Lucid Puppy 5.2.7 RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#1341 Post by Sage »

Predictably poor reading and comprehension from one nation!
Let the records show that I have always praised the efforts of the ertstwhile, pd. This is a magnificent project.
Of one thing I am certain. What I say will be misinterpreted and garner opprobrium...
Should've said misrepresented.

bigpup

#1342 Post by bigpup »

Atle wrote:Could someone talk 5 minutes to explain the different Pup's?

I get all confused. Dpup, Spup, SlacPup, Wary and Bones.

Its not really any good guide to find around on that, and I feel it keeps a lot of users away, as its "there", but you can hardly find out "why"
Basic answer:
They are different versions of Puppy using components from the other mayor operating systems based on Linux.
They are all Puppies, just using different building blocks to make a Puppy.
Each one has it's own special features.
They all have the basic functions you expect in Puppy.
Think of them like cars.
Same company name, but different models made from different parts.
Specific differences would take too long to explain.
One you ask about is not a Puppy.
Bones is a tool that is used in making a Puppy using Woof.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#1343 Post by playdayz »

There have been 6 releases of Lucid in the last year and a half--that is a great run, but it is getting a little long in the tooth.

With the release of Wary and the upcoming release of Slacko, there is, to my mind, no reason to officially release the project to update Lucid 5.2.5. It originally designed to be a bug fix release but it assumed a life of its own--imho we made more changes and innovations than we had time to test.

But Lucid will not disappear. Rather it will gracefully retire from center stage by becoming a Puppy Derivative. All of the changes and innovations from the project to update Lucid have been released as Two-Headed Dog
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70688

Additionally, all of the changes and innovations plus a newer kernel, 2.6.37.6, the same one used in Slacko, have been released as Three-Headed Dog. Using the same kernel as Slacko will allow us to leverage some of the work 01micko has done in Slacko--in particular, the ATI Catalyst and Nvida proprietary video drivers are already available.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

These new dogs will be maintained (albeit at a more relaxed pace than the hectic development of the lucid releases) because Lucid is, after all, an LTS (Long Term Support) release.

James C

#1344 Post by James C »

There also has been a new release of Lucid Retro 525-2.6.30.5-v4 ,it now boots straight to the desktop and the full install bug is fixed.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 627#521627

ICPUG

I have a dilemma

#1345 Post by ICPUG »

A newbie comes up and says I like your Puppy. How do I get it?

I ask them what hardware they have and get told it is fairly modern.

What do I say?

Do I point at the official Puppy 5.2.5 and say you also need to download the instant update 01, ... We all like doing that!

Do I point at Two-Headed Dog 528 even though it is a derivative and not an official Pup. We know there are bugs in it but:

Are there any features that were bugless in Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 but have become buggy in Two Headed Dog 528?

If the answer to that last question is NO then surely Two Headed Dog is better than Lucid 5.2.5 (cos it has more features and it includes the instant updates - a prime driver for the 5.2.5 update in the first place).

For that reason alone this should be the latest Official Lucid Puppy instead of 5.2.5. It would not require any more bug reports to be read. Just issue what we have got - officially. It would be nice to identify in the release notes the features of 528 that are buggy (experimental!) but I don't want to make extra work so ignore that request if you want.

Citing the Wary 5.1.3 release and impending Slacko as a reason not to continue the Lupu line officially seems illogical to me.

I use Wary on my old clunker but it isn't exactly beautilicious and looks out of place in comparison with other distros on newer hardware.

Slacko may indeed be the next step although we are not sure when it will arrive.

I was also devastated to read, on the same day that Playdayz cancelled the next official Lupu, that the latest update of Slacko would no longer boot straight to desktop! Now I don't give a toss about that but newbies like it!

Any answers to the emboldened question above and my dilemma appreciated.

Playdayz - if the answer to that emboldened question is NO please reconsider and make this Two Headed Pup an official Lupu.

playdayz

#1346 Post by playdayz »

ICPUG, Lucid Puppy is not cancelled, only the project to make an update. The current Official release of Lucid Puppy is 5.2.5--it has been good enough for 4 months, so I think it is good enough for 6 more weeks.

I don't think someone could go wrong with either 5.2.5 or with Two-Headed dog, or even Three-headed Dog, or for that matter with the Ice Bound Puppies or the Dpup Xtremea, etc. But if someone wants the official Lucid--it is 5.2.5.

I hope you will express your opinion on booting to the desktop in the Slacko forum.

playdayz

#1347 Post by playdayz »

01micko said
I didn't lift a finger (since 520). How am I "cheif dev"? (re: "Two-Headed Dog"). I'm only an idiot that knows (sometimes) which button to push on my keyboard, and I haven't done that much lately in a Lupu sense.
I just saw this. You were Chief Developer of the entire Lucid Puppy series. No matter that you were not as active on the last version--there would be no versions without your work. Thanks.

ICPUG

#1348 Post by ICPUG »

Playdayz

01Micko said here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 468#553468

'I'd prefer full boot to desktop but it is in the too hard basket ATM for me.'

Consequently, I see no point about expressing my opinion on boot to desktop on the Slacko forum. 01Micko has made a decision and I have to respect that.

Thanks for your response to my dilemma, although I am not sure what the 6-week reference is all about, unless that is you opinion of how long Slacko will take to become released.

While it is frustrating, I have to respect your decision to make Two Headed Dog 528 a derivative and not the latest official Lucid Puppy.

I express my thanks for all you have done so far. A truly amazing Project Leader.

playdayz

#1349 Post by playdayz »

I am not sure what the 6-week reference is all about, unless that is you opinion of how long Slacko will take to become released.

Yes, That is the timetable for Slacko.

You might want to check this out. Thanks to everyone for their opinions. And thanks also because those opinions were all expressed with respect and reasoning.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

playdayz

#1350 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Puppy 5,2,8 has been released on AUG 17 2011.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

Delph

#1351 Post by Delph »

pemasu wrote:To be continued. I made pet from ubuntu acpitool.
Laptop owners can test combination by installing above acpid pet and this acpitool pet.
I suggest rebooting before reporting the usability.
Hi Pemasu
I installed acpid 1.0.10.1.pet in place of acpid 1.0.10-i486 I was using. (with acpitool-0.5.7)
The difference is that my pc now switches off by closing the lid, which was not working before.
But a new problem came on: when i open the lid, the screen lights on, but only for two seconds, en goes black. I then press the power button, et all is right. But not pleasant to have to open the lid and then to press a button. Any idea?

HP Pavilion G8 1105eb; 5.25 frugal on hdd

thanks for your attention

Delph