Howto: Get latest Citrix ICA Client working for Puppy 5.2.0

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
niteendlewis

Howto: Get latest Citrix ICA Client working for Puppy 5.2.0

#1 Post by niteendlewis »

Howto: Get Citrix ICA Client (11.1) working for Puppy 5.2.0

Here are the steps I followed to get the latest Citrix ICA Client - Citrix Receiver Version 11.100 installed and working so that I can connect to my corp network.

Step 0 (including this for completeness sake) - I installed Firefox 4 as I prefer that as my browser and I found the pet here for easy install - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=66139

However it did not create the shortcut under Internet, I went on to create a shortcut on my desktop and edited the file ‘defaultbrowser’ under /usr/local/bin with this entry exec firefox "$@"

Step 1 - Downloaded the Citrix Receiver tar file from this location - https://www.citrix.com/English/ss/downl ... ientcenter

The client has a requirement for OpenMotif 2.3.1 which can be downloaded from here http://www.motifzone.net/filebrowser/openmotif/2.3

I initially installed the latest OpenMotif version 2.3.3 and then realized that the requirement is 2.3.1 so just to be sure I installed 2.3.1 as well (didn’t seem to break anything so guessing it is okay)

Step 2 - Launch urvxt and go to the location where you saved both the above files, then run the following commands

tar -zxvf linuxx86-11.100.158406.tar.gz
tar -zxvf openmotif-2.3.1-1.tar.gz

Step 3 - Now need to install the client for which you need to run the following command

./setupwfc

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the install

Step 4 - Now I am not sure if this step applies to all but I got an error when I tried launching my app from my corporate site,

Error: "You have chosen not to trust the "Thawte Premium Server CA" the issuer of the server security certificate

Solution from Citrix forum - http://forums.citrix.com/message.jspa?messageID=447656

This affects some Linux users only.
If you have tried to connect to the Windows Citrix environment from a Linux machine, and get the following error message: "You have chosen not to trust the 'Thawte Premium Server CA' the issuer of the server security certificate".

Reason:
The Thawte Server CA certificate was renewed and upgraded to Premium by the CA vendor for the Citrix MetaFrame servers.

To resolve this do the following: Download ThawteRoot.crt from http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/computing ... client.htm and place it under /usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts. This will resolve this issue.

That’s it, I was able to successfully use Citrix and must say that now can use my 7yr desktop to do new tricks... PUPPY LINUX ROCKS !!!

I must say that the latest 5.2 Puppy version is the best I have used (have been trying the earlier releases over the past 2 yrs) and it has become the primary OS for my desktop now that all that I need works straight out..
Keep up the good work Barry !!!

theorbo

Thanks!

#2 Post by theorbo »

The first time I did this it took the greater part of a weekend to figure all of this mess out. When I recreated my puppy linux install this post was so helpful, thanks.

One point ... instead of the SSL cert that gave you problems, I had issues with the Verisign Class 3 International Server CA - G3 cert. I was able to get it here:

http://www.tbs-certificats.com/FAQ/en/600.html

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Guys none of you have told us what it is about? Client for doing what?
What does it accomplish? A short explanation. Yes I have google.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Yes, it would be nice to not have to Google just to find out what Citrix ICA is. :)

raffy

Citrix ICA

#5 Post by raffy »

Introduction: You consider Citrix ICA or other such protocols if you want to use Puppy to use (connect to) non-PuppyOS computers. The bonus is that Puppy itself is an OS and distro with applications, so the user will have two OSes when using Citrix ICA. Citrix ICA is proprietary and requires a license, and server software must be installed/run from the server. It is the "client" software that you need for Puppy.

Citrix ICA from Webopedia:
Short for Independent Computing Architecture, ICA is a protocol designed specifically for transmitting Windows graphical display data as well as keyboard and mouse input over a network.
It is a way to enable a tiny computer to run like a powerful PC via connection to a really powerful PC (the server). The old name is "dumb terminal" (the terminal works only to send/receive signals from a server).

This signaling method between the two machines is called "protocol". Linux has different RDP (remote desktop protocol) that can connect to a Win machine (Windows will then appear to be running inside Puppy). Citrix is just one company with proprietary protocols, and there are other companies with own protocols.

In home/small-enterprise computing, Puppy does not need that protocol because Puppy can make the tiny computer a really powerful computer. If the tiny machine is an x86 (not ARM) preferably with at least a 300 Mhz Pentium-equivalent processor, and if it has at least 128 MB RAM, it will be a really fast PC with Puppy.

If companies are throwing away Pentium4 PCs, a lot have also thrown away thin clients (the tiny computer described above) because its specifications made it run too slow with XPe (embedded XP).

Additional: Puppy Devs shy away from providing a Citrix ICA pet because it is proprietary. At one time PCPuppyOS included it but I don't know if it is still there.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Thanks Raffy. Sounds like a handy thing to make use of. I had no idea and drown in all the links that google provided. You made a good description.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

PuppyWiking

#7 Post by PuppyWiking »

Hi all!

Tried the instructions in this topic to install a Citrix Client on Puppy Linux and it worked perfectly!

Thanks a lot!

J

Zaven

Citrix ICA

#8 Post by Zaven »

Thank you, this has been an very useful addition to my puppy.

Zaven

PUPPY 5.28 AND 5.29

#9 Post by Zaven »

Oh yes, and it works with these new versions of puppy.
Here is the link for the root packages:
https://www.thawte.com/roots/
It is in the premium server folder (.cer) and goes in:
/usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts

niteendlewis

glad it helped..

#10 Post by niteendlewis »

Zaven& PuppyWiking am glad that my post helped you guys... thanks Raffy for chipping in to explain what the ICA client is about..

strategic_thinker

citrix

#11 Post by strategic_thinker »

What's the path to set the run action for Citrix if I want to clock on the ica file which gets downloaded ?

Zaven

citrix

#12 Post by Zaven »

1.Install Firefox 11 (should work with earlier version)

2. Download linuxx86-12.0.0.189834.tar.gz to root

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf linuxx86-12.0.0.189834.tar.gz

no need for OpenMotif

run

./setupwfc

Answer questions then quit and exit

get: Thawte Root Package

copy Thawte Premium Server to:

/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts

That's all, should launch from Firefox directly

[/img]
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(25.73 KiB) Downloaded 5939 times

superbob

Cannot connect to Citrix server

#13 Post by superbob »

Hi

I followed the steps in the how-to above.
I get this error. Any help is appreciated.

OK

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Steven CBE

Struggle with other certificate Geotrust Global CA

#14 Post by Steven CBE »

First I am trying to revive or reuse older computers in my network.
I heard of Puppy but this is my first time linux-usage So...

I was able to follow all the steps, just untill the last one. Step4 did not work for me

I get the following error See attached file.

Question is: What do I need to do?
Attachments
capture17528.png
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 3211 times