changing monitor refresh rate?

Booting, installing, newbie
newuser

changing monitor refresh rate?

#1 Post by newuser »

how do i change this? default is 60Hz. it is killing my eyes.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Mine too, on a CRT. Don't notice it on an LCD.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

With the Xvesa Kdrive X server, we are stuck with it.

GuestToo was exploring some technique that maybe could change refresh rate, but so far we have nothing.
Xvesa is small, which is why we use it, as does Damn Small and others.

Some day, though, we'll migrate to something more adjustable.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Here's the Xvesa Man page.
Xvesa was written mainly for handhelds, which use LCD screens where flicker isn't a consideration.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i did look at the problem, but didn't do very much, mostly because my machine doesn't have a problem ... it does not run at 60hz (i can't stand crt's running at 60hz)

i think you can boot DOS, run a DOS program to set the refresh rate, then boot Puppy using loadlin or gujin, and it's supposed to keep the refresh rate

as an alternative, Xfree or other X drivers could be used ... i wondered whether the Xfree version used by XOAF or SImpleLinux (?) ... X windows on a floppy ... would work with Puppy ... but i haven't tried to get it to work yet

mouldy

#6 Post by mouldy »

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3182

Found this interesting article. Dont know that product would do any good.

Also found copy of a dos prog called UniRefresh 1.42

Tiny prog so uploading if anybody wants to try it. Is GuestToo saying DOS settings of video refresh wouldnt be changed if done before loadlin loads Puppy? Can somebody provide little more detail how this would work? Why arent settings changed after Puppy boots?

newuser

#7 Post by newuser »

i once used sci-tech display doctor long ago, with my computer that im trying to run puppy on.

i dont remember if i ran into any problems changing the refresh rate..it's been too long ago.

we used to run games in dos, and it used the refresh rate scitech had set in dos....as for puppy, i dont know if it will take the refresh rate changed in dos mode..i have not tried it yet.

mouldy

#8 Post by mouldy »

The Sci-tech prog mentioned in the article is a linux version! I didnt go try and look it up to see if its even still available or applicable to Puppy's video setup.

UniRefresh which I uploaded for anybody to try is supposed to be more advanced than DOS version of Sci-tech one. I didnt try it though if I bother to look up exact info on my monitor, guess it would be fairly easy since I use loadlin to boot Puppy. Could even maybe include it on a boot floppy to experiment?