Fatdog64-520 Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#41 Post by Sage »

The box that I thought was a 939 turned out to be yet another recently acquired 754. Having discovered the real 939 , FD turned out to be a bit of a disaster - so many issues I haven't the time to record/list, so running it on Slacko and LM-LXDE11. [Slacko not without it's own' features', but these I can live with.]

kirk

#42 Post by kirk »

joe0855,

You might give the Network Wizard a try. If the firmware isn't too huge we'll include it.

Also, I've fixed the dbus pet.

raffy

tmp files

#43 Post by raffy »

FYI: I have uploaded the contents of the emachines AMD Fusion laptop /tmp files here hopefully to help in hacking a solution to the hanging problem (even Slacko B2 hangs in that machine, but Fatdog64 511 does not).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

joe0855

#44 Post by joe0855 »

Thanks Jamesbond and Kirk.

I tried using the Network Wizard (depreciated), which does allow more flexibility to choose the correct WPA protocol. However still no outside access to the internet (tried WPA/TKIP and WPA2). Frisbee is also a nogo.

I am however able to access my wireless router using the default browser. I can also ping internal IPs (ie 192.168.1.5) using the terminal application.

I then tried changing my browser settings to 'No proxy', still nogo.

Man, I'm sooo close. Got my video, audio... but wifi is kinda important though ;)

Kirk, please pardon my ignorance, but what does the dbus pet do. Found 'dbus-1.2.16.pet' on the FD64 ibiblio, installed it but didn't notice any differences. Thanks again!

kirk

#45 Post by kirk »

joe0855,

Can you ping 208.67.222.222? If you can then you are getting out to the internet and your DNS settings are wrong for some reason. /etc/resolv.conf contains the address to your DNS server. If you can ping 208.67.222.222, then put that in /etc/resolv.conf and try that. The dbus pet is only needed if you install some external package that requires dbus. Fatdog64 packages are compiled without dbus. The firmware you mentioned is already included.

raffy,

You said that your ati video works in 511. The big difference between 511 and 520 for radeon is that KMS is enabled by default. Try booting with nomodeset. The ati driver is supposed to run with or without KMS. All of the drivers have been updated as well and that could be the problem in your case.

DC

VLC

#46 Post by DC »

Hi,
Just a question about the compiling of VLC.
Firstly any plans for a new compile?
If yes could you compile in the option for DVB

Or if the answers no could you post the options that were previously used as I'd like to have a go at compiling in a DVB option but don't know what else to include.
Any other tips for compiling for fat dog would also be appreciated.

thanks

DC

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try booting with nomodeset.
My old ATI Radeon Xpress card works much better with this option.

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Tested on an old Sempron machine (I didn't realize that it was 64-bit) with nVidia graphics. Worked fine. Booted off a flash drive along with the devx. Used jamesbond's load-sfs tool and compiled some packages. Very quick.
gcmartin wrote:Responders here in this Off-Topic thread seemingly are not struggling with finances for computing resources or entertainment needs. I would bet that most, if not all, of this subset of forum users have at least 1, if not more that 1, 64bit PCs.
I don't see the connection. There is now lots of old 64-bit hardware around in the surplus market.

kirk

#49 Post by kirk »

DC,

I re-uploaded the vlc-1.1.11.pet with dvb enabled and lirc too. I've tested nether function though. Xine works nice for me :).

Sage

#50 Post by Sage »

There is now lots of old 64-bit hardware around in the surplus market.
Untrue! Although I have a few, that's just because folks know of my interests in HW - and all were 'repair jobs'. If you read other threads, and more importantly, other Fora, you'd realise that the world doesn't stop at NYC, or, in your case, Newfoundland! Still plenty of 486/PI&II/Durons out in RoW. And don't forget, the world's richest nation has 50m folks living in total destitution, who not only don't have a PC, they live on the roadsides with nowhere to plug in...

kirk

#51 Post by kirk »

Sage wrote:
There is now lots of old 64-bit hardware around in the surplus market.
Untrue! Although I have a few, that's just because folks know of my interests in HW - and all were 'repair jobs'. If you read other threads, and more importantly, other Fora, you'd realise that the world doesn't stop at NYC, or, in your case, Newfoundland! Still plenty of 486/PI&II/Durons out in RoW. And don't forget, the world's richest nation has 50m folks living in total destitution, who not only don't have a PC, they live on the roadsides with nowhere to plug in...
Guys, take this stuff to another tread please.

joe0855

#52 Post by joe0855 »

Hey Kirk and Jamesbond,

I was able to get my wireless networking going for some reason. I can now consistently get wireless, however when I reboot my laptop I have to always go into the Network Wizard and manually pull up and 'Use this profile'. Isn't there a setting to always use a profile at start-up?

Also, this may be a question for the folks at Apache Friends but do you know if Xampp 1.7.4 works in Fatdog64? For some reason, I cannot get the MySQL service started (Xampp is located in opt/lampp). Everything else (ie Apache, ProFTPD) starts up just fine. Thanks.

Luv'in Fatdog64!

Sage

#53 Post by Sage »

Bit more fiddling with the 939 and pfix= (almost everything!) runs quite nicely, albeit with the usual size/res. video issues, but this one has an on-board ATI chipset. Can we include the Dutch Uni repos in PPM, please, as they run a lot faster for a larger portion of the day in Europe. Midori not in the list?

LateAdopter

#54 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello kirk & jamesbond

Thanks for providing Fatdog 64 and the VLC pet.

The combination is the first time, on a puppy, that I have managed to play my 1920x1080x25i TV recording with YADIF double framerate deinterlace without dropping frames on my Athlon II x2 240.

I had found using VLC on LH64 that the 64 bit version of VLC was noticeably more efficient at decoding than any 32 bit version that I have tried. But, with the ati driver, X was using 40% x 1 core which did not leave enough for VLC.

Since you have the the latest X.Org/Mesa/Gallium stuff which supports direct rendering, I thought I would give it a try. That worked well.

The total cpu load is 85% average 95% peak but no noticeable dropped frames. That is as good as I get in Windows 32bit using ffdshow. Excellent. Thank you!

Since I am new to Linux I have several questions:

- I guess there is an error in the VLC PET because VLC cannot save its configuration. It gives the following messages

Code: Select all

qt4 debug: Saving the simple preferences
main warning: could not create /root/config/vlc: permission denied
main error: no configuration directory

- Although you have added DVB to VLC, the Transport Stream demuxer is still missing. This is the case with all VLC packages that I have tried with various puppies.

VLC attempts to demux using the mpeg-ps demuxer which fails completely

The Windows version of VLC uses a mpeg-ts demuxer: (libts_plugin.dll) , but mpeg-ts demuxer is not listed in the Linux versions.

In order to play my recordings, I have to force VLC to use the ffmpeg demuxer. This plays H.264 video + AC3 audio recordings but with H.264 + mpeg2 audio it does not play the audio.

Do you have any idea why the mpeg-ts demuxer would be missing in the Linux versions when it is there in the Windows version?

- I would like to get the GPU power management working in X.Org/mesa/gallium, if possible. My PC is taking 7 Watts more, at idle, than the ATI driver.

X.Org say:
You can select the methods via sysfs. Echo "dynpm" or "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
When I look up sysfs it seems to be something you access from software. Can I do this from the command line?

- I would like to set my processor VIDs to something more sensible than AMD does. To do that I need kernel modules cpuid and msr.

If I modprobe cpuid or msr, I get a FATAL: module not found error.

Would you be able to add them, sometime? They are present in LUPU 528 and lh64.

Sorry from such a long post. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you.

jawaharpeter

hibernation is possible in Puppy64 ?

#55 Post by jawaharpeter »

is it faster than 32 bit puppy? i use 5.2.8
hibernation is possible in Puppy64 ?

kirk

#56 Post by kirk »

is it faster than 32 bit puppy?
Yes, but you may not notice depending on what you run.
hibernation is possible....
No, but suspend to ram is supported.
Code:
qt4 debug: Saving the simple preferences
main warning: could not create /root/config/vlc: permission denied
main error: no configuration directory
Vlc has a strange way of locating it config files. You would think since it's running as user spot it would locate it's config files in spots home directory. I don't want to spend the time to figure out what their trying to do. I've recompiled VLC to run as root and re-uploaded it to the repo. This is how it's configured:

Code: Select all

# ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-alsa --disable-dbus --disable-dbus-control --disable-lua --enable-dvb --disable-libgcrypt --enable-lirc --disable-remoteosd --enable-run-as-root
Do you have any idea why the mpeg-ts demuxer would be missing in the Linux versions when it is there in the Windows version?
Don't know, it does seem to build mpeg audio plugins.
Quote:
You can select the methods via sysfs. Echo "dynpm" or "profile" to /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method

When I look up sysfs it seems to be something you access from software. Can I do this from the command line?
Yes, they're saying to do this:

# echo "dynpm" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
- I would like to set my processor VIDs to something more sensible than AMD does. To do that I need kernel modules cpuid and msr.
I've attached a pet with those modules. I haven't tested them other than making sure they load without error.
Dutch Uni repos in PPM
I don't know what that is.
Attachments
cpuid-msr.pet
(4.44 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

01micko

#57 Post by 01micko »

Hi guys

Q> What is the most unique thing about a linux 64 bit OS (apart form the obvious!)??? Is it the existance of /usr/lib64 ? (is that corrcet dirname, can't boot FD right now) It's a case of updating a proggy of mine to autodetect if the system is 64 bit.

Cheers (and TIA)

EDIT: if I run uname -m what's the output in Fatdog?

EDIT@: Ok.. in FD now and it returns x86_64 as expected.. cool

DC asked if my libreoffice downloader could support FD and LHP64, well now it does. That's what all this fuss was about. Why not try it out?

See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 027#505027
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 06:00, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#58 Post by Sage »

Quote:
Dutch Uni repos in PPM

I don't know what that is.
Good grief man - NYC-world's-end syndrome?
It's in every other Puppy except yours! nluug
'nl' stands for 'Nederland' = remember New Amsterdam! It's your heritage. But we 'bought' it - we were duped...
'u' - Uni/University.

8-bit

#59 Post by 8-bit »

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop 64 bit system.
Hardinfo shows my wireless device as a Realtek rtl8192se rev B
But when I use the connection wizard and load that module, it tells me no new interfaces found.
I also inadvertently blacklisted my wired port driver, but did not save settings so I guess I am safe there.
I booted from CD with fatdog pfix=ram.

But to get on to my question.
Has the rtl8192se wireless driver been tested?
What can I do to try to set it up manually?
I also tried downloading the Vista/Win7 64bit driver and with ndiswrapper, that did not recognize my wifi device either.
I also checked to see what drivers Win7 64bit uses and it listed two drivers being used. I assume one was a firmware driver and the other the wifi network device driver.
I know not to try to use a 32bit system driver.
Oh, by the way. Windows 7 64bit uses 32bit drivers for the device and puts them in the system32 directory.

LateAdopter

#60 Post by LateAdopter »

hello kirk

Thanks for your quick reply

The cpuid msr pet did what was wanted.

I use TurionPowerControl 0.30 by blackshard to set my Athlon II x2 pstate voltages. I did not need to compile it because the Fedora 64bit executable, in the download, works on fd64.

AMD set pstate 0 to 1.4v but mine works perfectly at 1.1v which about halves the power consumption measured on the ATX 12v supply.

The total wallplug power of my PC with VLC playing the 1920x1080x25i recording with YADIF double framerate is:

75W to 84W with pstate 0 at 1.4v

58W to 61W at 1.1v

This makes a big reduction in the noise from the PSU fan.

The results for the KMS experiment were not as spectacular!

I tried method "dynpm" but that had no effect.

But method "profile" with profile "auto" reduced the power by about 3W all of the time, not just idle. So it's partly working. 3W is not significant for my desktop PC but might be worthwhile on a laptop.

On my PC, puppies typically take 45W idle with the X.org driver and 37W idle with the ATI driver. But with win2k it idles at 30W with the display on or off.

I need to do some research on why dynpm does not do anything.

Thanks again for your help.