Slacko B2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#41 Post by Sage »

Catch 22. Mostly, package managers now auto d/l dependencies along with principal app files. This isn't the case for Slacko from non-pet sources. Bit of a pain. When I tried to install Claws, it recognised it in the Salix repo but required another 12 dependencies, one of which was broken. Each of those claimed to need a vast complement of their own (which I ignored!). Probably incomers and, indeed, users aren't going to bother with all this messing around? It tends to compromise the amazing speed and simplicity usually associated with Slack-based distros. But I still like this offering immensely...
But, surprised to find that the Wary .pet for EudoraOSE works!

Icyos

#42 Post by Icyos »

Hi

because without Java and Flash installed a whole ton of websites wont work, and the user then has to go install em :)

nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

Icyos you make me curious. I will reboot into Slacko II and see if flash works on youtube. I have not downloaded it. I am a noob and fail at such advanced things :)

I get back here within 10 minutes and report if flash did work ok
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Icyos

#44 Post by Icyos »

nooby wrote:Icyos you make me curious. I will reboot into Slacko II and see if flash works on youtube. I have not downloaded it. I am a noob and fail at such advanced things :)

I get back here within 10 minutes and report if flash did work ok
Hi great but this is my whole point you should not have to download flash it should be installed allready :)

nooby

#45 Post by nooby »

I made use of the 499-4 iso so the latest version and if one click on Browse and accept that SeaMonkey starts up and if one are patient and do nothing then a small popup ask if one wants Flash and if one accept to get flash then it automatically install the latest version and one shut down and restart and it just work on youtube.

I am in Slacko II now the 499-4 version

Icyos

#46 Post by Icyos »

nooby wrote:I made use of the 499-4 iso so the latest version and if one click on Browse and accept that SeaMonkey starts up and if one are patient and do nothing then a small popup ask if one wants Flash and if one accept to get flash then it automatically install the latest version and one shut down and restart and it just work on youtube.

I am in Slacko II now the 499-4 version
Hi thats great but try going to www.runescape.com see if that works, it wont cause you need to install java, and thats my point :)

01micko

#47 Post by 01micko »

Flashplayer is unsupported by Slacko.. that doesn't mean you can't install it. Java is way too large to include in any Puppy iso considering it's uselessness. Beg to differ? I bet :wink:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Icyos

#48 Post by Icyos »

01micko wrote:Flashplayer is unsupported by Slacko.. that doesn't mean you can't install it. Java is way too large to include in any Puppy iso considering it's uselessness. Beg to differ? I bet :wink:
Giggles no i just trying to represent the users not the people who are enthusiastic about puppy thats all, as a lot of sites will not work without em both, no matter how crap you think they are giggles.

01micko

#49 Post by 01micko »

giggles.
They are both there.. easy to get for the must haves, Java, Flash.. just unsupported, any bugs to do with will not be catered to..

Icyos

#50 Post by Icyos »

01micko wrote:
giggles.
They are both there.. easy to get for the must haves, Java, Flash.. just unsupported, any bugs to do with will not be catered to..
Hi I understand but you see in windows both come down automatically, in Puppy flash now does which is fab, but java does not and most "USERS" wont have a clue how to install it.

Hence we have a barrier to normal users as they will just go back to Windows muttering Puppy is crap cause their Java sites dont work.

01micko

#51 Post by 01micko »

Icyos

As a compromise I might make a little proggy to install java as easy as flash can be installed. IMHO java is a pain and buggy albeit essential to some users (yes.. I have had the hassles from wifey over that one :roll: ).

You have to remember our server space is donated by ibiblio.org and mirrors. I hate to abuse such privilege.

Cheers

tubeguy

#52 Post by tubeguy »

Icyos wrote:
01micko wrote:
giggles.
Hi I understand but you see in windows both come down automatically, in Puppy flash now does which is fab, but java does not and most "USERS" wont have a clue how to install it.

Hence we have a barrier to normal users as they will just go back to Windows muttering Puppy is crap cause their Java sites dont work.
Icy, with much respect, Puppy is not trying to be like Windows or anything else, it is what it is.

I can see both sides of this, mick is staying true to being lightweight and icy you are saying it should be more complete for average users. From the beginning Puppy was one vision of what an OS should be, and open to all to modify for their own needs, striking what this user sees as a perfect balance between the majors and something like Tiny Core. As nooby said, a flash install is prompted on first run of Seamonkey, and java is readily available in the repo. Neither one is actually needed to do basic computer things like email and documents.

Just my 2¢.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

DaveS

#53 Post by DaveS »

I built an sfs for Java a while ago. Out of date now I guess but works just fine. Its here http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/DaveS/java/

username puppy
password linux
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#54 Post by 01micko »

My point Dave is that we shouldn't have to host java.. same with flash.. thanks to Barry we can get around flash. I know for a fact java is a bit more difficult, but I made a proggy to get the latest libreoffice, why not java? I reckon I can do it and offer to save as an sfs or pet and install :wink: .. best of all worlds. :)

DaveS

#55 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:My point Dave is that we shouldn't have to host java.. same with flash.. thanks to Barry we can get around flash. I know for a fact java is a bit more difficult, but I made a proggy to get the latest libreoffice, why not java? I reckon I can do it and offer to save as an sfs or pet and install :wink: .. best of all worlds. :)
For sure...
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#56 Post by DaveS »

The GUI for fisynclient seems incomplete (early version?). Compare that from here, upper image, with that from Spup1.

Some options are missing and have to set by hand.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#57 Post by 01micko »

I dunno Dave.. I rarely get to use my son's lappy, and my eee doesn't have a problem. Stripe reported all was ok with his new lappy so the plot thickens!

Seems to me that only true "synaptics" are affected.. I think my eee is elantech and it's fine.. (verified.. "cat /proc/bus/input/devices').. dunno about alps.

JonT says my flloopfix script works (worked on sonny's HP) ..it's rough but may be a start. Still a mystery to me... I may write a wrapper for flsynclient.. still stewing on this issue.

sszindian

#58 Post by sszindian »

01micko:

As per your request!

Code run in terminal to check graphics card - Slacko Bata-2

lspci -nn|grep -i vga

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300] : Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter [1039:6325]

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#59 Post by Lobster »

After using the advice here and the next post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 957#560957
was able to record a pawed cast (in the announcements section) from the command line . . . 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#60 Post by nooby »

Icyos wrote:..

try going to www.runescape.com see if that works, it wont cause you need to install java, and thats my point :)

That site's trailer worked. But doesn't one need to be a member to play?

I have NoScript and that one force me to accept layer upon layer of ad firms.

Not what I want :)

I agree that them say I need to load plugins. But Game sites are a special case are them not? Gamers buy fancy machines with water cooling and double power supply and so on why would a Gamer care for Puppy?

Them would be Using Arch or Gento? or some other specialized Distro?