Which USB external hard disk drive should I buy? (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
Antipodal

Which USB external hard disk drive should I buy? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Antipodal »

Ladies & Gentlemen:

Learning about computers and Linux through Puppy has becomed much more difficult for me than what I had imagined and that is making me feel as an extreme ignorant on these three subjects.

Despite that, I have yet not decided to resign and, at this point in which I have made my mind to buy a USB external hard disk, I would like to know if at the time of purchase I should have some special care.

I ‘ve used Puppy 4.1.1 (not much experience) and Lupu 5.1.1 (with which my experience has been much less) with a Pentium 4, MSI 775 945GCM7 mobo, 1 GB RAM, MSI video card, and so on.

Since I’ve had a good exprience with the Western Digital 160 GB Hard Disk I chose for the desktop I assembled and since in my area WDBPCK5000ABK and WDBABV5000ABK can be easily found I had thought in buying the first one.

But because
• They are advertised as “Formatted for Windows. Can be reformatted for Mac
Last edited by Antipodal on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You're overthinking this. I've used at least 4 different brands of USB hard disk drive with Puppy without any problem whatsoever. To put it another way, every USB drive of any kind that I've tried has worked in Puppy. Furthermore, I can't remember anyone reporting in this forum or anywhere else that a particular brand or model of USB external hard disk drive wouldn't work with Puppy. I conclude that it is highly unlikely that Puppy will have any problem using any USB hard disk drive.

Antipodal

Thank you Flash

#3 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you Flash!! :D

Tomorrow I'll buy my WD with absolute confidence.

Antipodal