Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
einar

#121 Post by einar »

kevin bowers wrote:einar,
Did you try disabling the onboard video card in the BIOS setup? Or perhaps it may give options for "first video device" or some such similar? If this is necessary I would think you'd have the same problem in Windows, do you know if you do? Good luck!
tought of that , but the bios on this laptop or any i have witness is very limited. no choise to disable the intel card.

The problem is that the Intel® Core™ i3 Processor has a gpu integrated. and i think many more will have the same issue as me when these new processors becomes regular. I just hope there is a newbie friendly way to disable it

best regards

Einar

darkcity

#122 Post by darkcity »

Hi Playdayz,

Your version of G Chome-13 with glibconf works for me.

The one I tried before was Chromium 10.0.630.0, which is in the PPM and Quickpet tools.

Have added to wiki.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Chrome

8) Much thanks 8)

nooby

#123 Post by nooby »

einar wrote:Hi

i was trying to impress people with 528 and im having trouble installing nvidia drivers on a Intel i3 laptop. On first boot xorgwizard shows Intel as the driver and the resolution 1360*768 works flawless. But this laptop has a better nvidia gpu on it. The onboard intel gpu is not dissabled when i install nvidia drivers. Resulting in failing to load x after i have installed the drivers.

Is there way to solve this ?

best regards

Einar
So if I get it it has two graphic cards, one that is built into the CPU chip? and one card you added in that is good for games and higher quality things?

But it does work with the built in though only that you then have no use of the better card?

How does Ubuntu and Arch and such high profile distros deal with that situation. Can one learn from then to turn that internal one off?

Could you join the Intel forum something and them there have experts knowing what to do?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

einar

#124 Post by einar »

nooby wrote:

i was trying to impress people with 528 and im having trouble installing nvidia drivers on a Intel i3 laptop. On first boot xorgwizard shows Intel as the driver and the resolution 1360*768 works flawless. But this laptop has a better nvidia gpu on it. The onboard intel gpu is not dissabled when i install nvidia drivers. Resulting in failing to load x after i have installed the drivers.

best regards

Einar
So if I get it it has two graphic cards, one that is built into the CPU chip? and one card you added in that is good for games and higher quality things?

But it does work with the built in though only that you then have no use of the better card?

How does Ubuntu and Arch and such high profile distros deal with that situation. Can one learn from then to turn that internal one off?

Could you join the Intel forum something and them there have experts knowing what to do?
Hei Nooby

You are correct, only that the nivida card is not added by me. This is a samsung laptop and the nvidia is default in windows 7. i have not tried ubuntu, but will try opensuse or somthing else than puppy if it cannot be solved.

Best regards

Einar

playdayz

#125 Post by playdayz »

Your version of G Chome-13 with glibconf works for me.

The one I tried before was Chromium 10.0.630.0, which is in the PPM and Quickpet tools.
darkcity, I thought that Chromium 10 from PPM would work. Not?

bigpup

#126 Post by bigpup »

Futwerk has made some more wallpapers for Lucid Puppy 5.2.8
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#556398
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#127 Post by bigpup »

einar wrote:
bigpup wrote:

best regards

Einar
Run Quickpet
Go to drivers tab
Run "click here to test your graphics card"
What does it say about your graphics card?

it says that i had a nvidia 6800 series, but the card is the newer GT310. but i think it will not load the driver because the intel is selected first somehow. any suggestions ?
What driver does this test recommend?

Yes you have one of the second generation Intel i3 processors with integrated GPU in the processor.
Not sure if Liunx has adjusted for these.
It was my understanding that the motherboard would auto switch to add on GPU and disable the integrated GPU.
I would go to the computer manufactures website and see what info they have about this setup.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#128 Post by playdayz »

Last edited by playdayz on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 18:54, edited 4 times in total.

Enrique Corbellini

flash player for this puppy

#129 Post by Enrique Corbellini »

i still cannot use flashplayer with puppy 5.2.8
probed get pet, and didn't find it
after that i went to forum advices and still nothing
is there any solution? thanks

playdayz

#130 Post by playdayz »

This is the latest Flashplayer pet.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -lucid.pet

LateAdopter

#131 Post by LateAdopter »

Playdayz

Thanks for providing the updated Mplayer. I have tried it with my H.264 TV recordings.

It works with Gnome/Mplayer and UMplayer. No crashes so far.

It supports multi threading whereas the old one was only one thread. But there seems to be a huge overhead when more than one thread is used.
If I set h.264 decoding to one thread it behaves exactly the same as the old mplayer.
If I set it to 2 threads then 3 processes are running and the extra one takes 60% x 1 core. As I add more threads the extra thread continues to take about the same amount.

The decoding efficiency is not very good. So I still can't play 1920x1080x25i and deinterlacing without mplayer dropping frames.

(the winner by a mile is still the ffdshow directshow decoder in Windows. That can do 1920x1080x25i and YADIF double framerate deinterlace without dropping frames, on my Athlon II x2 240)

Would compiling mplayer for an up to date processor rather than i386 be likely to improve things? Or is the overhead a kernel dependent effect?

TIP: For anyone who plays TS or M2TS files. The default demux MPEG-TS in mplayer does not decode the time codes correctly so the slider doesn't work.
In UMplayer you can change the demux setting to libavformat and then the slider will work.
- tools, view info& properties, demuxer, then libavformat is near the bottom of the list.

kevin bowers

mplayer-0.8.2-static

#132 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote:***Experimental***

Mplayer with ffmpeg 0.8.2

This kind of just happened, but it seems interesting. To my eye the video quality is better. It is only a 4.9 MB pet. It is static with the ffmpeg multimedia libraries Incorporated into mplayer. The original libraries are still there for Pmusic, ffconvert, etc.

If you install the pet then gnome-mplayer will automatically use it .

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mplay ... static.pet

Does anyone notice any differences or improvements? Mainly this will/could affect quality of video in gnome-mplayer.

(The previous experiment of ffmpeg 0.7.1 was not very successful.
Playdayz,
I have an inexpensive high-def camcorder that shoots 60fps @ 720p. I was having issues opening its .mov files in gnome-mplayer, jerky playback etc. I just installed mplayer-0.8.2-static.pet, rebooted--and it works fine, smooth playback of both video and audio. Thanks!

playdayz

#133 Post by playdayz »

Would compiling mplayer for an up to date processor rather than i386 be likely to improve things? Or is the overhead a kernel dependent effect?
LateAdopter, IMHO, that would likely help--to compile for the "correct" processor. This is an ongoing experiment, but it is pretty difficult and complicated so far ;-) This first result (mplayer with ffmpgeg 0.8.2--static) was mainly built using the defaults--because there are an enormous number of options ;-) Fortunately many of the options are "autodetect." However as the compilation flashed by on the screen I noticed mcpu=native and march=native. Anyway, I am wondering if that built for my phenom 9850--the way I understand those options (and use them in compiling Firefox) that is what it would do. If you had a different cpu that could be the cause of problems. I am going to investigate further, but not in a hurry. Ultimately it might even be possible to create a script to compile for one's own cpu.

Colonel Panic

#134 Post by Colonel Panic »

I think this is my next Puppy, I'll give it a go soon.

Best wishes and thanks for all your hard work,

CP .

P.S. Just one thing - how do you access the Ubuntu repositories with it?
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

playdayz

#135 Post by playdayz »

P.S. Just one thing - how do you access the Ubuntu repositories with it?
Open Puppy Package Manager, then hit the Configure Package Manger button and tick the repos you want.

charbaby66

I have such a beautiful well behaved puppy

#136 Post by charbaby66 »

just want to say you outdid yourself, and it is so appreciated!!

528 is my fav official, i do like a few of the other puplets but
this is a keeper!! it is a work of art. Looking forward to Slacko,
but since 5.1 I have fallen in love with lupu, and likely will use
as my primary forever with the LTS :)

Only issue I had was that she runs hot even with scaling (tried both
default and M based) [IBM T41 1G Radeon 7500 60GB laptop] especially running wireless, still feverish when using wired, Adding nosmp helps
but all other lucid pups tried (lots!!!) ran much cooler.29-33 (rare to hit
60+ even with video and heavy loads) now mid 70s if streaming, 52-60
if not. Using latest Flash pet and Iron 13 (yes installed libs 1st) is a bit better than FF.

With the pretty boot splash screen and multiboot I added via
the excellent windows installer pet here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404 (I used the XP exe)
I have everything I ever wanted in a puppy, and I used to be a
cat person LOL

LOL I am going to try to see if it will run on my Toshiba Satellite 490CDT 64mb Ram 4G hd

I can usually get Puppy to run on it (last tried 5.11) but all versions back I
have tried blank to a white screen at shutdown due to the video chip -
an S3 Virge 2M POS with no bugfix...I just hit enter blindly to reboot, and enjoy playing with this "seeing eye puppy" just because I can! Someday I hope to find a stick of ram for her, will also try tuxxx's 2.14 updated

Love seeing :dead computers still up and woof-woof! But I digress...

Thanks again for giving us this amazing puppy playdayz !! :)

Brown Mouse

#137 Post by Brown Mouse »

Playdayz

I've just seen a recurrence of the dreaded 'pinwheel of death' when opening version Chromium 15.0.860.0.(since including your fix by adding the libgconf file).
Nothing has been changed on my setup except for adding 'Mplayer with ffmpeg 0.8.2' and the latest 'Flashpalyer.pet'.

makaj

Lupusave file

#138 Post by makaj »

How I can increase my file "lupusave" HELP plss

Jim1911

#139 Post by Jim1911 »

@makaj

Open Control, select Drive, Resize Puppy File or select Menu, Utility, Resize personal storage file.

roadkill13

#140 Post by roadkill13 »

How I can increase my file "lupusave" HELP plss
In the menu category "Utility" you will find an item "Resize Personal Storage File". Please select this entry and a dialogue will appear prompting you to select a size by which the personal save file will be increased.

Note: You must reboot to complete this process.

For some reason I did not see the post immediately above this one. Oh well...