(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 Sep 2020, 14:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to turn off monitor after a period of not using?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
mitakka

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 16:34    Post subject:  How to turn off monitor after a period of not using?
Subject description: Not just blank it, turn it off.

Hello, I can not find how to turn off the monitor after a preset period of time not using the computer. I don't like the option for just blanking the monitor, I want real turn off. Tried some xorg.conf and xinitrc editing but nothing happens
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 16:48    Post subject:  

Turn off the power button.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
mitakka

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 17:23    Post subject:  

Smile) And doing it every time I leave the computer? The problem is that I dont know when I will leave it for 1 minute and when for one hour. I think it is pretty stupid for a nice distro like puppy not to have such a essential option
mitakka

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 17:53    Post subject:  

It is interesting that this is the second time I spend hours finding a solution then give up and asking here, and I find the solution before somebody help me in my topic. So in fact the forum is very helpful Smile

The solution:

Putting the following script in /root/Startup, after 15 minutes of inactivity Puppy runs the default screensaver and after other 15 minutes (total 30 minutes) turns off the monitor.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
# Start default screen saver after 15 min
# Interval 10 sec for change of background pattern
xset s noblank s 900 10
# Set DPMS (Energy Star) Standby: 30 min Suspend: 0 Off: 0
xset dpms 1800 1800 1800
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 18:23    Post subject:  

I turned your question into a 'joke' to make you aware, that essential info on your equipment is needed. You didn't give it.
Nobody could know that you have equipment which support DPMS.
Not all equipment do.

Hope you'll give more precise info on a next question.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug 2011, 18:27    Post subject:  

What about you making this a how to in the how to section of the forum.
mitakka

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011, 07:40    Post subject:  

I thought that such a function is universal, very very old and no need to tell my hardware and software specs. I was very surprised that this distro doesnt have a GUI for that. Puppy is a strange distro, it run so fast and without any need for video and audio drivers, I was fascinated that such a small OS can do such an incredible things. Especially the pup save file is something magnificient. Together with that great stuff, Puppy have some small problems that I can not understand, this is not a matter of months of coding. As a free OS I can not want anything and complain from anything, I just find this strange. I spent four days adjusting puppy to be comfortable for me. Nothing complicated, I can do that now for 1 hour, but the googling for this small problems is such a pain, too little information about puppy even on the official site. Some dude wrote a book of 69 pages. The book is full of crap for idiots and explaining the functions of many programs, which functions I can understand from the name, no need reading a book. It appears that this forum is the place for information, but the search engine gives me topics by which subject I can not understand which one is for me Smile However this simple script is working for me. But a new problem - I cant make it start automatically on boot, I put the script in startup folder, added it to start automatically from some gui program, but no results. If I start the script manually everithing is OK. About the specs - I am on Puppy 5.2.8, hardware doesnt matter right?
Béèm

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011, 09:18    Post subject:  

Some HW doesn't support dmps. So it's always good to know what HW is involved.

As for the question, why the script doesn't work as expected, I hope you verified it is executable in Startup.

What I do is have the script, which I know it works, somewhere and create a link to it in Startup.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
mitakka

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:55    Post subject:  

Thank you guys, it is working now, I dont know why because I didnt change anything, but this is not important Smile
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: