Lighthouse 64 5.12 Beta 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
einar

Re: Many thanx

#21 Post by einar »

gcmartin wrote:
einar wrote: ... And a little tip :) If your computer reboots under copying to memory, it could be your cdrom, lotz of curse words and memory test before i tossed the cdrom ...
I have a question simply for some understanding. @Einar help me with these, please,
  1. Was this a desktop or laptop with the bad drive?
  2. Was the media used a CDR or CDRW or DVD-R or DVD+R or DVDRW?
  3. When you created the Live media from ISO did you create a Multi-session media?
  4. Was the device an IDE or a SATA device?
  5. Was it a CD or a DVD reader or writer or combo?
Again, this is just for my personal use as I ONLY run Live media based systems and this information is extremely helpful to me.

Thansk in advance
Hello Gcmartin

1: Laptop with a bad drive
2: CDR
3:burned in widnows with imgburn, no multi-session
4: IDE
5: CD/DVD read write combo with lightscribe :)

and 6 : the cd-r worked with my other laptops and on the new drive

Best regards

Einar

crshbndct

#22 Post by crshbndct »

Diamond wrote:Hi TazOC,

Where is KDE ? I have installed mariner + Lighthouse... no kde..

Thanx...
i think kde is a seperate sfs file you have to download and set to run on boot
i installed mariner iso, and i dont get kde either, i am busy downloading kde now
in the time it took me to boot windows, edit this signature, save it, and shutdown, an identical spec pc was able to boot puppy, start songbird, and reboot 3 times.

lol

Jim1911

#23 Post by Jim1911 »

Unlike previous Lighthouses, all you need is the base iso plus 4-KDE-4.6.5-x86_64-L1.sfs KDE Desktop Environment. Also In order for the KDE Disc Burner, K3b to recognize and use a suitable CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive, gvfs or another Glib2 vfs manager must be installed, followed by a reboot. Therefore for full function you need both KDE and Gvfs-1.8.1-x86_64.sfs.

Diamond

#24 Post by Diamond »

Jim1911 wrote:Unlike previous Lighthouses, all you need is the base iso plus 4-KDE-4.6.5-x86_64-L1.sfs KDE Desktop Environment. Also In order for the KDE Disc Burner, K3b to recognize and use a suitable CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive, gvfs or another Glib2 vfs manager must be installed, followed by a reboot. Therefore for full function you need both KDE and Gvfs-1.8.1-x86_64.sfs.
I can't find download link for KDE.

crshbndct

#25 Post by crshbndct »

http://www.lhpup.org/sfs/512-x86_64/

its the first one on the page.. i just installed it, enabled desktop effects, and its beautiful!!!

this is just a fantastic release of puppy!
in the time it took me to boot windows, edit this signature, save it, and shutdown, an identical spec pc was able to boot puppy, start songbird, and reboot 3 times.

lol

ciento

#26 Post by ciento »

Hi, this lighthouse is working, nVidia9400 GTS, ,usb 3G modem, athlon dual core.
The savefile setup would not work, just went to a white screen, no matter how I shut down, but installing pupsaveconfig worked, although behind the same white screen, no visible feedback. Thanks for the work you put into a 64 bit distro, it's a pleasure use, the way you have it set up! :)

ciento

#27 Post by ciento »

Some trouble: I chose to save main .sfs file to the folder where the
savefile is, and now, when I boot, I get a kernel panic. So I deleted the .sfs
file, and still get the kernel panic when booting. I can post the feedback, if you would find it helpful.
Cheers

Tman

#28 Post by Tman »

Hello Tazoc,

Although I was surprised and delighted to see my name on your website, please remove the thanks to me for Shinobar's sfs load on the fly, for I am undeserving of it. I had nothing to do with that great app other than asking you to include it in your puplet. Also, Pemasu was the one who made the patched version; not me.

I am downloading your new puplet during the time of this post and am looking forward to trying it out.

Diamond

#29 Post by Diamond »

Hello Tazoc,

thanx for this great distro!

I have bugs with cyrillic characters in Libre Office,and I would like that text in Libre Office looks more clearer and bigger,just like in Abi Word.
In Libre Office,most cyrillic texts are well displayed,but not so crisp and readable like in Abi Word.
Second problem is problem with Abi Word. Some word document writen in cyrillic letters are not readable in Abi word.
And just to ask,is there any chance for Seamonkey 2.3.3 64 bit in repos ?
And Firefox 6.02....
Thanx!

Diamond

#30 Post by Diamond »

Please help,KDE messed up my soundcard. There is no sound,and I cant switch from onboard soundcard to soundblaster...
Because there is no ALSA sound wizard...
Tried with multiple sound card wizard,no use.
Alsamixer is showing my onboard soundcard that is disabled.
Everything worked fine "out of the box"...
Please help!

Edit: Alsamixer is now showing sound blaster card,but there is no sound...

Edit: Sound problem solved
I found Alsa sound wizard... I tried several times,and after a few rebooting it worked..

einar

#31 Post by einar »

crshbndct wrote:no window borders? <- go into compiz config settings manager, select window decoration, move window and resize window

:)
tell me more about this savefile program!!!!

Still having trouble with this issue, i installed lhp64 5.12b1 on another nvidia laptop and that also has the no border problem. So 2 Nvidia laptops not working and a Ati laptop that works.

I found the "select window decoration" and i was turned on. not sure what you mean about "move window and resize window". Can you be more spesific. ?`

Best regards

Einar

einar

requests

#32 Post by einar »

Will it be possible to request .pet or .sfs packages ?`

Best regards

Einar

Jim1911

#33 Post by Jim1911 »

einar wrote:
crshbndct wrote:no window borders? <- go into compiz config settings manager, select window decoration, move window and resize window

Still having trouble with this issue, i installed lhp64 5.12b1 on another nvidia laptop and that also has the no border problem. So 2 Nvidia laptops not working and a Ati laptop that works.

I found the "select window decoration" and i was turned on. not sure what you mean about "move window and resize window". Can you be more spesific. ?`

Best regards

Einar
1. To move and resize a window you need to learn how to use the little symbols in the upper right portion of the window. Place your mouse arrow on each one do a left click to see what it does.

2. To move a window, place your arrow on any blank portion of the top part of the window, left click and drag it where you want the window.

3. To resize a window, place your arrow at the right corner of the window, past the X, you will see your pointer change to a double headed arrow, then drag it in the direction that you wish to resize. Be careful of the X since it is close to the edge and if you accidentally click on it the window will close.

Just continue to experiment which is the best way to learn what you can do.

TazOC, the LH developer, is very open to software requests that improve the functionality of LH.
Attachments
image-9.jpg
(10.2 KiB) Downloaded 1182 times

Diamond

Re: requests

#34 Post by Diamond »

einar wrote:Will it be possible to request .pet or .sfs packages ?`

Best regards

Einar
I have to ask this question,too
I'd like to see Seamonkey new,and software for PDF reading,PDF X-Change wiever,for example,it is application for Windows. If it is not possible,than Foxit reader or Adobe reader.
And the most important software is KM player for windows,I need something like that but NOT mplayer or similar,because kmplayer have the best subtitle rendering in the world (black borders,font shadows...)
PS I tried frontend called KMplayer but it is not even close KMplayer for windows.

Diamond

#35 Post by Diamond »

Diamond wrote: Alsamixer is showing my onboard soundcard that is disabled.
Everything worked fine "out of the box"...
Please help!
Sound don't work agan... Tried with alsa sound wizard,don'd work either... I really don't know what to do.
Please help!
Once I manage to fix the sound,but when I restarted PC,sound was broken again.

Tman

#36 Post by Tman »

Diamond,

My specs are specs are not exactly the same as yours but this is how I get sound working on my main desktop:

1) run Multiple-Soundcard-Wizard, choose the right card, and restart the X-server

2) run "alsaconf" in the terminal, and go through the setup procedure

3) run "alsamixer" in the terminal to adjust the volume settings, which I find to always be too low. You might need to press "F6" first to choose the right soundcard.

4) If the sound works; reboot and save your settings.

More details can be found here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64841

Good luck. It took me about two months to solve my sound problem. Hopefully yours, won't take so long.

Diamond

#37 Post by Diamond »

Tried,no use.
Thank you very much for your effort,but whatever I have clicked,there is no sound.
It is obviouslly Puppy problem,in other KDE distros,I have just disabled onboard sound through mixer,and everything worked fine.
And in puppy without KDE if I haven't sound,after a few clicks everything is okay
This seems like very complicated problem.
Too bad for such great distro.

Edit: I found a bug! Yipieee:
Bug goes like this,every time I started KDE,I have to run retrovol sound mixer,and to uncheck first line. Or I will not have sound.
I hope this bug will be fixed in next relases. Than TazOc for its effort!
Kde bug #2:
Kde wont mount partitions. When I click to partition,it gives me an error,so I have to mount it manually through pmount. Any chance of some kind of automount feature ? Thanx!
And of course,I forgot to say BIG thanx to all fellows in KDE tim.. My Logitech mouse RX 250 is working better in linux!
It have 1000 dpi,and I allways had problem with it... But now it seems better.
I hope it will be even better,but this is huge improvement anyway..
Thanx!

einar

#38 Post by einar »

Jim1911 wrote:
einar wrote:

Best regards

Einar
1. To move and resize a window you need to learn how to use the little symbols in the upper right portion of the window. Place your mouse arrow on each one do a left click to see what it does.

2. To move a window, place your arrow on any blank portion of the top part of the window, left click and drag it where you want the window.

3. To resize a window, place your arrow at the right corner of the window, past the X, you will see your pointer change to a double headed arrow, then drag it in the direction that you wish to resize. Be careful of the X since it is close to the edge and if you accidentally click on it the window will close.

Just continue to experiment which is the best way to learn what you can do.

TazOC, the LH developer, is very open to software requests that improve the functionality of LH.

HAHA, the borders are gone, and there are no symbols. This was a very bad joke.

Fishy

Spot Removal?

#39 Post by Fishy »

Lighthouse is working extremely well, especially in my nephew's new AMD/APU system with 8 gig's of memory. All other puppies tried would lock up after a short time. This included Fatdog 520.

Two things that have caused no little annoyance are the use of spot and difficulty in making a save file.

Having the screen go blank on shut down for newbies will probably drive them away from puppy. I am not completely new and so was able to find the pupsave.config pet and get their system functional.

Being the only person om my computer I would like to remove or download a version that has all references to spot removed. The nice thing about having been around puppy for many years is running as root. Screw up and it is a simple matter to re-install, spot has added a layer of complexity that I do not want or need.

Lighthouse 512 is now at the top of my pups along with the three headed Dog.

Thank you to all the people who work hard and contribute to Puppy - a labour of Love. :wink:

rodin.s

Kernel 3.0.3

#40 Post by rodin.s »

Russian Puppy Forum member Gerasats have made 3.0.3 kernel package and have tested it on Lighthouse 64 5.12. Maybe it could be useful for you.
Kernel package: http://www.mediafire.com/?49lv5dko1log091
Kernel patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?hjj82km10o92wgi