Slacko B2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#181 Post by Lobster »

I am posting from Links right now (text mode browser). I might even include this.. it makes Slacko useful even if you can't get X, there is also a tiny script by going-nuts that works for IRC chat, it's brilliant stuff!
No flash, no javascript, no XUL, no pdf - it might just be secure enough for the tin foil hat Puppy brigade. 8)

Not getting x is a problem I do not have BUT . . .
just tried to change the resolution - there is a nice changer
and you do not have to leave x . . .
Did not work. So I ran alsawizard, I was trying to go from 1024x1028
to 1024x786 (both supported in Lucid and every Puppy)
The test induced the Puppy void or BSOD
Turned off the computer and on the reboot I was in 1024x786.
So supported but not viewable by the 'probe' of xorgwizard

Oh and Arachne . . .
Sage is right, I believe the developer still has a site providing the older code.
http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=arachne
The developer was I believe thinking about developing a Linux version before the buy out.
Run it with FreeDos
http://www.freedos.org/ on that 386 that Puppy will not run on . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Billtoo

#182 Post by Billtoo »

Lobster wrote:
I am posting from Links right now (text mode browser). I might even include this.. it makes Slacko useful even if you can't get X, there is also a tiny script by going-nuts that works for IRC chat, it's brilliant stuff!
Oh and Arachne . . .
Sage is right, I believe the developer still has a site providing the older code.
http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=arachne
The developer was I believe thinking about developing a Linux version before the buy out.
Run it with FreeDos
http://www.freedos.org/ on that 386 that Puppy will not run on . . .
Seems to run in dosbox, real slow on a dual core machine, don't know if it actually works though.

01micko

#183 Post by 01micko »

Abiword 2.9.1

UUgghhh.. what a mission.. :roll:

Tried Ted, quickly discounted Ted.. it hasn't been developed in over 2 years so isn't compatible with the newer gtk/gdk/cairo/png libs. I got it to run, too many critical errors, plus it only opens .rtf.

Now abiword seems to depend on boost c++ libraries. There is a configure option "--with-boost=no" but it seems boost is now part of the core of abiword.. So with that I compiled the opendocument plugin which requires boost anyway. I did this very fastidiously! Every error in make I added only the required part of boost, it's still a 15M installed package (better than over 100M :roll: :o :shock: ).. thankfully none of the shared libs are needed so this is only a requirement for the devx, I got the compressed size down to under 1M. Yes, all this for a second rate WP. There is no real alternative considering size. As far as my testing goes, it opens .rtf, .doc, .odt, .abw that's all I use, and I don't use abiword anyway.

Here it is..

Abiword 2.7M

(dev doc nls)

Boost libraries (only for devs) 914K

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gnumeric 1.10.17

I find gnumeric a pleasure to use.. how can two horses from the same stable differ so? :?

Gnumeric 3.5M

(dev doc nls)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#184 Post by Sage »

Arachne has to be taken in context. At that time there were few alternatives except JANET. It was a real breakthrough. Since it fitted on FDD s, probably a lot that Mozilla could learn?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#185 Post by Lobster »

UUgghhh..
When I loaded the b2 Abiword, only a bit of the page would display . . .
some was greyed out. (this was only on the initial load - resize the window and it went). The new compile has fixed this. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

peebee

Just a thought

#186 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

Just a thought from somebody who doesn't really know what he's talking about ....

Have you considered the approach being tried by pemasu in exprimo?

i.e. provide the office software as a separate sfs but included in the iso image - maybe load such an sfs automatically on first boot to help newbies - but people could then replace the provided sfs with the office suite of their choice (and size). The iso provided suite might not be the latest - just the smallest "usable". Your new Abiword/Gnumeric might be the provided one or might be an sfs for later installation? You could also use the same model for browers? If the iso seems "too big" you could offer 2 versions with or without the extra sfs's?

The only problem pemasu has encountered that I know of on exprimo is how to set defaultspreadsheet and defaultwordprocessor as the sfs is loaded (he's fixed the right click / mime association OK) but the set defaults utility can be used post loading the sfs to do this.

As I say - just a thought - I'm probably talking through the top of my hat...

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#187 Post by 01micko »

Actually peebee I have considered that approach. It is on the drawing board :wink: . (won't be in the final this time though)

I think that the browser and office stuff should be in a zdrv (or even xdrv) that gets automatically loaded. I have mentioned this before.

It would be a great idea.

---

In other news, I have revamped my old "help-NOX" proggy, just need to make a connection wizard that works outside X. This will help guys like raffy who can't get vesa going but apparently the latest radeon proprietary driver works on his HW. It's invoked by just yelling "HELP" in console mode (cli). going-nuts (forum member) made a great irc client that is only a few K.. it's in. Links can be downloaded and also the video driver test can happen outside X and an appropriate video driver downloaded.

Sage

#188 Post by Sage »

Originally, boot-up left us at the prompt. It was necessary to type startx (Puppy: xwin) - but nobody was going to tell you what to type (I read it in the Sybex 'Complete Linux' manual, but it was omitted in most of the other texts, and, of course, if you couldn't start X, it was rather difficult to access Google because neither it nor Links emerged for another decade!)
This has now been refined eg in System Recovery, which is designed to permit a much wider range of options, the most popular is almost certainly 'remove XP password', which is performed at the CLI with a series of instructions that the proverbial six-year old could follow. Startx, as well as a plethora of other possibilities are displayed, with explicit instructions.
Can't see why this approach isn't used with Puppy? [Is that a double negative? But it seems right?]. Surely some basic, easy to follow options at the prompt consume far less code than eg tazoc or johnbiles' extensive range of setup options displayed inside a GUI - to which many folks will never aspire, what with the proprietary antics of Novell, nV & Intel, whose main aim is leverage (read $$$) and FUD.

peebee

#189 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:I think that the browser and office stuff should be in a zdrv (or even xdrv) that gets automatically loaded. I have mentioned this before.

It would be a great idea.
Hi Mick

My two penny worth is that calling it zdrv or xdrv rather obscures what is on there - I certainly don't really understand - I'd prefer separate sfs's for each type of add-on / replaceable facility.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DaveS

#190 Post by DaveS »

Currently hardinfo/sensors displays nothing. If I run 'modprobe coretemp', I get output in hardinfo/sensors so I guess I need some way of loading coretemp automatically?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#191 Post by nooby »

DaveS wrote:Currently hardinfo/sensors displays nothing. If I run 'modprobe coretemp', I get output in hardinfo/sensors so I guess I need some way of loading coretemp automatically?
Sorry me so extremely lazy. I should have tested on Slacko too
but I usually only use the old Snow Puppy 5 that I have getting used to.
I do have Snow 20 and Polarpup 5 and Ice and so on installed too
but only use Snow 5.

In Snow 5 what works is CPUtemp.pet so maybe Mick knows
if that one works for Slacko? is it wrong kernel maybe?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#192 Post by DaveS »

nooby wrote:
DaveS wrote:Currently hardinfo/sensors displays nothing. If I run 'modprobe coretemp', I get output in hardinfo/sensors so I guess I need some way of loading coretemp automatically?
Sorry me so extremely lazy. I should have tested on Slacko too
but I usually only use the old Snow Puppy 5 that I have getting used to.
I do have Snow 20 and Polarpup 5 and Ice and so on installed too
but only use Snow 5.

In Snow 5 what works is CPUtemp.pet so maybe Mick knows
if that one works for Slacko? is it wrong kernel maybe?
CPUtemp works fine in Slacko :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

zigbert

#193 Post by zigbert »

Mick
Pburn has trouble in Slacko Beta 2
You should read this

nooby

#194 Post by nooby »

"CPUtemp works fine in Slacko" yes I got curious and tested it and it sure does. On my Netbook it show 47C not sure what that is in F.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#195 Post by 01micko »

if you put "modprobe coretemp" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local that should be a decent work around. Thanks.

EDIT: that doesn't work for me, "no such device".

----

Also, I have found a script by fanthom (slax/porteus dev) that, when puppyfied, it will connect to wireless/wired networks from outside X, which is rather cool. It supports WEP/WPA/WPA2, also Adhoc,dhcpcd or static IP, but not ndiswrapper. Who needs X? :lol:
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#196 Post by DaveS »

nooby wrote:"CPUtemp works fine in Slacko" yes I got curious and tested it and it sure does. On my Netbook it show 47C not sure what that is in F.
Ha ha.. divide by 5, multiply by 9, and add 32! 116.6 deg F.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#197 Post by nooby »

Do you mean like this?

Code: Select all

#this file called from rc.sysinit
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
modprobe evdev

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi
modprobe evdev 
modprobe coretemp
Edit Yes that worked. The Hardware info and Sensors showed 45C
Have not tested in urxvt though
Last edited by nooby on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#198 Post by 01micko »

nooby wrote:Do you mean like this?

Code: Select all

#you can edit this file
modprobe evdev

fi
modprobe evdev 
modprobe coretemp
or should one take away the evdev or do like this

#you can edit this file
modprobe evdev

fi
modprobe evdev coretemp
or like this modprobe evdev, coretemp
yes, the first one [code :wink: ]
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 16 Sep 2011, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#199 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:if you put "modprobe coretemp" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local that should be a decent work around. Thanks.
Works fine on my lappy thanks.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#200 Post by 01micko »

Dave, did you try abiword and gnumeric?