PupsaveConfig-2.2.5

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shinobar

PupsaveConfig-1.9.9

#101 Post by shinobar »

don570 wrote:I checked pupsaveconfig in Wary 06 Multilingual.
The German version had a couple of spelling errors.
Thanks, don.

Updated: PupsaveConfig-1.9.9
# v1.9.9d 6feb11: rfkill, performance.sh, remove /mnt/*mnt/+..(rc.shutdown), message on progressbar, sort the probepart
/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown at line 70-

Code: Select all

# 5feb11: some stuff for fluppy
which rfkill &>/dev/null && rfkill unblock all
[ -x  /etc/acpi/performance.sh ] && /etc/acpi/performance.sh
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

jemimah

#102 Post by jemimah »

The first time I run it, it doesn't probe all the devices. The only saving option is the boot media. It will probe the devices if I click the back button though.

Is this a bug or a feature? It seems confusing.

shinobar

probing device

#103 Post by shinobar »

jemimah wrote:The first time I run it, it doesn't probe all the devices. The only saving option is the boot media. It will probe the devices if I click the back button though.

Is this a bug or a feature? It seems confusing.
It is intended. The pupsave at the same place of the boot medium is recommended i think.
For whom want to save on another media, I left the message on the back button.
If you boot from CD, all the devices are scanned from the first time.

This feature was old standard of Puppy. But it is recently modified. Wary-500 lists up all the devices.
It maybe convenient for someone, but can be confusing for the beginners, i suppose.

One example: I make frugal install on sda2, the Windows 7 system partition.
The Wary-500 lists up all the partition and the sda1 as the default, but the sda1 is a small 100MB partition for the boot stuff of Windows 7.

`f00

#104 Post by `f00 »

pupsaveconfig-1.9.9 (on p412, PULP 3 puplet - bootdisc+savefile on usb stick)

Firstly a few details/opinions
1) on the drives-selection page, dividers or separators might be helpful - the paired lines need to be obviously paired

2) on the folder/file-name page - folder-name should work on any pup that can 'look' beyond the base dir, possibly leave it blank but a pre-done 'hint' is ok too

3) a tabbed interface might be overlooked, but it does get away from the sequential tyranny. A choice of the smallest 32 mb would help if things are tight on a usb stick (or for testing). Not sure, but I think with a usb save the main sfs from the CD was automatically copied on 1st run.

4) At the actual save/reboot/poweroff, perhaps the wording on the "save" button could be changed to 'hold' or 'redo', I can see someone going "Sure, save my session" and getting confused with another config run.

..and next-to-finally it does not seem to have solved my particular issue (this topic) in regard to making it to a successful 2nd boot with a bootdisc/savefile on usb combo (but I finally remembered the "puppy ..." startcode :oops: ).

5) the 60 second timer seems a good idea (progress bar a nice touch) on the save/nosave dialogue and a default nosave even better for when things might go fairly wrong, but it still needs set to zero in that eventmanager tab if one prefers no periodic saves (easy enough to remember to do manually and that could be considered a user preference, learning experience or further development)

Good utility, shinobar and thanks - I may need to add your optical drive tweak to pulp as well (ack, tray opens/closes too quickly sometimes in certain situations - not good to force-hold the mechanism open :evil: ).

small detail :? pupsaveconfig-1.9.9.pet didn't update the /usr/share/doc/index.html in the 'available in menu' and 'packages contained in' fieldboxes, indeed the remnant in / was a rather generic-named "pet.specs" file :|, dunno if it makes any difference after it's in, but I renamed it to full name anyway (the .packages and rootmenu items are fine)
---addenda to the last-mentioned immediately ^ above---
It does update the relevant pages after a reboot and clears the remnant in / like a well-trained pet should :)

Sylvander

#105 Post by Sylvander »

1. This was the method I was using previously.
Notice that I edited the ISO file used to burn the CD, such that it treats a lupusave on an internal HDD as though it is a lupusave on a Flash Drive.

2. I decided to begin anew to make a lupusave [for Lupu-525] on a partition on an internal HDD.
This gave the opportunity to use Pupsaveconfig-1.9.9 to make the new lupusave.

3. It was proving difficult to use at 1st, but after a few attempts it "just worked".
Don't know what I was doing wrong.
Now working well as follows:
[With a lupusave on an internal HDD]
(a) Doesn't auto-save during the session, but I can choose to save manually at any handy point in time.
(b) Offers the opportunity "to save or not to save" at shut-down or reboot.

NEEDED
(a) I'd like to be able to make "No save..." the default, with a configurable timeout period [5 seconds?]

(b) I'd like to be able to configure that the CD is not ejected at power-off.

5. Thank you SO MUCH for this program; I LOVE that Puppy has the ability to do this. :D 8)

nooby

#106 Post by nooby »

jemimah wrote:One thing I always add to the shutdown script is "rfkill unblock all". Most puppies have rfkill support disabled so it doesn't matter for them. But Fluppy and I think some of Iguleder's, and Pemasu's puplets have it enabled.

The problem is if you shutdown with RF blocked, it actually disables the NIC in the BIOS. If the next OS you boot isn't RF-switch aware, the networking hardware on some machines will not be properly detected during boot.
Shinobar, this post by Jemimah is most important to me. If you have applied it then apology my lack of attention to details but I fail to see any response to it and I use Pemasu's Snow puppy and that one uses RFKILL and so on. So this is a must have for us who do Snow puppy
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nancy reagan

saves, while telling -not to

#107 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi Shino,

As you were not much around anymore, because of the disaster ?, I did not post earlier.

It seems that when I tell 1.9.9d "not to save" it still saves.

E.g. in Lupu 5.2.8 SqueezeX3 ec., while it works properly in 540

http://smokey01.com/stu90/

Any idea how I could solve this ? something something /etc/rc.x /xxx ?

backi

#108 Post by backi »

HI FOLKS !
Experienced the same problems like nancy reagen.
Tried a lot of advices with no real success.
This whole topic causes me a lot of headaches.
It realy drives me crazy.
Will i ever find a simple method of "shutdown (to USB) without save" ?

Cheers

nancy reagan

Exprimo ?

#109 Post by nancy reagan »

backi wrote:HI FOLKS !
Experienced the same problems like nancy reagen.
Tried a lot of advices with no real success.
This whole topic causes me a lot of headaches.
It realy drives me crazy.
Will i ever find a simple method of "shutdown (to USB) without save" ?

Cheers
Though haven't tried yet but thought read today Exprimo cares for this (at your request ?)

backi

#110 Post by backi »

Hi Folks !
Shut down with no saving.
Used this script in dpupexprimo and Three Headed Dog :

#!/bin/sh
# skips rc.shutdown and powers off computer without saving the session.
Xdialog --title "script $0" --yesno "\n\nAre you sure to power-off computer WITHOUT saving?\n\n" 0 0
[ $? -eq 0 ] && rm /initrd/pup_ro1/etc/.XLOADED && rm /etc/.XLOADED
exec /bin/busybox poweroff

In DpupExprimo you find it here:

" /root/my-applications/bin/nosaveshutdown script has been included since the Exprimo you first time posted about your need. It works as it works. "

Does work so far Shutdown without save, but not in every case.
Try to explain what i experienced.

For example: installed Iron-13 pet >shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this programm-browser still there (despite shutting down with no save)
For example installed an opera deb >shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this programm-browser still there (despite shutting down with no save)
(this programms don't appear as installed in PPM- if this may give some information)

Then did a test installing an hpprinter driver pet (indicated as installed in PPM) or made changes remove builtin packages then
>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this installation-changes are not saved

Another example: making a text file saving it as dokument
>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this saving is gone.

My thinking is i am running in ram and >shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown) will eliminate all changes during session.

Why these above mentioned pets and debs (there are others too) surpass
>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown) ?
how do the manage to go to my USB despite>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown) and other pets or debs don't ?

Quite curious.
Somehow these above mentioned pets and debs and others too ,manage to go to my USB stick despite >shutdown with no save option
Some others don't.

I'ḿ quite confused.

shinobar

PPM and no save

#111 Post by shinobar »

backi wrote:Does work so far Shutdown without save, but not in every case.
Try to explain what i experienced.

For example: installed Iron-13 pet >shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
The problem is the Puppy Package Manager does not know your 'no save' setting, and installs the files directly to the pupsave regardless your setting.
More problem is, the list of the installed files at /root/.package is not saved unless you manually save the session with pressing the 'save' icon.
Thus, the installed package will not be listed on the PPM after next reboot, and you cannot uninstall it anymore.

We need to modify the PPM to see the 'no save' setting, if you install packages but not want them to be saved.

Or, I recommend you use sfs instead of pet if you want to use additional applications temporally.

Jim1911

#112 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi shinobar,

Just tried this on THD 529. It works great, my only regret is that I haven't tried it earlier. Love it especially the ability to create a 4fs save file. I will be trying it on all pups that I install.

Thanks again for your fine applications,
Jim

backi

#113 Post by backi »

Hi SHINOBAR !

Did not look look for a while into this topic here.did not to expect for anybody to answer. thanks for your help.
But want to make one thing clearer (maybe it could make a difference).

Those pets and debs (Iron ) ,did not install them via PPM .
I have already download them and have them as a collection (on harddrive).
I just clicked them . not installed with PPM. (maybe it could make a differen ce for your diagnosis) .
In Macpup ...doing the same (shutting down with "no save " option ) .... it works .....no save.
What makes the difference ?

Cheers.

nancy reagan

Re: PPM and no save

#114 Post by nancy reagan »

shinobar wrote:
We need to modify the PPM to see the 'no save' setting, if you install packages but not want them to be saved.

Or, I recommend you use sfs instead of pet if you want to use additional applications temporally.
Hi Shino,

Had some trouble with this app as well. Now using it in Stu90 lupu540 (or something)

Read some where that if you do "save setting -during- " sessions it might get messed up.

So now -if- I want to save I only do it at shutdown.

And yes they are listed in the PPM ....

Maybe it has got something to do with the puppy version where you're in ?

@ Backi Barry Kauler made also a pet, see cutting edge forum.(It is in Slacko b4)

I wonder why not earlier and more people asked for this possibility.

shinobar

PPM and nosave

#115 Post by shinobar »

backi wrote:Those pets and debs (Iron ) ,did not install them via PPM .
I have already download them and have them as a collection (on harddrive).
I just clicked them

They are the same script dotpup.
backi wrote:In Macpup ...doing the same (shutting down with "no save " option ) .... it works .....no save.
What makes the difference ?
I have not yet checked Macpup, but it depends on the version of PPM/dotpup.
The problem occurs with the recent version of PPM/dotpup.
Old version does install on ram, but new one saves directly to pupsave.
It is a new function for small ram PC.

One of the solution is killing this new function (direct to pupsave).
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 30 Oct 2011, 02:39, edited 2 times in total.

runtt21

#116 Post by runtt21 »

The installpkg.sh script in Macpup has been modified. We had to do that back in MP520 to get around a bug in that version of efreet.

backi

#117 Post by backi »

HI shinobar !

Thanks for your suggestions .
This intalling pets to ram in older versions, or installing directly to pupsave in newer ones , gives me an explanation for all these things.
Caused me a lot of headeaches this topic .
nobody before could give me a logical reason for this .
Now i `m feeling more relieved.

shinobar

pupsaveconfig-2.0

#118 Post by shinobar »

Released pupsaveconfig-2.0.pet as the stable.

As for the PPM messing up with save interval=0 under PUPMODE=13,
Visit the PPM topic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73829

einar

Problems with LH64 514

#119 Post by einar »

pupsaveconfig is not working / freezes under install on the new LH 64 514. It makes the system unresponsive when i try to do somthing. i have to CTRL ALT Backspace to shutdown. And it wont do that properly, freezes after save.

Do i need a 64Bit version ? i use this .pet in every puplet and i think i used it in LH, 511,512 and 513. Not sure as my memory is troubeling at best. But pupsaveconfig is the first pet i install on a pup and this is the first time it doesnt work.

im sorry for my ramblings.

BR

Einar

shinobar

Re: Problems with LH64 514

#120 Post by shinobar »

einar wrote:Do i need a 64Bit version ?
No. The pupsaveconfig has no binary codes.