How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

Updated.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPuppy

#42 Post by DutchPuppy »

Ok , maybe the solution is very near soon... Thanks so far !

rcrsn51

#43 Post by rcrsn51 »

Updated.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

DutchPuppy

#44 Post by DutchPuppy »

rcrsn51 I really owe you an apology.
I tell you why.
This afternoon after the try and nothing came out I switched off the pc and printer. You guess it. Just now I on them and 3 papers came out of the printer *duh* :oops:

erm.. a restart did the job.

And I could print without problem just now. To make sure i was awake and in reality i off and on the pc again.

YEP it works !!

Thanks a lot and I hope this thread will help other people with Canon printer problems !!

Thanks again rcrsn51 *cheers* !

rcrsn51

#45 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent! It may be that trying to send jobs to the printer as a USB device (instead of as a CAPT device) hung it up. So it needed a restart to clear.

While working on this, I discovered another thread where users got their CAPT printers working. But they were using Version 1.x of the driver. This Version 2.x works differently, so yours may be the first success with it.

Here is what I would like to do: I will re-write the correct version of the instructions here. Could you do a fresh install of Puppy or boot using "puppy pfix=ram" and confirm that they work?

Thanks.

DutchPuppy

#46 Post by DutchPuppy »

I made a fresh 5.2.5 (slick)pup usb flashdrive so started from scratch.

Installed the 2 deb files from Canon ( cndrvcups-capt_2.20-1_i386.deb and
cndrvcups-capt_2.20-1_i386.deb )

Then followed the rewritten instructions, see copy paste from terminal :

sh-4.1# mkdir -p /etc/cngplp/account
sh-4.1# chmod 777 /etc/cngplp/account
sh-4.1# mkdir /var/captmon
sh-4.1# chmod 777 /var/captmon
sh-4.1# /etc/init.d/cups restart
cups: restarted scheduler.

Then installed the printer in CUPS like you write and gave it the name and ccp number. Then in terminal:

sh-4.1# ccpdadmin -p LBP6000 -o /dev/usb/lp0

CUPS_ConfigPath = /etc/cups/
LOG Path = None
UI Port = 59787

Entry Num : Spooler : Backend : FIFO path : Device Path : Status
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0] : LBP6000 : ccp : //localhost:59687 : /dev/usb/lp0 : New!!

sh-4.1#
sh-4.1# /etc/init.d/ccpd start
Starting /usr/sbin/ccpd: .
sh-4.1#

Without a reboot this time it works like a charm for me.
Did a couple of test prints, all ok.

I still can't believe I don't need XP anymore to print ! :D

Thanks!

ilanrab

HP Photosmart Prem C410a

#47 Post by ilanrab »

All-In-One HP Photosmart Prem C410a.
I am using Two Headed Dog.
I installed hplip_scan-3.11.7.pet

When using xsane or peasyscan I get "no devices available". Isn't there an option for a "network" device? The provided options are USB, Parallel, or SCSI.
Of course none work. It's a WiFi based All-In-One networked device.

The printer portion works fine with hplip_print-3.11.7, after adding the printer through the CUPS interface. I used "socket://192.x.y.z" in the setup. Is there a similar "add scanner" option available somewhere in the system?

Both of the network printer and network scanner worked fine "out of the box" under Ubuntu 11.04.

Any suggestions?
[b]ir[/b]

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read the instructions here for using Peasyscan 1.6 with a networked HP scanner.

ilanrab

#49 Post by ilanrab »

rcrsn51 wrote:Read the instructions here for using Peasyscan 1.6 with a networked HP scanner.
Thank you. The instructions helped. I have a config file set up.
When I run peasyscan, from the command line, then press START in the dialog box, I get:
/usr/local/peasyscan/scan: line 4: 8040 Segmentation fault $PEASYPATH/xscanimage-peasy $URI 2> /dev/null

Any idea why?
[b]ir[/b]

rcrsn51

#50 Post by rcrsn51 »

As a test, connect the printer as a USB device and confirm that you have the right scanner driver. Don't use the config file to start it. Also try from Xsane.

The only other reports of segmentation faults were the result of driver problems.

davids45

#51 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,
Thanks for this very useful thread.

I have a fujixerox colour laser Docuprint C1110 which works well (or used to) under Linux.

But not with the latest Cups in the latest Pups (slacko, exprimo (dpup), lupus) where I get a variety of failures which seem due to Cups bugs - Google knows of the ones I've asked about.

I have used your advice and gone back to patriot's cups-1.3.11 which has been excellent (well, it works with my fujixerox).

One small point - I lose the quite good default cups-pdf printer when I get rid of the fujixerox-buggy cups-1.4.xxx after over-writing with the very friendly cups-1.3.11.

Puppy's default cups-pdf printer seems much better/smaller than the "export to pdf" options in most programs (like LibreOffice).

How can I re-install the cups-pdf printer after the 1.3.11 recovery?

Thanks again,

David S.

rcrsn51

#52 Post by rcrsn51 »

First of all, what driver are you using for your Docuprint C1110? I am surprised that it would work better in CUPS 1.3 than in 1.4.

We can probably restore the CUPS-PDF driver into CUPS 1.3. However, most applications have a "Print to File" option. Does it work for you?
Google knows of the ones I've asked about.
Please describe.

davids45

#53 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The ppd file is fxlinuxprint.ppd from the fujixerox website - is that an adequate description of the driver or is there a particular file you want to know about? It was an .rpm package that had the driver, etc (fxlinuxprint-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm) and that I could extract.

I've got about half a dozen Pups that print well with 1.3.11.

The most common error message I get with various Pups in Cups from trying to print a test-page after installing and failing is :

""Filter "pstopdffx" for printer "fujixerox" not available: No such file or directory"

This was the gist of the text in the last Google Search I tried.

There are sometimes other messages when the printer wont test-print or the printer itself displays a message something like "PLD error". These seem to be with just one Pup whereas the "Filter "pstopdffx"... " message has happened with about half the Pups that wont print (eg dpups). These are all full installs, by the way.

Just to prove me wrong :oops: , I do have a couple of Pups with Cups-1.4.3 that test-print OK after installation so I haven't replaced that Cups with the older one for those couple.

If you'd like precise details of what Pup gives what message, let me know.

Thanks for any help or advice,

David S.

DaveS

#54 Post by DaveS »

I use a photosmart c4380 combined print/scanner via wifi. The printer connects and operates just fine, but do you think it is possible to use the scan facility given that the device is not parallel, SCUSI, or USB?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#55 Post by rcrsn51 »

davids45 wrote:The ppd file is fxlinuxprint.ppd from the fujixerox website.
I found this package. How are you extracting the RPM? Are you just removing the PPD file and copying it into CUPS? If so, this driver wouldn't work in ANY Puppy. You need all the files in the package. That's why you are getting "No such file or directory".

I have converted it into a PET below. But for some reason, your Docuprint C1110 does not appear in the Make/Model lists. So you have to select the PPD file manually from /usr/share/cups/model/FujXerox.

Also, I have attached a PET for CUPS-PDF that you can test in CUPS 1.3.11.
Attachments
fuji_xerox-1.0.1.pet
(16.01 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
cups_pdf-1.0.pet
(5.21 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 23:28, edited 4 times in total.

rcrsn51

#56 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:I use a photosmart c4380 combined print/scanner via wifi. The printer connects and operates just fine, but do you think it is possible to use the scan facility given that the device is not parallel, SCUSI, or USB?
Get Peasyscan and set up a configuration file that contains the URI of your scanner.

If you really want to use Xsane, it's possible to access your wifi scanner from the command line.

DaveS

#57 Post by DaveS »

Hmmmmmmmmm tricky. CUPS is unable to autodetect my unit, so am unable to complete the config file.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#58 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:Hmmmmmmmmm tricky. CUPS is unable to autodetect my unit, so am unable to complete the config file.
How did you set up the printer?

What name has CUPS assigned to it?

DaveS

#59 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Hmmmmmmmmm tricky. CUPS is unable to autodetect my unit, so am unable to complete the config file.
How did you set up the printer?

What name has CUPS assigned to it?
I run CUPS using the localhost link. Add Printer>select Appsocket/HPjetdirect>enter address (192.168.0.2)>give it a name (no suggestions from CUPS)>select driver>set up options.
At no point does CUPS offer any suggestion as to a printer name.
CUPS cannot autodetect. My guess is for some reason it fails to check a wifi network. CUPS 1.4.6 BTW.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

rcrsn51

#60 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:CUPS cannot autodetect. My guess is for some reason it fails to check a wifi network. CUPS 1.4.6 BTW.
It does, but sometimes CUPS 1.4 is slow to detect a networked printer.

1. Delete your printer.
2. Run Find New Printers a couple of times until CUPS finds it again.
3. If that still doesn't work, connect the printer by USB and let CUPS detect it that way.
4. Or using USB, run "scanimage -L".