Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MoebusNet

#161 Post by MoebusNet »

Yes MoebusNet, I would guess it might need to be specific to a particular kernel version. Can you provide a link to that pet please.
@playdayz:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=40358

is the download link I used.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

tasmod

#162 Post by tasmod »

Can someone check this out for me.

I needed a pristine frugal install with only a browser (Firefox) and Startmount loaded.

I set my locale etc and changed to JWM. (Various reboots to make things stick)

All OK with a clean savefile.

(Saved a copy as 'virgin' to go back to)

Loaded the Instant update.

Now however, the right click menu is somewhat borked with symlinks missing for Geany, Xarchive etc.

I checked after loading FF and there was no problem. So it points to the update ?? That's all that was loaded.!

Is there something for right click ?
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

playdayz

#163 Post by playdayz »

Loaded the Instant update.

Now however, the right click menu is somewhat borked with symlinks missing for Geany, Xarchive etc.
Hey tasmod, I saw this also, but in one of my test beds--which get messed up from installing and uninstalling. However, i cannot make it happen with a clean install of 528 or 529 and the latest Instant_Update. One thing is that Open with Geany should *not* appear at all--it is the same as Open as text from the right-click menu. And on my clean installs it does not appear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Very Experimental***

Super Multimedia Upgrade for Three-Headed Dog. Includes new Mplayer with latest multimedia ffmpeg libraries 0.8.2+, Pmusic 2.0.1, ffmpeg libraries 0.8.2, and new gtkdialog.

Mplayer is self-contained now, so the free-standing version 0.8.2 of the ffmpeg libraries is for Pmusic and other programs that need them--ffconvert for sure, so please test.

You can add the latest Pburn from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881

The current ffmpeg libraries are 0.6.1, but that is not so ancient as it might seem. 0.7.3 and 0.8.2 were released on the same day--the 7 series is designed to have most of the features of the 8 series but with more compatibility. Forget compatibility, we want the latest!

Pmusic 2 requires the 8 series and also the new gtkdialog.

The ffmpeg libraries are now compiled into mplayer. That way it gets the very latest by downloading them itself from svn, plus it knows exactly what it has, and nothing changes. It makes sense to me. The cost is several MB.

For possibly improved video, try gnome-mplayer -> Edit -> Preferences -> video output -> xv.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Super ... de-3HD.pet

(This Super_Multimedia_Upgrade is posted here in Three-Headed Dog because it is still experimental, but it works on Lucid 5.2.8 also.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Instant Update 001 for Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 is now released. Next up will be a special enhanced version of that update for Three-Headed Dog. That will happen early next week. Then once that is tested for a while, the Special Enhanced Instant Update and the Super Multimedia Upgrade will be combined into a new Three-Headed Dog iso--in maybe two weeks I guess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have trouble with dropping the internet connection?

If so, please try these two dhcpcd pets. The 5.2.9 is from Slacko, so it was built for the same kernel 3HD has. The 5.2.12 is by iguleder and is from later source.
Attachments
dhcpcd-5.2.9-spup.pet
(59.39 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
dhcpcd-5.2.12.pet
(40.29 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

playdayz

#164 Post by playdayz »

ACPI

Would anyone care to explain whether Three-Headed Dog should have acpid and acpitools. And what that might involve. Thanks.

sszindian

kernel panic (SOLVED) (hopefully)

#165 Post by sszindian »

playdayz:

OK... I believe I found the problem with the 'kernel panic' problem I was having! :wink:

Frist let me explain how I was trying to use 528 and 529- I don't do frugal or full installs, I always boot from the CD and then upon initial shutdown or initial reboot, I save the 'savefile' to the HDD. I do this with all my puppy versions!

I always installed the Iron Browser AND the Adobe Flash Player (when asked) before I would shutdown or reboot.

This time with 529, I didn't take the option to install the Adobe Flash Player before my initial reboot...'NO Problem!!!' everything went fine with the reboot and all's working well (so far).

I haven't tried this with 528 as yet (time, time, time) but I am almost positive that the Adobe Flash Player messed with the initial savefile somehow.

When I got those kernel panic things, I noticed on shutdown that when creating a savefile, everything went as normal right up to saving the file, however... I WAS NOT ASKED TO COPY FILES FROM THE CD at the last part right after the savefile was created!

I am running from 529 right now and all is fine, installed the Adobe Flash Player on 2nd boot, 3rd boot fired right up as normal.

>>>---Indian------> :D
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

playdayz

#166 Post by playdayz »

I always installed the Iron Browser AND the Adobe Flash Player (when asked) before I would shutdown or reboot.

This time with 529, I didn't take the option to install the Adobe Flash Player before my initial reboot...'NO Problem!!!' everything went fine with the reboot and all's working well (so far).
This could be. I remember that with New Years Pup, MU almost insisted that people reboot to create a save file immediately, without installing or doing anything else. I have had anomalies that could have been due to installing software etc before creating a save file. . I should put it into the online help. Thanks.

majorfoo

#167 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
You can add the latest Pburn from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881
majorfoo wrote:
I just d/l and installed pburn 3.36
When I open pburn, at top of page it shows pburn 3.35
Help, about, shows pburn 3.35
zigbert wrote: I have already changed the source code to 3.3.7 - just to be sure
Playdayz - before you include pburn in your next update, see above

majorfoo
Last edited by majorfoo on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

tasmod

#168 Post by tasmod »

Hi Larry,

I did another completely fresh frugal install.

Loaded FF and Startmount, rebooted.

All OK and 512mb savefile.

Added the Instant Update and this time no right click alterations.

Don't know where the other problems came from but I did download the Instant Update anew this time.

Working system with no problems with jre.sfs loaded and now FF6 installed. No problems evident. That's great, I can now save the savefile as a good base.

Compiling, programming, messing with software pet installs and removal etc can really mess up a system. :D
Rob
-

tasmod

#169 Post by tasmod »

OK Got it !

I forgot that I had also selected the dev.sfs to load at boot each time.

It's that which borks the right click menu. I used the excellent 'sfs on the fly' to unload the dev.sfs and the right click menu returned to normal.

EDIT: Just tried 528 and it also happens there. Load dev sfs and right clicks are messed up, unload dev sfs and it returns to normal.
Rob
-

gcmartin

#170 Post by gcmartin »

playdayz wrote:. ... I have had anomalies that could have been due to installing software etc before creating a save file. ...
Hi ALL.

I am NOT a developer. I have always been a Live media PUPs users. But, over the years I have seen many discussions about when and where to do a "save-session".

Most recent (don't remember where) I seem to remember someone indicating that the problem of out-of-the-box (OTB) use of PUPs has to do with the presence of "/home", which in some PUPs become present ONLY in save session reboots.

Questions
  1. Is there some truth in this comment?
  2. If so, should there be a labeled requirement in all PUPs usage which instructs that "functionality is missing unless you reboot"?
  3. If so, is there some alternative to OTB Live media systems booting to alleviate this important need?
Thanks in advance

smokey01

#171 Post by smokey01 »

From my experience I have had very few problems when installing Puppy.

My procedure is simple for live CD or Frugal. Once I have configured the basic settings like screen resolution, keyboard, internet connection and country settings, I reboot and make a save file before I install any additional software. It all seems to work better when the save file is present.

Works for me.

sszindian

Google Earth

#172 Post by sszindian »

Installed Google_Earth-6.03.2197-lucid525 from the PPM, doesn't want to start up??? What am I missing?

Yep.. have the High Graphics installed!

>>>---Indian------>

Tman

#173 Post by Tman »

playdayz wrote:ACPI

Would anyone care to explain whether Three-Headed Dog should have acpid and acpitools. And what that might involve. Thanks.
Adding acpid will allow your computer to go through the usual shutdown process by quickly pressing-and-releasing the power button. The thread for it is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2143246391. I prefer to use Shinobar's pet which can be found on the same page; the usual 30 second delay time can easily be altered. It is also supposed to send puppy into suspend mode if you close the lid on your laptop.

I haven't used acpitools, but apparently one can use it to set the computer to suspend or sleep mode (via the command-line), which saves battery life for laptops. I don't have a laptop; thus I don't require it. The thread for it is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31753

James C

#174 Post by James C »

More inspiration for playdayz.......... :)

Sun 11 Sep 2011 Operating System: Three-Headed Dog-529 Linux 3.0.4
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Core 0: 1998 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1021MB (190MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 11 Sep 2011 08:08:10 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.0.4 (i686)
Compiled : #1 Sat Sep 10 09:55:42 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.52
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root

Seems to be working out pretty well.
Attachments
lucid-529-k-3.0.4.png
(75.08 KiB) Downloaded 974 times

sszindian

#175 Post by sszindian »

OK James... Looks good!!!!

Is this your build ? Where do you have it so one can try?

I have (in most cases) found that a more-recent kernel is always an advantage to most any version of puppy... Have myself even run a 39 kernel in an old bare version of 5.01 and it produced a little speed-deamon, better than most of the newer versions of today's puppy's.

>>>---Indian------>

playdayz

#176 Post by playdayz »

Installed Google_Earth-6.03.2197-lucid525 from the PPM, doesn't want to start up??? What am I missing?

Yep.. have the High Graphics installed!
Hey sszindian, Can you open a terminal a enter 'glxgears" just to make sure that the High_Graphics are working?

If so, then enter 'google-earth' in the terminal and see what it says. I just tried this with the Xorg_High graphics and it worked OK.

What is google-earth doing when it doesn't want to start? Thanks.

Oh, this almost happened to me--and it has happened with other pets. Google-Earth is very large and sometimes there is not enough pupsave to properly download, unpack, and install the pet. Unfortunately when that happens PPM does not report an error--but things just don't work. If you have less than 50-60MB showing with google-earth installed then I would uninstall it and increase the save file size Menu -> Utility -> Resize personal storage file.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tman, Thanks for the clear explanation. it sounds like it wouldn;t hurt to include it--I know Slacko includes it, which is why I asked.

playdayz

#177 Post by playdayz »

I forgot that I had also selected the dev.sfs to load at boot each time.

It's that which borks the right click menu. I used the excellent 'sfs on the fly' to unload the dev.sfs and the right click menu returned to normal.
Thank you tasmod. As I said, I had seen it too but didn't know why and couldn't make it happen.

OK, I found the cause in the devx. I don't think it hurts to post an updated devx with the name such as luci_devx_529-2.sfs. Bootmanager will still pick it up to install it.

You won't believe this--the luci-529 I am working on right now has the devx installed and the right-click problem! Gee, what did I test on ;-)

sszindian

Google-Earth

#178 Post by sszindian »

After doing the 'glxgear' thingy, Google-Earth appears to be running OK!

"Thanks playdayz"

>>>---Indian------>

James C

Re: 3.0.4

#179 Post by James C »

sszindian wrote: Is this your build ? Where do you have it so one can try?
Just something I put together for a little testing.I'm running 3 installs of 529....the regular 2.6.37.6 version, and my two test builds with 2.6.39.4 and 3.04.
I'm undecided, I might do a bit more tweaking and upload something.If I do, I'll post a link.

str4y

#180 Post by str4y »

As whined about before by me, (probably in too annoying :oops: a fashion), I find disconcerting the fact that the gnome-mplayer binary, out of the box, phones in to Amazon and tells them what local mp3 file you're playing off your HD in order to pull up what it thinks is the right Album Art. So I have changed

/usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer
and
/usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer

to contain

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec gnome-mplayer  --disable_cover_art_fetch "$@"
as a remedy, which I am recommending be implemented. I suppose we could work up a 1st-run wrapper that asks the user their preference for future instances. I just think the web-wandering behaviour is a bit presumptuous.

Other than that, hooray-- thanks for another big improvement in distro!
Last edited by str4y on Tue 13 Sep 2011, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.
[size=75]laptop.pet: [url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=550279[/url]
K3B-1.0.5 self-contained .pet [url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71862[/url]
:oops: bitcoin: [url]http://xmail.net/str4y/bitcoin/[/url][/size]