WkPup2x: Booting Puppy 2.02 from USB via PCMCIA USB2 adapter

News, happenings
pakt

WkPup2x: Booting Puppy 2.02 from USB via PCMCIA USB2 adapter

#1 Post by pakt »

ADDED INFO: With WkPup2x v0.2, a special version of WakePup2, you can boot puppy from USB devices attached to a PCMCIA USB2 adapter in your laptop. Useful if you laptop doesn't have USB ports or just to speed up booting if the built-in laptop ports are only USB1.

You can boot from floppy or, if your laptop supports it, boot from CD. Images for for download are below.

Good news! Barry has added the boot option 'pfix=usbcard' in Puppy 2.02, so you don't need to download a special version of initrd.gz any more to be able to boot your USB pen drive from a PCMCIA USB2 adapter in your laptop.

I have now updated WkPup2x to v0.2 with the new boot option syntax. There are two files:

- wkpup2x-02-img.zip is the packed 1.44MB floppy image
- wkpup2x-02-iso.zip is the packed CD iso file (note that the burned CD will appear empty since the files are in the CD's boot tracks)

Just copy initrd.gz, pup_xxx.sfs and vmlinuz from the Puppy 2.02 CD (plus an empty marker file USBFLASH) to a FAT16-formated USB pen drive, plug it into the PCMCIA USB2 adapter and boot from either the WkPup2x floppy or CD. The floppy image can also be used with a GRUB menu to boot the USB pen from the harddisk.

Here is a link to the original discussion: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8913

Enjoy!
Paul
Attachments
wkpup2x-02-iso.zip
The WkPup2x v0.2 CD iso file
(135.84 KiB) Downloaded 1995 times
wkpup2x-02-img.zip
The WkPup2x v0.2 floppy disk image
(135.11 KiB) Downloaded 4018 times
Last edited by pakt on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 16:39, edited 6 times in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Ah...thanks. You noticed, I was thrashing a little there.

pakt

#3 Post by pakt »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Ah...thanks. You noticed, I was thrashing a little there.
You're welcome, and thanks for your support efforts on the forum. Great to have pups like you ;)

Sit Heel Speak

#4 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

pakt wrote:You're welcome, and thanks for your support efforts on the forum. Great to have pups like you ;)
Yes, well, I wasn't always this much of a saint. But then I found out, if I do not "pay forward" what has been done for me in new(-to-me) territory, then some sly Swede will trip me up every time. I must've been Norwegian in a previous life. Either Norwegian, or a herring. :)

Dewbie

#5 Post by Dewbie »

(Edited 8/13/2012)
Here's a .pet of WkPup2x v0.2, originally compiled by Crash, with the following revision:

NOIMAGE, a gtkdialog patch created by 01micko and modified by Crash.
This allows the WakePup create boot floppy menu option to work with newer Puppy versions.
(The nc file-name suffix means noimage, version c.)
Attachments
wkpup2x-02nc.pet
The WkPup2x v0.2nc .pet
(138.29 KiB) Downloaded 547 times