Macpup first impressions and question

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
KBD47

Macpup first impressions and question

#1 Post by KBD47 »

I like Macpup 525. I have had a couple issues with it. A big issue is that twice now on shutdown it has gone to prompt instead of saving my session to a save file as it had been doing. And I have not been able to figure out how to get macpup to place apps on the icon tray, and I removed an empty box on my desktop that appears to have also removed my Chromium browser when I minimize the window for it. As I said, I like it, but seems a big learning curve so far. I was finally able to get the system tray on the desktop as I had been unable to control the volume. So I need to know if there is a way to fix the bug about shutdown, which either takes me to prompt or restarts macpup. And how to get apps in the shelves/trays.
Thanks!
KBD
PS--using macpup from a 2gig usb.

KBD47

#2 Post by KBD47 »

So there is no way to add apps beyond a select few to the dock on macpup? I'm not finding anything on google searches or in this forum. The dock is useless if I can't add apps like Chromium to it.
KBD

pacer106

#3 Post by pacer106 »

This is a link to the guide for enlightenment (e-17)

http://hardkap.net/forums/topic/e17-guide

Most things can be found there for adding & removing just about everything.

There is a macpup 525 thread in puppy derivatives with other info & links that might help.

KBD47

#4 Post by KBD47 »

Well I found the simple answer--just drag the icon from the menu onto the dock. And drag it off to remove it. Found that mentioned in a review of macpup. Now I just need to figure out how to get my window to show up someplace on the desktop when I minimize it.
Thanks.
KBD

runtt21

#5 Post by runtt21 »

By default mp525 will show minimized apps as icons on the right side of the screen. Right now my e17 guide is the best place to get info on setting up and using macpup. guide

You can adjust sound by using the alsa mixer menu-applications-mulitmedia ,By adding either the mixer gadget or the systray to the shelf. They work better there than just on the desktop.

As for your shutdown issue How did you install it to the usb? How is the usb formatted? Did you md5sum check your download of the .iso ?

KBD47

#6 Post by KBD47 »

I think what happened with the bugginess was that it started after I ran the update for 528 to get the better version of Chromium. It would go to restart or to prompt on shutdown the first couple of times after I did the update, but thankfully it seems to have worked itself out.
I did drag alsamixer down to the dock so I could control volume. I ended up having to delete my macpup save file and start over to get my icons to show up when minimized on the right panel. I must have accidentally deleted that panel earlier.
Thanks for the suggestions!
KBD

runtt21

#7 Post by runtt21 »

I ran the update for 528
Hold off on doing this. We will be releasing Macpup 528 soon.

KBD47

#8 Post by KBD47 »

I already installed it and it made macpup a bit buggy first couple of shutdowns but now works fine.
KBD

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

A big issue is that twice now on shutdown it has gone to prompt instead of saving my session to a save file as it had been doing.
If this happens you can run the poweroff and shutdown commands manually , too : like 'xwin' type 'reboot' .

The puppy shutdown and reboot are scripts , to ensure pup_event_fronedend_d gets closed ,
which would only appear in the "jwm window/desktop-manager" , not in the e17 ,
kill the Xserver and most important to
run the /etc/rc.d/shutdown script , which would create the save-file ;
if two/three conditions are given : 1.: PUPMODE=5 and 2.: PEDEV1 != ""[not empty] && DEV1FS != ""[not empty] .

The configuration file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE holds some important variables and gets created at
boot by the script /init inside /initrd.gz .
Important to know might be , that if you boot like a full installation with "root=/dev/sda1" ,
puppy boots fine because the right PATH to the files are mentioned from grub to the desired Puppy-OS kernel ,
but if the "pdev1=sda1" [ sda2 or sdb1 or whatever partition you have installed it to ] is not given ,
the entry in the PUPSTATE file would look like this :

PUPMODE=12 #12 for normal installation to internal HD with mounted save-file
PDEV1=''
DEV1FS=''

PUPSFS='sda4,ntfs,/JUMP-4/pup-430.sfs'
PUPSAVE='sda4,ntfs,/JUMP-4/pupsave-onSDA4_1.2fs'
PMEDIA=''

If i would run pfix=ram and PUPMODE=5 and do not manually insert "sda4" and "ntfs" in PUPSTATE Puppy would not create a save-file at normal shutdown/poweroff/reboot .

KBD47

#10 Post by KBD47 »

Thanks!

runtt21

#11 Post by runtt21 »

which would only appear in the "jwm window/desktop-manager" , not in the e17 ,
In a stock e17 build that is correct. Macpup has a costume exit menu with the correct scripts. Has since we started using e17 years ago.