Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#201 Post by playdayz »

Pburn just got updated to V3.3.6
Just missed it, but we have to stop somewhere.

Here is the the Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... 28-001.pet

add two gnome-mplayer icons
PupControl preferences
new iwlwifi.tar.gz in /lib/modules/all-firmware
latest Packages-puppy-lucid-official in PPM
gnome-mplayer menu entry remove %U
small change to Cloud Apps to remove 2nd More Apps which pointed to /usr/share/applications

X libgconf2-4_3.1.6 to enable Chromium-based browsers
X libgconf_DEV-3.1.6
X Help -> LupuNews puppylogo96 image without being connected
X update Firewallstate 2.0 tasmod
X update PupControl 1.7 radky includes very cool PupSysinfo
X update Pburn 3.3.5 zigbert
X change to Start with Playlist in gnome-mplayer for dvd’s otherwise gnome-mplayer shows black screen with audio until one changes size of screen - for dvd's, XineDVD is still better, but some people might expect the default media player to play dvd's with no fuss, not unreasonably
X add Getflash (modified) from Slacko to update (or install) Flashplayer
X add Cloud Puppy by szzindian, under Utility

From rerwin:
# 1. Update /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG.
# 2. Reduce occurrences of DNS not being set for ppp connections to some USB-modem ISPs. (/etc/ppp/wvdial)
# 3. Retain access to prename script if devx also loaded (with a different script of the same name) (usr/share/applications/prename.desktop).
# 4. Set "show_msg=NO" configuration option for both of dillo's dillorc files (adding the one in /etc/dillo).
# 5. Correct missing "fi" statement in bareview script.
# 6. Personal Settings updates:
# . . a. Complete the hostname-change process by cycling connections and prompting user to log out.
# . . b. Simplify numlock preset logic.
# . . c. Avoid "barks" during full country-settings display but retain them for first runs with no pupsave files or full installations.
# . . d. Integrate firstrun-1.8.4 into lupu version of personal settings script but exclude new "extralang" support (which could be provided by a dot-pet package).
Last edited by playdayz on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 19:02, edited 2 times in total.

ASRI éducation

#202 Post by ASRI éducation »

playdayz wrote:Here is the Release Candidate of the Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8.
Good news.
Next week I'll be able to offer a French version edutainment.
Thank you all for this great puppy!

bigpup

#203 Post by bigpup »

Release Candidate of the Instant Update 001.

All new changes seem to have been made.
Working good so far.

Too bad about not getting the latest Pburn in it.
I would keep an eye on Pburn development. Seems to be very active, at the moment, about changes to support for DVD's.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#204 Post by James C »

Installed Instant Update 001 RC..... haven't noticed any problems........yet. :)

Sylvander

#205 Post by Sylvander »

Is it OK to install the RC, having first installed the previous version?

playdayz

#206 Post by playdayz »

I should have said, I would recommend uninstalling the Test version. That's just in general--I am not aware of any problems. You might try installing over the old version and see if you notice anything--I would think you could correct any problems that showed up by uninstalling both and then re-installing the RC.
Too bad about not getting the latest Pburn in it.
Yes, but I was investigating and there was some kind of craziness about the latest Pburn and some others. It seems that Pburn uses a newer version of gtkdialog that evidently caused some problems with older scripts. A new version of gtkdialog should be backwards compatible I would think. i am glad not be be involved and will wait until the dust settles. In general I think that Pburn is really, really good--as good as the commercial Nero for Linux burning suite.

bigpup

#207 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
I should have said, I would recommend uninstalling the Test version. That's just in general--I am not aware of any problems. You might try installing over the old version and see if you notice anything--I would think you could correct any problems that showed up by uninstalling both and then re-installing the RC.
Oh ya, tells us now :roll:
Well for me, I installed instant update 001 RC over instant update 001 test.
My computer just took a big dump and refuses to start. :shock:
JUST KIDDING

Seems to be working OK for me.
Good update without removing test update!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

jpeps

#208 Post by jpeps »

playdayz wrote: A new version of gtkdialog should be backwards compatible I would think. i am glad not be be involved and will wait until the dust settles. In general I think that Pburn is really, really good--as good as the commercial Nero for Linux burning suite.
The "dust" HAS settled. It was largely a mistaken accusation. You certainly don't want NOT to include an updated gtkdialog, but can leave gtkdialog3 in there as well. Barry calls it gtkdialog4 or gtkdialog....either will work (link gtkdialog4->gtkdialog)

playdayz

#209 Post by playdayz »

The "dust" HAS settled.
Well said as always jpeps. 01micko advised me and the future is grand ;-) I am preparing a Super Multimedia Upgrade package for Three-Headed Dog, with Pmusic 2.0.1, a new gtkdialog, the ffmpeg multimedia libraries 0.8.2 (current release), and a new mplayer with actually more advanced ffmpeg libraries from the ffmpeg svn. Pburn 3.3.6 could go in also.

The current ffmpeg libraries are 0.6.1, but that is not so ancient as it might seem. 0.7.3 and 0.8.2 were released on the same day--the 7 series is designed to have most of the features of the 8 series but with more compatibility. Forget compatibility, we want the latest! ;-) ;-)

Pmusic 2 requires the 8 series and also the new gtkdialog.

The ffmpeg libraries are now compiled into mplayer. That way it gets the very latest by downloading them itself from svn, plus it knows exactly what it has, and nothing changes. It makes sense to me. The cost is several MB.

James C

#210 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
FWIW, I have both upgrades installed on 3 different installs (528,529 and my build with the newer kernel) and nothing untoward has occurred. All looking good.

James C

#211 Post by James C »

Another package test,just used Quickpet to grab the Libre Office 3.3 sfs.No problem downloading or converting to a pet or installing on my full install of Lucid 528. :)

nancy reagan

convert sfs to pet ?

#212 Post by nancy reagan »

James C wrote:Another package test,just used Quickpet to grab the Libre Office 3.3 sfs.No problem downloading or converting to a pet or installing on my full install of Lucid 528. :)
Slightly off topic, but HOW TO CONVERT SFS TO PET ?

Trio once made a pet for it but later it was reported that this was dangerous for it could clear all the contents of your hdd etc. ?

Looking forward.

playdayz

#213 Post by playdayz »

Instant Update 001 for Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 is released on SEP 7.

For details -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 890#560890

For download -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

James C

Re: convert sfs to pet ?

#214 Post by James C »

nancy reagan wrote:
James C wrote:Another package test,just used Quickpet to grab the Libre Office 3.3 sfs.No problem downloading or converting to a pet or installing on my full install of Lucid 528. :)

Trio once made a pet for it but later it was reported that this was dangerous for it could clear all the contents of your hdd etc. ?

Looking forward.
Luckily in Lucid 528 it happened automatically.Downloaded the Libre Office sfs and it was automatically converted to a pet and installed.No apparent problems.

Brown Mouse

#215 Post by Brown Mouse »

James C wrote:
nancy reagan wrote:

Looking forward.
Luckily in Lucid 528 it happened automatically.Downloaded the Libre Office sfs and it was automatically converted to a pet and installed.No apparent problems.
I must be missing something then because I downloaded the Libre Office sfs from Quickpet and it has placed it on the /mnt/home partition and loaded it as an sfs.No conversion to a .pet.,which is what I really needed.

cthisbear

#216 Post by cthisbear »

Dell Studio XPS 1340

Broadcom >> wireless working via piratesmack pet.

and Nvidia sound working.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 931#561931

Chris.

Tasgarth

#217 Post by Tasgarth »

Test 1:
Booted using lupu 528 pfix=ram...
Been using the Instant Update 001 (7 sep) for Lucid 5.2.8 for 2 days : 528 is still running very well for me.
Test 2:
I updated several old lupu and luci (for the fun) :
Luci 258, Luci 268, Luci 626 without any big problem (localization FR by Shinobar, passwords, Seamonkey and Flash etc... are OK)
Thanks.

nancy reagan

#218 Post by nancy reagan »

Brown Mouse wrote:/quote]

I must be missing something then because I downloaded the Libre Office sfs from Quickpet and it has placed it on the /mnt/home partition and loaded it as an sfs.No conversion to a .pet.,which is what I really needed.
Friendly smokey pm-ed me 1. first extract sfs 2. dir2pet

bigpup

#219 Post by bigpup »

Brown Mouse wrote:
James C wrote:Luckily in my full install of Lucid 528 it happened automatically.Downloaded the Libre Office sfs and it was automatically converted to a pet and installed.No apparent problems.
Quickpet handles SFS files depending on how Puppy is installed.
Frugal install- SFS file is downloaded to /mnt/home. A menu entry is made to launch the SFS file on demand.
The file stays an SFS file located in /mnt/home.

Full install- The SFS file is downloaded, turned into a pet, and installed as a pet normally is to a full install of Puppy.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Brown Mouse

#220 Post by Brown Mouse »

nancy reagan/bigpup
Thanks for the info re.sfs/.pet

I installed 528 to an Acer Aspire One netbook today.Booting it from an sdhc card with the savefile on the Windows XP partition.Added Frisbee(using wifi),Xorg High drivers,changed the settings for flsynclient.Loaded many more goodies and it all runs to perfection. :D