Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Iguleder

#861 Post by Iguleder »

Hey pemasu, I'm currently writing build scripts for some useful console applications - MOC, WeeChat, w3m and maybe some extras.

Would you like me to upload them? They could be extremely useful for low-end systems.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#862 Post by pemasu »

Iguleder. Please, upload them. Moc is something which I have used. Weechat is too cli for me, but I am sure there are many users for it also.
Text based browser would be nice to test. It sure is fast and places like commandfu.com might work with it.

So...please upload them to dpup repo or where you wish.

Iguleder

#863 Post by Iguleder »

I think I'll rebuild the whole dpup repository when I find the time. At the moment I'm very busy.

But .. here's MOC :D
Attachments
moc_DOC-2.4.4.pet
(9.83 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
moc_DEV-2.4.4.pet
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
moc-2.4.4.pet
(102.41 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

nooby

#864 Post by nooby »

james c your cpu there 83% was that typical or an exception?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Volhout

5x6 on EEE PC 1001HA

#865 Post by Volhout »

Downloaded 5x6 and created a USB stick with UNETbootIN.
Booted eeePC 1001HA with <ESC> select stick.

Normal boot up does not work ("fail to find ....squeeze_5x6.sfs").
Bootup with F2, F3, puppy pmedia-usbflash, and booting starts.

In XORG config, I select PROBE then 1024x600 24 colors

audio: "bark"
screen: enlightenment cartwheel shows, then blue desktop with icons(for 1 second). I can seen popup "wlan=down", then screen turns black.

I waited for 5 minutes, nothin happens.
When I press "power" button, I hear a "bark", so I think 5x6 is still running, only no video. Does not shut down (could be waiting for some confirmation, but I don't see anything since screen is black).

Tried same sequence with 1024x600 16 colors. Same result.

Without a screen I cannot do a lot of debugging. Any idea what I could do to help debug ? If I can get the system to write log files into usb flash stick I could send those. But I am not sure how to do this without a screen.

Volhout

P.S. 1024x600 where the only resolutions available. I could not select 800x600 after probing. I am not even sure it has something to do the the actual video resolution. It could very well be that the screen is still running, but only the backlight is turned off (like in screen save mode).
Last edited by Volhout on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

stu90

#866 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:Iguleder. Please, upload them. Moc is something which I have used. Weechat is too cli for me, but I am sure there are many users for it also.
Text based browser would be nice to test. It sure is fast and places like commandfu.com might work with it.

So...please upload them to dpup repo or where you wish.
w3m is a pretty sweet web browser - if you have feh image viewer installed w3m will also display images.

pemasu

#867 Post by pemasu »

Volhout. I think you should try jwm with your eee. Pfix=ram,nox boots you to the console state. Then xwin jwm starts X with jwm and it does not try to boot default e17.
About resolution. It is something with new woof. It preselects the best resolution for you. If you get X with jwm, use Personalize settings to change the resolution to other.

But...as I told you with your pm post. I have no familiarity with eee netbooks.
I have support like Fluppy for laptops. Netbooks like eee is different saga. Things will work as they will.......

Volhout

#868 Post by Volhout »

Pesamu,

Thanks for the tips. I have tried JWM, and it also boots to the desktop. It starts showing the drive icons, and then the screen goes black also. So it is not caused by E17, since JWM behaves the same.

Regards,

Volhout

pemasu

#869 Post by pemasu »

Hmm...It sounds like graphics driver issue to me. What about in console state, run xorgwizard and change to use vesa driver.

backi

#870 Post by backi »

HI FOLKS !
Dont know if it's the right place to ask.
Posted it in another topic place ,but not much feedback.

Will i ever find a simple method of "shutdown without saving" (to USB) ?
(except to unplug the cables)
Tried a lot of advices with no real success.
This whole topic causes me a lot of headaches.
It realy drives me crazy.

Cheers

pemasu

#871 Post by pemasu »

Backi. /root/my-applications/bin/nosaveshutdown script has been included since the Exprimo you first time posted about your need. It works as it works.
But the script has been there all the time since your post. That script has issues as you know. But your need is the kind personal tuning that somekind own searching and testing is needed.

James C

#872 Post by James C »

nooby wrote:james c your cpu there 83% was that typical or an exception?
Just momentarily went higher while I was taking the screenshot.......generally is much lower.

backi

#873 Post by backi »

HI pemasu !

Backi. /root/my-applications/bin/nosaveshutdown script has been included since the Exprimo you first time posted about your need. It works as it works.
But the script has been there all the time since your post. That script has issues as you know. But your need is the kind personal tuning that somekind own searching and testing is needed.

Didn't know this. will have a look .

Thanks

peebee

#874 Post by peebee »

Hi pemasu

I like the idea of having separate sfs's for things like office applications....

however after adding the abiword / gnumeric sfs, documents will not open with either a click or by selecting the open option from the right-click menu.

Is there something missing from the sfs to allow this integration to happen?

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#875 Post by pemasu »

It is possible I have not included needed folders to perform the right mime open commands. I thought they were included. I will test the working tomorrow later.

pemasu

#876 Post by pemasu »

Peebee. Well. Tv movie wasnt so good. I checked the sfs already. It missed some of the stuff I thought was there. Now it should be fixed. The updated abiword-2.9.0-gnumeric-1.10.13-goffice-0.8.12-dpup.sfs is now in the pet_packages-repo. Mime types and rox right clicks should now work for .abw, .doc, .xls, .gnumeric...at least.

Thank you Peebee. It is much less work when someone finds the need for fix and you know what to look for. Really helpful.

Superdooper

Thanks

#877 Post by Superdooper »

Thanks for the hard work Pemasu. Just downloaded and running live cd. So far everything is working great on the old gateway! Everything is running a lot smoother than with 5.2.8 so far. Good Job!

peebee

#878 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee. Well. Tv movie wasnt so good. I checked the sfs already. It missed some of the stuff I thought was there. Now it should be fixed. The updated abiword-2.9.0-gnumeric-1.10.13-goffice-0.8.12-dpup.sfs is now in the pet_packages-repo. Mime types and rox right clicks should now work for .abw, .doc, .xls, .gnumeric...at least.

Thank you Peebee. It is much less work when someone finds the need for fix and you know what to look for. Really helpful.
Hi pemasu

As always - many thanks for your rapid and helpful response.

I've downloaded the modified .sfs and can confirm that right click open now works....

however single click on a document does not open it - I think because defaultspreadsheet and defaultwordprocessor are not linked to gnumeric and abiword.........these are the run commands executed on single click I think....confirmed by editing the files in /usr/local/bin to remove the # on the relevant lines

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

backi

#879 Post by backi »

Hi Folks !
Shut down with no saving.
Used this script in dpupexprimo and Three Headed Dog :

#!/bin/sh
# skips rc.shutdown and powers off computer without saving the session.
Xdialog --title "script $0" --yesno "\n\nAre you sure to power-off computer WITHOUT saving?\n\n" 0 0
[ $? -eq 0 ] && rm /initrd/pup_ro1/etc/.XLOADED && rm /etc/.XLOADED
exec /bin/busybox poweroff

In DpupExprimo you find it here:

" /root/my-applications/bin/nosaveshutdown script has been included since the Exprimo you first time posted about your need. It works as it works. "

Does work so far Shutdown without save, but not in every case.
Try to explain what i experienced.

For example: installed Iron-13 pet >shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this programm-browser still there (despite shutting down with no save)
For example installed an opera deb >shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this programm-browser still there (despite shutting down with no save)
(this programms don't appear as installed in PPM- if this may give some information)

Then did a test installing an hpprinter driver pet (indicated as installed in PPM) or made changes remove builtin packages then
>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this installation-changes are not saved

Another example: making a text file saving it as dokument
>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown)
after restart- bootup this saving is gone.

My thinking is i am running in ram and >shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown) will eliminate all changes during session.

Why these above mentioned pets and debs (there are others too) surpass
>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown) ?
how do the manage to go to my USB stick despite>shutdown with no save option (fast shutdown) and other pets or debs don't ?

Quite curious.
Somehow these above mentioned pets and debs and others too ,manage to go to my USB stick despite >shutdown with no save option
Some others don't.

I'ḿ quite confused.

pemasu

#880 Post by pemasu »

Backi. Have you changed the save session time to 0 in Puppy Session Manager.
Otherwise I dont know why they dont work everytime.
Have you used Scottman posted rc.shutdown method also. Those two are the ones I know. Scottmans method with edited rc.shutdown can be found from forum or I can make installable pet of it.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.