Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#141 Post by playdayz »

Here is the result of the Mplayer experiments. There was something wrong with all of them so far, except this one!

Mplayer 34026-002
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mp34026-002.pet

It contains the very latest versions of the ffmpeg libraries (that is, even more recent then 0.8.2) It is compiled for i686. It will determine your cpu at runtime and use the appropriate media enhancements (mmx, sse3, 3dnow, etc.). It plays all the videos I usually test, and they look good. it also plays audio and CD.

It will play dvd's somewhat well. However, I still recommend that if you want to play DVD's you use the included XineDVD. I find it frustrating that no one else seems to be able to make a DVD player that looks and operates like the DVD players people are used to. But if you want to use gnome-mplayer to play dvd's you should View -> Playlist in gnome-mplayer--otherwise the first screen is black (who knows).

FYI, The version of the ffmpeg libraries in Lucid 5.2.8 is 0.6.2, but I am not sure how much if any this new mplayer improves video quality. I would like to hear. The 0.6.2 we use is the special build by Medibuntu and I don't see any real problems with it--everything plays reasonably well. 0.8.2 is not so far in advance of what we have, because 0.7.3 has most of the improvements of the 0.8 series but with compatibility with the 0.6 series. And the 0.7 and 0.8 were released the same day.

Thanks to 01micko for his help with the configure options.

After some more testing, I will post it on LupuNews.

I should say that I test with gnome-mplayer rather than at the command line.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 29 Aug 2011, 03:47, edited 3 times in total.

playdayz

#142 Post by playdayz »

I've just seen a recurrence of the dreaded 'pinwheel of death' when opening version Chromium 15.0.860.0.(since including your fix by adding the libgconf file).
Nothing has been changed on my setup except for adding 'Mplayer with ffmpeg 0.8.2' and the latest 'Flashpalyer.pet'.
I am out of ideas Brown mouse. Several times it has happened to me, but each time it was because I had either removed or used a version that did not have the libgconf 3.1.6. Try reinstalling it??? I will investigate also.

majorfoo

#143 Post by majorfoo »

Playdayz,
I believe you recently compiled Audacious 3.0 pet for lucid packages

Billto mentioned on another thread that 3.1 is out and asked queston

"Have you tried audacious 3.0.1? It's not too large and has some nice plugins like extra stereo."

When you have time, can you compile 3.1 and add to lucid packages

tnanks

majorfoo

playdayz

#144 Post by playdayz »

majorfoo,

No one said anything but I found out that the version of Audacious 3.0 will not play .mpc (musepack) files. A small codec but I have some. Further investigation was that there was a problem between Audacious and the version of ffmpeg libraries we have (we have 0.6.2, but Audacious 3 want late 0.7.x or 0.8.) So for now I recommend the 2.5.4 version.

I would like to see version 3+ work also.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -2.5.4.pet

majorfoo

#145 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:majorfoo,

No one said anything but I found out that the version of Audacious 3.0 will not play .mpc (musepack) files. A small codec but I have some. Further investigation was that there was a problem between Audacious and the version of ffmpeg libraries we have (we have 0.6.2, but Audacious 3 want late 0.7.x or 0.8.) So for now I recommend the 2.5.4 version.

I would like to see version 3+ work also.

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... -2.5.4.pet
I am using Audacious 3.0 pet in Lucid 525, 528 and 529 with no problems. I am only playing commercial cd's, wav files and mp3 files and they all play great.

Lookikng forward to version 3+ when all the kinks are worked out.

Thanks for quick response and thanks again for all your dedication and hard work

majorfoo

ETP

Chromium 15 "pinwheel of death"-PoD

#146 Post by ETP »

playdayz/Brown Mouse
Quote:
I've just seen a recurrence of the dreaded 'pinwheel of death' when opening version Chromium 15.0.860.0.(since including your fix by adding the libgconf file).
Nothing has been changed on my setup except for adding 'Mplayer with ffmpeg 0.8.2' and the latest 'Flashpalyer.pet'.

I am out of ideas Brown mouse. Several times it has happened to me, but each time it was because I had either removed or used a version that did not have the libgconf 3.1.6. Try reinstalling it??? I will investigate also.
I am currently running the same pets as listed by Brown Mouse but have not so far experienced the PoD.
Having said that, I did so with Chromium 12, 13 & 14 and on each occasion regressed to Chromium 10. I did find however that simply uninstalling the pet was insufficient and that if I did not manually clear out the Chromium detritus 10 also suffered the PoD. I suggest therefore that you try the following:

Export your favourites to a location of your choice.
Uninstall Chromium 15.
Reboot.
Manually delete the following directories & their contents:
/root/.config/chromium
/usr/lib/chrome-linux
Reboot.
Install Chromium 15.
Re-import your favourites.

Unrelated to the PoD issue, a smidgen of extra speed (as used in Iron) can be obtained with the following settings.
Attachments
image-7.png
(18.31 KiB) Downloaded 1154 times

Brown Mouse

#147 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:Here is the result of the Mplayer experiments. There was something wrong with all of them so far, except this one!

Mplayer 34026-002
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mp34026-002.pet

It contains the very latest versions of the ffmpeg libraries (that is, even more recent then 0.8.2) It is compiled for i686. It will determine your cpu at runtime and use the appropriate media enhancements (mmx, sse3, 3dnow, etc.). It plays all the videos I usually test, and they look good. it also plays audio and CD.

It will play dvd's somewhat well. However, I still recommend that if you want to play DVD's you use the included XineDVD. I find it frustrating that no one else seems to be able to make a DVD player that looks and operates like the DVD players people are used to. But if you want to use gnome-mplayer to play dvd's you should View -> Playlist in gnome-mplayer--otherwise the first screen is black (who knows).

FYI, The version of the ffmpeg libraries in Lucid 5.2.8 is 0.6.2, but I am not sure how much if any this new mplayer improves video quality. I would like to hear. The 0.6.2 we use is the special build by Medibuntu and I don't see any real problems with it--everything plays reasonably well. 0.8.2 is not so far in advance of what we have, because 0.7.3 has most of the improvements of the 0.8 series but with compatibility with the 0.6 series. And the 0.7 and 0.8 were released the same day.

Thanks to 01micko for his help with the configure options.

After some more testing, I will post it on LupuNews.
Hi Playdayz
I'm not having much luck today.I installed the Mplayer 34026-002.pet and get a fatal error of 'skin default not found'.
Tried a reboot to no avail.

ETP

Thanks.I'll give your Chromium instructions a try.

rerwin

#148 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
Here is my first version of fixes for the instant update package. It has all of the fixes we have talked about except for shinobar's firstrun-1.8.4. But I intend to include it in a "-2" package after I complete merging of the latest changes in version "-1".

I provide this preview so those concerned about the hostname-change logic can evaluate what I have done. The package requests a restart of X when the name is changed. Xwin is augmented to instruct the user to enter "logout" and "xwin" to return to the desktop -- but only if "personal settings" tells it to.

I added one more thing not mentioned by others. The logout does not result in the new name being sent to the network (e.g., a router). So "Personal settings" also cycles the active network connections (ifconfig .. down, then up), to complete the hostname change.

During testing I encountered two log messages that appear to be beyond my control. Running from the command line, whenever I click on a down-arrow to select from a list, the following appears:
  • (gtkdialog3:31162): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.0/gobject/gsignal.c:3079: signal name `depressed' is invalid for instance `0x8532de0'
The other message cannot be reproduced at will. It just appears occasionally. From memory, it is approximately:
  • sh: line 0 ... broken pipe
No hint as to where it comes from. I have seen no operational consequence of the message.

When I upload the "shinobar" version, I would like him to verify that it works as he expects and that I have not left out anything of importance. Please wait for that version before including my fixes in the instant update. Thanks.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528_patch-1.pet
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

jpeps

#149 Post by jpeps »

rerwin wrote: The other message cannot be reproduced at will. It just appears occasionally. From memory, it is approximately:
  • sh: line 0 ... broken pipe
No hint as to where it comes from. I have seen no operational consequence of the message.
I see that also with petget; seems harmless

Code: Select all

sed: -e expression #2, char 0: no previous regular expression
EXIT="OK"
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
Generating /root/.fbpanel/default...
cut: write error: Broken pipe
Generating /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml...

playdayz

#150 Post by playdayz »

I'm not having much luck today.I installed the Mplayer 34026-002.pet and get a fatal error of 'skin default not found'.
Oh, Maybe I left a desktop file for the gui in the pet. I will check. You never need to start mplayer-gnome-mplayer does all the work for you. You can type mplayer at a console to see the svn number from the version you are using--should be 34026.

playdayz

#151 Post by playdayz »

***Experimental***

Audacious 3.0.2. It was compiled in Lucid 5.2.8. The pet includes libgtk-3.0.8 which is required (as Audacious now uses either gtk3 or a version later than we have of gtk2). The pet also includes the most recent official release of the ffmpeg multimedia libraries 0.8.2.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Audac ... cid528.pet
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 01 Sep 2011, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

majorfoo

#152 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:***Experimental***

Audacious 3.0.2. It was compiled in Lucid 5.2.8. The pet includes libgtk-3.0.8 which is required (as Audacious now uses either gtk3 or a version later than we have of gtk2). The pet also includes the most recent official release of the ffmpeg multimedia libraries 0.8.2.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Audac ... 2-lucid528
Playdayz - d/l and tried in lucid 5.28

couple of things on this one
1. Had to add .pet to end of your file before would install as pet

2. When I try to play .mp3 file, receive error message
No decoder found for file xxxxx.mp3

additional information when I run from command line

/root
# audacious

** (audacious:23860): WARNING **: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/audacious.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'audacious.png'(should not include extension)
/root
#

nap time for me - will be back in few hours

majorfoo

majorfoo

#153 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz -
i got the new version of audacious to work by making following changes

1. /usr/share/applications/audacious.desktop line 32 changed audacious.png to audacious - removed .png extension

2. copied /usr/lib/libmpg123.so.0.25.1 and symlink libmpg123.so.0 from
lucid 529 -
Edit 8-30-11 - I just determined that these libs are not in original iso for lucid 529. I had audacious 3.0 loaded on full install of 529 and these libs are in 3.0 but not in 3.2

it now works. great sound

Perhaps this is not way to do things, but it worked for me
Last edited by majorfoo on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Brown Mouse

#154 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:
Oh, Maybe I left a desktop file for the gui in the pet. I will check. You never need to start mplayer-gnome-mplayer does all the work for you. You can type mplayer at a console to see the svn number from the version you are using--should be 34026.
Sorry Playdayz!

I had been seeing this error whilst trying to launch Mplayer from the Multimedia menu entry.My mistake I believe!
You are correct about the version I see from within in a console which is 34026.

openwell2

firewall problem in Puppy 528

#155 Post by openwell2 »

Hi,
I have a full install Puppy 528 and firewall does not seem to work correctly.
Right click on the icon.
You get the dialog box to turn it off.
Confirm Ok to turn it off, and firewall is still ON?
Anyone else have any ideas?

I looked at the rc.firewall text file and it seems to have different line numbers than Puppy 525?
Not sure what is different.
I usually only use the Line # 45 PERMIT " "
It is now line number 60 or 70 something?
This allows me to have firewall on and open specific ports for Transmission to use.
many thanks,

radky

#156 Post by radky »

UPDATE: PupControl-1.7 includes Pup-SysInfo, a new and comprehensive system information module.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61961
Attachments
Pup-SysInfo.png
(22.76 KiB) Downloaded 2125 times

tasmod

#157 Post by tasmod »

openwell2,

You're correct there has been a change in rc.firewall, so the script won't work.

I have only cursorily looked so will report back later when I've studied it.

EDIT:

DOH ! Must remember which puppy version I'm in when i do a check ! :oops:

OK it's a gtk change that's caused the problem but I've fixed it.

Fix posted in Additional Software, under Network
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

openwell2

firewallstate 2.0 fixed the firewall on/off in Puppy 528

#158 Post by openwell2 »

@tasmod,

Many thanks,

Fixed Puppy 528 firewall

firewallstate 2.0 installed

and on/off switching works great!

Find it here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57725

rerwin

Updates for lupu 5.2.8 instant update package

#159 Post by rerwin »

playdayz,
As promised, here is my complete set of changes (as of now) that can go into the instant update package for lupu 5.2.8. The attached package is similar to the "-1" version but has additional minor touch-ups and most of shinobar's firstrun-1.8.4 package. I have omitted his new capability, "extralangs", because I cannot assess the "sfs" part of it; the function can be added by dot-pet package, if desired. Here is a summary of the changes:
  • # 1. Update /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG.
    # 2. Reduce occurrences of DNS not being set for ppp connections to some USB-modem ISPs. (/etc/ppp/wvdial)
    # 3. Retain access to prename script if devx also loaded (with a different script of the same name) (usr/share/applications/prename.desktop).
    # 4. Set "show_msg=NO" configuration option for both of dillo's dillorc files (adding the one in /etc/dillo).
    # 5. Correct missing "fi" statement in bareview script.
    # 6. Personal Settings updates:
    # . . a. Complete the hostname-change process by cycling connections and prompting user to log out.
    # . . b. Simplify numlock preset logic.
    # . . c. Avoid "barks" during full country-settings display but retain them for first runs with no pupsave files or full installations.
    # . . d. Integrate firstrun-1.8.4 into lupu version of personal settings script but exclude new "extralang" support (which could be provided by a dot-pet package).
shinobar,
I also attach the difference listing comparing 1.8.4 to the merged lupu version of countrywizard.qs, to help you evaluate my result. I omitted extralangs by simply not including the extralangs script, so countrywizard.qs just skips it. Please verify that the script still does what you intend, other than the extralangs part.

Both,
The lupu version adds a line of text to the "FULLMSG" string. Playdayz, is the text still important to keep? If so, shinobar, then a translation of it is needed for language support. To keep things simple, I treat the added text as a separate string, so FULLMSG has two gettext components. The text to be translated is:
  • 'To change UTF-8 status, choose your language from the drop-down menu and click OK. If you are booting a USB disk and want to use a USB Wifi device, you should Shut Down and create a save file *before* you set up networking.'
For now, though, that part of the combined message text will be in English.

UPDATE: In the updated (-3) package there are more text strings for translation:
  • "When requested to do so in text mode, please enter 'logout' and then 'xwin'"
    "to run the Video Wizard and return to the desktop."
    "to return to the desktop."
Thank you, both, for helping me wrap this up.
Richard
Attachments
lupu528_rerwin_patch-3.pet
Contributions to instant update, also for user testing.
Adds translatable dialog messages about restart for hostname change and Xorgwizard request.
(55.75 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
diff-countrywizard.qs_vs_1.8.4.txt.gz
New difference listing versus firstrun-1.8.4
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 01 Sep 2011, 18:35, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#160 Post by playdayz »

Battleshooter discovered that the headers for the ffmpeg multimedia libraries (needed to compile some apps) were missing in lupu_devx_528. Here they are in lupu_devx_528-2.sfs.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... _528-2.sfs
fa969da4a46c64040317f33a4c16ef94

Kernel sources for 2.6.33.2 kernel (also needed to compile some apps) ->
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... atched.sfs
78a989b17552d10bd2d7ba2f2c3c1217

Both of these thing are now listed in the first message of this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks rerwin. I will get moving in a few days--soon as I catch up with my other job.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

majorfoo, Thanks for doing all the debugging for me ;-) I will repair the pet ASAP. I was actually amazed that it worked at all--it has gtk3 plus ffmpeg 0.8.2. Yes, the libmpg123 needed to be there. I am not sure why you had to delete the png extension--was that only to eliminate the "error" message in the console. Without the .png extension some apps do not display the icon in the jwm menu--so the choice is either the message (harmless) or the icon (which people complain about if it is not there!).

EDIT-> Weird. My install played an mp3 without libmpg123 being present. What it did was to use ffmpeg/ffaudio to play it (I am pretty sure). Perhaps you could take a look at File -> Preferences -> Plugin -> Input and compare what you see to my picture. I want to make sure that you are getting the ffmpeg support (last line on mine).

The link at the top of this page now has the repaired Audacious 3.0.2 pet. It is still experimental, until we see if it breaks anything!

I should say that for non-fanatics (me and majorfoo being fanatics) Audacious 2.5.4 is fully functional (like Data).
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -2.5.4.pet

Attachments
aaudacious302-528.png
(127.51 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 30 Aug 2011, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.