Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#221 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: Thanks James C. it seems like a good one so I think it will be back. I didn't disable Quickpet--it disabled itself because it checks for what version of Puppy is being used and it did not recognize 3HD ;-) I have it running but it fails in downloading, so I might need 01micko.
Might as well put it back up........other than the Quickpet thing I can see no other problems.
My usual fresh manual frugal install......everything working on initial boot.Installed SeaMonkey and Firefox....no problems.Went to minimal icons and JWM....still don't like Openbox. :lol:

James C

#222 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote: I didn't disable Quickpet--it disabled itself because it checks for what version of Puppy is being used and it did not recognize 3HD ;-) I have it running but it fails in downloading, so I might need 01micko.
I believe runtt21 ran into the same thing with Macpup too.

playdayz

#223 Post by playdayz »

Might as well put it back up..
Oh, I will tomorrow. Instead of fighting for the name 3HD I went back to Luci--Quickpet is happy again ;-)

Thanks.

See, I'm thinking that with a couple of versions, it could be a good foundation for whatever kernel one wanted to use.

James C

#224 Post by James C »

Been running for a while and doing the usual tweaks.....everything looking fine so far.Everything has survived several reboots as well.
Attachments
Three-Headed-Dog-001.png
(33.5 KiB) Downloaded 737 times

jim3630

#225 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:
showed those errors when opened from menu
Oh, where did it show them? And, had you installed and uninstalled any pets before that? Thanks for your help.
playdayz a message box is where, if I wasn't clear no errors from the console. only pets installed broadcom wl k2.6.37.6 spup and frisbee from the menu.

did try sm 2.4 from slacko first, did not work then uninstalled before installing lucid sm.

01micko

#226 Post by 01micko »

hi jim3630

Many slacko pets will not likely work in lucid because of the later versions of gtk/gdk/cairo/pango/pixman. I link against all these when compiling seamonkey/firefox to shave a couple of M off the size.

As for quickpet woes I can make a new version if need be. When I think about it I could have saved some grief if I had of tested for DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT instead of DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX, it would have been far more general and puplet makers could then make their prefix whatever they like. It even tripped me up when I went from "spup" to "slacko". Fortunately that one didn't get released :wink: .

I know the embarrassment though.. spup-054 lasted all of 30 minutes when nooby reported the "play" icon on the desktop was broken (among several other things). Again, fortuitously, it was early enough in the day for me to do a rebuild.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jim3630

#227 Post by jim3630 »

01micko wrote:hi jim3630

Many slacko pets will not likely work in lucid because of the later versions of gtk/gdk/cairo/pango/pixman.
hi 01micko even un-installed slacko pets seems can be bad medicine in lucid.

tasmod

#228 Post by tasmod »

F-Prot and Xfprot.

Sorry guys, I missed a directory in F-prot so Xfprot errored out with binary not found. It was a path issue.

New version of F-prot further back replacing the incorrect version.

Xfprot is OK. BUT please remember to run 'F2 Update' button for latest definitions first.

Please test. Thanks.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tempestuous

#229 Post by tempestuous »

playdayz wrote:Should Three-Headed Dog try to accommodate more drivers and firmware, even to the extent of growing by 5MB?
playdayz, it's really a question of WHAT additional drivers are available, and which should be included.
The vendor-provided Ralink and Realtek wifi drivers are prime candidates for inclusion in Puppy ....
but the separate dotpets of these drivers that I provided for Puppy 5.1 to 5.2.8 required extensive testing by various forum members before I knew which particular driver versions worked, and which didn't.
The vendor-supplied Ralink rt3070sta driver - version 2.3.0.1, for example, works really well with the 2.6.33.2 kernel in Puppy 5.1 to 5.2.8. But it took months of of trial and error before we worked this out. And it's a messy situation - this driver claims an overlapping range of device ID's already claimed by the standard rt2870sta and rt2800usb drivers already in Puppy.

Now that we're dealing with a new kernel in Puppy 529, it's uncertain whether this driver is still the best option, or whether the more recent vendor-supplied rt3370sta driver will be best, or whether the standard rt2800usb driver is now stable and the vendor-supplied driver is unnecessary! There are just too many question marks, so I think the Ralink and Realtek third-party wifi drivers should remain separate driver dotpets.

So my suggestions for additional drivers are just these important two:

- There's a new Broadcom wifi driver in the 2.6.37.6 kernel which you didn't enable, and I think it should be.
It's called brcm80211 and it's in the "staging" section of the kernel configuration.
This will require additional firmware, which I can source for you.
Hopefully this will fix the problem of modern Broadcom wifi devices not working with the standard b43 driver, and the proprietary "wl" driver will no longer be a necessary last resort.

- "Fusion" SCSI interface support.
For many years Puppy has included extensive SCSI interface support, but a glaring omission has been "Fusion MPT" SCSI support, mainly for SCSI interfaces by LSI. These are found on Dell PowerEdge servers, for example; one of the most common SCSI-equipped computers on the market. The kernel configuration option I'm referring to is found at:
Device Drivers > Fusion MPT device support
Enabling this option will change the kernel image slightly, and it will then offer the option of adding 3 (necessary) kernel modules:
mptspi
mptfc
mptsas

playdayz

#230 Post by playdayz »

Three-Headed Dog Version 2 Take 2 is posted in the first message of this thread. Thank you.

Jim1911

#231 Post by Jim1911 »

Version 2 is working fine with all my normal applications.

Only problem I've had was in trying to install NVIDIA-Linux-x86-280.13. I get a message "The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.5) does not exactly match the current compiler (gcc 4.4)." I ignored the warning and installed it, however, the driver cannot be selected.

EDIT: I installed nvidia-275.09.07-k2.6.37.6-spup.pet which I had been using with 5.2.9. It appeared to install properly, and when I checked the NVIDIA X Server Settings I discovered that the 280.13 driver was loaded instead. Not necessarily a recommended procedure but it worked. However, glxgears provides an error message:
sh-4.1# glxgears
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
sh-4.1#

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(58.53 KiB) Downloaded 1322 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 19:06, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#232 Post by pemasu »

Well. Barry recently recommended to use kernels compiled in the distro where it will be used. He warned about gcc problems if you use kernel compiled in other distro. Gcc is sensitive for version used at kernel compile time. If the used distro have different gcc version than compiled one, you might get verbose warnings. Kernel module drivers will be problematic then...at least at compile time you get warning.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#233 Post by jim3630 »

frugal manual hdd install to ext4. pfix=ram as usual. sometimes don't mention that but do it on all my installs. installed broadcom pet for my troublesome wl.ko driver. needed frisbee again to make wifi connect. neither sns or connection wizard worked. sm 2.3 lucid525 pet installed and it updated itself to 2.3.3. without issue.

from the failed sns and connection wizard

Information about this interface:
Interface: eth1 Driver: wl Bus: pci MacAddress: AC:81:12:1D:A9:5E
Description: x

STEP1a: ifconfig eth1 up
STEP1b: iwlist eth1 scan
eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:19:E4:4B:D3:19
ESSID:"2WIRE789"
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
Quality:5/5 Signal level:-54 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Cell 02 - Address: 98:2C:BE:A6:C6:21
ESSID:"2WIRE393"
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
Quality:0/5 Signal level:-92 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
STEP1c: ifconfig eth1 down
STEP2: iwconfig eth1 mode managed
STEP3: iwconfig eth1 channel 10
STEP4: iwconfig eth1 essid "2WIRE789"
STEP5: iwconfig eth1 key restricted 9xxxxxxxxxxx
STEP5a: ifconfig eth1 up

ERROR, TIMEOUT. Have not got an Access Point.
Result of 'iwconfig eth1':
eth1 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:72 Mb/s Tx-Power:24 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Managementmode:All packets received
Link Quality=5/5 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=-34 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

STEP5: iwconfig eth1 key open 9977453890
STEP5a: ifconfig eth1 up

ERROR, TIMEOUT. Have not got an Access Point.
Result of 'iwconfig eth1':
eth1 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:72 Mb/s Tx-Power:24 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Managementmode:All packets received
Link Quality=5/5 Signal level=0 dBm Noise level=-34 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

LAST 10 LINES of /var/log/messages:
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.warn kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 200x56
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.info kernel: fb0: inteldrmfb frame buffer device
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.info kernel: drm: registered panic notifier
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.info kernel: acpi device:02: registered as cooling_device2
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.info kernel: input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input10
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.info kernel: ACPI: Video Device [GFX0] (multi-head: yes rom: no post: no)
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.info kernel: [drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
Sep 17 18:49:00 puppypc user.info kernel: HDMI hot plug event: Pin=6 Presence_Detect=1 ELD_Valid=0
Sep 16 12:49:25 puppypc user.notice powerapplet: Abort, no /proc/apm or acpi/info
Sep 16 12:49:27 puppypc user.notice powerapplet: Abort, no /proc/apm or acpi/info

Sage

#234 Post by Sage »

'New' nomenclature is misleading. Why not just call it Cerberus? Perhaps it could sign on with 'woof woof' at three different pitches?

Iguleder

#235 Post by Iguleder »

You can always use Slacko to build drivers. The routine is simple.

1) Extract the devx using unsquashfs and the main SFS.

Code: Select all

unsquashfs devx_slacko_4.99.4.sfs -d devx

unsquashfs puppy_slacko_4.99.4.sfs -d sfs
2) Put both in the same directory or use Aufs - the former is simpler, just copy one above the other. Make sure /bin/busybox is indeed Busybox and not ar; if it is, replace it with the Busybox binary from the extracted SFS.

3) Bind the host's file systems.

for i in dev proc sys
do
    mount --bind /$i ./sfs/$i
done
This will make sure you can use it to build without any proc-related or device node problems.

4) Show time.

chroot ./sfs
Now you have a shell that thinks it's running within Slacko, while you run another Puppy. You have Slacko's compiler, C library and whatever - you can even run some graphical applications :lol:

You can use this environment to build extra drivers, without even having to reboot.

Good luck! :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

playdayz

#236 Post by playdayz »

jim3630, I found that it was the Seamonkey-2.3-lucid525 pet that caused the problem yesterday--for some reason I forget I had put a newer but not the newest libgconf in the Seamonkey pet, and the libgconf in Version 2 sees it as old. Anyway. I would uninstall seamonkey and reinstall this one--even though it updated, those libs are still there.

Seamonkey 2.3.3 ->
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... cid525.pet

It is a good thing to frequently update the index to pet-packages-lucid in PPM. Just open Quickpet then More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM. This new Seamonkey 2.3.3 is there now along with Iron 13.
EDIT: I installed nvidia-275.09.07-k2.6.37.6-spup.pet which I had been using with 5.2.9. It appeared to install properly, and when I checked the NVIDIA X Server Settings I discovered that the 280.13 driver was loaded instead. Not necessarily a recommended procedure but it worked. However, glxgears provides an error message:
jim1911, Thanks. I had hoped to leverage the Nvidia drivers from Slacko, but I am about to post the 3HDV2T2 devx in the first message, so it should be possible to compile them in 3HD. Also I am about to retest the ATI fglrx driver from Slacko--it worked last time I tested. More soon.

Good news for ATI users. The Slacko ATI fglrx driver is working for me on my middling old HD 3850. I downloaded the pet and followed the instructions. You can chack by running glxgears in a terminal or by Hardinfo -> Display and scroll to the bottom to see the Direct Rendering.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 37.6-s.pet

Xorg_High also works for ATI cards--it is open source and a bit slower than the proprietary driver. Xorg-High should work with everything but Nvidia. Perhaps someone with an Nvidia card could test and see if Xorg_High with Nviida is still wonky and caused slow screen display and something bad trying to watch youtube videos.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -Lucid.pet

Thanks pemasu, iguleder, and everyone, I am going to decompress and think for a bit now. The devx and kernel sources are posted in the first message so it should be possible to compile the Nviida drivers in 3HD. Another possibility is to update some of the backend in 3HD. Also I will be making an acpi pet for testing.

And finally, more good news. Macpup 5.2.8 is released today.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68761
Congratulations to Prit and runtt21 for a great one!

One more thing and then I shut up. Don't forget to check out the advanced multimedia in 3HD. Mplayer is built with an 0.8.2 ffmpeg from 10 days ago so it is about as new as can be, plus Pmusic 2.0.2 was just released day before yesterday!

Last edited by playdayz on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#237 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:jim3560, I found that it was the Seamonkey-2.3-lucid525 pet that caused the problem

playdayz jim3560 is my cousin. uninstalled sm and installed new sm without issue.

playdayz

#238 Post by playdayz »

pemasu, To your knowledge are there any advanced kernels that were compiled in Lucid? Thanks.

For the brave of heart, an upgrade from libstdc++6-4.4 to 4.5. I was surprised that it installed without crashing everything ;-) So far it seems backward compatible, but please remember, this is all experimental. If it works that would be one more step towards Slacko compatibility. Thanks.

jim3630

#239 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:pemasu, To your knowledge are there any advanced kernels that were compiled in Lucid? Thanks.

For the brave of heart, an upgrade from libstdc++6-4.4 to 4.5. I was surprised that it installed without crashing everything ;-) So far it seems backward compatible, but please remember, this is all experimental. If it works that would be one more step towards Slacko compatibility. Thanks.
installed rebooted briefly ran mplayer vidio, mtpaint, and sm 2.3.3. all worked without issue

majorfoo

Three-Headed Dog Version 2 Take 2 - Sep 16 2011

#240 Post by majorfoo »

I did not have any problems with 3HD001, however, I d/l new luci-001
and did full install

sound ok
auto connected to internet on first boot, second boot, third boot
installed new seamonkey-2.3.3-lucid - works great

added following from my save partition
abiword 2.90
xorg_high-1.1
xscreensaver-5.14