Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#821 Post by edoc »

Is it possible that the Puplet name and version number could be written on top of the background (whatever background one chooses to use) - rather than either present only on a pre-made background (usually dominating the background)?

Since most of us seem to like a customized appearance, and many have expressed a desire to know precisely which version we have loaded, this might be helpful.

I know that I have several versions of Puppy, and several sub-versions of certain Puplets, and it's not always easy to know which is loaded on which computer -- especially when the background has been customized by the user.

It would be cool to have a block area of text - and a menu in setup from which to select what data to write to the screen - and to also be able to choose where on the screen to place it.

Or does that already exist and I am just out-of-the-loop?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

DaveS

#822 Post by DaveS »

edoc wrote:Is it possible that the Puplet name and version number could be written on top of the background (whatever background one chooses to use) - rather than either present only on a pre-made background (usually dominating the background)?

Since most of us seem to like a customized appearance, and many have expressed a desire to know precisely which version we have loaded, this might be helpful.

I know that I have several versions of Puppy, and several sub-versions of certain Puplets, and it's not always easy to know which is loaded on which computer -- especially when the background has been customized by the user.

It would be cool to have a block area of text - and a menu in setup from which to select what data to write to the screen - and to also be able to choose where on the screen to place it.

It sure would. I usually just edit the text under the 'home' desktop icon.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

stu90

#823 Post by stu90 »

edoc wrote:Is it possible that the Puplet name and version number could be written on top of the background (whatever background one chooses to use) - rather than either present only on a pre-made background (usually dominating the background)?

You could do it with conky and use /etc/DISTRO_SPECS file for the relevant informations.

{exec grep 'DISTRO_NAME=' /etc/DISTRO_SPECS | cut -d "'" -f 2} ${exec grep 'DISTRO_VERSION' /etc/DISTRO_SPECS | cut -d "=" -f 2}

nooby

#824 Post by nooby »

DaveS wrote: I usually just edit the text under the 'home' desktop icon.

Home? There is no Home icon in slacko now when I look at it. Maybe there are in Dpup Exprimo 5.X.5?

I did something similar now inspired by you. The Help icon that one can be changed to Slacko B2 Help or just Slacko or Dpup Exprimo 5.X.5

looks good to me.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#825 Post by DaveS »

nooby wrote:
DaveS wrote: I usually just edit the text under the 'home' desktop icon.

Home? There is no Home icon in slacko now when I look at it. Maybe there are in Dpup Exprimo 5.X.5?

I do something that looks odd. I make a txt.txt file and then I symlink that one to the pinboard and rename it like the OS version I am in. Looks very bad. Ugly don't do that at home :)
Sorry Nooby... the little house icon that I think says 'files' is also called the 'home' icon. (bit of a hangover from dark distant Ubuntu days)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#826 Post by pemasu »

Using stu90`s advice.
Exercise. Reduce the /etc/conky/conky.conf so that only the distro name is showing. Lol. Not included in the pet.
You need to reduce the cpu rows so that they represent your number of cpu`s

Code: Select all

${color white}CPU1: ${cpu cpu1}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu1 8,60}
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 12 Oct 2011, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#827 Post by pemasu »

I have uploaded Pmusic 2.01 with libid3 and net radio stations list to the pet_packages-exprimo repo.
With ffmpeg-0.8.0 it plays also radio stations. Ffmpeg-0.8.0 has been uploaded as pet and sfs to the repo.

edoc

#828 Post by edoc »

Y'all, all y'all, you-all, y'alls ... well, you know who you are! ;-)

I just had to say that you are all a never-ending code-slinging and problem-solving source of amazement to me!

Thanks for all that you do.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

nancy reagan

#829 Post by nancy reagan »

edoc wrote:Y'all, all y'all, you-all, y'alls ... well, you know who you are! ;-)

I just had to say that you are all a never-ending code-slinging and problem-solving source of amazement to me!

Thanks for all that you do.

I SECOND THAT !!

pemasu

#830 Post by pemasu »

Has anybody followed if there is already updated Firefox after DigiNotar hijacked SSL sertificates problem. I have understood that all theirs SSL stuff will be removed from root folder of SSL sertificates. Dpup Exprimo 5.X.5 uses Seamonkey 2.3.2 which is in fact Seamonkey 2.3.1 with those DigiNotar root SSL stuff removed. That is why the naming is 2.3.1-2.32, hasty update.

Now I need to update Polarpup which uses Firefox. Also this is brief announcement that 5.X.5 is okay.

James C

#831 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Has anybody followed if there is already updated Firefox after DigiNotar hijacked SSL sertificates problem. I have understood that all theirs SSL stuff will be removed from root folder of SSL sertificates. Dpup Exprimo 5.X.5 uses Seamonkey 2.3.2 which is in fact Seamonkey 2.3.1 with those DigiNotar root SSL stuff removed. That is why the naming is 2.3.1-2.32, hasty update.

Now I need to update Polarpup which uses Firefox. Also this is brief announcement that 5.X.5 is okay.
Firefox 6.0.2 is out and I believe it takes care of that too.SeaMonkey is already up to 2.3.3 as well.

edoc

#832 Post by edoc »

SM 2.4 Beta 1 is available.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

DaveS

#833 Post by DaveS »

My Firefox 7beta updated itself this morning with what was described as important security fixes.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#834 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:My Firefox 7beta updated itself this morning with what was described as important security fixes.
SeaMonkey does this also. :wink:
Now at 2.3.3 :lol:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#835 Post by pemasu »

I guess I will do security update 5.X.6 to get Seamonkey 2.3.3 in distro. I dont want that my distro has compromised SSL sertificates included which Iran can use to their purposes. Theoretical risk, but anyway. Even though Seamonkey do those updates easily. I will update my icons and other stuff updates also. Gtkdialog will be latest. Some other application updates also. And it will have latest firefox install script in /root/my-applications/bin included. Official version.

DaveS

#836 Post by DaveS »

Seamonkey updated itself today and shows seamonkey 2.4 now.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#837 Post by pemasu »

Yeah. There seems to be fast security update phase now going. I need to freeze to some version. 2.3.3 is the one you get from Seamonkey first page. I believe it is secure enough and those compromised SSL sertificates are removed. People can update to the newer from that version. I will check tomorrow what is status for official version. Then I will build and upload security updated 5.X.6. It will have some facelifting for e17. Nothing fancy anymore.
By the way, I havent got even one e17 crash with my compile.

I was thinking of including Openbox also. But maybe 3 wm is too much in one distro.

James C

#838 Post by James C »

FWIW, my SeaMonkey has updated to 2.3.3 and Firefox has updated to 6.0.2.
Attachments
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.5.png
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 746 times

pemasu

#839 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.6 has been uploaded. It is mainly to provide non compromised browser. Seamonkey is version 2.3.3. It does not have Diginotar SSL root certificates. Because Puppies main sfs is ready only, best way to provide secure browser is to update base distro.

I have also updated some apps to the latest. E17 has got some facelifting, nothing serious. Just icon updates, Favorite, desktop icons, Ibar apps rearrengements.
And I seem to have missed Zathura icon real location. It is in attached pet.
I dont want to process packages and build distro just for one missing icon in menu. Install the massive pet and there you go....

Download link:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... xprimo5X6/
Attachments
zathura-icon-fix-0.0.1.pet
(610 Bytes) Downloaded 264 times

don570

#840 Post by don570 »

I wrote a utility to launch windows of
favorite folders and disk partitions.

I call it quick_launch-1.0
Available from
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 24&t=71538

It works well in Exprimo because you
have xbindkeys built into the operating system.
Ctrl-shift-L is the keystroke combination to launch
it. It's very easy to install and use.

It makes the Enlightenment window manger
a lot easier to use but it works with the
other window managers.