs depmod -a.

pemasu

#11 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. Thank you of the feedback and that you also tested kernel source sfs with proprietary Nvidia.

About 3.04 kernel. Not yet. Barry has stated that there are scripts in puppy that expects 2.6 kernel. I dont know implications of that and I dont know what scripts expect that.
So...because I build with woof, I wont yet compile 3.x kernels.

pemasu

#12 Post by pemasu »

Git.kernel.org is down, but I got from Tempestuous the firmware package for brcm80211. The new broadcom driver is for newer chips: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... rted_Chips.
For older broadcom devices, this driver could be even nuisance if it tries to load without working.

Anyway...The firmware pet is attached. If somebody knows, that he will need this new driver, he will need this firmware package also.
It installs the firmwares to the usual location in /lib/firmware. Reboot is probably needed.

Jim1911

#13 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Just a minor problem, Dpup Exprimo 5.x.7 will not mount a 4fs save file when clicked. It mounts 3fs save files properly.

It would be great if a choice of 4fs save files were offered. Barry did offer it for a brief period, however, there were problems so rather than correct the problem he dropped that option. TazOC did solve the problem with 4fs save files and his LHP does offer that option. The 4fs save files on LHP have been faster than both 2fs and 3fs and are very reliable.

Thanks,
Jim

pemasu

#14 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. Thanks for the 4fs savefile info. I keep it in mind and I try to dig out why it was dropped out. I remember the debate only vaguely.

DaveS

#15 Post by DaveS »

runs beautifully on my dual core laptop but hardinfo/sensors has no output. CPUtemp is fine.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#16 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Hardinfo sensors havent worked with any newer kernels. It is bug in hardinfo app, not in Dpup per se. I am sure you have noticed that in other newer kernel using puplets also.
It would be nice little debugging experiment to someone.......
Pupsysinfo and sensors tab is the real test. Do you get cpu temp info from it.
I think Radkys Pupsysinfo nowadays is more up to date than hardinfo.

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Dave S. Hardinfo sensors havent worked with any newer kernels. It is bug in hardinfo app, not in Dpup per se. I am sure you have noticed that in other newer kernel using puplets also.
It would be nice little debugging experiment to someone.......
Pupsysinfo and sensors tab is the real test. Do you get cpu temp info from it.
I think Radkys Pupsysinfo nowadays is more up to date than hardinfo.
Yes, Pupsysinfo works fine :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#18 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Git.kernel.org is down, but I got from Tempestuous the firmware package for brcm80211. The new broadcom driver is for newer chips: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... rted_Chips.
For older broadcom devices, this driver could be even nuisance if it tries to load without working.

Anyway...The firmware pet is attached. If somebody knows, that he will need this new driver, he will need this firmware package also.
It installs the firmwares to the usual location in /lib/firmware. Reboot is probably needed.
installed firmware pet reboot to pfix=ram and it worke! I have bcm4313 frisbee acquired wifi connection on wlan0.

tested new broadcom wl pet and it worked as well acquiring wifi on eth1 without requiring any blacklisting.

pemasu

#19 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Could you confirm. The new brcm80211 worked for you after installing the firmware pet. Probably you rebooted of course. After that you installed the broadcom pet which installs wl.ko driver and you got that working also.
When you were successful, did you confirm what driver your wlan connection used in both cases.
After experimenting, I dont think it will be good idea to have them both. I think that one or other should have preferences to be used.

It would be really good news to some troublesome wl driver needed broadcom users.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#20 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Could you confirm. The new brcm80211 worked for you after installing the driver pet and firmware pet. Probably you rebooted of course. After that you installed the broadcom pet which installs wl.ko driver and you got that working also.
When you were successful, did you confirm what driver your wlan connection used in both cases.
After experimenting, I dont think it will be good idea to have them both. I think that one or other should have preferences to be used.

It would be really good news to some troublesome wl driver needed broadcom users.
The new brcm80211 worked after installing only the firmware pet. the driver is pre-installed in the kernel.

When you were successful, did you confirm what driver your wlan connection used in both cases. sns showed wlan0 brcmsmac driver
the broadcom wl pet activated eth1.

rebooted pfix=ram installed your newly updated broadcom wl pet. which worked after configuring as usual.