Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#161 Post by playdayz »

Firewallstate update and PupControl update will be in Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8. Coming soon to a computer near you.

Thanks radky and tasmod.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Mouse, Yes, I needed to fix the pet, which I have now done. Thanks for helping debug. This one is still experimental too. It has the latest ffmpeg libraries built-in, so it is less likely to cause problems

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mp34026-002.pet

majorfoo

#162 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
majorfoo, Thanks for doing all the debugging for me ;-) I will repair the pet ASAP. I was actually amazed that it worked at all--it has gtk3 plus ffmpeg 0.8.2. Yes, the libmpg123 needed to be there. I am not sure why you had to delete the png extension--was that only to eliminate the "error" message in the console. Without the .png extension some apps do not display the icon in the jwm menu--so the choice is either the message (harmless) or the icon (which people complain about if it is not there!).

EDIT-> Weird. My install played an mp3 without libmpg123 being present. What it did was to use ffmpeg/ffaudio to play it (I am pretty sure). Perhaps you could take a look at File -> Preferences -> Plugin -> Input and compare what you see to my picture. I want to make sure that you are getting the ffmpeg support (last line on mine).

The link at the top of this page now has the repaired Audacious 3.0.2 pet. It is still experimental, until we see if it breaks anything!

I should say that for non-fanatics (me and majorfoo being fanatics) Audacious 2.5.4 is fully functional (like Data).
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -2.5.4.pet
agree the .png extension is harmless - does not prevent application from running.

when I first tried Audacious 3.02, using gui entry in multimedia, I received error regarding codecs.

went to command line and that is where I saw msg about .png extension and missing library.

Audacious - file - preferences - plugins
my copy is exactly same as your example.

You provided link to audacious 2.54 pet -- I have been running audacious 3.0-lucid.pet since you first posted and have not had any problems with it.

Not sure about the fanatic part - I just try to understand why something does not work - my very, very limited knowledge of linux sometimes keeps me from explaining problem so others can understand what I am trying to communicate.

majorfoo

bigpup

#163 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

majorfoo

#164 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:***Experimental***

Audacious 3.0.2. It was compiled in Lucid 5.2.8. The pet includes libgtk-3.0.8 which is required (as Audacious now uses either gtk3 or a version later than we have of gtk2). The pet also includes the most recent official release of the ffmpeg multimedia libraries 0.8.2.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Audac ... 2-lucid528
playdayz
I booted original 528 cd and downloaded new audacious-3.0.2-lucid528
that you mentioned in lucid 529 thread on 8-30-11

renamed audacious-3-0.2-lucid528 to
audacious-3.02-lucid528.pet so would install as pet file

ran this from console and received following:

sh-4.1# audacious

** (audacious:4500): WARNING **: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/audacious.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'audacious.png'(should not include extension)
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/root/.smb/smb.conf":
No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/root/.smb/smb.conf.append":
No such file or directory
Using netbios name PUPPYPC.
Using workgroup TNG-WORKGROUP.
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
pulseaudio: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused

we know that the .png extension is harmless

non of the above prevented application from working, sounds great

this for your information

majorfoo

DPUP5520

#165 Post by DPUP5520 »

Don't know if anyone else had this problem with a similar wireless card but the microcode for my intel centrino advanced-n wireless card (iwlagn driver) was missing, fixed it with pet below.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

playdayz

#166 Post by playdayz »

Not sure about the fanatic part
majorfoo, I meant fanatic about seeing the latest version work. I think that is a great aspect of Puppy--because we are smaller than other distros I think it is easier for us to get the latest versions into working order and available for users. For instance, Ubuntu Oneiric is still using ffmpeg 0.7.1, but we already have 0.8.2 in use--and it is the default in Slacko. Sorry that I forgot to correct the omission of the pet extension--you had the right fix. Sickness Audacious 3.0.2 is experimental, I have changed the pet to eliminate the menu entry and to include libmpg123--some people might want to redownload. Thanks for your help.

Add: I had left the pet extension off the link, but it still downloaded the file with the pet extension, but without the extension. Weird, but now fixed. I think maybe my diddywahdiddy server does that somehow.

playdayz

#167 Post by playdayz »

From Distrowatch -> Wojciech Kozikowski has emailed DistroWatch (and Linus Torvalds) with a complaint about his inability to find a distribution that would run on an i586 machine: "I wanted to install Linux on my old AMD K6+III/450 MHz PC

Playdayz comment -> Lucid Puppy Linux 5.1.1 is tested on AMD K6. It is not the latest Lucid Puppy but we keep it available for that reason.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index3.html

bigpup

#168 Post by bigpup »

mitakka has come up with a Simple script that can be placed in Startup.
Putting the following script in /root/Startup, after 15 minutes of inactivity Puppy runs the default screensaver and after other 15 minutes (total 30 minutes) turns off the monitor.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 188#559188
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

rerwin patch updated

#169 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
After posting my "complete" set of changes, it occurred top me that the dialog messages preceding the required X-restart did not alert the user as to what to expect -- in a language expected by the user. The messages in the "personalized settings" script have language support. So, additional instructions are appropriate and are added to the "patch" package, replacing the original package.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 769#558769

The new messages take into account that both a host rename and Xorgwizard request could be entered at the same time. During the restart, the hostname logout-xwin operation is done first, followed by execution of the Xorg wizard and return to the desktop. In addition to the messages, I corrected a minor bug I found that resulted from a subtle name change.

An operational note: When a user enters changes to the "personalized settings" dialog window, all needed changes should be made at once if the Xorg wizard is not to be used. If the wizard is used, the dialog will reappear afterward, allowing further entries to be made. It does not reappear after other changes. This is the same as before. If anyone has remaining issues with the "personalized settings" dialog, now is a good time to mention them, so that I might address them.
Richard

Bruce_n_Duane

Bad file

#170 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

playdayz

FYI
The file lupu_devx_528-2.sfs is only 2.3k and not 139.1Mb when I attempted to download it from the repository link on the release webpage.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... _525-2.sfs

I tried twice in the last hour with the same resulting 2.3k file.

-Bruce.

Sherpa

#171 Post by Sherpa »

DPUP5520 wrote:Don't know if anyone else had this problem with a similar wireless card but the microcode for my intel centrino advanced-n wireless card (iwlagn driver) was missing, fixed it with pet below.
Total newbie at this so forgive me if I keep this simple. Was using Puppy 5.2.5 until my employer decided to upgrade my laptop. Now I can't see my wireless card to get internet access. Tried 5.2.8 and 5.2.9 but still no change. Found the above download and again tried it but no luck. Is there anything else I can try?

Details:
Toshiba Tecra R850-140
Intel (R) Centrino (R) Advanced-N 6230

Many thanks in advance

majorfoo

#172 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Not sure about the fanatic part
majorfoo, I meant fanatic about seeing the latest version work. I think that is a great aspect of Puppy--because we are smaller than other distros I think it is easier for us to get the latest versions into working order and available for users. Thanks for your help.

Add: I had left the pet extension off the link, but it still downloaded the file with the pet extension, but without the extension. Weird, but now fixed. I think maybe my diddywahdiddy server does that somehow.
I am just trying to learn why some of the apps don't work. I enjoy trying to figure out what is wrong and sometimes I can fix by copying lib from another puppy. I am not a programmer nor a developer. Just a dumb user trying to learn.

Thanks for you patience and help.

regards
majorfoo

playdayz

#173 Post by playdayz »

playdayz

FYI
The file lupu_devx_528-2.sfs is only 2.3k and not 139.1Mb when I attempted to download it from the repository link on the release webpage.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... _525-2.sfs
My apologies Bruce_n_Duane. I do that almost every time. I have to change permissions of an sfs file (but not of a pet which is why I forget).

By the release web page you mean http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70855

Direct link -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pup ... _528-2.sfs

aarf

#174 Post by aarf »

just saw it there http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/3293 ... ab=summary

edit: on the file info tab notice all the file names are in capital letters.

more there too lower down on the page different puppies all different sizes

Bruce_n_Duane

Webcam Viewer

#175 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Playdayz,

Thanks for fixing the lupu_devx_528-2.sfs file, I will download it at the library tomorrow. Is 5-6 hours to download now and <10 minutes at the library and free.

Is there a pet for the webcam for Lucid 528?

Lucid 525 had Guvcview 1.4.4 included in the release. This works for my webcam. In fact it is the only webcam software that I have found to work across all the puppies.

Just a link to get the pet for Guvcview would be fine. Thanks.

Midnight Commander:
Using Quickpet, I attempted to download mc=Midnight Commander. When I clicked the "Check for dependencies" button it crashed. I tried 3 times with the same result. I loaded Midnight Commander pet alone which has the missing dependency slang-2.2.2-i486.pet. Any idea where I can find that pet on the net along with libgio?

Thanks, This is a great release. I have been using Lucid 525 as my regular Linux up to now. I downloaded 528 at noon today. A few more tweaks of the user interface environment and it will be the same as my 525
environment.

-Bruce.

bigpup

#176 Post by bigpup »

Is there a pet for the webcam for Lucid 528?

Lucid 525 had Guvcview 1.4.4 included in the release. This works for my webcam. In fact it is the only webcam software that I have found to work across all the puppies.

Just a link to get the pet for Guvcview would be fine. Thanks.
In my copy of 5.2.8 Guvcview is listed in menu->multimedia->Guvcview Webcam Viewer
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#177 Post by playdayz »

Midnight Commander

It looks like this one works. aragon does great work!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 21&t=51592

bigpup

#178 Post by bigpup »

CatDude has done it again.
A very good visual guide on how to remaster.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71349
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#179 Post by playdayz »

Here is the first Test of Instant Update 001 for Lucid 5.2.8
(Also applicable to Three-Headed Dog)

Click the link to download the pet and then click to install - Reboot

X libgconf2-4_3.1.6 to enable Chromium-based browsers
X libgconf_DEV-3.1.6
X Help -> LupuNews puppylogo96 image without being connected
X update Firewallstate 2.0 tasmod
X update PupControl 1.7 radky includes very cool PupSysinfo
X update Pburn 3.3.5 zigbert
X change to Start with Playlist in gnome-mplayer for dvd’s otherwise gnome-mplayer shows black screen with audio until one changes size of screen - for dvd's, XineDVD is still better, but some people might expect the default media player to play dvd's with no fuss, not unreasonably ;-)
X add Getflash (modified) from Slacko to update (or install) Flashplayer
X add Cloud Puppy by szzindian, under Utility

From rerwin:
# 1. Update /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG.
# 2. Reduce occurrences of DNS not being set for ppp connections to some USB-modem ISPs. (/etc/ppp/wvdial)
# 3. Retain access to prename script if devx also loaded (with a different script of the same name) (usr/share/applications/prename.desktop).
# 4. Set "show_msg=NO" configuration option for both of dillo's dillorc files (adding the one in /etc/dillo).
# 5. Correct missing "fi" statement in bareview script.
# 6. Personal Settings updates:
# . . a. Complete the hostname-change process by cycling connections and prompting user to log out.
# . . b. Simplify numlock preset logic.
# . . c. Avoid "barks" during full country-settings display but retain them for first runs with no pupsave files or full installations.
# . . d. Integrate firstrun-1.8.4 into lupu version of personal settings script but exclude new "extralang" support (which could be provided by a dot-pet package).

Bruce_n_Duane

Thanks

#180 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Playdayz,

Guvcview:
I just did not see it in the multimedia menu and must have miss typed the name when I did a "which guvcview" on a console. My error!!!

Midnight Commander:
I uninstalled mc version 4.7.0 with slang 2.2.2 and installed mc 4.7.5 you listed above and it works great!!! The mc in the QuickPets has a dependency for "slang-2.2.2.pet" which is never resolved because the ".pet" file is not stored in /usr/lib, but only the contents of the Pet. This dependency problem does not exist with mc-4.7.5.

I just have one game (llk-linux) to port over from Lucid 525 which I installed from a separate site and move my firefox bookmarks and Lucid 528 can be my main Linux. I did this with a frugal install and now have 15 puppies + mint installed on my Toshiba laptop.

I store all my personal "home = /root" files (all documents, pictures, videos, etc) in a separate partition. This keeps the individual puppy save files to a minimum and allows me to use any puppy to access the files. I also use external USB hard drives for saving my personal files back to 1995. This keeps it off the laptop and off the internet. The only files local to a puppy are its configuration files and pets downloaded. I do keep a separate Pet folder for things like mc-4.7.5.pet and use the same copy of OpenOffice.sfs for all the puppies for file compatibility.

I backup my personal files to the external 1Tb USB hard drive then back it up to a second external 1Tb USB hard drive using a simple bash script containing "rsync" commands.

I am still happy with my 32-bit single core intel processor Toshiba Satellite A205-S5805 laptop. It is the bottom of the line laptop I got a Frys for $250. Until Duane installed Fatdog on his dual core 64-bit $1500 laptop, mine was faster!! He is now very happy with his slightly faster Fatdog Puppy. We discovered Chubby Puppy 1.06 back in 2006 and have been using Puppy Linux ever since.

Thank you, Barry, and all the other developers for the great Puppies.

-Bruce.