Puppy 5.28 in Toshiba laptop: video and wireless problems

Booting, installing, newbie
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

joe0855 wrote:Thanks guys!

Okay, my wireless is working like a champ using the 8192ce driver (found fix at: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... c9f13b95c3).

As for audio:
1 - When I click on 'Menu... Multimedia... Alsamixer', a small window flashes up on my screen for 1 second and then disappears.
2 - There's no speaker on the bottom right-hand corner by my clock.
3 - When I click on 'Console' to open up Roxterm and type in 'alsaconf', the Alsa Wizard opens, builds the drive database, but then reports '... no device found'.
4 - An Alsa Wizard windows then pops up and reports that 'No supported Pnp or PCI card found. Would you like to probe legacy ISA sound cards/chip?'. When I click yes and go thru the options, it ultimately reports, 'no legacy cards found'.
5 - Also tried clicking on 'Menu... Setup... Alsa Sound Wizard' but get same results as step 4.
This looks like your install of Puppy is not good.
With a good install you should not be having these problems.
Where ever you install Puppy, make sure it is a clean location.
Ideally a freshly made and formatted partition.

Sound issues in Lucid Puppy 5.2.8;
go to menu->help->LupuNews help
Follow the info about sound problems.

32Bit operating system programs will not work in a 64Bit operating system and 64Bit will not work in 32Bit systems.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

joe0855

#22 Post by joe0855 »

Thanks Bigpup. So, is it safe to say that if I boot up using the Puppy 5.2.8 CD, I should get sound?

Booting up with the CD, I still don't get audio. I also following the same steps (below) as I did with my 5.2.5-to-5.2.8 upgrade:
1 - When I click on 'Menu... Multimedia... Alsamixer', a small window flashes up on my screen for 1 second and then disappears.
3 - When I click on 'Console' to open up Roxterm and type in 'alsaconf', the Alsa Wizard opens, builds the drive database, but then reports '... no device found'.
4 - An Alsa Wizard windows then pops up and reports that 'No supported Pnp or PCI card found. Would you like to probe legacy ISA sound cards/chip?'. When I click yes and go thru the options, it ultimately reports, 'no legacy cards found'.
5 - Also tried clicking on 'Menu... Setup... Alsa Sound Wizard' but get same results as step 4

Still no audio (let alone the XGA resolution and no wireless). Wireless is fixed as soon as I install the 'r8192ce_pci-k2.6.33.2.pet' and load up the module. While video at my native resolution would be nice (1366x768), I can live with XGA. Is there a thread on how to create drivers?

cthisbear

#23 Post by cthisbear »

It would have been nice if someone could give me a work around
for Puppy 5.28

" Sound >> Intel Corp 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition

Toshiba Satellite C665 ( PSC2EA-01H00E )

Any chance of a Pet made from 5.29...or work around.
Such as me booting 5.29 and copying some files. "

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=225

"""""""""""""

Fat Dog64.....fails for wireless network.

Slacko...boots straight to desktop...no wireless.

Wary513 ...not expecting anything...4 olderhardware,
but you can't beat Uncle Barry...because the sound worked
and Xorg did not bug out....unlike some others.
But no wireless.

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.6...
does see the connection
sees wlan0...wireless router blinking, but that's all folks.

Chris.

bigpup

#24 Post by bigpup »

Booting up with the CD, I still don't get audio. I also following the same steps (below) as I did with my 5.2.5-to-5.2.8 upgrade:
To make sure you are running a clean boot with the CD.
At the boot screen hit F2 key
use option puppy pfix=ram
This keeps the CD boot from using any save files.

Are you sure your burned CD of Lucid 528 is good?
Good download of 528 and good burn to CD?
If you try to run alsamixer it should at least run.
Wireless is fixed as soon as I install the 'r8192ce_pci-k2.6.33.2.pet' and load up the module.
That is because this driver is not preinstalled in Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 It does not have every possible driver in the 528 iso file.
While video at my native resolution would be nice (1366x768), I can live with XGA.
The basic drivers in Lucid Puppy 528 do not provide this resolution. I have the same problem but can use 1280X800 and it works OK.

On desktop. run quickpet->drivers->click here to test your graphics card.
What does it say?
YaPI(any iso installer)

joe0855

#25 Post by joe0855 »

Thx Bigpup,
To make sure you are running a clean boot with the CD.
At the boot screen hit F2 key
use option puppy pfix=ram
This keeps the CD boot from using any save files.
Bypassed any possibility of a pupsave file being loaded (good idea), but still no change with audio. When I click on 'Menu... Multimedia... Alsamixer', a small window still flashes up on my screen for 1 second and then disappears. Also still no speaker on the bottom right-hand corner by my clock.
Are you sure your burned CD of Lucid 528 is good?
Good download of 528 and good burn to CD?
Aside from using the included Toshiba CD/DVD Burner SW that came with Windows 7 and verifying the ISO burn, how could I check if my Lucid 528 copy is good (downloaded directly from Puppy 5.2.8 iBiblio)?
On desktop. run quickpet->drivers->click here to test your graphics card.
What does it say?
It says...'For your Intel video card, Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) we think the best add on driver is Xorg_High. It would be required for some programs and games with high graphical content and your desktop might seem a bit more snappy. Your selection should be below or there are other versions in PPM and Quickpet '.

So I installed the Xorg High pet and restarted X-server ('Menu... Shutdown... Restart X Server). Then I went into 'Menu... Setup.. Xorg Video Wizard' and clicked on the 'Resolution Changer' button but the only choices were 800x600 and 1024x768.

Then I tried 'XorgWizard' (also in the 'Xorg Video Wizard' window). Whether I choose 'Probe', 'Xorg', or 'Vesa', I'm still stuck at 1024x768, but here is where I lose the ability to tap on my touchpad to select or 'click' on something. Mouse pointer is also slower on the touchpad.

Hope this helps, thanks again.

bigpup

#26 Post by bigpup »

joe0855,

Looking at the spec's of your computer. You have one of the Intel processors that has the graphics integrated in the processor.
Lucid Puppy 528 is using some older versions of Linux core programs and Linux kernel.
It is probably giving you the best support it can.
Puppy in general is just staring to catch up to this new hardware, so support is a little spotty at present.
Probably need a really new Intel video driver to support video in this processor.
Have to search around for that one.

I am a user like you and not a developer for Puppy. I am giving you my best guess of what I have seen happening with this new hardware.

The audio is probably the same issue. Too new hardware.

Have you tried the multiple sound card wizard?
menu->setup->Multiple Sound Card Wizard.
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#27 Post by cthisbear »

" The audio is probably the same issue. Too new hardware. "

But works in Wary 5.13...no problems.

Same with the video...no problems.

Other Puppies...it can be horrid with video.
You need work arounds.

Can I pinch files from Wary to use in Puppy 5.28??

"""""""

" Have you tried the multiple sound card wizard?
menu->setup->Multiple Sound Card Wizard. "

If sound device not there
>> Intel Corp 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition

Multiple Sound Card Wizard fails.

Thanks bigpup.

As this is still Core Duo I did not think that these Toshiba laptops
would have the video on the chip???

Chris.

bigpup

#28 Post by bigpup »

cthisbear ,

My comments where directed to joe0855 and his computer.
You are highjacking this post and need to make a separate topic about your problem.
It is very hard to talk about two different systems.
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#29 Post by cthisbear »

" It is very hard to talk about two different systems. "

Sorry BP.
I thought they were the exact same laptops.
On rereading the Toshiba site>>>>I sees the error of my ways.

Apologies....Chris.

Diggs

#30 Post by Diggs »

joe0855 wrote: 1 - When I click on 'Menu... Multimedia... Alsamixer', a small window flashes up on my screen for 1 second and then disappears.
I'm running 5.2.8 with a Sound Blaster Live PCI card and I have the same flash of the alsamixer and it is gone. Happened to me on three installs on two machines so I think there is more to it than a bad install. Never could get alsamixer working.

joe0855

#31 Post by joe0855 »

Hey Bigpup,

In response to your last question:
Have you tried the multiple sound card wizard?
menu->setup->Multiple Sound Card Wizard.
A window popped open called, "Choose which sound card to make the default", however the window is empty. The only choices are 'Ok' and 'Cancel'.

I realize that my Toshiba Satellite L755-S5216 is probably too new to support at this time. I've been hooked on Puppy since 4.3.1 and it worked just fine with a Dell Latitude D600 (company-owned) and my wife's Gateway MT6709 (older laptops). Looking forward to future support on my new laptop and I'm willing to help out in that effort. How easy (or hard) is it to create your own driver pets?

Thanks again to all in the effort!

playdayz

#32 Post by playdayz »

Just for S&Gs, tried Fatdog64 (520). With this Puppy derivative, I get:
- video at the native resolution
- sound
- wireless LAN

Aside from the 64-bit architecture, what's the difference between Fatdog64 and 5.2.8? Is there any way to transfer HW drivers into 5.2.8 from Fatdog64?
joe0855, If Fatdog is working well, then I would say, use it! It's an excellent version of Puppy and probably the fastest because it is 64 bit.. HW drivers usually depend on the particular kernel version, so it is unlikely to be able to transfer them.

You might try 5.2.8 and also try Three-Headed Dog. If sound is not present on boot, then 1) right-click on the volume icon if it exists or run alsamixer. F5 in alsamixer will show what cards are detected. If you card is detected turn up all the volumes, master, pcm, front, etc. If this doesn't work then 2) run the Alsa wizard. If that doesn't work then use fatdog.

We don't have the resources of the big distros--one compensation is that we have several different versions and if one doesn't work, another might.

You might also try Slacko which is being developed as Puppy 5.3. If your sound does not work with Slacko then you would be doing a favor to report that in the Slacko development thread. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71425

joe0855

#33 Post by joe0855 »

Thanks Playdayz, I will check out Slacko.

I do like Fatdog a lot, and my HW is supported, however I have some 32-bit apps (one of them being Xampp) that I can't get to work on Fatdog. Looking for a 64-bit version of a 'WAMP' Server. Also having issues with my Samsung printer, but you're right I have a lot more going for me with Fatdog64.

Cheers,
Joe

cthisbear

#34 Post by cthisbear »

Posting here in case someone needs an answer

for a working Puppy for >> Toshiba Satellite C665 PSC2EA-01H00E

"""""""

In my case I used Fatdog 64 on my Toshiba.

Sound and wireless worked after a few horrors.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&start=75

"""""

Kirk posted a fix for Realtek with a Pet...>> for 64 bit.

I might experiment and try it on other Puppies.
But this is probably a stupid and futile exercise...but I will see.

"""""""

Kirk's last post here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&start=60

RTL8188CE/RTL8192CE

RTL8191SE/RTL8192SE

RTL8192DE

RT5390-5392 and maybe rt2860.

"""""""""

Chris.

playdayz

#35 Post by playdayz »

Here's something to test for possible inclusion in the next Instant Update.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/alsa_ ... 1.0.24.pet

Especially please test this if you can if you are having any problems with sound. We also need to test to make sure it doesn't cause problems for people who are not having problems I am running it and haven't had a problem. Install and reboot. Thanks.

It would be most convenient if any results of this test could be reported in the Lucid 5.2.8 thread. Thanks.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855