I've KILLED Alsa!

Using applications, configuring, problems
xdarkknight

I've KILLED Alsa!

#1 Post by xdarkknight »

Last night. using everything fine. Sound worked and everything. this morning, no sound. what gives?
I run Alsaconf and it runs and even says it's all configured, but there's a few lines that I (in my uneducated to puppy state) am unable to fix/interpret.

Code: Select all

ALSA lib conf.c:1016:(parse_value) card is not a string
ALSA lib conf.c:1685:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:2:20:invalid arguement
ALSA lib conf.c:3467:(snd_config_hook_load) /etc/asound.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326:(snd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid arguement
ALSA lib conf.c:3713:(snd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration cannot open mixer: Invalid arguement
Last night, I reloaded Skype. (because lucid decided, in it's infinite wisdom, to remove all but the sound, lang and avatar files) and I think that may have had a hand in it all.

How do I reload up Alsa so that it works? or is there a way to make the sound work BETTER?

Thanks
xdk

dio444

#2 Post by dio444 »

I don't think it's Skype, since I have the same problem without ever running Skype.

I'm currently leaning towards the idea that it has something to do with loading sfs files. Is your skype the sfs version or the pet version?

Tom

xdarkknight

I've KILLED Alsa!

#3 Post by xdarkknight »

It's the SFS version.
I know that Lucid comes with Skype (supposedly). however IMMEDIATELY after loading up Lucid, I attempted to start Skype. (I'm In the UK, family's in USA). something (I suspect skype) flashed up on screen and then nothing.
so I reloaded it.
I watched a few videos online last night (an hour and a half) perfectly (flash streaming) so it threw me when this morning I had no sound and Alsa was giving me lip about possibly corrupted files.
ugh.

nufan

#4 Post by nufan »

Out of curiosity, what version of puppy are you using? I've constantly been having the same problem on 5.2.9.

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Welcome to the forum nufan. Say, what type of install have you got going there? I'm on 5.28 running out of an ext3 save file left dumped on my other systems ext3 partition. Having had your problem and numerous install setups later, I've found Pup saves everything quite nicely with my save session interval set to ZERO. Needless to say, sound's been perfect since.

nufan

#6 Post by nufan »

My setup is:
Luci 5.2.9 - USB flash drive Install
ext2 savefile (heard it's easier on USB flash drives)

Running on:
Pentium-m 1.5 (old as hell, but still gets the job done)
1.5 GB RAM

Let me know if more info needed, I might just set the save interval to 0 as well.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

As a test I reinstalled (yet again), choosing the pfix=ram and "save to usb" options (the middle one). Installed a browser and grabbed the latest Flash. All this after setting that save interval to ZERO. Went and watched a few flash videos with several reboots between. Then, in an attempt to address the concerns of another fella here, I took Pup through a few cold drops while watching these flash vids and can confirm.. Pup'll go through it's usual fsck upon reboot, except this time, Alsa continues to work. You might try the same while rerwin investigates.

If you're worried about the interval, create a test file and reboot. You'll see..

PS - On the downside, should you encounter an unscheduled crash, any changes made during that session go byebye.

mahaju

#8 Post by mahaju »

try running alsa-wizard
if it doesn't work I think the command might be alsawizard
try both of them and let's first see what happens
hope this helped